Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[UK] The Great Western Brick Show 2016

13»

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,720
    edited October 2016
    I had a great time albeit extremely stressful.  I exhibited Arvo's Alien Project and can tell you we only managed to get it secure and upright 5 minutes before the doors opened on Saturday.  Spent the entire time with my arms poised ready to catch in the event the table was nudged or as did happen a few minutes before doors closed when a child decided to grab it's tail and repeatedly yank to and fro.  How it survived I don't know.

Amazing to see Carl's final product in the flesh and the one of a kind car Caterham built specifically for his launch.  Amazing achievement.

Was good to meet up with a few regular faces as well aso some not so much.  @messy, you really should have grabbed those Germans.  ;)  @iso3200, you should have paid for more parking and yes, you really should continue with your spooky funfair.  @TheOneVeyronian, I hope you like the shirt.  :)

Another great show put on by a great bunch of people.

snowhitieLego_Starkhmellymel
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    ^ or the Jokers dilapidated fairground from The Killing Joke.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2016
    My bad, comment was supposed to follow Salamalex but I got distracted and took to long to post.
    Is is wrong to actually want the real Caterham instead of the Lego version? They look fun.

• HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    Great day, as everyone has said. Sorry for not meeting everyone from here in the flesh, but had a good time. Well done to all involved.

Traffic jams on Sunday morning were slow, but bearable, with plenty of space in the North Car Park.
    LostInTranslation
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,039
    @SirKevbags Awesome, but I don't think I was in the UK Saturday and Sunday... ;)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Another fantastic show, great work @Martin and of course all the fantastic builds! Just amazing this year.  Loved the bone circus, but def think you should go ahead with your build @iso3200

The robot wars was my highlight though, just brilliant. A few clips on my instagram:

Thanks to everyone who bought minifigs and chatted to us. And thanks to @sirrich69
    for the Caterham - father in law is made up! 
    LostInTranslationsnowhitie
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,531
    edited October 2016
    For @Anonymous and anyone else interested. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, with a little Bambi homage. 

rdflegoMinifigsMeGothamConstructionCoLegopantsHugeYellowBrickAnonymousdavetheoxygenmansnowhitiestlux
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,531
    I'll let my fellow collaborators post pics of their floats unless they want me to do so. The display seemed to go down really well with the public, and they had fun identifying all of the films/characters depicted. Thanks @shib in particular for upping the difficulty by picking a more obscure one! 
    But thanks to all of you for taking up the the challenge and taking part in the collaborative display after I sent you that rather rambly message two months ago when I was all excited with my idea :-) 
    People should know that some of these guys have never displayed any MOCs before but you wouldn't know it as all of the floats were amazing. Looking forward to adding more floats for the next show I attend (probably NSC) and I now have another few months to come up with another idea for next year's collaborative display  :-) 

I do have some pics of other models too, might get round to posting those tomorrow.  I too loved the Bones Circus, it was so cool (but you should do yours too @iso3200!), @OneWag's Friends scene, the Arcadeville display, the Paris themed layout,  the Princess Leia mosaic,  the small Fantasy model with lots of Elves foliage, and the lost world dinosaur land (can't remember its official title!). 
    LegopantsAnonymousdavetheoxygenman
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,360
    bandit778 said:
    My bad, comment was supposed to follow Salamalex but I got distracted and took to long to post.
    Is is wrong to actually want the real Caterham instead of the Lego version? They look fun.

They are an absolute hoot. My brother bought one about 10 years ago as a fun weekend toy. I've been lucky enough to have the keys for a few track days including this one at the Top Gear track at Dunsfold. Its "only" a 1600cc Rover engine with about 125bhp, but it weighs just over 500kg and flies. 60 comes up in a little of 4 seconds and it handles so well.

He has seen the LEGO version and now wants me to hunt out some suitable dark green pieces and fashion a windscreen for it!
    bandit778
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Lucy the parade was amazing, well done. Got me thinking I might actually build something one day soon! 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,485
    edited October 2016
    I managed to squeeze myself into the Caterham on display, despite being pretty slim and 6ft2. However, I have size 12 feet and was wearing my walking boots. There was barely an inch of space each side of my feet.

Carl asked if I could feel the pedals.

Yes, I could feel both of them.

Carl said there's three pedals.

I could not feel three. There was only two there.

I got out and reached in with my hands. There were three.

I guess if I ever drove one, I would have to be barefoot...
    GothamConstructionCoLegoboybandit778snowhitie
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,720

I guess if I ever drove one, I would have to be barefoot...
    Or have a chat with Carl.  I'm sure he could have a word and arrange an automatic for you.  A yellow one.  ;)
    Caterham did an SV version. It was for the larger driver! I can just about manage my brothers, but have nailed the brake and throttle at the same time as I changed gear!
  • AnonymousAnonymous GermanyMember Posts: 40
    For @Anonymous and anyone else interested. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, with a little Bambi homage. 

@LostInTranslation - Thank you for posting the photos. Your MOCs look absolutely fantastic :-)  Agrabah is so cool! So many little details :-)
    I really love your Disney parade floats, especially the Mickey Balloon one. The Dumbo one is brilliant too. Actually they're all brilliant :-D

From what I've read and seen, the show is well worth a trip to the UK. I really need to get over one year :-)

LegopantsLostInTranslationsnowhitie
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,999
    edited October 2016

Arrived back home yesterday evening.

Phew and crikey! STEAM was brilliant again this year - some great stuff on show.

The Flying Scotsman was extremely impressive.
    Really liked the floats featured in @LostInTranslation's collaborative Disney Parade - great idea :-)
    I think the "Bones Circus" had to be my favourite large-scale MOC (don't actually know who built it) - ruddy huge and so many details. Always amazes me what some AFOLs can build off the top of their heads.

Dunno who had the Robot Wars idea, but it was a good 'un! Hope it'll be included every year coz it was fab :-) 

As always, it was great to bump into lots of familiar Bricksetters and a couple of new ones too:

@SirKevbags
    @sirrich69
    @jon_k
    @LostInTranslation
    @TheBrickLadd
    @CoraHarrison & Helen
    @Shib
    @kioko21
    @cheshirecat
    @SilentMode
    @Messy
    @Lego_Star
    @LegoFan1970
    @ame_uwagi

@Huw - sorry I missed you. Didn't get to the show until 11:00 so you had probably already dashed off by then :-S

The FB Tombola was fun - won a couple of cool minifigs :-)) 

LostInTranslationTheBrickLaddAnonymousSirKevbagsdavetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCo
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,999
    jon_k said:
    Nice to See Paul again( legopants) and didn't try the hard sell on me :) ... 
    @jon_k - I must be slipping! There's always next time ;-D
    jon_k
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ Mutants you won't find anywhere else!
    LostInTranslationLegopantsTheBrickLaddAnonymousflecskisnowhitie
    Does anyone have any photos of the "Bones Circus"? Sounds awesome!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,485
    I took loads of photos - of pretty much everything - which I'll upload to my Flickr in the next few days. I think I have about 150 or so. I've been away until today though, so haven't yet had chance.
    snowhitie
    The Bones Circus was built by @3BrickFriends.
    ricecakeAnonymousstlux
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,878
    edited October 2016
    @Paperballpark thanks for the great pictures. I do hope that  my health will allow me to make it to one of the big UK events next year see things and meet up with fellow bricksetters, but it's great seeing it all, thanks a bunch. 
    AnonymousPaperballpark
    edited October 2016

@Speedman29 - thanks for posting the "Bones Circus" photos. Truly amazing build - so many little details :-)

And thank you @Paperballpark for posting your flickr link. There were some really awesome MOCs on show :-)

Speedman29Paperballpark