Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,412
    @SumoLego What do you use for fire hydrants? The Duplo one seems rather big, and I'm not sure about the ones that came with some past Advent Calendars...
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,442
    SumoLego said:
    You definitely need lamp posts for the other side of the road! I will be staggering mine, so that they alternate L-R-L-R, ensuring the light is as evenly distributed as possible.

I haven't quite yet decided whether to stick with hugely wide pavements or to move the modulars forward, so that they are partially on the road plates.
    Definitely go with the wider sidewalk.  A two or four stud sidewalk gets congested.  Especially when you add in fire hydrants, lamp posts, newspaper stands, street vendord, etc.

Yes, you're right. That was my preferred option, as it allows modifying the T-junction and crossroads baseplates into parking bays and the like, as I saw someone had done very nicely a while ago...

I can't find the link right now, but the results were excellent.

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    @stlux obviously I'm not Sumo but I use these. I'm not totally sure where I got the idea from, don't think it was an advent calendar, might have been in a creator set.

Always interested to see what other people are using, there might be much better ones out there.
    SumoLegostluxkiki180703catwrangler
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,625
    ^That looks like the vending machine from 31036 Toy & Grocery store to me.  
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,058
    I don't need lamposts at all. But I feel I'm missing out so will order some anyway.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703JenniSumoLegoSalamalex
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited October 2016
    I have decided to start work on a building project I've been planning on and off for about 6 months but have given myself a deadline of three weeks to do it in. Mainly because a) I work better with a short deadline and b) it would be kind of appropriate to finish it for Halloween. Let's see whether I actually get on with it or just procrastinate as usual... 
    Legogramkiki180703GothamConstructionCocatwrangler
    @snowhitie, I have to ask... Why does your fire hydrant have a clear cover? I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that.
    Also, I don't believe fire hydrants are very European. They're certainly not at all British, as our fire hydrants tend to be buried under ground and marked with a concrete sign:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=british+fire+hydrant+sign&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKloTkz9DPAhWhB8AKHY5uCooQ_AUICCgB&biw=1008&bih=492

To make it more British, I could add some nasty wheelie bins and the like... But I won't... ;-)
    catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,986

^ Dog poo would make it more British, perhaps?

And a Tower of Orthanc at one end. ;->

catwrangler
    MaffyD said:

^ Dog poo would make it more British, perhaps?

And a Tower of Orthanc at one end. ;->

For that, we'd need brown hot dogs, but they're not available... I suppose reddish-brown 1x1 round plates would suffice though.... ;-)

Grrr... :-D
    MaffyD
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,543
    stlux said:
    @SumoLego What do you use for fire hydrants? The Duplo one seems rather big, and I'm not sure about the ones that came with some past Advent Calendars...
    looking at pictures of fire hydrants, I would use a brick with studs on all side, and the top look like some minifigs hat (I think the one used for the gramophone in haunted house) but I don't know if they come in red.
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 681

This was my solution that I posted before. Its changed a bit now as the PC has moved to the other end of the street.

I've designed a few benches that sit nicely on the pavements and borrowed a postbox from my daughters Friends sets!
    I am totally stealing your idea...also, have you thought of adding a traffic lights?
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    Waiting on 4 parcels that are currently "In Warehouse"
    edited October 2016
    @JudgeChuck Well, I thought it was one of those with a yellow hose in it, a red fire hydrant, with a hose on top. Mhm, but maybe they only exist in my dreams (if a producer of fire hydrants reads this, feel free to contact me for some more design ideas, I don't mind being paid in Lego sets).

I guess it is a vending machine in the end - so I'm showing how much I know! Maybe my subconscious realised it better than I did since I did place it in front of my school.

In my defence, I've not got many, but I do have lots of post boxes on my streets :)
    SumoLegostluxTheMaker37catwranglerkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,091
    snowhitie said:
    I guess it is a vending machine in the end - so I'm showing how much I know! Maybe my subconscious realised it better than I did since I did place it in front of my school.

I'd be happier if fire hydrants dispensed candy, gum or carbonated drinks.  That would make for much happier (and heavier) firefighters.
    snowhitiestluxTheMaker37SprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703
    @SumoLego I think we are on to something, like a sort of reward system for a job well done!

By the way, did the guys in your picture overindulge in whatever was in that green bottle?
    stluxTheMaker37SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,091
    I think they're still recovering from Smaug's recent visit. 
    snowhitiestluxTheMaker37SprinkleOttercatwranglertallblocktookiki180703
    Yes, you're right. That was my preferred option, as it allows modifying the T-junction and crossroads baseplates into parking bays and the like, as I saw someone had done very nicely a while ago...

I can't find the link right now, but the results were excellent.

This was my solution that I posted before. Its changed a bit now as the PC has moved to the other end of the street.

I've designed a few benches that sit nicely on the pavements and borrowed a postbox from my daughters Friends sets!
    Thanks @Speedman29, that was it... I think this will definitely be my blueprint as well, if you don't mind. :-)
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,958
    josekalel said:
    I am totally stealing your idea...also, have you thought of adding a traffic lights?
    Its on my list of extras. I need a couple of trees and some street furniture to detail it as well.

Thanks @Speedman29, that was it... I think this will definitely be my blueprint as well, if you don't mind. :-)
    Course not. I'm sure I saw a similar idea on Instagram and just added to it. The Brick Bank now sits on that corner and has a second of the pavement patterns on that outer corner to make it look better.

LostInTranslationTheMaker37snowhitiejosekalelkiki180703
    Still waiting on my PaB and Bricks&Pieces orders. But at least Yodel delivered two London buses today. And two spiderman pollys. And apparently they'll deliver a third one tomorrow :-)
    stluxkiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    after the fun of this weekend the promise of someone donating their entire adult Lego collection is happening!

we have no idea what will be included and condition but excited to find out. Its set so could be anything from classic sets to retired modulars, who knows! Condition should be good too as its an older persons collection with no kids.
    josekalelJenniLEGO_Dad77kiki180703catwranglersnowhitiepiratemania7ricecakelegonut80
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    Yah. My missing Bus, minifig and Spiderman arrived today, and I picked up Hogwarts Express from the Post Office. Just need to find a space to build them all.
    LEGO_Dad77piratemania7
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 453
    I'd like to thank @Wookie2 for sending these from across 2 ponds. :)
    Pitfall69kiki180703catwranglersnowhitieTheOriginalSimonBWookie2tallblocktoo
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    The saga of General Magmar's Siege Machine continues. 

3rd trip to Argos by my partner, they informed him they'd cancelled my original transaction (due to their previous foul-ups) and would refund me electronically in a week's time. He was unaware that I'd paid with a combo of my Paypal funds and an Ebay voucher, so didn't realise the amount they were proposing to refund was not the actual total amount I'd paid (and which I have proof of having paid in an email). (He asked the staff, but they swore up and down that it was the right sum.) So now he's paid full price for it, only finding out the context when he got home and asked me to confirm whether what he'd been told was right. 

Had to call customer services (who I could never get through to before), who said it shouldn't have happened like that, so going back on Thursday to get partner's money back, ensure I am actually refunded the right amount, and return the set, as I would not have bought the thing in the first place if I hadn't been able to put the Ebay voucher toward it. Bleh!
    Very sensible @TheOriginalSimonB
    TheOriginalSimonBkiki180703
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 803
    I'm in the last stages of a MASSIVE sort that included opening up dozens of sets to just sort. It also included breaking down MOCs from the past 5-6 years, many of which were large and built atop 2 baseplates or more. This sort also included bulk brick from LEGO and from garage sales. 

I stopped all building over the past few months (ever since July) so that whenever I did have spare time for LEGO it would be used to sort. As a result, I'm now down to 3 or 4 Rubbermaid containers that are sorted by color (still have dark bley, red, blue, black, technic, mini figs and wheels/tires to sort). I've broken down so many MOCs and sorted so many containers of loose LEGO that I ran out of space in my storage drawers for sorted parts. I'm now storing colors that I don't build with in the space that I stored stuff that needed to be sorted. In essence, I'm making room for sorted bricks by sorting I sorted bricks. Less clutter and more organization in order to get my collection of bricks easier to build with.

Much like Shib posted above, I also had a revelation...I was buying too much LEGO!!! As a result, I've slowed down purchases considerably and question how much of my LEGO funds needs to go towards sets. 

Please note that sharing this is not complaining. I feel very fortunate to have all of the LEGO that I have. This forum discussion just seems like the place to share what I've been doing with those that can relate to or understand how much time and effort goes into this hobby so when the time comes to build you can see what you have to build with.

catwranglerSirKevbagsJenniSalamalexkiki180703snowhitietallblocktoo
    That's looking ace @iso3200! Looking forward to seeing more pics! 
    iso3200kiki180703
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,090
    @iso3200 - Looks great! Really really like it - great colour scheme too :-)
    Please post more photos!!! Will the carousel be motorised?
    iso3200kiki180703
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I love it, really nicely done. I loved the haunted fairground at STEAM, probably my favourite mod (as I'd seen lots before) but there's always room for another take on a similar idea and yours feels very different in style. Can't wait to see more!
    iso3200kiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Everyone, I implore you to throw all of your Lego boxes away. You don't need them; they just take up space. 
    catwranglerShibpiratemania7kiki180703SumoLego
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,058
    edited October 2016
    Thanks all. Nice to get positive feedback. I'm terrible at deciding what works and what doesn't - that's probably why I rarely finish anything.
    LegopantsLostInTranslationPitfall69GothamConstructionCokiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    Pitfall69 said:
    Everyone, I implore you to throw all of your Lego boxes away. You don't need them; they just take up space. 
    Yep... This Imperial Flagship box is just takin' up space... UCS TIE Interceptor, too ;)
    Pitfall69kiki180703
    ^^Don't forget to empty them of Lego before you throw them away though...
    Pitfall69josekalelkiki180703
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Just my two cents but recycling boxes AND instructions is very liberating.  Once that clutter is out of the way you can really enjoy "the brick".
    Pitfall69khmellymelkiki180703ShibMordoor
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,291
    edited October 2016
    Really nice work @iso3200!  I'm looking forward to seeing more pics!
    Just my two cents but recycling boxes AND instructions is very liberating.  Once that clutter is out of the way you can really enjoy "the brick".

I don't know if I'll ever be able to recycle the instructions, but I'm working my way up to the boxes.  I realised that the boxes are quite a space suck when I started putting boxes inside of boxes inside of boxes... and it's like a never ending set of Russian Dolls to find sets.
    josekalelkiki180703catwrangler
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I keep my boxes, but I flatten them...so they take up far less space
    AanchirTheBigLegoski
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

I think stacking the empty Lego boxes make a very nice wall deco :)

Though if a strong wind were to blow through the windows the whole thing would topple, which happened once or twice.

Please, throw them all away or recycle them. You don't need them ;)
    josekalel
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 784
    edited October 2016
    I do the same thing. After the Winter Train next month, I am going cold turkey for awhile. Spent far too much in October already!

Damn you Double Points!
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 923
    I put boxes inside boxes so saved a lot of space too. 
    Jern92kiki180703
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    Pitfall69 said:

Though if a strong wind were to blow through the windows the whole thing would topple, which happened once or twice.

You have no idea how bad the decor behind them is.  ;)
    catwranglerkiki180703Pitfall69SprinkleOtterLegogram
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,335
    @Recce that picture is amazing but is that a tiny little microwave at the bottom? How do you heat up your food? 
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    Pitfall69 said:

if you open up the boxes the right way they are useful for storing other stuff, too :P