Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Giving up on Star Wars

2»

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Or...

"Sell some Lego sets I must..."
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Eh, completionism is way overrated. That said, I do have a complete Vikings line, which makes me very happy. Of course, if a line consists of only seven sets it isn't that hard to do. I also expect to be complete on the Modular Buildings series as soon as I get Pet Shop and Town Hall. It sure helps that I got the all my sets when they were in production, because I certainly wouldn't pay today's prices for some of the retired sets. Also, it helps that both product lines are simply awesome in their entirety.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited February 2012
    I consider myself to somewhat be a completionist by nature, but I had to draw some lines when it came to LEGO. I decided that if I want to be happy within this hobby, then I simply could not blindly buy entire themes up. I've learned to base my collecting on choosing sets for their individual merits and appeal to me.

I can certainly see how it would be fun to say that I have every Star Wars set (or w/e), but who has space/money for that? I think it would make me feel a bit... hollow inside? Because in most themes there are both great and weak sets. Having those weak/uninteresting sets would constantly feel like a regret to me because A) I don't like them, B) they cost money that could have went toward something I actually like, and C) again, I don't like them! Why do I have them?? "To have a complete theme" is not a valid reason to me.
  • canuhandle23canuhandle23 Member Posts: 104
    I mean I will get the complete marvel sets that involve the avengers. Besides that I buy one set thats around 500 pieces for me to play with. Then the other 3 purchases of the month are sets that retail for over 150 that i sit on. Then wait to sell.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,961
    @LegoFanTexas im guessing at least 4,000.

I do accept I will never own every lego set ever. There are plenty of sets that I dont like. But with Star Wars being such a big part of my life I want to complete it but at the same time it is so daunting that I feel like throwing my hands up in the air and calling it time. However I do love the chase and when i get the set I want it is a great high.

It is interesting that drdavewatford wouldn't bother getting all now. I think like you guys say im going to have to breathe deep accept it will never be complete and then force choke someone to make myself feel better :-D
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,961
    I know what you mean I sold off all my pirate ships recently was very hard to let them go. But at least you can say that you have owned them at some point.

Sorry i meant 4000 bricks not 4000 tubs lol. I need a lego store near me
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    I'm going to cut down on Star Wars LEGO now... Not out of a completist attitude but because the sets don't 'mix' with others very well.

I just got the Millennium Falcon for example, built it and shoved it on display... that was it. I can't think of a lot to do with it as part of a larger project - it will look odd in a city or as part of a LEGO train setup... lol The Star Wars stuff only really works with other Star Wars stuff and, as such, it's very limiting.

On the other hand, I've recently got into Harry Potter LEGO and it's a world of difference in terms of 'mixability'. I've got my eye on train sets, medieval villages, some city stuff - even the new Friends sets to MOC a Weasley sweet shop... I'm having much more fun now than I ever did with Star Wars LEGO.

Don't get me wrong - it's nice enough... but I want to expand my experience and for me, Star Wars LEGO hasn't enabled me to do it.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I share the same dilemma, of less space/privacy and getting dirty looks from the missus to get rid of items me and my kid are not building OR the items I am not selling on BL and here locally. So right now, my whole Lego inventory is split into 3 rooms. I am selling the items slowly and have stopped buying for now.

But for me, completing a theme was never the aim. As there are too many sets which we do not like and there are some we have to think twice before buying. But I guess City will always be the top favorite, and then the licensed themes. Still want to collect POP, 4 of POTC (got both the ships), and Star Wars my collection is Zero :P Guess my son will collect when he is old enough or rich enough :P
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Can I suggest one of the Admins split this thread up into: (1)Giving up on Star Wars and (2)LFT's Family Room. ;)
    Or alternatively could maybe people actually discuss the topic of the thread?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    edited February 2012
    lol, nice title

Title has been restored
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2012
    Please people, stay on topic. ;o)
    @Amiko thats the problem I have hit upon and I want to be a MOC more really than a collector although I do love collecting and building sets and aside from creating a UCS thing with the star wars lego what else can you create. But it is such a large bit of me I cant really let it go like I can my other SW figures
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    I was considering giving up on starwars but having just got the three new planets I really like these a lot cant wait for more of them. Im just going to be selective instead on buying everything because it says starwars. If I like it I will buy it if I dont I will buy something else :). Only thing which concerns me is missing out on some cool minifigures but suppose i can always buy them on there own :)
    Thats even worse there more expensive not that I complain if I sell them.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    I've just got back into collecting SW Lego after a break of almost a decade, I think I bought my last new set in 2005 (the x-wing and yodas hut on Dagoba). The reason I stopped was, I guess, a combination of age (being a teenager and playing with lego isn't necessarily perceived as cool) and money (being a teenager I had other things to spend it on). Now in my mid-twenties I'm getting back into collecting and have managed to get some of the models I missed out on for fairly reasonable prices off of ebay (Republic gunship to name but one).

What I've had to come to terms with, and evidently I'm not the only one, is that I'm never going to own everything. Infact, tragically, I'm not going to probably even own several of the models I'd really like. The UCS falcon and Star Destroyer both sell for well over a grand on ebay :-( and I suppose its unlikely that they'll be re-released. So, for now, I have my limited budget and aim to get the sets that'll make me happiest, just got to save up the pennies for my SSD before thats condemned to the realm of "I wish I'd got that when I had the chance"
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited February 2012
    I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but I only collect the exclusives like 10188, 10198, 7965, 6211 (etc). I am mainly into City.
    I guess city is even worse to try and complete as there is so much stuff to collect
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    I was considering giving up on starwars but having just got the three new planets I really like these a lot cant wait for more of them. Im just going to be selective instead on buying everything because it says starwars. If I like it I will buy it if I dont I will buy something else :). Only thing which concerns me is missing out on some cool minifigures but suppose i can always buy them on there own :)
    I think im with you at first i just wanted any star wars but because of limited funds I missed out on some good deals on sets i would much rather have got. I am trying to limit myself to only original trilogy sets.... thats why I'm trying to get a Slave I now.