Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Does cashback sometimes track at silly money

legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hey, I just logged into a cashback account, and noticed a rather high amount had been logged by the cashback site in relation to an Asda Direct purchase. I've double-checked my orders at asda's website, and everything shows as normal, my confirmation emails (which i still had) also show as normal, but somehow the cashback site has registered a transaction at three times the price paid for that date.

I haven't been able to check the card history yet... but am now worried. So, in the meantime, does anybody know if this sort of thing happens with cashback sites (i.e. they track at a much higher amount than paid)?

If not, then it looks like Asda might be overcharging our cards... if so, what do I do about this?

Cheers,

Moved to Buying and Selling by YC 1/23/12

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited January 2012
    Okay, just checked card statement... which thankfully seems fine.

SO, the obvious question: How did it track at 300% of purchase price? I've had plenty of zero's. but never 300% UP!

To mods: perhaps re-edit the thread title to read 'Does cashback sometimes track at silly money' or words to that effect... :oP
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 680
    I had the same. Hopefully the cashback gets paid :)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^^ Done :-)
    haha I just got the big cashback confirmed on two transactions - I've spent £335.99, it tracked at £771.27 and got £61.70 cashback!!! I have noticed that my last 2 transactions with ASDA tracked correctly - all good things come to an end :(
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    can I ask what the best cashback site is in anybodys opinion? I have only recently signed up, which is a bit silly on my part as I do buy a lot on-line, but having said that I always use voucher codes.

Anyway, I just joined Quidco, but I know a few people rate other sites higher?
    I have tried a number of cashback sites and settled with quidco. I'm finding other places to annoying.
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 656
    As ^ I have had no issues with QC always seem to pay out and track very well.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,291
    I use topcashback, which offers a decent rate for LEGO online, The Hut, IWOOT and a bunch of other places I shop.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    I would definitely recommend topcashback, if for the simple reason that it is completely FREE, whereas quidco will cost you a fiver.

Plus topcashback will 'price match' on any cashback rate higher than theirs, but i've never bothered to test that claim.

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Whats the business model for these sites?
    I always avoided them as I assume they make their money from selling on your personal details and spending habits but I could be wrong.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    They get a % of the sale from the retailer and give a portion of that back to the consumer. Some sites like Amazon strictly prohibit doing this though I believe.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,291
    topcashback state that they pass ALL the commission on to the customer, and that they make their money via adverts and sponsored links. There is indeed no fee to pay.

Their site has a comparison chart vs. Quidco which you can see below :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/quidco

I was massively sceptical to start with - no such thing as a free lunch etc. - but to my surprise it works well; transactions almost invariably seem to track, they pay up as promised, and they even give me an extra 5% on my earnings if I take my payment via electronic Amazon gift vouchers. It's simple, and it works.

Recommended.