Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Aesthetically displeasing sets...

2»

Comments

• GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    edited November 2011
    May I remind you of quite possibly the worst theme ever made.
    http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6495-1
    ....yeah
    haha omg... I forgot how terrible Lego could be in the late 90s. I kid you not, I completely managed to remove all recollection of Time Cruisers from my memory until I revisited your link. Thanks.

PS - I applaud the bold attempt, but it just didn't work out at all for me in the end.
    haha I've got more for you @StuBoy @Odindusk and @vortexdragon
    May I remind you of the rather accurate lego town sets.
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=2849-1
    Going through a mountain range with nothing but just a flight suit isn't very practical..

Lets not forget the 2000's!
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6478-1
    For a set with good parts, it is such a disappointment how they are used, grass inside and just look at that truck, oh dear!
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011
    What about that recent Pirate set? It was a small set built onto what I can only describe as a shapeless lump of plastic with a hole in the middle. This piece is not even proper Lego, it's more or less useless for alternative building and it means the set has a deceptively large box.

There's also that Space Police set. Half Batmobile, half ugly yellow box.

And that ICE train, which has two large sloped front/back pieces which don't fit the model properly.

Oh yes, and most of the Town/City sets in the late 1990s and 2000s were absolute rubbish. Kind of "Lego for people too lazy to build Lego sets".
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited October 2011
    I think I have a new contender for the title of "ugly set of the week"
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3541-1
    It wasnt just the nineties when Lego lost the plot!

Toothy gurn anyone?
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    ^ my god what is that? That's not lego the body is made up of one piece!
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    Wow and I thought the soccer and basketball themes were bad.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    As if I could forget - the Aero Tube Hanger. Quite possibly the worst Lego space station ever made. Looked like it had been put together from pieces of a vacuum cleaner. Stupid gimmick which incredibly they re-used later in another set.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,325
    Good grief I almost forgot about those time cruiser abominations.. At least they had decent parts in them....
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    Yellow, do you own a police dog unit? I find nothing wrong with the set, and, just what do you not like about it? I do agree about the pitstop and the solar sailor, which bring up my philosiphy of never buying down-scaled Star Wars sets such as,
    ISD - aesthetically diapleasing
    Republic Cruiser and attack frigate - Even worse
    AT-TE - Even worse....
    Jabba's sail barge.....
    And may I mention 7111 Droid fighter?
    7141 Naboo Fighter
    7151 Sith Infiltrator
    And the worst for last.... -Drumroll-
    7161 GunGan sub.... A thrown together mass of blue bricks.... 1999 for ya.... You get the mediocore SW, Town Jr, those OTHER space sets, Time Cruisers....
    Need not repeat this list...
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    The thing is with the Time Cruisers, they are absolutely brilliant in theory, but poorly, poorly executed.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    Yellow, do you own a police dog unit? I find nothing wrong with the set, and, just what do you not like about it? I do agree about the pitstop and the solar sailor, which bring up my philosiphy of never buying down-scaled Star Wars sets such as,
    ISD - aesthetically diapleasing
    Republic Cruiser and attack frigate - Even worse
    AT-TE - Even worse....
    Jabba's sail barge.....
    And may I mention 7111 Droid fighter?
    7141 Naboo Fighter
    7151 Sith Infiltrator
    And the worst for last.... -Drumroll-
    7161 GunGan sub.... A thrown together mass of blue bricks.... 1999 for ya.... You get the mediocore SW, Town Jr, those OTHER space sets, Time Cruisers....
    Need not repeat this list...
    Seriously? Even if you don't like the old SW-sets, IMO they are soooo much better than the sports set that came out around the same period. One that has been linked to before, but deserves another link: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3541-1

You can't seriously think that the hockey abomination is better than the Gungan sub?

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,757
    ^^ whats wront with ISD it is a beauty in my eyes. But then horses and course
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,242
    edited November 2011
    ^ Depends which ISD he's referring to. Let's face it, compared with the UCS ISD 10030, the playset (6211) is a bit rubbish......

;-)

That having been said, I fully agree with @Duchessa that there are MUCH worse sets than that out there <shudder?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,757
    ^true it isnt great but looks okay to me
    Another contender for 'ugly set of the week'
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4748-1
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    @Galidorneveragain,

I liked Time Cruisers. Am I strange!?

I must admit it looked like lego through together the remainder of everything they had lying about for this theme, but I still have the flagship 6494, Mystic Mountain Time Lab!

Time Cruisers is mentioned in the lego book by the way.

rich
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 617
    Seeing some of the ugliness from the late 90's/early 00's, it's a wonder that LEGO System survived and thrived. I guess Star Wars and the other licensed themes really DID save the company, as we fanboys would buy anything...although to be fair, at the time, those sets were state-of-the-designing-art from TLG. Flat-bottom ships and studs-on-top construction were present all the way from 1978 to the day that the original Gungan Sub and Sith Infiltrator hit the shelves.

Fast-forward to 2012, and I'm glad that these ships get a recent makeover; it's really painful now to think about re-displaying those early designs compared to everything else available today!
    I liked Time Cruisers. Am I strange!?
    Yes.

(But then again, I quite liked star justice, so I am too)