Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ranking the Lego Modular Buildings: 1-11

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    Guessing the Palace Cinema is getting lower rankings due to the stickers. I presume if those were printed parts the set would be far more 'attractive' to folks. Kind of hard to love that set with the idea that the stickers could peel on it at any time.
    LegoboyCircleKMynatt
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282

1. Café Corner/Green Grocer/Fire Brigade/Grand Emporium/Pet Shop/Town Hall/Palace Cinema/Parisian Restaurant/Detective's Office (tie)

2. Market Street

N/A Brink Bank (do not own yet)

Salamalexbricktuary
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Guessing the Palace Cinema is getting lower rankings due to the stickers. I presume if those were printed parts the set would be far more 'attractive' to folks. Kind of hard to love that set with the idea that the stickers could peel on it at any time.
    I do not mind the stickers for the Palace Cinema. I have already made my own and am currently working on the movie screen. I have Stephen Spielberg sitting in the front row ;)
    catwranglerstluxpiratemania7
    I know that my choices aren't really modular per se but I like the MF Haunted House, The Ghostbusters Firehouse and The Simpsons House.

Cool! Is the Simpsons House larger than your typical baseplate? I'm thinking about the QuickieMart.... but not sure how it will fit in modular city.
    Oh wow!!! Lego made a "QuickieMart"? I thought they stayed away from that sort of thing :) The Market Street should be renamed "QuickieMart" because that is what it reminds me of, especially with those whips up above the alley ;) 
    Jern92
    I teally don't think it matters whether you own the Modular or not to make a list. There are plenty of pictures and reviews to at least give you a general idea how nice or bad the Modular is. I am sure many people have made a similar list while determining what Modular to buy next. I think you sjould be able to hate Market Street whether you own it or not ;)

Speaking of which; Market Street is the very reason I didn't click on this thread earlier, I knew the argument of whether MS is a Modular or not would come up. It was just a matter of time...like when I post a meme.

Word of advice: Don't argue with @Legoboy  Arguing with him is Sisyphus pushing a boulder uphill with roller skates on and your wife behind you nagging you to put the dishes away.
    dougtscatwranglermadforLEGOgmonkey76
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Nah. Stickers had nothing to do with my ranking. 
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    @Pitfall69  Arguing's fine but let there be reason to argue first.  If not it'll be one big boulder and a hotel kitchen's worth of dishes.
    Legoboy said:
    @Pitfall69  Arguing's fine but let there be reason to argue first.  If not it'll be one big boulder and a hotel kitchen's worth of dishes.
    Oh, here we go. 7 months away and it is already starting ;)
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    I know that my choices aren't really modular per se but I like the MF Haunted House, The Ghostbusters Firehouse and The Simpsons House.

Cool! Is the Simpsons House larger than your typical baseplate? I'm thinking about the QuickieMart.... but not sure how it will fit in modular city.
    A few months back @wakko sent me a pic of his city layout and I was really impressed with how well the Simpsons House and Kwiki Mart fit in.  I don't want to take the liberty of sharing his photo, but maybe he will post it up.
  • thomaspp13thomaspp13 miami, flMember Posts: 29

A few months back @wakko sent me a pic of his city layout and I was really impressed with how well the Simpsons House and Kwiki Mart fit in.  I don't want to take the liberty of sharing his photo, but maybe he will post it up.

Good to hear! Yes, would like to see. I've seen a few videos on the tube with simpson features in a city layout but hard to judge..
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,036
    ^ must say I'm dubious about the mesh of different styles. City isn't as big as Simpsons sets, and Modular is more ornate and historic. But I'm willing to be persuaded.
    MaffyD said:
    ^ must say I'm dubious about the mesh of different styles. City isn't as big as Simpsons sets, and Modular is more ornate and historic. But I'm willing to be persuaded.
    I can understand the Kwik-E-Mart, but I don't know how a suburban home would fit in with all the Modulars.
    piratemania7
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,282
    I think it is out of relative scale anyway.  The HH is 'more' to scale.
    tallblocktoo
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 511
    edited September 2016

I, personally, consider the inclusion of Market Street in the Mini-Modulars set to be evidence that MS must be considered a modular. Those who disagree with me are...in disagreement with me, which is fine. Since I don't have (and won't buy) MS, I'll never consider myself to have a complete set of Modulars, and that's fine too.

I don't consider Haunted House, the Ghostbusters Firehouse, the Simpsons House and the Quik-E-Mart to be true modulars because none of them are modular in construction--with the possible exception of the Quik-E-Mart, since the roof does come off and the building is only one story high. Since they are roughly the same scale and level of detail as the modulars, I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't agree with me, though.

Even though I do collect the modulars (with the proviso that I'm never going to own MS, and will probably only ever have a "Blue Grocer") the closest I've actually come to building one is my own MOC of an Art Deco cinema, not a corner building, based on the cinema from #10184 with many interior details cribbed from the PC set. So my rating of the modulars is based on my impressions of other people's photographs and descriptions, for whatever that's worth.

1. Parisian Restaurant
    2. Detective's Office
    3. Brick Bank
    4. Green Grocer
    5. Grand Emporium
    6. Pet Shop
    7. Cafe Corner
    8. Town Hall
    9. Fire Brigade
    10. Market Street
    11. Palace Cinema

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    It's funny you mention a cinema as a non-corner building.  I actually got through about a 75% of a inside building cinema mock to the modular standards before finding out that the next official modular was going to be the palace cinema 

I still believe making the palace cinema an inside building would have been much better than doing it as a corner building. Think that was a bit of poor planning to some degree
    SumoLegoFollowsCloselybinaryeye
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,282
    There is a high ratio of corners.  I posted awhile back that minifgs apparently like crossing streets and short blocks.
    TheMaker37tallblocktoostlux
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,036
    edited September 2016
    My ranking if I where to recommend them to someone else:
    1. Parisian Restaurant
    2. Detective Office
    3. Brick Bank
    4. Green Grocer
    5. Pet Shop
    6. Town Hall
    7. Fire Brigade
    8. Grand Emporium
    9. Palace Cinema
    10. Cafe Corner
    11. Market Street
    My ranking according to the experience building them shortly after coming out:

1. Green Grocer - Purchased this for my oldest daughter on her 6th birthday. It was our second modular, first with an interior. We spent hours playing and modifying our Green Grocer. It was even a blue grocer at one point.
    2. Cafe Corner - Our first modular. It was the largest set we owned at the time. I still remember the hours we spend building. It was so big and so realistic compared to any other set.
    3. Pet Shop - I had a "business" relationship with an employee at the Tysons store back in 2010 and he showed me images a few months before any leaks showed up online. I attempted to build my own from memory and I failed miserably. Once it came out and I built it, there where so many ah ha moments. Its a good build and it remains one of my favorites.
    4. Parisian Restaurant - Just beautiful inside and out. Many clever builds and by far the most creative snot of any modular.
    5. Detective Office - Fun play and good build.
    6. Fire Brigade - One of my kids favorites!
    7. Grand Emporium - Looks so considering the time it came out. I had 4 that made a great looking corner building.
    8. Brick Bank - Laundry is awesome, but the rest is lacking.
    9. Town Hall - Boring build but it is big!
    10. Market Street - Was the third one purchased so it has some nostalgia.
    11. Palace Cinema - For me the build is just plain boring. No creative techniques and very repetitive. Also what theater has so many windows?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    My problem with the Palace Cinema is the lack of clutch power on the arms that hold the 'Palace' sign into the side of the building. It doesn't quite sit exactly parallel to the side of the theatre and this really irritates me for some reason. It definitely sits in the bottom half of my list despite the fact it was my first modular build, which is a shame.
    FollowsCloselyjosekalelTheMaker37
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I've got everything after Green Grocer, and I bricklinked that with just a couple of substitutions, up to the latest bank that is. Fingers crossed for Christmas.... :P

I'd rank them as follows:

1. Parisian Restaurant
    2. Green Grocer
    3. Pet Shop
    4. Palace Cinema
    5. Detectives Office
    6. Brick Bank*
    7. Town Hall
    8. Grand Emporium
    9. Cafe Corner*
    10. Fire Brigade
    11. Market Street*
    (* unowned so not entirely informed positions!)

My reasons:

1: Parisian Restaurant.
    Top of the pile for so many reasons, such a beautifully coherent design, no feeling of repetition, all the details look so tight and well knitted together (if that even makes sense!). Little details like the stonework croissants always make people gasp, and the interior is just fantastic too. It felt like is set a new standard when it came out.

2: Green Grocer
    I kind of feel like this set can't be second, it looks too blocky, not refined enough at all, it's been surpassed by other newer sets, but I'm so fond of it and its asymmetrical design, the interior trend it began but didn't take higher than the ground floor except for a clock, rug and great radiator, and how brilliant it still looks in the street that I'm putting it second!

3: Pet Shop
    I'm horrified to see this brilliant set so far down most people's lists! It could be top if I were in a different mood! It's so beautifully compact and being two thinner, separable buildings gives you so many more options for display that will make your street look more real, more organic. It was my first, I'd recommend anyone getting into the modulars to make it their first too, the only downside is I'm always disappointed by how little actual living space for normal people there is in the series after the precedent this set me!

4: Palace Cinema
    I didn't want to rank this so highly, but it does look so great and having the Lego Movie poster sticker in the foyer and the double decker couch installed in the sparse theatre for the premiere of the movie with various of the stars arriving for the event makes me too fond of it! It is a little lacking, but just a tweak or two really brings it to life.
    I found ti fairly easy to get over the sticker hate too, being meticulous in applying them and seeing how amazing it looks with them compared to how it looked in LDD.

5: Detective's Office
    I've really warmed to the set and the way that the bizarre shape that was criticised at first (when PR wasn't!) actually helps break up the monotonous feel of some of the modulars, making it look more like a row of buildings you'd see in a real town. The bar and hairdressers are both superb, the apartment is a bit compromised but then quite a few living spaces in cities are, so it's quite realistic!

6: Brick Bank
    I've no idea what I'll think of it when I get it, but I'm guessing it'll slot in here or maybe above DO in the list! I'm hoping it'll go well next to TH and make it blend a little better in to the street.

7: Town Hall
    From here down to 9 are all pretty much interchangeable in my personal ranking. I've put TH top of the mini-list because of how impressive it is, the very nice touches like the board room with globe, the raised ground floor and sunken press pit, the small office near the entrance, and the general grandeur of it. It's perhaps a little too large next to the rest, but then it is the Town Hall!

8: Grand Emporium
    This set feels like it could have been so much better (and mods that make it flat fronted and the like show as much). The escalators are brilliant, the candelabra is great, the items to buy are fun and the pillars on the exterior look brilliant, plus the revolving door and way the corner has been set at an angle are great. But overall it feels a little disjointed and empty - not so much as FS, but enough to put it in the bottom half of the list.

9: Cafe Corner
    I've had to put it here from my impression of it given that I don't own it. I've LDDed it and felt it truly belonged in the modular series, but as the forerunner, the set that truly started it all and has been surpassed by just about everything that's followed it.

10: Fire Station
    Something had to be (next to) bottom, and for me this set is just too full of cavernous empty space. Admittedly it's a US style fire station so as a Brit I don't have any of the fondness that Americans may have for it (and the flag rankles just a little!) but it seems quite clumsy in how high the ground floor is. The exterior brickwork is very nice, but gets too repetitive when you're building it, and makes it weaker than it should be too (ironic for overlapping bricks!).

11: Market Street
    I don't own it, I never will, I do accept that it's a modular (the baseplate size, Technic connectors and removable upper floors surely make it undeniable), but it's so obviously the poorer cousin of the fully established line, inferior to them in so many regards (so I'm also not going to tell anyone they're wrong for saying it's not really a modular!).

I guess that is all influenced a lot by the way I see the development of the modulars.
    To me, Market Street is a precursor of sorts and Cafe Corner is the first true modular.
    Fire Station kicked off what I see as a new period in the style of the buildings, with it, GE, PS, TH and PC all having a similar feel.
    And Parisian Restaurant very much began a second phase of that main style with a further refining of the style that has continued so far with DO and BB.

Looking at it that way sets PR apart as a renaissance, reinvigorating the line that without it could have started to feel a little stale.
    And GG stands out too, very much still in the early phase before the defining style of the modulars had been established, but except for looking a little basic and blocky it holds its own and is so much better than the two that followed it.
    For me, PS is the set that started it all for me, it's the glue in the modular street aesthetically, it's the clear standout behind those other two standouts!
    After that I kinda see PC (with my mods), DO and (I expect...) BB as all of a level, then TH, GE, CC and FS as a sort of group. That's almost by era, with my mods to PC pulling it up to the current level, and FS being so disappointing compared to the rest that I place it below CC.
    FollowsCloselytallblocktoo
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Deviating for a moment from the main topic, I think a doubled up Brick Bank would look super cool and if I was able to build it, would be my favorite.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    PR
    GG
    DO
    PS
    CC
    FB
    GE
    BB
    TH
    PC
    MS
    FollowsCloselyzipsforbananas
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited October 2016
    There should be a spreadsheet compiling and calculating the rankings by the members here.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Deviating for a moment from the main topic, I think a doubled up Brick Bank would look super cool and if I was able to build it, would be my favorite.

Brick bank looks pretty good with an extra floor. Someone posted a pic awhile back - maybe @Pitfall69

SumoLego
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,552
    palace cinema is still doing pretty bad, despite some good ranks.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,021
    PR
    PS
    CC
    DO
    GG
    BB
    PC
    GE
    FB
    TH
    MS

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    @davee123 you, sir, are a boon to this forum.

Thank you!
    Pitfall69catwranglerklatu003
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 681
    edited October 2016
    So, based on answers, I should definitely (at least) get the Parisian Restaurant,  the Detective's Office, Brick Bank (which I already wanted), and the Pet Shop before they go higher in price?
    CurvedRoadPlate
    josekalel said:
    So, based on answers, I should definitely (at least) get the Parisian Restaurant,  the Detective's Office, Brick Bank (which I already wanted), and the Pet Shop before they go higher in price?
    Are you talking about "post retirement"? Other than the Pet Shop the others will probably be out for a long time; especially because of their popularity. 
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    @josekalel Once you start, you're likely to want them all.  Especially if you have a completist gene. So even though I'm no fan of PC, I still recommend you get it before it retires.  And PS is a definite must have.
    Jern92
    Pet Shop
    Brick Bank
    Town Hall
    Green Grocer
    Parisian Restaurant
    Detectives Office
    Fire Brigade
    Cafe Corner
    Palace Cinema
    Grand Emporium
    Market Street
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 788
    1. PR: the first Modular I bought. It was the one I immediately wanted when it was revealed. I'm loving the overall look, great colour combinations, amazing details in the front as well as the back as well as a lot of interior details. The only thing I might complain about is that the balcony is being overshadowed by the building next to it. 

2. BB: I wanted this one as soon as images arrived! I really like the two buildings in one -thing

3. DO: it took a while for me to buy it, but I'm glad I did. Really like the colours in this one.

4. PS: the second Modular I bought. I really like its versatility... I bought a second Pet Shop for the brown building and mirrored it. With the remaining Pet Shop I started building a sand blue Green Grocer. 

5. GG: I'm really loving everything about this one, but it's not that high on my list because the need of bricklinking and the changes I had to make to my own model. I added some interior details and I'm really happy with the results, but the four modulars I ranked higher were far more 'finished imo. 

6. GE: I bought this one most recently in 'used' condition. I like that it's quite big, but it's really empty on the inside. The thing I like most about this set are the 4 pillars on the ground floor. 

7. TH: this is the first set on my list that I don't own and I'm not planning on buying this one either. It's just too expensive. I remember being really impressed by it when it got out, but then it was way out of my price range. It's an impressive and huge set, but not too interesting as a whole. 

8. CC: I really like the exterior of the cafe corner, but the lack of interior is bothering me. This is a set I might bricklink in a different colour one day, like I did with the GG, but I've got other priorities atm. Waiting on the reveal of the 2017 modular before starting on a project like this. 

9. FB: there is not much that I dislike about this set other than that it's just kind of feels boring to me. I don't get the feeling that it's interesting enough to spend that much money on. This is also a set where I think you can't do a lot of colour changes, so bricklinking this might turn out to be expensive as well. 

10. PC: this is the only modular I own that I ranked lower than sets I don't own. The only reason I bought this one is actually because it's the cheapest modular here in Belgium and it's still available and it's a modular. I bought it this year when I saw it build up next to the Brick Bank in my local Lego Store, and it looked surprisingly good together. Now the reason why this set is this low on my list is that I think it doesn't fit in with the rest of the Modulars. It's the huge architectural difference that I didn't like and I think overall it's quite boring too. I really hate the look from the back (big empty tan space with the ugly back of the tower) and the interior is just too blank. I didn't mind the stickers on it that much, cause they applied easily, but I just didn't feel "wowed" by it. 

11. MS: I almost put this one above the PC, but I didn't because it's MS. Although I must admit that this is a set I might bricklink one day with a lot of updates, without the 'market part' and with a different colour scheme. I think if done well, it might fit in with the other modulars.

hard to make a list since I only own Parisian Restaurant and Palace Cinema...

11 Market Street
    10 Cafe Corner
    9 Pet Shop
    8 Grand Emporium
    7 Town Hall
    6 Green Grocer
    5 Fire Brigade
    4 Palace Cinema
    3 Detective Office
    2 Brick Bank
    1 Parisian Restaurant

pretty hard to decide between DO, BB and PC, though PC loses on interior details, the sign and rood are really cool.

also between FB and GG. GG looks pretty impressive but more outdated.

TH is kind of hard to rank too. it's huge and the inside seems pretty good, but the exterior is a bit bland and the color is weird.
    Briking said:
    @josekalel Once you start, you're likely to want them all.  Especially if you have a completist gene. So even though I'm no fan of PC, I still recommend you get it before it retires.  And PS is a definite must have.
    I always want everything haha, but my thing was, I should get it while they're at a 'reasonable' price. I know the other ones are expensive/hard to get. 
  • Scott1Scott1 United StatesMember Posts: 48

I own only a few modulars, I mostly just buy several copies of a City set like two Fire Stations, two Police Stations, etc. and then just make my own modulars. But here's my list among the ones I have:

5. Palace Cinema

4. Grand Emporium

3. Pet Shop

2. Fire Brigade

1. Brick Bank

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,574
    I do not own the Detective office, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and Market Street, so for now they have to go on the end of my list.

1. Parisian Restaurant.
    2. Palace Cinema.
    3. Town Hall.
    4. Brick Bank.
    5. Pet Shop.
    6. Grand Emporium.
    7. Fire Brigade
    8. Detective Office
    9. Green Grocer.
    10. Cafe Corner.
    11. Market Street.

I would add the Kwik-E-Mart as a Modular, although it is also a Dollhouse with foldout sides.
    I will not count The Monster House because it is a Dollhouse, as is the Simpson House.
    catwrangler
    Even though I am not a pro like most of you here, I'll give my opinion on Palace Cinema (first and almost the only modular I own and have built).

IMO, the Palace Cinema had already a lot against it before being released. The first thing is that since it is 'based' on the Chinese Theatre in LA, it would be difficult to emulate it in a 32x32 plate, unlike many of the older theatres in many of the US' towns that sit in between buildings and not in corners (usually). Regardless of the windows, the outside of the PC is very nice, and could be one of the nicest looking sets (again, IMO).

However, I think that besides the issue of PC being influenced by the Chinese Theatre, it's the inside of the theatre that makes PC a so-so set. Almost all of us have been in a movie theatre, and many of us have been in 'older' theatres, and the PC doesn't look like any of them. Don't get me wrong, I love the popcorn machine and the ketchup and mustard dispenser, but that's the most it has going on in the first floor. No movie posters inside, no seats, benches, phone booth, just the box office, the snack bar, and stairs. 

Then we get into the second floor, and things don't get any better. With only SIX seats, this is no movie theatre, this is a home movie theatre. Then you have the projector being in the same room as the seats, another set of stairs, and you don't have a real theatre, especially since those 'older' theatres were massive, with hundreds and hundreds of seats, if not thousands. 

So, the thing would be buy at least three sets, MOC it, and create a nicer theatre (like some of you have done). 

TL;DR: PC was a bad choice for a 32x32 plate and it lacks detail. Still, a great looking set. 
    TheMaker37catwrangler
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Don't own the first 3 and own, but haven't built the latest 3, so my rankings are just the 5 right in the middle.

1. Fire Brigade - This might always be my #1. I'm a very nostalgic person and this was the first modular I built. I came out of my dark ages not long before this when I found out we were having our first son. Immediately bought the not-yet-born little man the first wave of LotR sets to put away for him for the distant future. Then he was born and I scooped up the Millenium Falcon (not the Force Awakens one; the one right before that). My interest in LEGO was suddenly peaked again and in one large Amazon order, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall all came home. Built Fire Brigade first and it being the first LEGO set I had ever owned close to that large, I fell in love with it.

2. Palace Cinema - Sure it's a very small theater, sure they could've done more if it wasn't a corner, etc., etc. But I love that it's a different style and, well, movies.

3. Pet Shop - Dear LEGO, please give us more modulars that are split like the Pet Shop. Sincerely, A Whole Darn Lot of People.

4. Town Hall

5. Grand Emporium - I'm not really a fan of it. I don't know why. I'm just not. I like it well enough and am glad I have it, but I feel like it might always be at the bottom of my list and I don't know why.
    stluxcatwrangler
    ^ I feel those sentiments on the Grand Emporium exactly.  I think its a fine Modular, especially if you want to "raise" it and I love the outside facade - plus the whole idea of the "department store" is quite nostalgic.  But perhaps its the color scheme?  Or the lack of inside detail?  Either way, there is just something about it and I cannot figure it out at all.
    YodaliciousMordoor
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    ^ I feel those sentiments on the Grand Emporium exactly.  I think its a fine Modular, especially if you want to "raise" it and I love the outside facade - plus the whole idea of the "department store" is quite nostalgic.  But perhaps its the color scheme?  Or the lack of inside detail?  Either way, there is just something about it and I cannot figure it out at all.

Maybe it's that the Kwik-E-Mart is able to cram in about 10x the amount of merchandise than a full sized department store?  The corner modulars all seem to lack space to do any sense of realism justice.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 815
    natro220 said:
    The corner modulars all seem to lack space to do any sense of realism justice.
    Interestingly, it does look like according to the ranking data, the corner modulars are less popular.  Coincidence?

I know for me, the exterior matters a lot more than the interior, as I'm primarily looking at them as display pieces.

Plus, I definitely let the realism slide.  The Palace Cinema having only 6 seats doesn't bother me-- the buildings are pretty much all more narrow than you'd expect in real life (except maybe for some of those famously narrow European street buildings).  So I mainly see them as exercises in selective compression.

DaveE
    Bumblepantscatwranglerbandit778
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    But when you're pitting them against each other, and they all have a pretty decent looking exterior (except of course...Market Street), how else are you supposed to judge them to rank them?  With a corner, you lose like 15% of the interior space to sidewalk.
    natro220 said:
    But when you're pitting them against each other, and they all have a pretty decent looking exterior (except of course...Market Street), how else are you supposed to judge them to rank them?
    I guess I don't have too much of a problem ranking the different exteriors.  For instance, I gave Green Grocer a lower ranking because the exterior looks more blocky to me.  It has more exposed studs than a lot of other buildings, showcases the "lips" in the sloped roof more, has gaps in its use of 1x1 round bricks, and the arches over the windows are a bit more chunky.  The newer buildings tend to use more elegant building techniques to make smoother lines and add detailing.

But in a few places where I have a hard time deciding on the exteriors (like, say, the Grand Emporium and the Fire Brigade, for me), the interiors are a great tiebreaker.  Plus, some of the more elaborate ones (like the Town Hall, Brick Bank, and Detective's Office) win some bonus points (in my book).

DaveE
    dougts
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I wonder if, aside from the rankings, Pet Shop should get a special mention as the absolute must have set. It may not be the best of them, but the moment you consider having a modular building collection instead of just a modular building you quite simply need to have it.
    I wonder if, aside from the rankings, Pet Shop should get a special mention as the absolute must have set.
    To me, Pet Shop was probably the most mundane of any of the modulars, but its ability to split into 2 smaller buildings was definitely a must-have feature.  Honestly, that's one of the things I liked about Market Street, too-- you could configure it slightly differently, which can be very beneficial when trying to accommodate a particular layout.

DaveE
    Jern92catwranglerzipsforbananastallblocktoo
    natro220 said:
    But when you're pitting them against each other, and they all have a pretty decent looking exterior (except of course...Market Street), how else are you supposed to judge them to rank them?  With a corner, you lose like 15% of the interior space to sidewalk.
    actually I think corners have more inside space. with the exception of town hall. about 24 * 24 studs versus I think about 32 * 16 studs?
  • AquapolisAquapolis Member Posts: 32
    If you guys need another data point!

1) Grand Emporium - Death Star was the reason I got out of the dark ages, but this is the first set I bought.
    2) Pet Shop - My favorite modular so far other than GE.
    3) Parisian Cafe - really like the color.
    4) Detective's Office (do not owned)
    5) Green Grocer (do not owned but have been staring for years)
    6) Brick Bank
    7) Fire Brigade
    8) Palace Cinema
    9) Cafe Corner (do not owned)
    10) Market Street
    11) Town Hall
    It may just be me, but shouldn't the Modular Building's Rankings be based on their merit and not their sentimental value?
    SumoLegojosekaleldougtszipsforbananasFollowsCloselygmonkey76
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Not sure it matters exactly why a person likes one over the other. Everyone forms their opinions based on very different criteria. Sentimental value is what pushes Fire Brigade to the top for me. I also believe in its other attributes as well, but the fact that it was my first pushed it into the lead. 
    stlux
    ^ Not sure it matters exactly why a person likes one over the other. Everyone forms their opinions based on very different criteria. Sentimental value is what pushes Fire Brigade to the top for me. I also believe in its other attributes as well, but the fact that it was my first pushed it into the lead. 
    That's fine; like I said, it may just be me, but I think it makes the rankings process a bit flawed. What if the first set that you bought was Market Street instead of Fire Brigade? :)