Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you a Fabuland fan ?

Comments

• NeilCrosbyNeilCrosby United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    edited November 2016
    I used to love Fabuland when I was little (male, UK), and still have a few of the figs upstairs somewhere. At Brick Live up in Birmingham last week, one of the exhibits was a wonderful Fabuland display.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30615307252/in/[email protected]/
    snowhitieLegogramcatwranglerbookmumbandit778LEGO_Dad77AllBrick
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,287
    I can echo @snowhitie and confirm Fabuland was big in Belgium. from what I recall pretty much every toy store had a decent selection of the theme and promoted it actively.
    catwranglerKerre
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,207
    @NeilCrosby I didn't get to go to bricklive but would of liked to. Now I know there was a fabuland display I am sad I missed it. 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,848
    Aanchir said:
    Fabuland was before my time, so as a kid I mostly knew it as the source of certain unusual parts (like the cauldron from Fright Knights, which for years still had the "Fabuland" logo on the bottom). I did have a childhood experience with a Fabuland-style figure because my grandparents had this set at their house (probably one of my uncle's childhood toys), but not with actual Fabuland sets or figures.

On the whole, Fabuland is very cute and charming, but I've always been struck with the discrepancy between how AFOLs talk about Fabuland versus how they talk about other preschool themes like Jack Stone/4 Juniors. Obviously they had very different aesthetics (Jack Stone was rugged and action-oriented, while Fabuland was quaint and bucolic), but in terms of building level and target age range they were about equal. In fact, #121 has the exact same piece count as #4600, and #3682 had only slightly more pieces than #4657. And neither theme was particularly realistic.

As an adult I learned more about Fabuland, including that it was one of the LEGO Group's first real forays into a story-driven IP. Years before Bionicle got chapter books and direct-to-DVD movies, Fabuland had picture books and animated stories on videocassette. Pretty impressive considering how many years it would be before LEGO would create another theme so story-driven.

During a visit to the LEGO Idea House in Billund I learned that Fabuland was fairly successful in Europe (hence its roughly 10-year lifespan) but never really caught on in the United States, which is probably part of why most of my exposure to it was online and most lots of used LEGO my parents picked up (even from that era) didn't contain Fabuland parts.
    I think the loathing for Jack Stone comes from the lack of building involved. For example, you can assemble a medium-sized Fabuland set any way you want- it was made of bricks. But take a look at the Jack Stone large white plane (forget the name...), and how many ways do the parts reasonable go together?
    Not having that set I can't really speak from experience, but it seems to me the parts could go together a number of ways. It's not really a fair comparison, though, because Fabuland didn't really have ANY big aircraft, and if it had they might've been just as specialized. After all, when you compare smaller Fabuland and Jack Stone aircraft — like #3625 from Fabuland versus #4614 or #4615 from Jack Stone — the Fabuland aircraft has both fewer parts and more specialized ones.

I think @catwrangler's suggestions about the nature of Jack Stone's reputation are a bit more on point. Particularly about how Fabuland existed alongside Town sets for more experienced builders while Jack Stone didn't. It's probably also fair to say that its "cool" aesthetic missed the mark, as many things did in the early naughts. But as far as builds go it wasn't really any simpler than Fabuland.
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,824
    Nice place they've got there! :D
    bookmum
  • MichaelSmithMichaelSmith AdelaideMember Posts: 13
    bookmum said:
    I would be interested know if Fabuland was more popular with girls than boys. If I was aged 7 or 8 or so today I would probably be more obsessed with collecting Sylvanian Families than lego. There is something about animals and dolls house style accessories that girls go barmy over. What do you other folks think? 
    It would be interesting if it was. As I noted in another thread, there were no official "girls' themes" in Lego in the 1980's, so perhaps Fabuland became the de facto girls' theme for that era?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,441
    I (male) had a bunch of small Fabuland sets. I don't recall asking for it specifically when I was little, but I still have it... ;)
    A treat for all you Fabu-fans. I displayed my collection at the Caterham Model Show - organised by @Harlquinth and the London Afols! Get ready for awesome colours...

stluxomniumAllBrickLegogramcatwranglerLittleLoriCymbeline

omniumAllBrickLegogramcatwranglerLittleLoriMAGNINOMINISUMBRACymbeline

omniumstluxAllBrickLegogramsid3windrcatwranglerLittleLoriCymbeline
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 199
    I do remember Fabuland from when I was little. I do remember my older brothers had a classroom and a bus. Probably a couple of others but I can't remember.
    It seems like a good theme for young children and it's equivalent today would be the easy to build sets I guess.
    I'd probably buy some of the sets as the minifigs and builds look pretty cute and would go well on a shelf.

• Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,451
    I only had a few FL sets as a child. I remember Ricky Racoon on a motorbike? Off to ebay to relive my childhood!
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 199
    Are any pieces made specifically for Fabuland still in use today? I know i've seen a few lightsaber hilts pop up in other sets for example.
    Stay away from eBay @Speedman29. That's my place to drool over Fabuland!! (but resist buying because I am poor!!) 
    Quite a few Fabuland pieces are popping up in sets now @Charmiefcb. Cooking pots, brooms, bread sticks!! 

Charmiefcbcatwrangler
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2017
    The broom and the cooking pot at least. Broom is actually called "Fabuland broom" at Lego I believe; the cooking pot has the Fabuland logo filed off in the mold.

Also the phone handset I believe is from Fabuland.
    So great to see it all displayed like that, and that the kids of today are getting to play with it!
    bookmumLittleLori
    It was amazing how the children there just went straight to it and instantly started to play. I know it's all very old and precious to me - so there were a few "be careful it's old" moments - but I loved having it be played with. The jail proved very popular. There was a lot of stuffing as many figures as possible in jail - maybe Lego is on to something with their million City police sets. The planes were a hit too. 
    AanchirLittleLoristluxbandit778Cymbeline
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,511
    No. I am not a fan.
    But it's sooooo cute @TheFew
    TheFewMaffyDsid3windr
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,511
    bookmum said:
    But it's sooooo cute @TheFew
    Yeah but, no but, yeah but.
    MaffyDbookmum
  • HenkdeVriesHenkdeVries NetherlandsMember Posts: 80
    My parents still have my stash of Fabuland, I remember loving it as a kid! And now when we are there, my 4-year old enjoys it too. I remember having the merry-go-round, a boat, a large bus, some cars and some other small buildings too. Everything is a bit dusty but still ok for their age. It was pretty succesfull in the Netherlands I guess, it was in the catalogs for quite some time in my youth.

I also like that the building instructions are more story-driven, you can read with your kid and build at the same time. Ah good times!
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,703
    edited September 2017

My younger brother had Fabuland. So obviously I hated it, just to get on his nerves! I think I was a bit too old and was into System by then... we still have all our Fabuland stuff at my parents house I think. Not sure who would play with it now - probably my older brother's youngest children would when they go to see the grandparents... (my youngest is 7 and has completely passed them by).

@bookmum - what filter do you use to get the photos all 'rotoscope' looking? It's a cute look, but you might miss a lot of fine detail in the photos. YMMV.

I haven't a clue if I took the pics on any particular setting @MaffyD. I usually use my phone but the quality isn't great so I was using a borrowed tablet!! 
    MaffyD
    I can't believed no one has questioned why Lionel is riding a dragon... 
    Why is Lionel riding a dragon @bookmum ? :-)
    sid3windr
    Thanks for asking @MaffyD. There were dragons dotted around the event and people had to find them. As Lionel is Mayor he got to ride on the one watching over the town. Why he didn't put his cup of tea down though I can not answer!! 
    MaffyDLittleLoriMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    He's a suave lion who appreciates tea. I dig it :-)
    catwrangler
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 353
    I just saw that Falcon on Brothers Brick this morning.  I don't know much about Fabuland and it's not really my thing but man, is that a really cool build. 
    Thanks @LostInTranslation. I have had a couple of folks from my LUG show me the picture too. It's brilliant. Just brilliant!! 
    That is the greatest thing I've seen this week. 

@bookmum - Lionel would get on well with this dragon I think:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/10/19/breathes-fire-drinks-tea/

Apologies for the non-Fabuland post, but I saw the picture and instantly thought of this thread! And it is a good looking dragon whose colours would fit in well with Fabuland. Even if she or he is a bit spikey!

ricecakePumpkin_3CK5
    That is pretty cool. Would look good in Elves world!! 
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 778
    I think there's a certain eeriness to them - amongst other older minifigs. Like Five Nights At Freddy's typ'a deal lol

But that MF is just bonkers cool.
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635

What model can’t be improved by a fabuland tree?  They look like modern art interpretations of trees to me, so seem to work well in my city.  But Farnsworth house needed one as a permanent addition.  I remember that fabuland existed as a kid, but never had any.  It probably seemed too juniorized at the time.  But as an adult, there is a certain charm to the elements, over & above just the trees.  Playing around with ideas in my head for a fabuland brownstone modular, but it might have to remain just an idea.  
    snowhitiecatwranglersid3windrBumblepantsmak0137
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,104
    edited November 2017
    ^ Nice use of that tree @M1J0E !!  Love your Farnsworth House too. 

I'm still trying to find something about this Fabuland prototype tree... but no one has any info on it... 

Oh crap.... I already posted this on page 1..... nevermind.... ;-))

sid3windr
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635
    Thanks @Istokg!  I’d like to plop a few more of them on my display architecture sets, as it’s just something different, but Farnsworth House seems to be one with just enough open green area to actually pull it off, looking like it was meant to be there.  That’s a cool prototype tree!  Good luck finding info on it.    
    Hey Fabufans. I was at the London Brick Show at Olympia last Sunday displaying my Fabuland. I was really impressed how many people said they remembered it and had it as a child. Lots of "ooh they should bring this back". Everyone I talked to was lovely and friendly so if anyone on here was there it was nice to meet you!
    BumblepantsstluxKungFuKennypxchrisSpeedman29sid3windrsnowhitieLittleLoricatwrangler
    Ricky helped me tidy up at the end.
    BumblepantsstluxMaffyDKungFuKennySpeedman29sid3windrsnowhitiecatwrangler
    Fabuland Airport has had an extension !
    sid3windrcatwrangler
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 850
    edited September 2019
    I’m really enjoying looking back through this thread, and your collection is quite impressive @bookmum .

I just got a copy of #3634 recently (all the way from Belgium!), but I despair of ever amassing any significant percentage of Fabuland sets (started too late and too many competing themes!). They do provide a nice break from the unrelenting greyness of Star Wars though...
    pxchrisBumblepantsGibbo1959MaffyDLittleLoricatwranglerCymbeline
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2019
    Some of the latest FABULAND additions to my LEGO Collectors Guide... includes 10 unknown Fabuland  (figure) sets that were tested out in several Danish toy stores, but never actually put into production worldwide.  

Here is the back of the pack of 8 of these unknown sets (from the collection of my Italian LEGO friend Andrea).  I had never seen these before... all with the otherwise never used (for Fabuland) 38xx set numbers. 

Here are a pair of Fabuland figures (from my German collector friend Olaf)... showing a pair of Fabuland bottle tops from the LEGOLAND Billund store...

KungFuKennysid3windrstluxcatwranglerKerreAleyditabandit778
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 614
    edited September 2019
    Fabufans maybe interested in a couple of Fabuland articles we published at New  Elementary:

Fabuland Lives On: The Colours

Fabuland Lives On: The Elements

and another is due to be published soon, with a final fourth being written at the moment.

KungFuKennysnowhitiestluxdmcc0pxchrisLittleLoricatwranglerKerrebandit778
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    I’m a 43 year old Englishman and I’m really enjoying this thread. Keep it up! I remember having Fabuland stuff at school but I don’t think I ever connected it to my regular Lego at home. It was two totally separate things in my head as a four year old.

By the way, I loved the Fabuland cameos in the second Lego Movie. A nice little touch :-)
    KungFuKennysid3windrdmcc0LittleLoricatwrangler
    @DeMontes I read the one about the elements (I even put a comment - the one about Hannah's lawnmower - that's me!). I couldn't find the other article so thanks for the link!
    DeMontes
    @Istokg that's interesting about Danish only release. The first two sets listed on brickset don't appear on the picture of the original Town so I have always been a bit curious about them.