Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Modifying an Original

Lego34sLego34s Member Posts: 36
Good evening all, as you can tell I'm quite new to this forum business.... but wanted to see (apologies if its been done many times before) about the merits and acceptability of modifying a lego design.... For me almost every model I buy and build I think to myself well why didn't they use a ....... and having a decent amount of spares I quite often change the design, or just a colour. In some cases it may be to make it look more like the original (or larger version in the case of a lot of Star wars sets) others to make something that just seems to fit better. It almost certainly what some of the designers may be thinking (but they have piece counts or budgets to hit). So how many of you modify and to what extent.......

Comments

• Lego34sLego34s Member Posts: 36
    The one I always remember is 

9484-1: Red's Water Rescue

For whatever reason they decided on "Big Red" to use a LBG brick piece to attach the wing mirror. Again I know why.... that piece is not available in Red..... but it is available if you make the brick by using 3 plates..... and this way as I discovered you can use those plates in any order to raise or lower the wing mirror by one plate.... which is in fact where it should be to line up with the windscreen. Remove 2 pieces add 6 smaller pieces... job done.....AND its all in Red..... "Big Red"
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,520
    @drdavewatford @CapnRex101 @Huw don't think this belongs in charity section ;)
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I'll bite. I definitely modify if I think of something I like better. 
    For example, I changed many things about the (infamous) Market Street, adding windows to the back, tweaking the facade, and changing the way the balconies were set up to more closely match the techniques used in Town Hall and to make it a more attractive building on the whole.

Also, every time a set has a spiral staircase that isn't anchored so that it stays in one place, I definitely change that to anchor it. ... this only seems to happen in Elves and Disney sets.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 886
    Have to bear in mind most of the time (if not all the time) there will be some specific pieces in specific colours in an official set purely because TLG wanted to clear the stock, and not because it was by design.

For me, I do modify some of my models at my own discretion, sometimes I also swap out certain parts that I need as long as they're out of view in the official model.
    catwrangler
  • DontcopythatfloppyDontcopythatfloppy 'MuricaMember Posts: 43
    There are definitely instances where changing the set is completely acceptable. A recent example I just ran into is the LBG 2x2 brick in Captain Stacy's speedboat in the new set 76059-1. The problem isn't actually the brick itself, but the fact that it has both a control panel and a raised steering wheel on it (the steering wheel is in front of the panel, but it would be bad either way), making it impossible for Stacy to reach both at the same time (or even steer while sitting down). I replaced it with a 1x2 brick I placed the control panel on behind the steering wheel (now on the ground) so he can actually steer. 

I really hope anything I just said made sense.
  • DontcopythatfloppyDontcopythatfloppy 'MuricaMember Posts: 43
    @Lego34s Looking at the art on the Brickset page, the bigger issue seems to be the blatantly obvious yellow plate sticking out right behind the wheel housing that ruins the entire color scheme in that area. At least LBG doesn't have such a garish contrast.

Do you know [email protected] i cant rememeber if i changed that bit... it was a long time ago... must have.....

And yes surely anyone (ive never driven / piloted/ rode a speedboat) would know you cant reach over a steering wheeel that high to press a button.

@whoever.... thankyou for moving it im new and i did notice id posted in Charity but couldnt see how to move.
    Did anyone buy the lords of the rings set  79005:  The Wizard Battle. I was very dissapointed with the LBG plate floor on what clearly was a black tile affair. Price points etc but mine is about twice the size with black tiles.....
    My ultimate mod, which a few people did before and may have since is approx 90% of the parts changed for 75104-1: Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle. Which having bought before the Film was released only to find its not DBG at all but clearly Black i started by trying to buy a few wings/ plates in black to disguise the fact it was black...  but ended up with me buying enough parts to make the original and as much as possible in Black for a 2nd ship..... which i then modified to make the wings tilt.
    I suppose its about creativity... some people are creative some not, I cant remember the last time I made anything from scratch, some people do every day. I have lots of MOC's or in my case SEC's (someone elses creation) I have used to start one. I just copy something, either another persons, a physical thing i have photos of, or make a new version of an old one. (I have a Poe's Black and Orange Microfighter) but colour subbing the original and a Robins "Batmobile" again colour subs (and based on the Batman Lego game) I have no creativity, more modivity. I do like to reverse engineer.
    catwranglerLittleLorikiki180703
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    I have recently been through this also, I decided to change the wheel arches and wheels from grey to white on #4432

However, although I think it looks nicer, I am fighting the urge to change it back! 

catwranglerkiki180703MooreFXOmastar
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 672
    Keep it. The white looks way better!
    OrmskirkBrickskiki180703
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I tend to display sets to the original design. Having said that, I do add stands, and that can involve removing parts on the underside occasionally (#75031 for example). I also had to add two plates to #10240 at the back of it's stand because TLG hadn't given it quite enough support.
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 196
    For some reason I find myself tinkering with Batmobiles a lot - #76045 got very heavily reworked to be more screen accurate (and fit subwoofers into the interior, because); #76035 got its front end rebuilt to sink the 'turbine' in further back like the Michael Keaton version; #76001, in addition to turning black, got practically taken apart entirely and put back together different.  Odd that the same doesn't happen with, say, Star Wars, where I've rarely done more than leave off the long-tailed spring missiles to feel like the sets are as 'accurate' as I want - maybe having Lucasfilm (or whoever from Disney does it now) breathing down Lego's necks keeps the design team from skewing too far towards play over looks, whereas WB's not too fussed.  Although having said that, I just a few minutes ago took screenshots to guide a heavy rebuild of the Star Scavenger's rear end.
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 243
    ^I tinkered with that Batmobile too. :) 

Still need to recess the turbine though, but lost interest for the time being. XD My Falcon got a little more accurate, and I adopted a couple sections from the current versions...

Plus I sturdied-up the underside a bit so it wouldn't try to fall apart during every move.

A few other mods for accuracy and personal taste... Metal Beard is as screen-accurate as possible with the pieces I had on-hand as well as from a small PaB order, also took the hooks off of the Scooby-Doo plane, made Kanan's Speeder MUCH smaller while keeping the basic aesthetic, and added/rearranged a few pieces on the original AT-AT to make it even BETTER in my opinion. :D
    TheMaker37SprinkleOtterbobabricksOmastarkiki180703TheBigLegoskiMooreFX
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 468
    After i got #10212 and seeing a post of someone smoothing off the last visible studs i did that change, too. Usually someone else's change inspires me to fix a issue
    MooreFXkiki180703
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    When I completed #75105 I realised there is no where to store all the minifigure weapons if they are sitting in the various spots around the falcon. So I built a weapon rack and moved around all the small filler parts in the back corner near the ramp to fit it in.
    Now my MF can play Holochess without pointing weapons at each other.
    Yodalicious
    MissKittyFantastico and @legodad77 the Batmobiles.... I tend to swap out anything LBG or DBG and in the case of a certain Jokerland set Yellow (I mean how easy would you be spotted with Yellow wheels). 
    LEGO_Dad77
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 243
    @Recce, fantastic job with that!
    @Recce, fantastic job with that!
    Thanks! I bought some PAB grey plates beforehand so decided to attempt the MOC without any detailed planning. 

Luckily everything works out ok. 
    LEGO_Dad77
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,042
    I'm always tweaking things to try & make them look better. Part-swapping, colour changes (#60053 looks much better as a white car with red stripes)
    My police are driving around in something closer to a Merc AMG rather than their boxy saloon car.
    The last little tweak I did was on #60113 (Rally Car) - I removed the overly large rear spoiler & lengthened the cockpit a touch. Now it looks like a very hot hatch
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    Is there a term for this? Or is it just still "MOC"? In other words, (yeah I'm new to this at 49!) how much "Own Creation" needs to be imbued into the piece for it to be an MOC, rather than something modified? And if a modified set isn't called an MOC, what is it called?

Well, this AFOLs GTG, KIT... LOL...
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    edited September 2016
    ^ MOD (as in short for modification)?

I think that's the term they use over on Eurobricks...
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    Interesting, I'd nominate calling it a MAO. Pronounced like Wow with an M. :)
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,370
    I also call them MODs. I've replaced quite a few silly colour choices in my daughter's Friends sets, for example... Combined 2 Emma's Houses to an Emma's Mansion, too. Also modded my Palace cinema to be on a 48x48 baseplate instead of 32x32, and likely some other mods I don't immediately recall.

Oddly, I've had a small President Business period between DA and "recently" where I thought things should be exactly as they are (minus the Kragle), but I've luckily moved on :D
    A simple modification would be to just add another level to an existing model, in this case a Creator 3-in-1 building.

TheMaker37catwrangler
    ^ MOD (as in short for modification)?

I think that's the term they use over on Eurobricks...
    I wonder is there an official term for models which were built either with instructions bought, freely downloaded or reverse engineered from pictures on the net? 

Calling it MOC doesn't sound right since it is created by someone else, maybe can call SEC - Someone Else's Creation?

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,846