Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Just back into Lego and going all in! Collecting Modulars: hobby or obsession

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,758
    ^ I would sell and buy. I see a used Cafe Corner on Bricklink starting at $600 and goimg up from there, while new sealed starts at $1,600. On the ones still available from LEGO, I wouldn't bother- keep the new and build them when possible.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Each to their own I was just curious!  Your comment made me laugh though re "I often find them mixed, flushed, swallowed or given away to the neighbours".   Happy to say I don't need to deal with those issues any longer as much as I enjoyed having little ones. However I missed out on many of those very collectable ones as a result.  Just wasn't into Lego at the time. 
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95
    It's all good I'll figure it out. In all honesty, to have to "search" (if you know what I mean) for a mini fig head that was swallowed made me realize it wasn't the right time to have them out, age wise. Thank goodness for bricklink and the fact that once it was found I could just chuck it. 
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439

Rsa33 said:
    There are some great MOCd interiors for cafe corner, which were lucky enough to be shared with lxf files by their creators. 

Does anyone have or know any for green grocer 2nd/3rd floors?

Thinking about open the Big Bang Theory and move them into the Green Grocer 2nd or 3rd level

mampepinryjaySumoLegostlux
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @jpcz No recycling then? I've had to look for batteries in the past.  Not the most pleasant but thankful for the patient when you find them. 
    jpcz
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,905
    bsiu922 said:
    Thinking about open the Big Bang Theory and move them into the Green Grocer 2nd or 3rd level
    I was planning on doing that with the Pet Shop.  Post some photos if you end up doing that!
    Pitfall69stluxkiki180703
    SumoLego said:
    bsiu922 said:
    I was planning on doing that with the Pet Shop.  Post some photos if you end up doing that!
    Pet Shop may be a little small,  i built a bed,  a desk and some cabinets above the pet shop!

stluxkiki180703
    ^  Frankly, I think you'd be nuts to open it. 
    SprinkleOtterSeanTheCollectorkiki180703MynattPitfall69
    bsiu922 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Pet Shop may be a little small,  i built a bed,  a desk and some cabinets above the pet shop!

Even taking the entire floor?  Hmmm...
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited July 2016

So I just received a sealed copy of Green Grocer!
    You know it's possible (and actually quite easy) to remove and replace the seals? And of course, if somebody does it, there's a pretty good chance that nobody will open the box to find out - at least for a while.

I wonder if I will have the courage to open this copy.... What do you think?? Keep sealed??
    If you don't open it, you'll never know whether you really have a complete set of modulars or just a box containing a bunch of Mega Bloks. Or worse.

:-)
    Jern92kiki180703
  • thomaspp13thomaspp13 miami, flMember Posts: 29
    SumoLego said:
    ^  Frankly, I think you'd be nuts to open it. 

I hear you! BUT how can I have a city without a green grocer!

A thought it to go off and buy a used second copy....

TigerMoth said:

So I just received a sealed copy of Green Grocer!
    You know it's possible (and actually quite easy) to remove and replace the seals? And of course, if somebody does it, there's a pretty good chance that nobody will open the box to find out - at least for a while.

I wonder if I will have the courage to open this copy.... What do you think?? Keep sealed??
    If you don't open it, you'll never know whether you really have a complete set of modulars or just a box containing a bunch of Mega Bloks. Or worse.

:-)

Thanks for torturing this pour soul :)

Fairly certain this set is 100% sealed and legit... I know my source well enough.

When I set out to collect all modulars, my goal was to have 100% complete sets of all 11. I could not find a used GG that was complete and that I was happy with.... I'm going to finish the other 4 and take it from tthere!

thomaspp13 said:

Just teasing. There's also a way round it.

You can use a boroscope / endoscope / snake camera to make sure. You can't really get one in through the narrow edges of the box, but you can in the long gap between the seals. Then just go hunting for the important bits.
    TigerMoth said:
    thomaspp13 said:

Just teasing. There's also a way round it.

You can use a boroscope / endoscope / snake camera to make sure. You can't really get one in through the narrow edges of the box, but you can in the long gap between the seals. Then just go hunting for the important bits.

haha... sophisticated espionage on my lego set...

The real test will come when I'm done with the 10 modular and I have them all laid out in the city. Missing that 1 will be brutal!

• ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

Hello, I’m new here and I’ve just re-discovered LEGO and it has hit me like a ton of bricks! (literally! Rolf). Thought I’d share a story about my crazy last few weeks. While on paternity leave for our first baby I decided to buy a Lego set and build. The set was Parisian Restaurant #10243. I built it in 3 days taking my time and enjoying it with my wife, and I loved it. Reconnecting with the bricks was just awesome and triggered a ton of childhood memories.

I've been known to be rather compulsive when it comes to collecting, so of course soon enough my goal became to collect all Lego Modulars in mint condition with box and instructions and keep the budget at $3,500-5,000 (yes, I'm one of the crazy guys who is eyeing all the overpriced sets on ebay and that are made fun of here! rolf....).

The Modulars seemed perfect for me. I have limited time with a crazy schedule which makes MOCs difficult for me to indulge in. My wife also enjoyed the Modular theme and series so that was a huge plus! Next thing you know, I went on a buying spree and picked up Grand Emporium #10211, Palace Cinema #10232 and Pet Shop #10218 on Amazon.

A few days later, I discover bricklink (things have changed a lot in this hobby from 25 years ago!). I discover that retired sets are expensive! I go off any buy Café Corner #10182 (My favorite thus far!), Fire Brigade #10197 and Detective’s Office #10246. Next few days…. I hunt and find Brick Bank and Town Hall … bargain a bit here and there… count my pennies and it’s done! Pull the trigger on it.

So in just less than a few weeks I’ve gone mad and bought 9 of 11 modulars! I’m down to Market Street #10190 and Green Grocer #10185.  And I’m on track for staying under budget. I’ve been busy at work and have only had time to build Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema Grand Emporium.

I will have plenty of time in the next moths to build though as the closet is filling up with lego boxes..... I will update this thread!

PS: Finding this forum and reading about other Lego nuts is comforting!

Best

Umm... with the older ones, you could of just gotten the LEPIN knockoffs and saved a ton of money
    thomaspp13 For green grocer, I would encourage you to open it. You DO NOT want to get started down the road of keeping extra sealed copies in the closet. 

Trust me, I've been there. 

Open it, enjoy it. 
    Thanks my friend! This is the way I am leaning.

Hello, I’m new here and I’ve just re-discovered LEGO and it has hit me like a ton of bricks! (literally! Rolf). Thought I’d share a story about my crazy last few weeks. While on paternity leave for our first baby I decided to buy a Lego set and build. The set was Parisian Restaurant #10243. I built it in 3 days taking my time and enjoying it with my wife, and I loved it. Reconnecting with the bricks was just awesome and triggered a ton of childhood memories.

I've been known to be rather compulsive when it comes to collecting, so of course soon enough my goal became to collect all Lego Modulars in mint condition with box and instructions and keep the budget at $3,500-5,000 (yes, I'm one of the crazy guys who is eyeing all the overpriced sets on ebay and that are made fun of here! rolf....).

The Modulars seemed perfect for me. I have limited time with a crazy schedule which makes MOCs difficult for me to indulge in. My wife also enjoyed the Modular theme and series so that was a huge plus! Next thing you know, I went on a buying spree and picked up Grand Emporium #10211, Palace Cinema #10232 and Pet Shop #10218 on Amazon.

A few days later, I discover bricklink (things have changed a lot in this hobby from 25 years ago!). I discover that retired sets are expensive! I go off any buy Café Corner #10182 (My favorite thus far!), Fire Brigade #10197 and Detective’s Office #10246. Next few days…. I hunt and find Brick Bank and Town Hall … bargain a bit here and there… count my pennies and it’s done! Pull the trigger on it.

So in just less than a few weeks I’ve gone mad and bought 9 of 11 modulars! I’m down to Market Street #10190 and Green Grocer #10185.  And I’m on track for staying under budget. I’ve been busy at work and have only had time to build Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema Grand Emporium.

I will have plenty of time in the next moths to build though as the closet is filling up with lego boxes..... I will update this thread!

PS: Finding this forum and reading about other Lego nuts is comforting!

Best

Umm... with the older ones, you could of just gotten the LEPIN knockoffs and saved a ton of money

NO WAY! Not the same; won't.

Any inparticular reason why not? It may be knock offs but according to AFOLS of FB + CB, its very close to lego quality. Even former purists love it.
    SumoLego said:
    bsiu922 said:
    SumoLego said:

Even taking the entire floor?  Hmmm...
    on the top level,  haven't thought about 2nd level

I think from a purely financing standpoint, selling a NISB GG would get you a used GG and four other new modulars.

If your aim is to open and enjoy the sets but you also have no issue with re-assembling a previous built set - be patient and find a used set.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I know some that like that "new car smell" but I have had just as much enjoyment building used sets. Once built it's the exact same! Actually, used ones are more of a challenge because it's usually a big bag of parts so you get more sorting and searching fun.
    stluxkiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,485
    edited July 2016
    ACWWGal2011 said:
    Umm... with the older ones, you could of just gotten the LEPIN knockoffs and saved a ton of money.

Any inparticular reason why not? It may be knock offs but according to AFOLS of FB + CB, its very close to lego quality. Even former purists love it.

The AFOLs you speak of must not be AFOLs. You must be talking about AFOGPs.
    gmonkey76Bumblepantsnatro220kiki180703Pitfall69
    ACWWGal2011 said:

Somebody get the bell, book and candle.
    SprinkleOtterTheOriginalSimonBAllBrickkiki180703
    edited July 2016
    AllBrick said:
    ACWWGal2011 said:
    Umm... with the older ones, you could of just gotten the LEPIN knockoffs and saved a ton of money.

The AFOLs you speak of must not be AFOLs. You must be talking about AFOGPs
    GP?

And what's with the "Bell, book, and candle" Bit?
    Jern92kiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,771
    ^Bell, Book, and Candle is a title of a movie about witchcraft.
    Pitfall69
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,703
    They are the standard props for an exorcism. 
    Pitfall69
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,485
    edited July 2016
    @ACWWGal2011 - Adult Fans Of Great Pretenders.
    Pitfall69
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
     or maybe Adult Fan of Lousy, Onerous, Commercially Ripped-off Artificial Pieces = AFOLOCRAP?
    AllBrickFollowsCloselynatro220BrickDancergmonkey76DevastatorOmastarkiki180703Pitfall69
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,196
    AllBrick said:
    ACWWGal2011 said:

The AFOLs you speak of must not be AFOLs. You must be talking about AFOGPs.
    Anyone else look at this image and think "Ow! Dislocated shoulder!"?
    AllBrickTheOriginalSimonBcatwranglerMegtheCatsnowhitieOmastarkiki180703Pitfall69
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208
    ^ Nope, just really poorly made torso.
    Pitfall69
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208
    Why did you buy it?

If to build, open it and build it.

If to sell, then sell it now, or keep it for later.

SumoLegokiki180703Pitfall69
    ^ Or a combination of both.  Or neither.
    MattsWhatkiki180703Pitfall69
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Once you finish building them all, do you plan to do any MOC modulars?  I'm currently working on a police precinct, and a transit center.  And I'm turning my Ninjago temple into a corner sushi modular restaurant.
    stluxsnowhitieOmastarkiki180703
    natro220 said:
    Once you finish building them all, do you plan to do any MOC modulars?  I'm currently working on a police precinct, and a transit center.  And I'm turning my Ninjago temple into a corner sushi modular restaurant.

Nice! Yes, I would like to build at least a couple of MOC modular buildings, including our "residence" in the city with a rooftop pool and gym. I am planning on MOCs rather than upgrading or adding onto the Lego modulars; just feels right.
    stluxkiki180703
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    edited August 2016
    To expand your city, consider multiple pet shops, the two separate building allow for a lot of flexibility, you can build a row of townhouses (some mirrored if wanted) and moc the pet shop in all other kind of shops spread in your town.
    To add more color variety, it is quite cheap to substitute for the sand blue of the pet shop with white, a bit more pricey but LBG, Dark Red, Reddish Brown or Tan are also options.
    ^ I guess you have to be bananas to shop at Market Square.  

And it's nice to see I have the same 'solution' with extra crosswalk plates.
    BumblepantsTheMaker37kiki180703
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I guess you have to be bananas to shop at Market Square.  

And it's nice to see I have the same 'solution' with extra crosswalk plates.

Haha.. Yes, thanks. I imagined it was the day market street made all of its employees wear the banana costume.

Many thanks and be well

SumoLegocatwranglerkiki180703
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

Hey all!

By way of update, last weekend I finally finished the last of the 11 builds (green grocer). So now that I have all 11 modular on display, I can say that the process was a lot of fund and quite rewarding. Now the real fun begins and that's how to display these beasts!

I've just posted a video on youtube showing my current display in case you want to check it out. I've learnt a lot on this forum and many thanks to all you folks for the input. Have a great weekend!

Very nice. Most layouts I see posted are far too busy for my taste, but this looks great. Well done. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,196
    Nice little video - paints a very effective picture of life in your city. Needs more superheroes smashing the place up (not really). I like the helicopters and I'm interested in what you will do with that other space - something to give your city some vertical expansion (like you did with the hotel) would be perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    MaffyD said:
    Nice little video - paints a very effective picture of life in your city. Needs more superheroes smashing the place up (not really). I like the helicopters and I'm interested in what you will do with that other space - something to give your city some vertical expansion (like you did with the hotel) would be perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    Many thanks. No superheroes yet!
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 512
    Attractive layout--your park is a lovely touch! Also nice to see the helicopters have a place to touch down. The parachuter may be hoping that a hospital is the next modular!
    TheMaker37kiki180703wardm
  • rbozarthrbozarth TexasMember Posts: 92
    It looks good but I think I'd try and find a color to replace the mustard in the awning that better matches the sand blue in contrast.
    tallblocktoo
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    edited September 2016
    Not sure where to post this, but seeing as this is an active thread about Modulars, here goes:

I am hoping to sell all my Modulars. All have been opened and built, 100% complete, and I've kept all the boxes and instructions (except for Market Street). Ive done pretty well to keep them out of any direct sunlight and away from little hands, pets or smoke of any kind.

The only thing is, I'd prefer to trade in person, as I'm a little weary of selling expensive stuff online through sites like eBay. I live in Bristol and happy to arrange a convenient place to meet.

Oh, the ones I have are Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, FireStation, Grand Emporium, Fire Station, Pet-Shop, Town Hall and Palace Cinema.

Not in a hurry, so please PM me. And if this post is better suited elsewhere, please move it Mods - thanks!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    natro220 said:
    Are you going to put your PP right next to the sushi restaurant? ;)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446

wardm said:
    Just finished bricklinking my Green Grocer in sand blue. Used a lot of parts from the pet shop building and payed around 100€ to get the other parts needed, it's not perfect but I really like the looks of it! 
    What do you guys think? Things I should change? (i'm obviously not a purist) 
    That looks really good.
    SumoLegowardmTheMaker37kiki180703Legogrambandit778stlux