Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71040 Cinderella's Castle

Comments

• MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 77
    My son finished the castle and the whole family loves it.  There were a lot of new to us building techniques.  He spent 3 days building in the family room so everyone could see.  I didn't do any of the building having another project I am working on, but worked in the same room so could see what he was doing.  Nice timing on the part of Lego with the release date.  Not a lot of homework yet, or busy holiday time, so we could really enjoy it with out other things pulling us away.  Very fun set that works well with the CMFs.  We put Tink on a clear rod thing from the Dr. Strange set, not sure if that is the right name of the set, so she could fly around the towers.  We have a few other little additions that we have talked of making too. 
    starwars4evercatwrangler
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Oh they could go even larger and grander not?  Waiting for a set to exceed the Taj!  When will that happen?  It almost seems strange with all the large sets it didn't happen this year but maybe they are slowly making their way there and testing the waters price point wise.  
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    SumoLego said:
    Also debatable but incites sleep:  1) How corrupt are politicians, 2) Chicken v. Egg, 3) zzzzzzzz....
    2) The Egg comes first. Debate settled =)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,879
    The rumors for next year's CMFs are a LEGO Batman Movie series, a generic series, and a LEGO Ninjago Movie series. With that in mind, I'm not entirely sure there'd BE a D2C set that could be considered Minifigures-themed. The two Simpsons D2C sets and Disney Castle all tied in with Minifigures series that didn't have full play themes of their own. But the LEGO Batman Movie and LEGO Ninjago Movie will be getting various retail playsets, and there's no "licensed" series besides them known
    to be in the works.

That's not to say there won't be any D2C set based on either of those movies, but if there is it would more likely be classified as an offshoot of the movie themes themselves and not of the Minifigures series.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,363
    SumoLego said:
    Any chance next year's CMF exclusive is Disney-Themed?  

This bit about unbiased vs. biased reviewing is tired.  Film studios do free screenings for critics - so take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Also debatable but incites sleep:  1) How corrupt are politicians, 2) Chicken v. Egg, 3) zzzzzzzz....
    No Disney CMFs next year so I doubt it
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,156
    SumoLego said:
    But you can't have an egg without a chicken...

(slumps into narcoleptic episode)...
    gmonkey76
  • DontcopythatfloppyDontcopythatfloppy 'MuricaMember Posts: 43
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    But you can't have an egg without a chicken...

(slumps into narcoleptic episode)...
    But you never said it had to be a chicken egg, thouzzzzzzzz...
    SumoLego
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 681
    edited August 2016
    I'm just waiting for photos of the Castle taken over by Palpatine and Stormtroopers...(yes, make it happen people! I would but I do not have the $$ to get it). Also, is this set similar to the castle that is (was) in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, at the LEGO exhibit a few weeks ago? 

Just to end the beating on the dead horse (and this has NOTHING to do with this site's reviews), if you review something and get it for free, you should disclaim it first so that we can take the review with a grain of salt. I also know that reviews can't be truly unbiased since they're opinions, but they usually go with a set of standards that they pass (in the case of LEGO sets reviews, number of pieces, style, series, difficulty, and so on) which makes them seem fair. Am I jealous because I don't get free stuff? Of course, who isn't, especially when people get new stuff early and for free, but that does not mean I am mad or angry about the whole situation. If you get stuff for free, that's awesome, I'm happy for you. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    For me,  reviews just needs to entertain me.  I have to have fun reading them.  I don't even care if you make things up or embellish the sets for fun.  No review is ever going to make me buy or not buy...I can do my own eye-test to price-test to want-test.

BTW, the best review I ever read here was the fake Assault on Hoth just rehashing the old sets into the new one and making it sound fantastic.
    PeteMbandit778josekalelkiki180703worldofpenguinsDontcopythatfloppyalschuieBrickDancersnowhitie
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,578
    While it is nice to know if the reviewer got the set for free, I don't give it much weight when it comes to reviews of LEGO sets. For someone who can afford to buy multiple copies of a set, getting one for free is unlikely to have much of an effect of their review. Conversely, a free set given to a reviewer who otherwise would be unable to get the set will likely affect their review. I got the 10188 Death Star used for $80, and I think it is a great set, but I doubt I'd actually buy it at retail price, as I have gotten spoiled buying used LEGO. 
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    I've not seen anything to suggest that being provided with free review copies of some sets in any way compromises the integrity of the reviews on Brickset. On the contrary, I admire the way that the reviewers on this site do not simply lavish praise on sets and are prepared to offer constructive criticism. I understand that a review copy of 75098 Assault on Hoth was provided to the reviewer yet the actual review of that set was damning.
    mustang69kiki180703
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I've not seen anything to suggest that being provided with free review copies of some sets in any way compromises the integrity of the reviews on Brickset.
    I don't get this.

If you read the review of a washing machine, it tells you whether it washes your clothes or shreds them; it tells you whether it would wake the dead in the cemetery across town or whether you can put the baby asleep next to it. It tells you things that you don't know. You'll read a few reviews because some things are clearly opinions,  and opinions are subjective. We know opinions are subjective.

A review of a LEGO set can also tell you things you don't know - like what new parts it has. With a bit of luck, we get some different photographs - again, hopefully telling us something we didn't know. As before, we also get a few opinions - opinions we know are subjective. They're interesting to read, but surely they're largely irrelevant when it comes to our own purchases? Does it matter what the reviewer thinks, when we are likely to think something different? Does it matter whether the reviewer got the set free or, for that matter, was even bribed to say he or she liked it?

To say a washing machine washes better is an opinion that implies a fact about an essential function, and can therefore be used to mislead. It's a lot harder to mislead somebody else about a LEGO set - it is what it is, and you like it or not, but there's no middle ground.

If somebody said that #75098 was the best thing since sliced bread, would anybody else have bought it?
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 486
    The only thing that really matters (at least to me) with a review is how inclusive it is. A review should provide as much information as possible so those reading can make an informed decision. It doesnt really matter if a review is biased one way or the other. If they include as much information as they can then they did a good job. I dont think I've encountered a review on Brickset yet that has not provided detailed information.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    So back on topic, to those that have the set, what do you think?
    Johnyk668LEGO_Dad77
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    TigerMoth said:

I don't get this.

If you read the review of a washing machine, it tells you whether it washes your clothes or shreds them; it tells you whether it would wake the dead in the cemetery across town or whether you can put the baby asleep next to it. It tells you things that you don't know. You'll read a few reviews because some things are clearly opinions,  and opinions are subjective. We know opinions are subjective.

A review of a LEGO set can also tell you things you don't know - like what new parts it has. With a bit of luck, we get some different photographs - again, hopefully telling us something we didn't know. As before, we also get a few opinions - opinions we know are subjective. They're interesting to read, but surely they're largely irrelevant when it comes to our own purchases? Does it matter what the reviewer thinks, when we are likely to think something different? Does it matter whether the reviewer got the set free or, for that matter, was even bribed to say he or she liked it?

To say a washing machine washes better is an opinion that implies a fact about an essential function, and can therefore be used to mislead. It's a lot harder to mislead somebody else about a LEGO set - it is what it is, and you like it or not, but there's no middle ground.

If somebody said that #75098 was the best thing since sliced bread, would anybody else have bought it?
    I was trying to address the specific point raised earlier in this thread, that if a set is provided to the reviewer free of charge by the Lego group then it may affect that reviewer's objectivity and ability to provide a balanced opinion. If you take that line of argument to it's logical conclusion then it could be suggested that if the set if provided to the reviewer free of charge then the review will be more favourable than if the reviewer had to purchase the set. With regards to Brickset reviews I do not believe that to be the case. I have seen some quite critical reviews on this website when it was explicitly stated that the set was provided for review purposes.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that reviews are subjective and inherently open to the reviewers' own biases, unconscious or otherwise. Where I disagree is your point that reviews of Lego sets are 'irrelevant to our own purchases'. I can only speak from personal experience here but I do think reviews can help to inform purchasing decisions. If I am interested in purchasing a set then I will often read reviews of that set and those reviews can contribute to my decision as to whether to purchase that set or not. I'm not saying these reviews will necessarily be the determining factor but they can at least help to inform. I can also think of examples where a review had helped to persuade me to purchase a set I hadn't previously thought of purchasing. For example the excellent review of 70173 Ultra Agents Ocean HQ on this website encouraged me to go to the trouble of importing the set from the US, at considerable expense.
  • BombTecBombTec In the MountainsMember Posts: 110
    monkyby87 said:
    So back on topic, to those that have the set, what do you think?
    I just finished building this with my wife and was a lot of fun.  Has some new pieces that I haven't seen yet and some different build techniques.  Great amount of detail all over.  It is kinda tall and won't fit on normal shelf space and I dislike putting on stickers(they look decent though).   Overall it was worth the price and has more playability with the open rooms in the back and the accessories to go along with a story (ie Snow White apple, Sorcerer's Apprentice hat and mops etc).
    catwranglerMooreFXLEGO_Dad77
    TigerMoth said:
    That set is truly the Wampa's pajamas.

What is this 'sliced' bread, and where can I get some?
    MooreFXpharmjodBumblepants
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343

Where I disagree is your point that reviews of Lego sets are 'irrelevant to our own purchases'.
    That might be because it's not what I said.

Reviews contain facts and opinions. What I said was that the opinion element of that for a LEGO set isn't relevant, simply because everybody's opinion is different and we know that. It's really only that element that can be biased. The facts are, well, facts.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    Well, I can help with that....reviews of Lego sets are irrelevant to my own purchases...and that's not an opinion, that's a fact, lol
    LEGO_Dad77kiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    To be really fair, reviews of non-manufacturer-supplied items are really the only way to go.  You guys do well here with what you have (though I do feel you toe the Lego company line too closely), but the concept of "I received this product in return for an unbiased review" has mostly ruined Amazon reviews.  Thank goodness for fakespot.com.

A month or so ago, I joined a Facebook group where free or discounted things on amazon are offered in return for reviews. I wasn't accepted for any freebies (you seem to need to be a top 5000 reviewer) but did get two discounted items. The first was great, did exactly what it should do and I left an honest review. The second product was crap. It didn't work so well and broke after two days. So I left an honest review. I then got a couple of refusals from other sellers saying that they don't send items to people that leave poor reviews for free or discounted products. So on amazon I think the system is inherently corrupt. You must leave five stars to keep in favour, even though this is not public policy. I don't believe the same is true here, fortunately.
    catwranglerMooreFXkiki180703snowhitie
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    CCC said:

A month or so ago, I joined a Facebook group where free or discounted things on amazon are offered in return for reviews. I wasn't accepted for any freebies (you seem to need to be a top 5000 reviewer) but did get two discounted items. The first was great, did exactly what it should do and I left an honest review. The second product was crap. It didn't work so well and broke after two days. So I left an honest review. I then got a couple of refusals from other sellers saying that they don't send items to people that leave poor reviews for free or discounted products. So on amazon I think the system is inherently corrupt. You must leave five stars to keep in favour, even though this is not public policy. I don't believe the same is true here, fortunately.
    What is the name of this group? I could do with some free stuff
    It is UK only, but easy to search for on Facebook. There are many of them.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,344
    Seems that fireworks background is the standard way the Lego stores display the castle; at least the Saarbrücken one did as well. Looks great that way. Can't seem to find the one they use for sale anywhere, so might need to settle for something slightly different or get a similar one printed myself.
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 270
    @A.Brickovsky - I am currently awaiting delivery of the set in readiness for a review. The reason for a lack of news on the homepage is an absence of news altogether at the moment.
    Still waiting for the official Brickset review of this set. Why so late? I see that you have been busy with your excellent SW articles... but.... 71040 is one of the most iconic sets ever and already some users have published extensive reviews. Please update us!
    stlux said:
    Seems that fireworks background is the standard way the Lego stores display the castle; at least the Saarbrücken one did as well. Looks great that way. Can't seem to find the one they use for sale anywhere, so might need to settle for something slightly different or get a similar one printed myself.
    Same here in New York.  I'm tempted to ask if they have extras...
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,344
    Please ask if they have a couple of hundred extra to distribute to Brickset members? :)
    Jern92kiki180703
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2016
    @dutchlegofan50 - We are still waiting to receive the set from Billund but @drdavewatford has chased it up so hopefully it will turn up soon and the review will be published as soon as possible.

However, #75159 Death Star has arrived and I am hoping to have the review ready later this week.
    CM4Sstevecook132gmonkey76kiki180703legomental
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,908

@CapnRex101 Lego have done a bad job lately of dealing with fan sites (brickset).

They didn't send brickset the press release for Big Ben even after brickset had held back from posting leaked pictures (I say leaked but there was no watermark so it might be fairer to say brickset held back for posting the first pictures of the set).

They had an embargo on rogue one pictures and broke it themselves without telling fan sites they were also free to do so. Brickset rightfully reported the news but others (eurobricks) removed links to Lego's own facebook page (and told people off, of course).

They still haven't sent you this set some weeks after its release which limits the effect of brickset and Lego getting publicity from it as there have already been a number of reviews done. Brickset would have been better off buying the set on day one and then returning the sent set with the receipt from the first one.

Given the way in which Lego (Disney) has recently clamped down on any news from fans sites I think we are not far off a time when fan sites have to consider if they really do benefit from the close relationship.

These are just a few examples I particularly liked Lego leaking the dearth star twice themselves with the set being pictured and then built in a store before fan sites were allowed to post pictures.

Someone needs to have a word with them.

#badlego

SMC said:
    They still haven't sent you this set some weeks after its release which limits the effect of brickset and Lego getting publicity from it as there have already been a number of reviews done. Brickset would have been better off buying the set on day one and then returning the sent set with the receipt from the first one.
    I'm not so sure about that. Aren't the review sets meant to be for reviews only, and not for sale etc. So returning a review set to a store pretending you have previously bought that one is rather dodgy, even if you already purchased the same set. Sure, the store might not know but it still seems wrong using a stores return policy to provide early access to get a review set.

Plus there is the possibility that if lego see that BS have already reviewed the set, then they don't need a review copy after all.
    edited September 2016

^ Yes all true, my point was just that its in everyone's interest for Lego to try and get a set to the reviewer before the set is released so that the reviewer has time to write the review and that it is ready to be published on the day of release (or before if Lego wishes).  

Its much more exciting to see a review of a set that has not been released than for a set that has been on the shelf for weeks. And excitement is good for Lego and good for brickset.

I doubt Lego needed to send out pre-release sets for reviews in an effort to create some buzz.

BTW - they sold 30+ at the retail store in Victor, NY since release.
    gmonkey76
    edited September 2016

That's the whole point of sending out free sets to fan sites, saying they sold x number of sets is meaningless unless you have context. For Lego sending out a set for free is a cheap way of getting someone else to publicise them however small they might be. I was not saying Lego needs brickset to create buzz otherwise they would not sell a good number of sets. Why do you think Lego sends out free sets, because they love fan sites so much.

#naive

(I have no idea why I am hashtagging every post, just in a funny mood) 

#funnymood

It has been reported that they are cutting down on their advertising (in North America at least) as demand is outstripping supply. The cost of sending a few review sets is probably completely negligible in the overall picture but I wonder if things will change in future. Why bother sending out review sets if sets are flying of the shelves anyway and those buyers are reviewing the sets on youtube or elsewhere too?

It is also interesting that Whitefang has still not done a review of Series 16 CMF on Eurobricks. He usually gets a review up a month or more before they are released but apparently he hasn't received a review set yet due to a "technical fault". I think that this is the first normal release set that he hasn't had first. Now it seems most fans will have complete sets long before he gets his free review box.

Will lego notice any difference in sales this time compared to when they sent out free review sets to him? If not, why bother sending out review sets in future? After all, loads of images, reviews, videos, etc soon appear online when people have bought the items.
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 270
    Still no review on Brickset. Sigh. I give up. 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,578
    Maybe I'm just noticing them more now than in years past, but I have seen more TV ads for LEGO in the last few months than ever before. No actual data, just what I personally have seen.
  • ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57

Did a fun diorama "Costume Party at Disney Estate" with full detailed review of the Disney Castle. Criticism welcomed! 

[url= Disney CINDERELLA CASTLE 71040 |  Awesome Diorama & Ultimate Review ✔[/url] 

1265kiki180703tallblocktoo
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    It stinks that one could buy a Lepin Disney Castle, but in the US it is pretty much impossible to get a Lego version.
    oldtodd33
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    This is being sold at the Wonderful World of Disney store at Disneyland, and annual pass discounts (20%) apply! 
    LEGO_Dad77kiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^Unfortunately I don't have any plans to travel there.  Will they ship?
  • MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 77
    Ma1234 said:
    This is being sold at the Wonderful World of Disney store at Disneyland, and annual pass discounts (20%) apply! 
    Wow :) That is a big discount. :)
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 243
    ^^They DO ship! :D I hadn't thought of buying from the parks! Hmm.....
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33
    Just saw on Facebook LEGO has confirmed there won't be any new stock before Christmas. https://www.facebook.com/LEGO/posts/10153981940048403
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    timt said:
    Just saw on Facebook LEGO has confirmed there won't be any new stock before Christmas. https://www.facebook.com/LEGO/posts/10153981940048403
    that's not what they said...

"this item will be in and out of stock both on the web and in LEGO brand retail stores for the remainder of 2016."
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33
    dougts said:
    timt said:
    that's not what they said...

"this item will be in and out of stock both on the web and in LEGO brand retail stores for the remainder of 2016."
    Ok weird, they previously stated it out be out of stock for the remainder of 2016 and deleted that comment.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 486
    timt said:
    Well, hopefully it will be back in stock for the double VIP points promotion starting in October. I wonder if there is a way to order it then and just get it shipped when its back in stock to get the points?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    mustang69 said:
    timt said:
    Well, hopefully it will be back in stock for the double VIP points promotion starting in October. I wonder if there is a way to order it then and just get it shipped when its back in stock to get the points?
    it's weird, sometimes their site lets you do this, sometimes it doesn't.  I find it really annoying.  As long as you tell me it's backordered and will ship at some later date, let me decide and place an order if I want to.
    mustang69
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    ^Unfortunately I don't have any plans to travel there.  Will they ship?

World of Disney will ship, but the discount only applies in-person and if you have an annual pass (and 20% only for the top level pass; 10% for lower level).