Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    SumoLego said:

And isn't Hong Kong in Southeast Asia?
    As you asked, no it isn't.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    stlux said:

Shipping to: Worldwide
    Excludes: Alaska/Hawaii, APO/FPO, US Protectorates, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, North America, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America

"Ground Control to Major Tom: We're just wondering if you could proxy a parcel for us from a particularly tricky eBay seller"
    stluxSumoLegoLyichir
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278

Do Australia and New Zealand count as part of Oceania?

• Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 459
    stlux said:

Excludes: Alaska/Hawaii, APO/FPO, US Protectorates, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, North America, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America

Oooookay... Their definition of "worldwide" is just as interesting as the rest of their business model.
    Maybe they ship to Atlantis...
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    edited September 2016
    Lol! Looks like can only ship to the North and South poles. 

And the Moon, of course. 
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterTheMaker37
    edited September 2016
    Recce said:
    Lol! Looks like can only ship to the North and South poles. 

And the Moon, of course. 

No, actually. It says "Worldwide". Nothing about outer space. So sorry ISS, the Moon, Elon Musk's secret base on Mars, etc.

But we know that at least if Santa wants to order, he will get his delivery. And thus every child in the world... ;-)

stluxTheMaker37SumoLegoricecakeMuftak1catwrangler
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    The folks behind Lepin:

This appears on the bottom of their boxes.

First line is the name of the company. Second line is their address (at least the industrial park).

Ok, thanks. Anyone care to translate?

:)

• ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    This should be the company's location according to nhyone. 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 456

Ok, thanks. Anyone care to translate?

:)

From Google translate.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,332
    Found in Greece seemingly not bothered about using Lego or Star Wars names
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    roxio said:
    Actually, those say LEBQ, not LEGO. I think their logo is the most blatantly similar to the LEGO logo.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,332
    ricecake said:
    roxio said:
    Actually, those say LEBQ, not LEGO. I think their logo is the most blatantly similar to the LEGO logo.
    Lol I'll put my glasses on!
    Don't they usually change Star Wars name slightly as well?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    roxio said:
    ricecake said:
    roxio said:
    Yeah, STAR WNRS is one that's been posted a few times.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    roxio said:
    Some of the same ones I saw in Greece (Kos) this summer.
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 270
    Down with Lepin and all their fake rip-off garbage. that's My opinion.
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    roxio said:
    ricecake said:
    roxio said:
    Yeah, STAR WNRS is one that's been posted a few times.
    To me that is one of the problems, I just looked at the boxes and didn't even notice the spelling errors in both logos until I had a good look. 
    How many buyers see a big red square with a similar font and naturally think Lego
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    I'm pretty sure that is the intention.
    AanchirdougtsJohnyk668Pitfall69stluxTheMaker37SumoLegoAllBrick
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Down with Lepin and all their fake rip-off garbage. that's My opinion.
    Unfortunately for Lego and resellers it is not 'garbage'.
    ___MIKE___
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 461
    ^^^ Wow!! I wonder if they will release the not yet released Modular before Lego does.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    Nexus Knights, Ninjagoes and STAR WRNS...lol
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,091
    "Space Fights", "Fairy", "Urban"... "Compatible with LEPIN"!!!!??? Oh dear. 

This is all-out war, surely?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,740
    I suppose the boot has no quarrel with a flepin...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    SumoLego said:
    I suppose the boot has no quarrel with a flepin...

starwars4evercatwranglerlordzarak
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    edited September 2016
    The "compatible with Lepin" has been increasing quite rapidly over the past few weeks. It shows what is happening to the market leader in Asia ...

It seems Lego has lost the war in the far east already.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,437
    This may be a silly question, but is LEGO the market leader for building toys in Asia? I cannot seem to find market share figures for the Asian market.

Growing up in North Carolina, Lance was the brand of snack crackers found on the shelves in every store selling crackers. I'm sure there were other brands, but Lance was everywhere. When I moved to Connecticut, Lance was unavailable locally, and mostly unknown in the local market. Other brands were widely available, but for me comparing Lance crackers to the locally available alternatives was like comparing LEGO to Lepin. Lance has started selling in CT now, and I'm back to buying the brand I grew up with, but the incumbent brands are still thriving.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    This may be a silly question, but is LEGO the market leader for building toys in Asia? I cannot seem to find market share figures for the Asian market.

Growing up in North Carolina, Lance was the brand of snack crackers found on the shelves in every store selling crackers. I'm sure there were other brands, but Lance was everywhere. When I moved to Connecticut, Lance was unavailable locally, and mostly unknown in the local market. Other brands were widely available, but for me comparing Lance crackers to the locally available alternatives was like comparing LEGO to Lepin. Lance has started selling in CT now, and I'm back to buying the brand I grew up with, but the incumbent brands are still thriving.
     I don't know if LEGO can be considered the market leader in Asia, but their sales in Asia have been growing at a pretty brisk pace for several years, so it doesn't seem like these clone brands have presented an existential threat to their business there. Also, the fact that companies like Bela, LEBQ, and Lepin continue to so blatantly imitate the LEGO Group's branding (both for LEGO in general and for specific themes) suggests the LEGO Group's brands and IPs do have a reputation or a level of prestige in Asia that the knock-offs want to capitalize on.
  • raygunnraygunn Member Posts: 90
    Sorry, but that's... just... crackers!    ;-)
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    Aanchir said:

I don't know if LEGO can be considered the market leader in Asia
    The whole thing about brands works rather differently out there; 80-90% of all toys are unbranded. When you do have brands, there are dozens of them. So there probably isn't really a brand leader ( I know that's not quite the same as a market leader). It's also possible that none of them aspire to that title as long as the money keeps coming - which, after all, is what counts.
    Also, the fact that companies like Bela, LEBQ, and Lepin continue to so blatantly imitate the LEGO Group's branding (both for LEGO in general and for specific themes) suggests the LEGO Group's brands and IPs do have a reputation or a level of prestige in Asia that the knock-offs want to capitalize on.
    Maybe. Unfortunately, it's also something which is self-perpetuating once you've started doing it. The red square started out denoting one brand; now it probably indicates a construction toy - especially if the letters aren't particularly familiar. Changing it is likely to see a drop in sales for any manufacturer that currently uses it. It's a variation on why TLG are so protective of "LEGO" - they don't want people to get used to using it in ways that lead to them saying LEPIN lego sets (@Pitfall69's going to have apoplexy)! It's a bit harder to protect a red square.

You might start using it in the first place because it's something prestigious, but it might also be simply be because people feel there's something familiar about it - essentially because there is. You can even use the name incorrectly and get away with it - you could slap a "Ninjagoes" label on a Chima set because it's near-enough the right area and most people in a new market wouldn't know the difference.

For those who want to try and find some meaning where there isn't really any, the North American and Asian toy markets are, in general terms, about the same size - although the latter is growing rapidily. TLG has about 2% share of the American market, and 1% of the Asian (for comparison, Hasbro has about 1% of the American market; Mattel is much closer to TLG's figure). That might hint at (but definitely not say) something about about construction toy brands in Asia.
    datsunrobbie
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    TigerMoth said:
    Aanchir said:

I don't know if LEGO can be considered the market leader in Asia
    The whole thing about brands works rather differently out there; 80-90% of all toys are unbranded. When you do have brands, there are dozens of them. So there probably isn't really a brand leader ( I know that's not quite the same as a market leader). It's also possible that none of them aspire to that title as long as the money keeps coming - which, after all, is what counts.
    Also, the fact that companies like Bela, LEBQ, and Lepin continue to so blatantly imitate the LEGO Group's branding (both for LEGO in general and for specific themes) suggests the LEGO Group's brands and IPs do have a reputation or a level of prestige in Asia that the knock-offs want to capitalize on.
    Maybe. Unfortunately, it's also something which is self-perpetuating once you've started doing it. The red square started out denoting one brand; now it probably indicates a construction toy - especially if the letters aren't particularly familiar. Changing it is likely to see a drop in sales for any manufacturer that currently uses it. It's a variation on why TLG are so protective of "LEGO" - they don't want people to get used to using it in ways that lead to them saying LEPIN lego sets (@Pitfall69's going to have apoplexy)! It's a bit harder to protect a red square.

You might start using it in the first place because it's something prestigious, but it might also be simply be because people feel there's something familiar about it - essentially because there is. You can even use the name incorrectly and get away with it - you could slap a "Ninjagoes" label on a Chima set because it's near-enough the right area and most people in a new market wouldn't know the difference.

For those who want to try and find some meaning where there isn't really any, the North American and Asian toy markets are, in general terms, about the same size - although the latter is growing rapidily. TLG has about 2% share of the American market, and 1% of the Asian (for comparison, Hasbro has about 1% of the American market; Mattel is much closer to TLG's figure). That might hint at (but definitely not say) something about about construction toy brands in Asia.
    Good insights. If the toy market in Asia is growing as a whole, perhaps the major question is not how big the LEGO Group is in Asia currently, but how close their growth numbers there are to keeping pace with the growth of the market. In an expanding market, they might be able to simply outpace their competitors in growth instead of just competing with them for the existing market share. Also, the more familiar Asian consumers become with the LEGO brand, the better position LEGO will be in to protect that brand from competitors and establish a reputation as an authentic and trustworthy brand.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,437
    I have to agree about the red square logo, as I've been using that in thrift stores without consciously realizing it. When I'm scanning the shelves that red square is the first thing that catches my eye, and as a result I have stumbled across some knock-offs I never knew existed. It also comes in handy in the used books aisle when looking for DK LEGO books.
    catwrangler
    Sounds like a Russian clone ... Red Square Bricks.
    AanchirMattDawson
    edited September 2016
    ^ I'd rather have Russian clone bricks than the Woolly Mammoth they're trying to clone...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-16068581

Red Square Bricks, standing by.
    TheMaker37davetheoxygenman
    edited September 2016
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-378Pcs-Technic-Motorcycle-Exploiture-Model-Harley-Vehicle-Building-Bricks-Block-Set-Toy-Gift-Compatible-With/32663757468.html?tr

I saw this in the flesh yesterday at a friend's house. It's the first fake technical I've seen up close. It looked absolutely superb and really well built and strong to play with. I'm not sure if it is a direct lego copy or not (I'm not big on technical).
    CCC said:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-378Pcs-Technic-Motorcycle-Exploiture-Model-Harley-Vehicle-Building-Bricks-Block-Set-Toy-Gift-Compatible-With/32663757468.html?tr

I saw this in the flesh yesterday at a friend's house. It's the first fake technical I've seen up close. It looked absolutely superb and really well built and strong to play with. I'm not sure if it is a direct lego copy or not (I'm not big on technical).
    It's extremely similar (?) to  #8051, although the picture you've shown would be the B model.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,783
    CCC said:

That does look superb - Lego should be very worried! All that for US$20 delivered to the UK, wow!
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    CCC said:

That does look superb - Lego should be very worried! All that for US$20 delivered to the UK, wow!
    In the reviews people complain about broken pieces, wrong pieces, and missing instructions, so seems you get what you pay for.
    xwingpilot
  • LunchieteyLunchietey Australia Member Posts: 24
    Hi. Just joined this forum (but a member of other forums where this subject is not permitted)

I have just ordered the SSD in preparation for the MF reviews which should start appearing soon.

Why did I personally 'sink' to the level of knock off lego? Well let me explain.

Firstly I mostly collect UCS lego as I am an AFOL with my own 'man cave' which I like to display various pieces of my choice. I have a very distinct list of UCS ships which I want for the room including empty glass doored, led lit shelves for them to eventually reside in.

I love Lego UCS ships but as I have only recently started to buy them, I have missed out on most of the iconic ships as many have. 

There are various rumours about rereleases etc but as yet they are just rumours. I know someone with a MISB MF that he won't sell or build because of its value. I drooled over it, looked around and the prices are not only ridiculous for their rarity but also for what it is. It's lego, no gold bullion! Plastic pieces in a box for thousands of dollars? No thanks, feel free to keep your box of bricks thanks. Have seen one 10179 advertised for $12000. Are you kidding? What idiot would pay that for a lego toy...one thing is for sure, there will be no more price increases seeing as these replicas and rereleases will destroy their value.

Having seen these replicas coming out, and reading mostly positive reviews on these latest sets, I will be buying them and displaying them alongside their Lego genuine family members. I will never ever buy a stupidly priced box of plastic pieces.

However, when and IF lego decide to officially re release any of these sets I choose to buy replicas of, I will prompty replace them with the genuine article out of respect to the original designers and IP.

The way LEGO draws out releases I will be old and grey before I would see my collection complete.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Muftak1 said:
    stlux said:

Oooookay... Their definition of "worldwide" is just as interesting as the rest of their business model.
    Maybe they ship to Atlantis...
    Ditto...

Dammit. I wanted to say "Atlantis" !
    Muftak1
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 794
    In other news, the Taj is now in line for production.
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2016
    stlux said:

In the reviews people complain about broken pieces, wrong pieces, and missing instructions, so seems you get what you pay for.
    That may be the reseller's fault if they repackage the set. Or it could be fake reviews.

I never took note of it (not interested in Technics), but since I saw this, I chanced on it on TaoBao. It is Decool 3354, available for 60 RMB (US$8.92), so don't overpay. :-D

Decool has a line of Technic and Creator X-in-1 vehicles. They are highly derivative of Lego's design, but they are not exact copies, as far as I can tell. (Maybe the Technic sets are?)

Decool could be in a transitional state of moving to their own designs.
    nhyone said:

I never took note of it (not interested in Technics), but since I saw this, I chanced on it on TaoBao. It is Decool 3354, available for 60 RMB (US$8.92), so don't overpay. :-D

Remember that on taobao and aliexpress and similar sites, sellers often do free postage (as it is what the customers want / expect). So prices can often vary by country as they include postage in the prices.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    I'm currently in Portugal. Very happy to say that I haven't seen the type of knockoffs that people have reported on from Greece. Only seen Sluban so far. At least those seem to have their own designs, and don't quite so much try to pass themselves of for genuine Lego...
    SprinkleOtter
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,904
    While in Ireland last week found these delightful little Items.

Everyone's favourites, Darth Vader, Commander Cody and of course that most memorable of characters, Jason.

Pitfall69dspigelBobflipBumblepants
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    So even clone brands thing Kylo Renn is just a ripoff of Jason Solo...
    bandit778plasmodiumgmonkey76
    bandit778 said:
    While in Ireland last week found these delightful little Items.

Everyone's favourites, Darth Vader, Commander Cody and of course that most memorable of characters, Jason.

Thought one:
    Can I buy the rest of the Argonauts?

Thought two:
    Shouldn't he come with a hockey mask?

Thought three:
    That's not a bad likeness of Matt Damon.

Shibbandit778TheMaker37Muftak1DontcopythatfloppyBumblepants
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Jason the last Airbender? Nice :)
    bandit778
    Yea. Where's Jason s hockey mask and Jason x armor?
    Jason X on the Death Star...now there's a f--king movie....
    Dontcopythatfloppy