Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Leicester Square store opening: what time to arrive?

Comments

• SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764
    @RogerKirk I definitely wouldn't have made the trip if they hadn't been offering the free Lego Store.
    Ian_Skiki180703
  • KnightOfNiKnightOfNi Bristol UKMember Posts: 12
    Had a mate go in for me today.  Asked him to pick up Brick Bank and a Year of the Rooster.  He got told they are not selling that set and it was out by mistake yesterday. So then I asked him  to get me a technic motor for me to push over the £125. They didn't have the motor, so I asked him to get one of the Minecraft figure packs. They didn't have those either, so I said to just pick up a couple of keyrings. So an hour after going for me, he got to the till, to be told there were no Lego shops left. I told him to dump the lot and get out of there. Tesco 3 for 2 on toys starts today, my money is a lot better spent there than at the Lego Store where all the opening weekend offers are all gone before the weekend even starts!  I now owe my friend a few beers next time I see him...
    SeanTheCollectorMattDawsonsid3windrkiki180703AdeelZubair
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    Did anyone see the Lego Leicester Square T Shirts in store? Can't find any info for those except for a few sold on ebay.
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 66
    @iso3200 They were tucked away at the end of the run of shelves on the wall immediately in front of the entrance; definitely easy to miss and only a handful left last night.
    Ah. That explains it. Thanks.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Saves me a trip tomorrow if the main promo isn't available. Shame really but I don't have the patience to fight my way into London and the store itself to buy something I'd pick up discounted elsewhere. A Tuesday morning mid-Feb sounds more appealing to appreciate the shop itself. 
    Ian_Skiki180703
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    In London next week with work so I might try and pop in for a look around
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    This business of watching to see who'll sell the first Lester on ebay is quite entertaining.
    SeanTheCollectorkiki180703
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 406

I stopped by outside at 6:30 last night and took a few photos, but couldn't queue as had to be at a show at 7:30.  Staff outside were very good though, got me a couple of store leaflets and bus stickers (but not a passport). 

Was considering going another day, but now they seem to be out of some of the offers and sets I wanted, so decided against it.  Thought I'd saved myself a fortune but instead spent it at Tesco's on Lego in the 3 for 2!

This business of watching to see who'll sell the first Lester on ebay is quite entertaining.
    Well 2 of them have live bids so will be sold, first at £1510+ and the second more recently listed one at £510+. Everyone has added a few freebies (me included!) but I don't think that will be significant to the final prices. I'm happy for mine not to be sold :)
    Do you guys think they'll still be a need to queue even next week? That may scupper my planned visit, I don't like queuing! 
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 519
    @mmozzano I've just been there and had to queue outside for about 10 minutes. So not too bad. No queue to speak of at the tills.
    snowhitiemmozzanokiki180703
    @adiemc Oh that's good the, next week should be fine. 

Thanks! 
    adiemckiki180703
  • boshoodaboshooda Member Posts: 75
    Hello, Are they still giving out the scratch cards ?
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 519
    @boshooda yes they are. Unsurprisingly I won the parrot poly!
  • boshoodaboshooda Member Posts: 75
    Ok , thankyou.
    adiemckiki180703
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 552
    iso3200 said:
    Ah. That explains it. Thanks.
    Restocked this morning, had dozens but they all looked really cheap.
    Cheap? I didn't think anything was cheap in a brand store ;-)
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,994
    edited November 2016
    Cheep? I thought a parrot went 'squawk'.

edit: talking about T-shirts not polybags, sorry!
    adiemckiki180703
  • WhateveristWhateverist BelgiumMember Posts: 31
    Went back today for some gifts. Rooster will be back in December, no Lester for me, but I picked up a T-shirt. They're £10 and pretty basic but still, nice memento.

Chatted with some staff and the impression I got was that yesterday was a nightmare behind the scenes - it sounded like they had technical difficulties and underestimated the crowd.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    Well 2 of them have live bids so will be sold, first at £1510+ and the second more recently listed one at £510+. Everyone has added a few freebies (me included!) but I don't think that will be significant to the final prices. I'm happy for mine not to be sold :)
    Remember on ebay, bids don't necessarily mean sold. Especially when people list things like this at high prices.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 611
    CCC said:
    Remember on ebay, bids don't necessarily mean sold. Especially when people list things like this at high prices.
    Are you saying that sellers sometimes have multiple accounts and bid to attract attention, then sucker in a normal bidder... That would never happen on eBay, would it? :)
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,339
    Thanks to Leicester Lester, I've come out of LEGO retirement... it's not an addiction, I swear.
    GothamConstructionCoOrmskirkBricksBrickDancerkiki180703SirBenAdeelZubairgmonkey76
    ^ no, the opposite happens too. Very high bids from two accounts in the last seconds just to wreck the auction.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,328
    Hi folks,
    Been abroad for a late break and have just got back to the UK.  Can anyone clarify for me what (if any) promotions are on for the Leicester Square branch?  From memory, it's usually a three day thing, with a t-shirt one day, a set of three minifigs another day and a model Lego store on another day, with qualifying purchases.

I could get up there late this afternoon or early tomorrow.  Would depend on what the giveaways were, and what the chances were of there being any left!

Thanks! 
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    It's a totally different opening store offers. A slim chance of getting a Lester, they've run out of shops, you might get a parrot. They sell t-shirts if they haven't run out. 
    BooTheMightyHamsterkiki180703
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,328
    @cheshirecat
    Ok, thanks.  Sounds like it's not worth a special trip - I only work about 10 mins away, so I'll pop in on Monday and have a look.
    obi_g
  • HumdrumHumdrum BelgiumMember Posts: 71
    I attended the opening on Thursday, and started queuing at 10:30am. Around 11 o'clock our queue was moved to the front of the building, where staff members were giving away or throwing gingerbread houses at/in the audience. I'm very happy to have received one, since I let it slip last year.

Once inside the store (I think I was in the second or third wave) there wasn't a whole lot I could do except crowdsurfing, because I'm not all that tall. The original plan was to buy a VW Beetle and Maze set to quickly reach the 125 pound mark. Unfortunatly I haven't found/reached either one.

So I stacked up on lots of smaller sets, which was probably a better idea anyway because I had to fit it all in my luggage. Other than the London skyline set I haven't purchased anything else interesting.

I managed to get all the goodies I wanted, with the mini store being the most important to me. Sadly I didn't win a Lester minifig, but I was never after that one to begin with.
    All in all I have mixed feelings about this event, on the one hand it was the first time I met other AFOLs which was nice. The queuing outside was made bareable thanks to all the friendly people I met, so thanks for that! On the other hand, I couldn't enjoy a whole lot inside the store because it was so so crowded.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to organise those box signings in another location? Let's say.. the adjacent M&M store? Buy Lego, walk to M&M store, stuff yourself with candy while having your set signed. Wouldn't that be a 'treat'? ;)
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,217
    M+M...after approx 4 seconds of being in the store you want to curl up in a ball and sob. Or is that just me? 
    Ian_S
    It's a totally different opening store offers. A slim chance of getting a Lester, they've run out of shops, you might get a parrot. They sell t-shirts if they haven't run out. 
    if they're being given out numerically, someone on reddit picked up lester 274 of 275 earlier today, so this means there's 1 left...
    if anyone picked up a store set they dont actually want, could you let me know please :) thank you!
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 406
    obi_g said:
    if they're being given out numerically, someone on reddit picked up lester 274 of 275 earlier today, so this means there's 1 left...
    The scratch card gives the number of the Lester you've won.
    caterham7 said:
    obi_g said:
    The scratch card gives the number of the Lester you've won.
    I hadn't realized that. When I scratched the card and it showed Lester, the lady at the till grabbed it and headed off to a manager to get the actual figure! I assumed they didn't want me to keep the scratch card in case I tried to claim a second one! I would have asked to keep the card if I had know it was unique. A bit late now :)
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    My word! Those are rich prices on ebay. The advantage of being an early seller I suppose.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 815
    I went in this afternoon (Sunday). There was a 15 minute queue, the store was rammed, but the queues at the tills were fine.
    Apart from the London Bus sticker sheet given out in the queue, there were no promotional items left: no free sets, no scratch cards. Lots of London Skyline sets in stock, though.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    ^Sounds like the opening event was an Omnishambles (UK English) or a Cluster F**k (US English).  To run out of promotional material during a promotion... Well done Lego!
  • lotusomega0195dlotusomega0195d Member Posts: 3
    omnium said:
    I went in this afternoon (Sunday). There was a 15 minute queue, the store was rammed, but the queues at the tills were fine.
    Apart from the London Bus sticker sheet given out in the queue, there were no promotional items left: no free sets, no scratch cards. Lots of London Skyline sets in stock, though.
    By all accounts, I may have picked up the last Lester at about 1pm. I was well chuffed and unless that start selling for over £5k, he won't be going anywhere. It made my day.
    MegtheCatkiki180703snowhitiestlux
    Briking said:
    ^Sounds like the opening event was an Omnishambles (UK English) or a Cluster F**k (US English).  To run out of promotional material during a promotion... Well done Lego!
    Pretty standard for Lego.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    edited November 2016
    Popped back to the Leicester sq. store 25 mins before closing tonight. Whilst I didn't get in and they closed the remaining queue of about 15 people, I asked if all the Lester's had been found - YES. Have all the scratchcards been given out - YES. 

A few minutes later this was independently confirmed away from the store at Piccadilly by asking a friendly looking gent carrying a large City set as well as others if he had been given a scratchcard - NO. I then enquired if they said they had run out, and he said yes, they said they didn't have any left. I thanked him and carried on.

So, no more Lester's until marketing finish "working on it" like I was told on Thursday. Mind you, they told me it would take some time. T-shirts were also mentioned as being a few months off, yet were on sale later that same day. I was disappointed to learn that "a range of Lester merchandise" is not on the cards, they prefer to keep location unique merchandise to a minimum. I'm still hoping for a classy Lester tote bag but it's unlikely.
    stlux
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Here's a random question; is it easy to get here from Heathrow Airport, or is there an alternative store closer to the airport?
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    edited November 2016
    Heathrow is at one end of the Piccadilly Line (London Underground), which is also the line for Leicester Square. The other London shops are more difficult to get to, and the walk to the Westfield shop from the tube station is much longer. 
    Heathrow is at one end of the Piccadilly Line (London Underground), which is also the line for Leicester Square. The other London shops are more difficult to get to, and the walk to Westfield from the tube station is much longer. 
    Google Maps tells me that it's either a 35-minute taxi ride, or an hour long bus/train ride. Is that accurate?

There's also the 5-hour walking and 2-hour cycling options, but pretty sure I won't be going for those :-P
    You'd be lucky to get there by taxi in under an hour :-O
    Tube is your best bet and should be quite easy.
    Jern92kiki180703
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 193
    If you're in a taxi then Westfield at Shepherds Bush could be quicker. For the train you can take the underground to Hammersmith and then change to the Hammersmith and City line to Wood Lane. The change means that it's easier to just go to Leicester Square. Any taxi ride in London is a bit of a risk if the traffic is bad. The Westfield store will probably be quieter as well but Leicester Square looks like a more interesting visit.

A couple of things to bear in mind. There could be a strike by underground workers in the next few months. These only last for 24-48 hours but if you're unlucky then the train option disappears and traffic will be worse. The Lego stores will be much busier if it's a school break.
    stluxJern92kiki180703
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2016
    According to the TFL site it's 57 minutes on the Piccadilly line from Heathrow Terminal 4 (assuming you're flying Malaysian Airlines - shorter if you use a different airline arriving at T5) to Leicester Square. No changes required.

Looking up the car ride at this time of the day it's already 48 minutes (at 07:00 UK time), likely to be rather a bit longer during peak times. Somebody living in/near London can probably provide an accurate estimate :)
    Jern92kiki180703
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,341
    Having visited 4 Lego London stores last week, the Leicester Square one is definitely the more interesting (size, sculptures, mosaic maker). The others are pretty much your standard Lego store.
    snowhitiekiki180703
    Thanks for the responses all! I'm asking on behalf of a friend who's traveling to London next year, though it is technically also on my behalf as I'm asking him to pick up a few things for me from the LEGO store when he visits. :-P
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 193
    One thing I want to check at Leicester Square is whether the staff have as much time to help. When I was in Stratford last month someone took the time to talk through what I was trying to do with Power Functions parts and made several visits back to the stockroom to retrieve things for me to look at. I wonder whether those parts are a target for shoplifters as they used to keep a better selection in a box next to the Technic sets.
    I saw the staff being very helpful for a couple and their child browsing the Star Wars section.  Once you get the attention of a staff member, they seem happy to give as much help as you need.
    But with the store as busy as it was this weekend, getting hold of a staff member could mean a bit of a wait.
    To be fair, they seem to have a LOT of staff on when compared to other stores.
    koshkakiki180703