Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Instruction book organization

jakesmomjakesmom Western PaMember Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Collecting
Help! We now have a laundry basket full of instruction books and can never find what we need, how do you store all those manuals?? Thanks!!

Comments

• DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I have them in plastic pockets (if that's the right english word for it?), in binders. I have 12 of them now, sorted in themes. Works perfectly for me!
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 192
    I use the same binder+pocket system, sorted numerically rather than by theme.
    Actually, I do have one theme in separate binders, Star Wars.
    For the books that don't fit in pockets, I use foolscap boxfiles.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    Same here. Manuals go in plastic page protectors which are then placed in three ring binders. We do ours by theme as well.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    same here, big folders with plastic pocket...by theme and by numbers inside the theme. Have a special ones for modulars houses and bigger sets (10xxx)
  • jakesmomjakesmom Western PaMember Posts: 3
    thanks I can't believe I didn't think of that!! I am off to the office supply store!! Thanks to all of you!!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I use display books, like this one, except 100 page versions instead of 20 page. I store these in a4 footprint 1foot high boxes, stacked (any bigger and theyre too heavy)
  • Stu83Stu83 Member Posts: 9
    Stackable filing boxes (not box files...), sorted by theme.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 553
    I use a set of Sterilite drawers and sort by theme. I'm planning on changing this to more of a filing system next year. I'll use the plastic pocket for the larger instructions and baseball card sheets for the smaller.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I use a clearfile book for my sons' sets, but find the instructions all slide around, especially the small ones. I'm thinking of finding a better system, so I'll keep my eye on this thread. I use a concertina file case for my own, but not sure how well that would work for my son.
    I forgot to add that the reason I use display books instead of the 'pockets' with punched holes is that I found the weight of the books tore the holes, whereas the display book pages are fixed from top to bottom and very strong.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 687
    3-ring binders, in plastic page protectors sorted by theme, in numerical order. I have 19 binders so far...

Also, our local office supply stores sell plastic sleeve protectors with 3-4 small pockets rather than one large 8.5x11 pocket; these are perfect for the smaller instruction books like 6801, etc. (They are marketed as photo pages)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited February 2012
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK

Those display books seem to be intended for basic sheets of paper or photos, thus I can't imagine there's a ton of a extra space in the binding to accommodate thick pages of instruction booklets. Is this not the case? Does it look nice when you have a book that's filled up, or are the pages wanting to bust out of there?
    @Odindusk - yes, you have to leave some of them empty, I tend to fill up the first half and leave the second half. Looks fine to me!
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Oh ok then. That's kind of what I figured. I ask because I can only find books like that with 25 pages in them around here. So if I'm only filling up half the pages, then that means I'd have to buy several display books to house my collection. Seems like a lot of lost value to me.

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I said above I've been using a clearfile book for my sons' collection - I've recently changed to a concertina file case, which I find works a lot better. Easy separation between themes and the small booklets don't flop around like in the clearfiles.
    ^^ yes, theyre hard to come by but try ebay e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=100 display book&clk_rvr_id=314643822164