Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Alien Chestburster

2»

Comments

• blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    edited December 2016
    I got my 6177 disc yesterday (it arrived in the mail, one of several shipments out there, its #2 of #5). I was surprised how translucent it was. I was expecting it to be a darker Dark Red. It's not regular red, just not the thick, luscious quality I was expecting. I wonder if that was a psychological expectation based on the fact I spent 40 bucks for it?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,916
    blogzilly said:
    I got my 6177 disc yesterday (it arrived in the mail, one of several shipments out there, its #2 of #5). I was surprised how translucent it was. I was expecting it to be a darker Dark Red. It's not regular red, just not the thick, luscious quality I was expecting. I wonder if that was a psychological expectation based on the fact I spent 40 bucks for it?
    I believe LEGO has modified its dark red in recent years. But I don't believe Bricklink identifies it as a separate color like old gray vs. bluish gray.
    blogzillykiki180703
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,804
    Whilst building my UCS Falcon last year, I received plenty of comments about how opaque the dark red 2x2 tiles were.  It's not something I had seen before so for the sake of completeness, I ordered a replacement set so that I'd have the ability to swap them out in the future.  A little more difficult with the round disc though.
    blogzillykiki180703
    OK, I got it started. Had to swap out some parts in Phase I as I call it, the base, because I'm a moron and didnt realize that Sellers sent me the wrong parts when I ordered the parts. SO I improvised. I overcame. I adapted. Thomas Highway would be proud.

Here is a link to the finished base on my Flickr page, it's in a sub-album for the Chesty, with in progress shots for the base unit overall. I'll try to finish the rest tonight if I have the time (and the parts - fingers crossed)

https://flic.kr/p/PrB4T5
    Jackad7kiki180703
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Which are the wrong parts? The notched, rather than notchless pieces?
    Yeah those but I also got sent wedges instead I'd have to locate. Also in the back I subbed in for one of the large white wedges because apparently there are two kinds of these, I was short on the correct kind.
    Aw flipping Hell..I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize that two more pieces were wrong. I'll certainly be fine tooth checking every BL order from now on. This is on me. I had the body mostly assembled then couldn't start the assembly to the blood because of the longer red Technic pieces. 

I think i have an unopened Fire Truck with these two parts, need to find the right box in the...gulp...garage. Or I can rip the larger Fire Engine from this year I already built and rip it up.

Ch-ch-ch-choices!
    YES! I just gotta say...today...I deserved some easy.

Hm...I should figure out how to get my set list imported to Bricklink.

TheFewkiki180703
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 535
    edited December 2016
    ^I just built a set from almost all bricklinked parts and watching @blogzilly's progression was painfully familiar. When you realized you done goofed and ordered the wrong piece/were sent the wrong piece/missed a piece when ordering but youre already half way through your project, so you then resort to cannablizing sets you dont care as much about in a doomed effort to complete your project in one go.
    It's complete. I just am spent today. Not just from Chesty, from other stuff. Will post some photos later, and then I gotta find a place to do a halfway decent photo shoot.
    MaffyDkiki180703
    I'm living in dread of the Arvos doing the Space Jockey.
    TheFewkiki180703catwrangler
    Ooooooo...I'd been thinking all weekend what to try on my own. I had a little involvement in some Alien product a few years ago and I love the film series. Since I'm not yet at the skill level to try what I really wanna make I figured I would try something more manageable. So maybe something else from Alien. 

I was thinking maybe the Facehugger in an Egg, the Dog Alien, or the Queen.  But the original Jockey is a flipping SWEET AS HELL idea. Of course...I say that now but I doubt I have the skill level for that as well.

Maybe I should MOC a car or something first.  :(
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,543
    Try a mini Jockey first.
    There was a Space Jockey made of mainly Technic pieces a few years ago. It looked pretty good but was huge. I'd love to see an Arvo Brothers version.
    TheFew said:
    Try a mini Jockey first.
    For me the main issue is that I've only been at this a year. I've built a butt load of sets in that time to try and learn, but I am not intimately familiar with the inventory. 

But I like that idea. ;)
    TheFewkiki180703
    blogzilly said:
    TheFew said:
    Try a mini Jockey first.
    For me the main issue is that I've only been at this a year. I've built a butt load of sets in that time to try and learn, but I am not intimately familiar with the inventory. 

But I like that idea. ;)
    I'm the same. i really struggle when i have to design my own stuff.
    @TheFew How long have you been building LEGO, estimated you don't have to be totally specific I'm just curious. :)
    @blogzilly

About 6 years as a kid and then about 6 years as an adult. But I am a scientist type without are artistic bone in my body...

• steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 191
    @blogzilly if you don't mind me asking and if you actually know what can I expect to pay to complete the model? (Assuming disc is £40) pm if you would care to discuss. 

Don't want to jump in with two feet until I have a rough figure. 

Thanks 
    @steveomcl I don't really know because it depends so much on what you might already have. For some people, say, if they were building/collecting between 2001-2006 when most of the parts that make up the hard to find ones in this buildcame out? Easy peezy. Or, if you do a bit of digging beforehand and see if you can wipe out a bunch of parts in a set you might have bought anyway I might recommend doing that. 

For example...or a couple of examples. Several older prehistoric and wild animal Creator sets have a lot of the Chestburster parts. I wanted some of those sets, but didn't figure all of that out until after the fact or late in the process so it did not help me until way too late. But stuff like 4251395, a Dark Red 1x2 Plate w/Fork and its counterpart are hard to get and I think only came in Wild Hunters. I would have bought Wild Hunters used on eBay had I figured that out...because I wanted the set. And that isn't a piece you can sub out. There are a LOT you can.

A lot of the white pieces come from train sets, and I discovered some of those you can acquire by buying loose train cars on eBay rather than buying the parts through Bricklink. That's if you want the extra parts. Why do that? Because on the white parts here is what I found. A lot of what I got from Bricklink was yellowed. On eBay, the photography is just better. So I could see what I was buying better. And I could use the extra bricks.

So I subbed out some of the parts I had bought off Bricklink when I picked this up on eBay. The photo is only yellow because of the reflected light of the cardboard.

Sorry my answer is shit. I probably spent 2-3 times what I needed to on this after the final dust settled, and I kept poor records but I may have spent 160-180. But I have a ton of leftover parts and sets that are a part of this. But I had a goal of getting the best parts I could, I also made several mistakes that cost me money, like not knowing parts and passing on a 32 dollar disc because I thought it was too expensive.

sid3windrDoctorMcGann
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 191
    @blogzilly thanks for the fantastic detailed answer. Unfortunately my interest in Lego has only extended as far as a handful of UCS sets so I have no library of spares and wouldn't care for sets just to retrieve a couple of pieces. 

This set has really made an impression on me and I'd love to build it! Your answer will help me to decide whether or not I can really afford to do this. 

Happy new year to you kind sir.
    @steveomcl And to you as well.

I still think, if you have not already, that you should buy the instructions. They are cheap. Load the file into BL, do some digging. It certainly wouldn't hurt.