Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10254 Winter Train

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    edited August 2016
    Do Lego only produce Curved Tracks. There everywhere 
    It seems that way. It seems that way. It seems that way ;)
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    I was gonna laugh and make a joke about this... 

...but then I remembered the four-stud-wide tracks ;_;
    catwranglerbobabricksgmonkey76
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    Pitfall69 said:
    Operating the train is possible without the IR and remote, but how are you going to stop it when you are done? It runs at a pretty good clip if you do not have a bunch of cars slowing it down. 

Good point!

If you don't mind non-LEGO bricks, you could use these:
    Executive Building Brick Set Chrome
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/15b7/?srp=6

I guess you can always use used batteries with low charge :-)
    Pitfall69
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 781
    @MattDawson I originally put a link of the images of the train but wasn't sure if it was official so I quickly took it down.  So for the blank post.
    MattDawson
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm liking this WV Train less and less the more I look at it. It's just so little train that we're getting.

And I agree with @Pitfall69, this makes the Constitution look like a grand bargain for the same RRP.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Pitfall69 said:

I agree, but I do not think they were going for realism here, especially with only a $100 USD price point. I get why they included track, but...I have so much track now I don't know what to do with it and I definitely don't need more curved track. This train makes TLR Constitution Chase train look good ;)
    Good points, but it's just way below the bar I had in my mind.  I just think they tried so damn hard to stay below the $99 point that it really hurt the overall set.  Totally agree about the track.  More curved is the absolute last kind of track I need to.  Had they not included that, they could have done more on the set, or at least given us something other than completely vanilla minifigs.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 549
    prevere said:
    They should have included a micro Death Star as a toy on the train.
    They did, it's wrapped in the 2x2 blue and yellow package!
    catwranglerprevere
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Eh... Not feeling it as much since the reveal. Toy Shop - Post Office were great, but the theme started going down hill after that. 

Still, with the right promo I may get this bc I've been wanting an Xmas train. 
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I feel like adhering to price points has been negatively affecting set design for the past couple years. If they had increased the price and/or left out the track, then that would keep more casual buyers from actually buying the set.  As it is, there is definitely room for improvement, especially the track.  This must have been the price and build/track which they felt would sell the best. 
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,038
    I still think it's a nice set and can't wait for it to be released. It will run around my Christmas tree nicely.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    So it was Ok with them to rehash a 6-year old set last year ( #10199 ), but not a 10-year old set ( #10173 ) this year; isn't that lovely?!

Anyway, I am still getting #10254, but it's going to look silly running around my Christmas tree:

MattDawsonkiki180703mr.piggleskhmellymelMattsWhat
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 309
    Same as road junctions every other plate

I'm sadly not convinced looking closely as it now. It's clunky and messy looking to me. I think we might try and be brave and make our own
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,390
    JooTog said:
    So it was Ok with them to rehash a 6-year old set last year ( #10199 ), but not a 10-year old set ( #10173 ) this year; isn't that lovely?!
    The only reason they rehashed #10199 last year was because if they hadn't, there wouldn't have been a WV set. I heard that their designers were so stretched last year that there simply wasn't anyone with enough time to design a new set, so rather than not have a WV set at all (which there would probably have been an uproar about), they rehashed #10199.
    MattDawsonkiki180703catwrangler
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    i ve seen the designer video and i dislike it even more!
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 667
    This will be my first train and I'll likely get it with double points. I would like to add another passenger carriage and maybe get rid of the tree. Also, why does a toy train need a .... toy train? I wonder how its appearance will change with power functions added. I'd like to run it around my tree but then I will also have to buy extra track. Setting this thing up won't be cheap. I bought #60050 for some reason without even owning a train so I will look to convert it to a winter theme.

I agree that the designer video could have been a little more enthusiastic.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    i may use a 9v motor instead
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    ^That might cause a bit of an issue becauae the 9V motor sits higher than the current power functions motor. 
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    edited August 2016
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^That might cause a bit of an issue becauae the 9V motor sits higher than the current power functions motor. 
    Doesn't look that way to me. 9V motor from the World City #4512 Cargo Train on the right, the PF motor from City #60052 Cargo train on the left. Only discernable difference between them aside from the obvious and the cable, is the mounting spigot, which has some protruding raised bits around the base to ease friction on the train base plate. 
    stluxmadforLEGOoldtodd33
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    ^ Brilliant!
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 365
    @Mouseketeer I really like your additions. Would you mind sharing the LDD file (if that is what you used)?
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    well thanks to this news i am thinking of picking up 2x #60051 and combining them. to make a 5 car train. (if i can get it for under £69 each.)
    this will give me the spare parts to power the christmas set.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 139
    I think it's pretty cool and fits well with the rest of my WV :) Too bad we got no real creator expert train this year though.
    edited August 2016
    I'm working on an LDD variant should I get the set.

4-4-0, PF integrated in a similar fashion to the official Lego model. Emerald Night style front bogie so it should take curves. All official Lego parts will be used, though I'd strongly recommend you use the Brick Trains custom items if you want to best look.
    catwrangler
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    LuLego said:
    Does the Lego calendar reveal when 40223 will be available as I will certainly be buying the winter train but don't want to miss out on this decoration - need to plan this purchase!
    No, but for the past few years Lego has had two free holiday themed sets. The first is traditionally available mid October through early to mid November, and the second is available brick friday weekend. The first set is sometimes available on the tail end of the double VIP promotion, and the second set obviously offered while other brick friday promotions are active.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 893
    Having seen the picture of 40223, I will certainly wait to buy the winter train when this is the 'gift.' Hopefully the winter train won't be out of stock!

I was hoping someone would answer my post so thanks for this @Picopirate
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,639

4-4-0, PF integrated in a similar fashion to the official Lego model. Emerald Night style front bogie so it should take curves. All official Lego parts will be used, though I'd strongly recommend you use the Brick Trains custom items if you want to best look.
    Where do you get that red Christmas track from? :)
    Paperballparkkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    SMC said:

Where do you get that red Christmas track from? :)

There's a dude in Germany selling red track, I've bought special colour parts from him before.
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 221
    Awesome thread, will continue to monitor
    I have designed the boiler/smokebox and I have 'offered' it up to the chassis, but it needs some more work. I'll see if I can complete the loco design tonight. :)
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,342
    Interesting! I'm somewhat tempted to get this one too, though I don't actually have room for it... I decided not to get trains, because if I get this.. I'll want to get the Horizon Express and the Emerald Night and ... hey, at least I still have my #7745 ... :D
    sid3windr said:
    Interesting! I'm somewhat tempted to get this one too, though I don't actually have room for it... I decided not to get trains, because if I get this.. I'll want to get the Horizon Express and the Emerald Night and ... hey, at least I still have my #7745 ... :D
    Emerald Night was released 2009 and discontinued in 2011, and the Horizon Express released in 2012 and discontinued in 2014. And don't even mention the Maersk (2011-12), they're generally going for silly money. If the pattern was correct (9/11/13/...) there would be one released in 2015, but alas there wasn't one.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,267
    Horizon express looked very uninteresting (and incomplete) unless you really look at the box IMO, but still didn't stop people from feeling it need the other loco to the back of it. Maersk train was nice but pricey for what you got IMO. Not sure if LEGO has any good ideas anymore for a detailed train, but keeping it at a more manageable price for their fans.
    The issue with trains is the rather restrictive lego track, combined with PF integration set certain parameters, and the PF integration is partly why - aside from only one carriage and refusal to sell the carriage on it's own separately - the Emerald Night was given such poor reviews. 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    The issue with trains is the rather restrictive lego track, combined with PF integration set certain parameters, and the PF integration is partly why - aside from only one carriage and refusal to sell the carriage on it's own separately - the Emerald Night was given such poor reviews. 
    Some people want to run them; some people don't. Depending on which side of that fence you're on, the lack of track and the lack of extra vehicles might not be seen as a problem.
    Horizon express looked very uninteresting (and incomplete) unless you really look at the box IMO, but still didn't stop people from feeling it need the other loco to the back of it. Maersk train was nice but pricey for what you got IMO. Not sure if LEGO has any good ideas anymore for a detailed train, but keeping it at a more manageable price for their fans.
    Part of that boils down to familiarity and realism. Horizon Express probably works in Western Europe better than anywhere else, simply because the details give the impression, at least, of something familiar. Elsewhere, it doesn't resemble anything and is in what is probably an unusual colour. There's always something that makes most foreign locomotives look wrong.

You can't have a locomotive that's Barbie Pink. Or can you? This is a fairly standard European locomotive, with variants operating in several countries - but one of a small batch that's Barbie Pink:

http://www.forumkolejowe.pl/ilostan/index.php?nav=foto&id=14590
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Pitfall69 said:
    It seems that way. It seems that way. It seems that way ;)
    If you do left-curve, right-curve,left-curve, right-curve and so on then you get almost straight track, and your train does a nice little wiggle as it goes along. My kids seem to prefer the "wobbly track" to the straight sections.

catwranglerMuftak1kiki180703tallblocktoo
    Emerald Night was released 2009 and discontinued in 2011, and the Horizon Express released in 2012 and discontinued in 2014.
    I know.. I'm late to the party. But they are available when you lose the battle with the 50 locks on the wallet ;)

@MattDawson My LDD claims it removed 4 parts that were not placed correctly. Do you happen to have a list of parts we need to add to the set? That way I could order those straight away as well... :) Thanks for your design, I think it looks awesome!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    SumoLego said:

I'm waiting for my UCS Serenity.  Thank you.
    Just watched Serenity for the hundredth time. I'd be all over a UCS Serenity too...figuratively speaking...not literally like Reaver camouflage. ;-)
    SumoLegoTheMaker37Pitfall69pharmjodBumblepantsPeteM
    @sid3windr
    I've re-opened the file and the 4 pieces that are missing, and they were the 'lights' on the tender where the white leaf parts attached. The only reason I kept them were they were in the original set, but 1x1 flat round tiles work a lot better.

As for a parts needed to be added, without the official inventory I wouldn't be able to confirm the requirements. The boiler is all new, the underframe is based around a train motor unit (so you would need to use this to assemble everything from anyway, unless you're good with creating an imitation). 

I would say you'll need the cheese slopes, 1x1 headlight and 1x4 and 1x2 bricks with studs on the side, an extra set of panel pieces, the 1 x 3 x 4 black panel piece in the rear of the tender, all the 'wood' fuel...
    I only just realised there's no real official parts list yet as the set is not out :D Doh. I need a vacation... :D In any case, I'll definitely give this one a go once I get my hands on one!
    Unless you're buying two, you'll also need to buy (and even I missed this major change) 2 more drive wheels...
    Anyone know the approximate dimensions of the track (assuming assembled in a loop)? Thanks
    The overall dimension is 88 studs, around 70cm.
    The overall dimension is 88 studs, around 70cm.
    Is that a total track length of 88 studs?
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,255
    88 x 0.8 cm
    That's not much track to get around a Christmas tree!