Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Advice on bulk minifigs...for wedding

jadeblaisejadeblaise Member Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hey
You guys seem to know your legos so I was hoping for some advice. I am planning a wedding and for the favors I want a big table for people to create their own minifigs like you can do at lego stores. My fiance LOVES legos and I want to make this work as a special thing for him. I obviously am not going to give away his collection and I am not sure the best way to buy minifigs or parts in bulk. I know of the community sets of minifigs but would like a nice variety. There are also individual ones all over but the shipping costs add up to be ridiculous. I just need a large assortment of parts and accessories and I am not sure what the best options are rather then buying a set and a bunch of individuals.
Any advice that you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I think your best bet would be to just search ebay for Minifigure Lots. Either that or try craigslist to see if anyone has a lot of figures. Although with craigslists it seems like all I ever find are Duplo lego or people who think they can charge a ridiculous amount for random LEGO pieces....

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/tag/2823136703.html

So I'd say try ebay.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Well, it depends on how many people will be attending this event. If it's around 50-60, buy a case of the Collectible Minifigures. Open them and just mix the parts together. That way people can put together their own snowboarding gladiator or boxing Cleopatra.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    heh ^

Clown Gangsters
    Fitness Minotaurs
  • giraffefrecklesgiraffefreckles Member Posts: 100
    Have you tried yet calling The LEGO Group to see what they can do for you? Depending on how many people will be attending your wedding, this is a little local exposure to the little figs. At online Pick a Brick prices, it should be about $2 a minifig, including one average accessory.

Unfortunately, if it's from their warehouse, you're at the mercy of the person picking random parts for you if that's what you request. For total control (and to mix things up with the collectable minifigs) you can choose your own body parts and accessories on LEGO's online Pick a Brick site. However, that site doesn't list all that's available, and LEGO tells me you can't combine that order with a special order for lesser combined shipping costs.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    where are you at? I ended up with a lot of mini figs parts that are pretty much brand new that I want to unload. There is some variety and I'm willing to give you a good price :) I need room (plus funds for other collections :D )
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,910
    Don't buy it from the Amazon link above, buy it directly from LEGO for half the price: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minifigure-Wedding-Favor-Set-853340
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Ahh, good point, I thought Lego was sold out... My local Lego store ran out of those a month ago and have not restocked...

Yes, if you can buy directly from Lego, then of course do that... :)
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,178
    ^ ^^ Unless the wedding is next month of course, but collectibles minifigures are a better value if the wedding is soon since there is more variety.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,797
    edited January 2012
    My friends did this. They bought a couple of sets of the community figure sets http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Community-Minifigure-Set-9348
    (Well it wasn't that version, but the previous version), you end up with a lot more 'normal' people than you would with a box of collectable figs.
    They just made up the different figures and put them with the place settings.

Edit: just re-read your message. Doh! Guess you could do both. Buy a box of collectable figs (you might be able to get series 4 or 5 cheap somewhere) and the more standard community ones.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    There's also this fantasy set available from the same (Dacta/Education) range:

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9349-1

Has some interesting elements (crown, witches hat) but many of the accessories are brick built and not sure how well they'll do in mix and match (although the same advantage of standard yellow heads).
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 837
    Forget buying lots of Lego people, just buy more booze.
  • jadeblaisejadeblaise Member Posts: 2
    where are you at? I ended up with a lot of mini figs parts that are pretty much brand new that I want to unload. There is some variety and I'm willing to give you a good price :) I need room (plus funds for other collections :D )
    In MN. How many do you have and how much?

And thanks for all the ideas guys, lots of great options!
    Forget buying lots of Lego people, just buy more booze.
    Lol, we'll have both, no worries!

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954
    What is nice about buying a few boxes of the current minifigs and mixing them up, is that there you can still find some of the past line at Wal-mart. Depending upon when the wedding is, you could also buy some of the next line as well. This would really tie you a variety.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    In MN. How many do you have and how much?
    You got PM :)

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Here's a post that shows some LEGO details we had for our wedding:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/32648#Comment_32648

We made LEGO save-the-dates for all our guests so we bought bulk figures on Bricklink. Ours were just a bride and groom to represent us, but I imagine you could just find a big seller who has a lot of minfig variety. It's going to be cheaper than buying anything directly from LEGO:
    http://lindaandroland.blogspot.com/2007/08/lego-save-date.html