Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Trusted Sources for MOC Instructions for a Relative Newbie

blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
As a fairly new addition to the LEGO fan community and to building again after a long absence, I think I'm ready to start building off the map and I have accumulated at least some bricks to make a good go of it. I also know where to get them. I'm not ready yet to create my own MOCs, but I want to explore advance techniques in other folks builds. 

There are a lot of sources out there, some free, some for cash, for building instructions. My questions are essentially...is there a checklist of MOC sites? Do you more advanced builders have recommendations of what the best resources are? Who are most/least trustworthy as far as purchasing from? What are things to watch out for when buying a set of instructions? Any good free resources that might be off the beaten path you may want to share?

Thanks for the help if you choose to step in. I had asked for some advice on books in regard to building techniques in another section and it was great. This whole community at Brickset has been hugely helpful on my journey. 

Thanks!

Comments

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,431

Rebrickable looks quite good, I've been looking at this site for a while: http://rebrickable.com/mocs

Some instructions are free, some are priced. You can export your Brickset inventory to rebrickable to work out what you have pieces for, which is handy: http://brickset.com/article/4777

bandit778datsunrobbie
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    I'm especially curious about places I see on eBay. BrickBuildersPro, BrickCityDepot, etc., I saw one offering a membership where you get all the instructions in the inventory, wondering if anyone had experiences with that kind of thing. I need to find that one specifically. 

I understand some of the reticence I think. With thievery of MOC designs going on all over, and I'm not established, there's maybe some trust to be earned. I can understand that. 

Thanks for the info. I have a login there. Some of the MOCs for purchase have dead links, maybe for similar reasons of trust or maybe the designers have moved on. Thanks again.  
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    Several MOC designers pulled their instructions once Lepin started stealing their work.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    That seems a bit pointless - whatever's worth having, they will have already had, although new ones are a different matter. What it does mean is that it'll be harder to point the finger and say "here's where they got it from".
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 340
    @KevBrickstruct has a site with a variety of large and small MOC instructions for sale:  http://www.brickstruct.com/Brickstruct.com/Welcome.html 
    I'm currently in the process of putting together the third book of Helm's Deep. Every purchase comes with the instruction book and a file of what pieces are needed. 
    klatu003
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 461
    I have purchased a few instructions off e-bay, some of the designs were awesome ,clear concise and the end product was extremely pleasing.

The other side is that I have purchased others that seemed great. I acquired all the necessary pieces through BL or Brick owl at considerable expense (mainly because I was a neophyte in the area of how to search properly to find the best deals) only to find areas of instructions extremely difficult to fathom along with several 'illegal building techniques' , including situations in which the only way I was able to re-create what they did was to actually alter the brick. 

That being said I don't have any advise on how to sniff out which of these MOC instructions would have these types of errors in them. You could always look through all the steps after you purchase them and see if anything looks odd before you order the pieces.
    Helpful advice. Also just for educational purposes it dawned on me that I can use Bricksets database of instructions on a lot of the bigger stuff I don't have or haven't built to just read during down time. Might seem like a dull pastime to some, but when you are trying to crash course yourself years of building technique knowledge into months...you do what you gotta. But nothing beats experience. Seems like no matter what I put together I encounter some part I've never seen. The inventory is so...vast. 

I've been playing around in LDD, so far so...OK. I think I'll buy a MOC instruction or two that has an .lxf file with em and try to do some study of existing builds, maybe some alteration stuff to start. I want to try to get out to some of these fan shows too. They look amazing. Not sure if there are many near mid Ohio though...
    @KevBrickstruct has a site with a variety of large and small MOC instructions for sale:  http://www.brickstruct.com/Brickstruct.com/Welcome.html 
    I'm currently in the process of putting together the third book of Helm's Deep. Every purchase comes with the instruction book and a file of what pieces are needed. 
    HOLY...!

Thats way out of my league for now but amazing stuff. Though some of the vehicles I might have enough bricks to get a good start on, like a couple of Batmobiles. Good stuff. The Dutchman was sweet. 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    blogzilly said:

Also just for educational purposes it dawned on me that I can use Bricksets database of instructions on a lot of the bigger stuff I don't have or haven't built to just read during down time.
    If you're going to do it for sets you don't have, that's another use for http://rebrickable.com/ (its main one really). Tell it what you've got, and it'll tell what you could build, and what parts would be missing. Building's more fun that just looking at the pictures.
    Thanks I'm doing a bit of that too, I did import my Brickset stuff over. It amazes me how much you can own and still not have enough parts to build a lot of things. There are always alternate parts but I'm not to the point yet where I know what those even are. Still in my infancy really. 
    catwrangler