Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2016 Brickset Secret Santa

CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
edited October 2016 in Community and Events
Hello!

The annual Brickset Secret Santa event has met with great success over the last three years and as such it is happening again this year, so welcome to the 2016 Brickset Secret Santa thread!

Just in case anyone is not sure what a Secret Santa is, here is a quick definition for you courtesy of the OED:

A system whereby each participant is randomly assigned another participant for whom to buy a Christmas present at an agreed cost, so that each member buys one present and receives one present.

The rules of the Brickset Secret Santa are as follows:

- The guide price for the cost of a gift is £15, €20 or $20 (USD and CAD).
- Wish lists are welcome, so please send that with your initial message if you would like to include one, or simply make your Brickset 'wanted list' public.
- MOCs are also welcome as long as the total part value roughly corresponds with the guide prices given above.
- Please either wrap the gift before packaging it or indicate on the box that the contents are not wrapped.
- Please ensure that your gift is sent in time for Christmas, final posting dates for each country are available online.

To be a part of it is very simple:

- Sign up to be included by sending a PM with your username and mailing address to the relevant organiser.
- Your Brickset ID will then be entered into a draw.
- Names will be drawn on the 7th of November.
- Within a day or two of the draw, everyone who entered will be PMed with the name and address of the person they have been assigned to buy a gift for. 
- Purchase a gift, adhering to the cost guidelines.
- Send the gift, keeping in mind that it should arrive in time for Christmas.
- If all goes according to plan, everybody will receive their gift before Christmas!

The closing date for signing up to the 2016 Brickset Secret Santa is midnight (GMT) on the 6th of November.

Increased demand has meant that we have been able to expand the exchange this year, dividing it between the British Isles, Continental Europe and North America. This should keep postage costs to a minimum.

So, if you would like to join in, simply send a message with your shipping address and wanted list (or a link to your wanted list on the main Brickset site) to the relevant contact in your area.

United Kingdom - @snowhitie
North America - @CapnRex101‌
Continental Europe and Republic of Ireland - @cmrt1014

You can check last year's thread to get some inspiration by looking over the enormous range of gifts given in 2015 (pages 4-6). As you can see there is a lot of fun to be had, so join us and share some Christmas cheer with fellow Brickset members!
snowhitiestluxLostInTranslationBricklover18ShibSalamalexevantylerAllBrickBooTheMightyHamsterPate5346kiki180703piratemania7BumblepantsHangedSanchezGothamConstructionCoRenegade007cjhDanGPCalvrdflegoSeanTheCollectorAdzbadboySprinkleOtterLego_Starrancorbaitstarwars4everSilentModedspigeliso3200JudgeChuckpatrickbransMaffyD

Comments

• Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    As I'm in Ireland, will I join the UK list or ...?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    @Muftak1 - Yes, I'll edit the main post to clarify that.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 472
    I would love to join! PM coming soon!
    snowhitie
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    PM'd
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    edited October 2016
    Posting small parcels from the UK to Ireland costs the same as from UK to Europe (about 3x more than UK to UK)...
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Nightline would cost almost £6-7 depending on size of the parcel 
  • evantylerevantyler Central OhioMember Posts: 63
    I'm in! PM-ed. Looking forward to it!
    snowhitie
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    Posting small parcels from the UK to Ireland costs the same as from UK to Europe (about 3x more than UK to UK)...
    The first time I did Secret Santa it was to Ireland, cost about £13 to send it.

Like you say, same price as around Europe, would cost £3.95 for the same in the UK at current prices.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    edited October 2016
    So basically are UK people saying Ireland should be included in the Europe Secret Santa? Probably best to clarify that early on. 
    £13 for postage seems too much. I'd rather spend extra on the actual gift. 
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    I meant to say that I am in,  of course,  for the UK Secret Santa :-) 
    TheOriginalSimonBkiki180703snowhitie
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    I may join, I may not. If I say I have joined, I'm not a true SS. 

I'll have a think.
    stluxSprinkleOttercjorgenskiki180703snowhitie
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    Just in case anyone is unsure about how to use the wanted list features on the main site don't forget the FAQs page http://brickset.com/faq
    stluxkiki180703snowhitieslovakiasteph
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    You can also make a Bricklist, which is what I do. That way you can put a little description by each set. Useful if you just want to give inspiration rather than just a wants list.
    stluxkiki180703snowhitie
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,243
    Jingle bells, jingle bells...  Time to send a message.
    snowhitie
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    Thanks, organising peoples!
    PM sent.
    snowhitie
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Sent my PM earlier.
    snowhitie
    Finally sent my PM!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    I have altered the arrangement for Irish participants as it has been pointed out to me that postage from the UK to the Republic of Ireland is more expensive than from Continental Europe to the Republic of Ireland.

I hope that will suit everyone.
    snowhitie
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,709
    Are requests for getting a SS in a certain area honored? Shipping to Canada (for me) would cost me the price of a gift...
    starwars4everkiki180703
    edited October 2016
    ^ I agree, can we get/ask for people from our own country?
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,023
    I am so in.
    snowhitie
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 423
    I look forward to this every year. I'm in! 
    snowhitie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    IIRC shipping from USA - Canada can be quite expensive. If there are enough participants in both countries it might be nice to keep them separate to keep costs down.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 722
    Thank you @CapnRex101 @snowhitie & @cmrt1014 for taking the time to organise this years festivities.

I've been looking forward to this years SS since last years. 

PM has been sent @snowhitie

snowhitiepiratemania7CapnRex101kiki180703Lego_Star
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 276
    I would like to join.  Am I okay to participate with an APO address?  It's an overseas military address.  It's the same cost as shipping to the states but you have to fill out a customs form and it takes longer to arrive.
    piratemania7kiki180703
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    This year's been a little rubbish for me again so I'm so glad this has come around again, it gives me something to look forward to. In other words, I'm definitely in, PM sent @snowhitie :o)

I hope preferring to get people who have provided some indication of what they like is okay... I'm rubbish at having to guess what people like! There's only one person here that I can guess reasonably well as to what they would like to receive... ;o)

Extra thanks to @CapnRex101 for continuing to organise this great event year after year :o)
    snowhitiekiki180703Lego_Star
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    This year's been a little rubbish for me again so I'm so glad this has come around again
    :o(

Why not treat yourself to a fun "Questionable Content" T-shirt?

https://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QC-TWENTYSIXTEEN&Category_Code=QC
    snowhitiepiratemania7HangedSanchezkiki180703
    3stackshs said:
    I would like to join.  Am I okay to participate with an APO address?  It's an overseas military address.  It's the same cost as shipping to the states but you have to fill out a customs form and it takes longer to arrive.
    I wouldn't mind having to fill out a customs form- it's only a couple lines of writing.

However, do make sure that you take a look at a customs form, and fill in your name and address exactly as it should appear on the customs form.

It's a nightmare trying to guess what should go in each box!
    snowhitiekiki1807033stackshs
    One other thing, can I put in multiple times, or only once?
    piratemania7snowhitiekiki180703
    ^by multiple times you mean add your name multiple times and draw multiple names in return?
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
    ^by multiple times you mean add your name multiple times and draw multiple names in return?
    Yes. :)
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    snowhitie said:
    Just to clarify, @Muftak1's PM has been redirected to @cmrt1014 since we decided it made more sense for Ireland to be part of mainland Europe. All Irish, please direct your PM's to her please. (Well, unless you want to PM me about something else off course ;) ).

All the UK peeps that have PM'd me have been added to BSSUBD16 (Big Secret Santa UK Bricksetforum Drawing of 2016) and there are already 14 entrants!
    I don't know if cross "pollution" can happen but the cost to post from Ireland to EU mainland is same as the cost to UK so I can do either...
    @SprinkleOtter I see - so you want MULTIPLE packages in return?  I like the idea!
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,780
    ^ no 'pollution' here! ;) We are not going to cross the three areas or it will get really complicated + that way we don't know who is sending to who in our own area making it a surprise for us organisers too.
    MattDawson
    @SprinkleOtter I see - so you want MULTIPLE packages in return?  I like the idea!
    I mean, I would also be sending to as many people as I got gifts from. Maybe 2-3?
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    Message sent! Hopefully my shopping for it will go smoother than the last 2 years...
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,182
    Exciting, I'm in. PM on its way.
    snowhitiekiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    IIRC shipping from USA - Canada can be quite expensive. If there are enough participants in both countries it might be nice to keep them separate to keep costs down.
    In Canada, surprisingly, shipping fairly small items internationally is actually cheaper than shipping within Canada!
    SprinkleOtter
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    edited October 2016
    I'm in for this year! Looking forward to it. PM coming your way @CapnRex101.

Edit: I just realized that I have to finalize my wish list first. Oops! PM will come later!
    snowhitie
  • kioko21kioko21 United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    Yay! I love this! Pm sent! :-)
    snowhitie
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,224
    Thanks organisers!!!  I love this event.  PM Sent!
    snowhitie
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    edited October 2016
    PM sent to the Stormtrooper captain.

(No shenanigans, please...)
    snowhitie
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Looks like its going to be another round of great fun! I'd love to join but I just won't have time this year...
    piratemania7
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    edited October 2016
    Ooks Ike there coud be a ot of SSs this year. Sti in an undecided state, I wi know ater on.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^I see what you did there ;-) 
    AllBrick
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,240
    @rancorbait- I don't have time either.

But... I'm going to do it anyway! And so should you :)
    SprinkleOtterstluxSumoLegokiki180703rancorbaitGothamConstructionCopiratemania7
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    I am *so* in!!  Just need to figure out what I might like... better chuck my hat in the ring so I don't miss out.  Merry two-and-a-bit-months-early Christmas!!
    AllBrick said:
    Ooks Ike there coud be a ot of SSs this year. Sti in an undecided state, I wi know ater on.
    But you didn't change your username did you? So there are Ls!
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    Count me in @snowhitie  Thanks for the heads up on this.  
    snowhitieMattDawsonGothamConstructionCo