Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    The following video confirms the UK price of £69.99.

stevecook132kiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,872
    speaking of ideas sets, any one seen the maze in a non Lego store?
  • worldofpenguinsworldofpenguins USAMember Posts: 13
    ^I saw the maze in a TRU.
    SumoLegoBrickDancerkiki180703
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Things like that are often not available elsewhere, and only for a relatively short period. If you want one, get it; if you wait, you'll look around and it'll be gone.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    The maze has been in every toy r us I visit.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I think the green and gold caterham looks so much better then the all gold one.  I like the engine detail  feature when you remove the hood.  I wont be buying it, but if you collect the car series this is a pretty cool addition.
    ryjay said:
    It was available from a number of US retailers.

However, @chrisalddin is in the UK, and he might have a good point; UK retailer's don't seem to have stocked it. Unless somebody knows otherwise...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,169
    ryjay said:
    I think the green and gold caterham looks so much better then the all gold one.  I like the engine detail  feature when you remove the hood.  I wont be buying it, but if you collect the car series this is a pretty cool addition.
    I bet they went with a different color than the concept model mainly because the Mini Cooper was already dark green. Part availability and Caterham also probably had a say in the final choice.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,138
    TigerMoth said:
    ryjay said:
    It was available from a number of US retailers.

However, @chrisalddin is in the UK, and he might have a good point; UK retailer's don't seem to have stocked it. Unless somebody knows otherwise...
    I'm almost positive that I saw The Maze in the TrU in Tunbridge Wells a couple of months ago... I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember doing so.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ryjay said:
    I bet they went with a different color than the concept model mainly because the Mini Cooper was already dark green. Part availability and Caterham also probably had a say in the final choice.
    I think the green and gold is really a lotus thing more than a caterham thing. 
    BumblepantsSumoLegokiki180703SithLord196
    ryjay said:
    I think the green and gold is really a lotus thing more than a caterham thing. 
    Green and gold are their special edition colours. They aren't too happy with the way people reuse them on other models - effectively without paying the extra for the special edition label. That may have some bearing on the choice of colour for the set.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Huh?
    Bumblepantskiki180703MattDawsonWaterjedi17
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,708
    It's all tied up with Caterham Racing and their former F1 team, and the history with Lotus... I imagine it gets a bit complicated, so they've gone for a striking colour scheme that's not shared with other lego models.

On a slightly different note, is this the same price as the Ferrari, but with ~400 less pieces? Crikey!
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    TheOriginalSimonBkiki180703
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    My local Barnes & Noble (US) carries it.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    http://www.greatwesternbrickshow.com/see-the-new-caterham-seven-620r/

For anyone interested in the Caterham Ideas set, it will be on sale at the Great Western Brick Show in Swindon this weekend and Carl will be promoting it accompanied by a real Caterham!  
    cheshirecatkiki180703
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    edited October 2016
    The Fishing Store FTW! 

Pretty sure I'll be buying that one,  after deciding to pass on the Caterham (sorry Carl, it's brill but not my bag). 
    stluxBumblepantskiki180703Jern92madforLEGOmatoli
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,287
    The results are in: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/85
    I liked many of the sets in this review round, but didn't think many, if any, would make it through. Had not expected Old Fishing Store to make it to an official set at all. Great model though!
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Oh wow what a surprise!  Awesome result and looking forward to owning this set!

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,288
    That was very unexpected. I wonder if the choice was part of TLG's push for more original projects. 

I can see people complaining that the final product has either been changed too much or has too high a price depending on what the final product turns out like.

Certainly not one for me, there's nothing particularly about it to make me choose it over any other creator building and I buy very few of them.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,157
    That result is definitely surprising. I will hopefully be purchasing it. It does appear smaller than most other modular type buildings that have advanced to the review.

I was also hoping the fossil museum vignettes would make it. 

For the next review, I think Voltron and the Lamborghini are the most likely ones to pass. The Lamborghini probably has a better chance than Voltron.
    matoli
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Yes certainly wondering what the final product will look like.  Ideally not much will change but realistically we already know TLG always changes a few things when they take over the project.   
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 553
    The Fishing Store!!!! Definitely going to be picking this one up. 
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    Man, I really wanted Johnny 5!!
    dspigelJohnyk668kiki180703
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 369
    Very surprising! I'll definitely be picking one of those up! 
    madforLEGO
    It was overdue for a creative build like this to win that isn't tied to an IP. Will definitely be getting one.
    klatu003kiki180703catwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,060
    Really like the set and hope they don't change the look to much.
    Looking forward to the next lot as there are some really good builds in there. Personal favourite would be the Adams Family Mansion as that would fill the Haunted House shaped whole I have in my collection. Close second would be the UCS landspeeder.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,807
    Surprised by the amount of love for Johnny Five on the front page, looks like Lego missed a trick with that one. It would have made for a nice small set and I couldn't see any problems with the parts used. Maybe its a odd licence to get but would have made for a great set. 
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ Johnny 5 seemed like a somewhat easy choice given Ideas history.  That said, it's got a fair amount of similarity to Wall-E.

I am very surprised - pleasantly - about this selection. The Old Fishing Store seems like the type of project that Ideas was launched to try and encourage and support, but I think many of us have become too jaded by past selections and just assume it's always going to be the pop culture IP set or something science-based
    stluxdspigelkiki180703CCCpharmjodcatwrangler
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 40
    Wow, happy this set was chosen it looks very cool!
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 194
    Unexpected. The Old Fishing Store is definitely a beautiful set but I doubt I will buy it personally (though it would look great alongside my Scooby-Doo sets). I guess it really depends on what the actual price is when released as I could still be tempted if the price is right.

I honestly thought that based on previous Ideas sets it would have been between Johnny 5 (which I would have loved as Short Circuit is one of my favourite movies) and the Fossil Museum which would have been nice too. Maybe Johnny 5 could have a Lego Dimensions release instead just like Gremlins & E.T. which I'm looking forward to owning?

I'm sure the Old Fishing Store will be a successful set and please many fans, particularly those who like the modular builds. I hope the next Ideas set is either Eagle 5 (Spaceballs) or the Addams Family Mansion (another movie favourite) but if the Old Fishing Store is successful the Merchant's House could be a contender too. 

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 843
    I am surprised (and wrong with my guess!) but rather pleased - it *feels* like this could be the largest Ideas set so far (please correct me if I'm wrong?) and I think the first building too?  

I know some will be disappointed, but I'm delighted to see Johnny-5 not make it... let this be the end of 80s nostalgia sets!
    klatu003dougtskiki180703madforLEGOBumblepantscatwranglermr.piggles
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,852
    mr_benn said:
    I am surprised (and wrong with my guess!) but rather pleased - it *feels* like this could be the largest Ideas set so far (please correct me if I'm wrong?) and I think the first building too? 
    I've seen a lot of comments about it being the largest so far, but there's really no way to know for sure until the Saturn V is unveiled (since rumors are that one will be quite large in its own right). I think you're right about it being the first building, though.
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,157
    I did some double checking on the size and according to the original submission, it has approximately 2,160 parts. That would put it in line with currently available modular buildings, so I'd guess a price tag of $150-$170.

It still looks smaller than a lot of other buildings that have advanced to the review though.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 361
    I did some double checking on the size and according to the original submission, it has approximately 2,160 parts. That would put it in line with currently available modular buildings, so I'd guess a price tag of $150-$170.

It still looks smaller than a lot of other buildings that have advanced to the review though.

I'd imagine they might try and reduce the piece count somewhat. But then again, I'd imagine most pieces might be on the smaller side?? Not sure and I'm not going to look at the original model any more so I don't get too disappointed if they change it a lot for the final model. I want this model so much, so don't want to be disappointed by it :D
    catwrangler
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 447
    I'm really glad the old fishing shop made it. I just love the design and am looking forward to building it. For the next round I really hope Voltron makes the cut, but I would also be happy with the Addams Family house, Merchants House or Plum Creek.
    catwrangler
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 361
    mustang69 said:
    I'm really glad the old fishing shop made it. I just love the design and am looking forward to building it. For the next round I really hope Voltron makes the cut, but I would also be happy with the Addams Family house, Merchants House or Plum Creek.
    I don't really know/understand what Voltron is :p

So don't really care for that model. It's all about the Observatory for me. The Addams Family House is good and if it were made I might get it, but unsure at at this point.
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 446
    I really like Legos choice. I did want Johnny 5 as well but it's too close to Wally. I hope they pick 2 from the upcoming group.
    matoli
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,574
    Huw said:
    @Bumblepants you were the first to correctly predict the result. You're a winner! Send me your address and I'll send you some Brickset goodies.
    He's won just about enough stuff.
    BumblepantsMattDawson
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    Anyone know if there is a link to the actual build and parts list to Johnny5?
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 778
    Shadow over Innsmouth/Fishing Hamlet vibes. Hopefully the final product isn't far from the original build.
    Infinitymancatwranglereanair
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    Actually scrap that public request, I just read the Lepin thread and don't expect any half decent MOC to have a published parts list anymore. 

• Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 815
    Woohoo, definitely getting this one to go with the rest of my buildings!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,549
    Wow, Nice, but most surprising is its selection IMO. I guess this blows away the theory of LEGO having a budget limitation when it comes to 'Ideas' sets now.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,852
    Wow, Nice, but most surprising is its selection IMO. I guess this blows away the theory of LEGO having a budget limitation when it comes to 'Ideas' sets now.
    Not necessarily. This definitely seems like a $150 to $160 set, but even so, that doesn't mean all bets are off. I doubt there's any strict limit on how big an Ideas set could get, but bigger projects will probably always be judged with greater scrutiny. And LEGO will probably wait to see how this and the Saturn V Rocket do before they go so far as to produce, say, a $350 set like the Firehouse Headquarters or Disney Castle through Ideas.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Let's hope that Lego doesn't cheese-out and switch the color away from sand-green! This is a great model and am happy that Lego pick it. So tired of IP's.
    matolimr.piggles
    It will be interesting to see how much changes between the submitted model and the end product. I imagine some cost saving simplifications might take place but hopefully they stick pretty close to the original.
    gmonkey76kiki180703RogerKirk
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    It seems LEGO are bringing out more larger sets from the LEGO Ideas platform which is a good sign, therefore the next review results should be quite interesting.

The original submission contains over 2,000 elements which would be very unlikely to be translated to a LEGO Ideas product, I think they'd like to keep it under 1,000 elements. The fan designer mentioned his inspiration for the Old Fishing Store was the Winter Village sets, which got me thinking that the LEGO designer/s could borrow that insight and scale back the design of the final product, with a similar aesthetic appearance to the Winter Village range without the Christmas theme. It would contain around 800-1000 elements which would be priced between £60 and £90.
    catwranglermatoli