Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[UK] The Great Western Brick Show 2016

LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
edited August 2016 in Community and Events
It's that time of year again, when AFOLs converge on Swindon for the GWBS at the Museum of the Great Western Railway, commonly referred to as STEAM. 

The event is usually held the first weekend in October which means that this year it is on Sat 1st and Sun 2nd October,  just a month from now! 

I'll be there again (subject to model acceptance ;-) with my Disney models that I first exhibited at Bricktastic in Manchester, and all being well there will also be a small Disney themed collaborative display featuring models by me and some other Brickset members!  

It's always a highlight of the LEGO year for me, a great chance to catch up with friends and talk to knowledgeable members of the public about all things LEGO. Plus there's a Cadbury outlet shop across the road in the mall :-P

So who else is going? You've got a month to clear your calendar of everything else that weekend so that you can attend! 

Hope to see lots of Bricksetters there! (I'll try to remember my name badge this time). 

GothamConstructionCoTheBrickLaddLegopantsmessyPeteMkiki180703AnonymousMinifigsMe

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Me!
    LostInTranslationLegopantsTheBrickLaddkiki180703
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I'll be there with mosaic and Tombola fun :-)
    LostInTranslationLegopantsTheBrickLaddkiki180703
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,968
    edited August 2016
    Me too (on Sunday)!!! :-)
    LostInTranslationTheBrickLaddkiki180703
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 83
    Hotel already booked.  I'll be there on the Saturday.
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    Yep, I'll be there. My local show and can't wait!

I hear a Robot Wars style event is going on and will hopefully catch some of that in between managing my stand, helping FAB-BRICKS and catching up with everyone! 
    LostInTranslationLegopantskiki180703Lego_Star
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I've been looking forward to this all summer. See you guys first thing Saturday!
  • DroneDrone U.KMember Posts: 193
    I'll be there too. Be rude not too as its five minutes down the road.
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 238
    I will be attending again, this is always an awesome show and with Lego robots set to maximum destruction it will be even better!
    LostInTranslationLegopantskiki180703
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    @paul_merton - I really hope so! 
    Come and say hello to me so I know you have had an incident-free visit! 
    paul_mertonkiki180703
    I'll be there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see more than two displays and not have to leave in an ambulance this time :)

I didn't go last year and missed out on all the fun ;-D
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    The @TheBrickLadd is correct. Robots are currently being built and trained throughout the country. This isn't your virtual reality Pokemon carry on, this shit is about to get real ;-)

It's great for people to take part in things like this, of course they can't win and will have to kneel to the superiority of the Bearded Avenger! ;-)

Prepare to meet thy doom, also known as Matilda. Bwahahahaha!
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 394
    Hopefully visiting on the Sunday, highlight of the Lego year! :)
    I definitely have to make time during the show days to go and watch the Robot Wars. It's going to be truly epic, methinks! 
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 452
    I shall be there both days helping the hairy Fairy, unless the robots get me first!!
    LostInTranslationLegopantsminifignick
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    I'll be displaying there too, subject to acceptance.

I've also built a robot. Unfortunately I can't put any name stickers on it, as it's only 3 grams under the weight limit, and stickers would put it over!

I've decided to call it 'Happy Robot', for ironic reasons. :)
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    If I can make it, I'll try...
  • LegoFan1970LegoFan1970 Member Posts: 76
    Huw will you be doing badges for Brickset members as per previous years ?
    LostInTranslationSpeedman29Legopantskiki180703
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I'll be there on the Saturday, having missed last year's am really looking forward to it!
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 480
    Sunday :)

Looks like there'll be a good Brickset representation :-) 
    We'll definitely need some name badges doing @Huw
    Legopantskiki180703
    I'm afraid due to time and the cost of travel and entry amounting to half of a modular, I'm afraid I won't be going. I'll instead be spending the money (as well as what i would be spending),on bricklink order(s), eBay auctions and  the marketplace on the forum.

But have fun the rest of you!
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,196
    This will be my third year running, just an hour down the M4 for me. First year as a semi regular poster on here so I'm hoping to actually meet some fellow Bricksetters. I saw @Huw last year, but didn't pluck up the courage to actually say hello!

Whats with the name badges thing as well?
    Lego_StarLegopantsLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • minifignickminifignick UKMember Posts: 107
    I'll be there on the Saturday Just printed my ticket out and it's number 1 so glad to see the posts above knowing I won't be alone :) As always it will be nice to meet Bricksetters old and new :)
    Lego_StarTheBrickLaddLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • jon_kjon_k UKMember Posts: 224
    having missed last year , I will be going this and I am hoping that there might be some vintage lego for sale 
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Didn't realise it was coming up so quickly! Not sure if I'll be there or not this year, been a funny old year for me but would love a weekend off in good old Swindon.... 
    DroneLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,179
    Won't be able to go to Swindon. Can I ask if anybody knows how much tickets for the bricklive that will be in London at the excel centre are. I can't find the actual prices on the website. Thanks. (I  can't find anywhere on the forum that might have this info). 
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    edited September 2016
    @bookmum There isn't a Brick Event in London this year, only Birmingham and I think the tickets are £20 + Booking fee. There are various promotions running if you check the Facebook page.
    MattDawsonkiki180703
    edited September 2016
    Also I'm volunteering at Brick it so depending on what day you wanted I could give you a ticket...
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,179
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering why I hadn't seen London advertised yet.! I probably won't get to brum either. It's the train tickets price that all adds up. Oh well. 
  • LegoFan1970LegoFan1970 Member Posts: 76

Got my ticket (no 91)

• Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 210
    I'll be there on the Saturday. I missed the Manchester Fairy Bricks show earlier in the year, so not had a show fix this year yet.
  • mklegomklego Member Posts: 95
    Does anyone know if any of the "Ideas" guys are going to be there this year, thinking Thomas Poulsom or Peter Reid?
    Pretty sure Pete Reid and Carl Greatrix will both be there @mklego
    mklegokiki180703
  • thedaveyboythedaveyboy Hampshire UKMember Posts: 55
    I'm coming on Saturday.  I will be the one chasing a hyperactive 3 year old around trying to stop him touching all the models!
    LostInTranslationminifignickkiki180703stlux
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 194
    I'll be there on Saturday. Really looking forward to the Caterham display! Was going to wait for double points before getting it but might just have to get it on the day.
    LostInTranslationminifignickkiki180703
  • DroneDrone U.KMember Posts: 193
    Tickets all printed out. I've managed to injure my hip so if you see a member of the ministry of funny walks, that's me!
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 376
    I just decided I will be there on Sunday! anyone want to chat? although brining wife and my daughter (had to compromise somehow :) ) Anybody wants to swap some sets or something?
    LegopantsLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    I 'm going to be there on Saturday. First time going to this particular event so I'm hoping it'll be good, not so busy that all available space is rammed with people, and hoping I won't have to queue for too long at the ticket stand. Shame there's no name badges this year to identify Bricksetters (unless I've missed something!) so I might not recognise very many people and might be a little shy as a result. But if anybody recognises me, you're more than welcome to say hi to me and start conversation! :o)
    LostInTranslationLegoboyLego_StarTechnicNickTheBrickLaddkiki180703
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    Looks like I'll be there tomorrow as well. Going for opening time. Haven't been for a couple of years so looking forward to it, especially as there is no Brick London this year.
    LostInTranslationLegoboykiki180703
    I'm on the train to Swindon without my granny trolley for once!
    Currently enjoying a Sainsbury's sarnie and some pickled onion Monster Munch :-) 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    ^ Dislike for not being Roast Beef flavour.

I'll be there tomorrow, I'll say hi to anyone I recognise!
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    Just arrived in Swindon and I can't wait to be at GWBS tomorrow! So good to put faces to the names on here.
    LostInTranslation
    Now in deepest darkest Northants waiting for a Chicken Tikka Massala to heat up in the oven - I'm ruddy starving!  

Very much looking forward to a nice long mooch around the show on Sunday and bumping into one or two Bricksetters :-) 
    Dronekiki180703LostInTranslation
  • minifignickminifignick UKMember Posts: 107
    Currently creating a name badge for tomorrow I'm sure you will know it's me when you see it ! Looking forward to meeting up with everyone :)

LostInTranslation
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    I'm the one with the huge train station, just behind the mosaic. Come say hi! :)
    TheBrickLaddkiki180703LostInTranslation
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 238
    I'm going for the whole weekend this year, I'm really looking forward to it as I know it will be full of great builds and lovely people!
    I will wear my name badge from last year, see you all soon!   
    Legopantskiki180703LostInTranslation
    I'll be next to the Fairy Bricks crew with my Disney models, quite near to @Paperballpark
    I've forgotten a badge as usual but hope to see lots of Bricksetters as they go and try their luck on the FB tombola - guaranteed a prize every time! 
    LegopantsAnonymouskiki180703