Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    The minion is nightmarishly ugly...

Pitfall69SprinkleOtterDontcopythatfloppykiki180703
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 586
    @TigerMoth, yep, regarding the pencil thing, I completely missed some words in your post. I thought you meant pencils WITH the Millenium Falcon logo. Obviously you were drawing parallels between the pencil and the LEGO sets. My bad.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,922
    I love that the two Frozen-branded figs do not even remotely resemble actual Frozen characters.
    SumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,771
    I bought a minion for 58p (iirc) on aliexpress a couple of months back just to see what they are like. The quality is actually not bad (not as good print as the SH or SW ones though) but they just don't work as minifigs.

I also bought an Anna and Elsa and they were dreadful quality. I don't know if it is true of all the fake Friends style figures but the face prints in particular were way off, verging on being scary.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,024
    Pitfall69 said:
    I was wrong, LEPIN isn't all that bad; they adopt poor innocent ABS toys. Reminds me of the Misfit Toys in "Rudolf". Looks like they are all about the safety of children too. They admit they are hiding under the working proceedure ;)
    I'm just really glad you're charging your phone - although considering its 11pm that's not too bad! ;-)
    Pitfall69SprinkleOtterplasmodium
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    It was at 9% when I clicked on this thread and started to read :)
    SprinkleOtterRainstorm26
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,220
    Aanchir said:
    I love that the two Frozen-branded figs do not even remotely resemble actual Frozen characters.
    Black-haired Elsa is beyond strange.
    Jern92SprinkleOtter
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,431
    I was really disappointed this weekend- was over one the Isle of Wight visiting my parents and popped into three different shops where I'd found decent second hand LEGO before and all three had counterfeit superhero figures, two obviously selling them knowing what they were (LEGO compatible signs around them, even using the LEGO logo)

the he one that really annoyed me was a shop called "Collector's Corner" that touted itself as selling rare, collectable items and antiques. As soon as I saw them I stated "Look counterfeit LEGO!" Quite loud and walked straight out. The other two shops were more general second hand shops so I could be a little more forgiving but still felt really disappointed to see fakes so numerous.
    catwrangler
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 792
    I am continually surprised by how many fake minifigs are for sale on Amazon. I do not understand how Amazon or Lego lets them get away with it knowing exactly what it is. The fake ones are among the first things to pop up when one types in "Lego" In the search box. Whenever I'm looking up Lego on Amazon I always have to make sure I click on "Lego" in the filter options, and then of course "Amazon" as the seller to avoid all the dreck that's out there.
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited August 2016
    Minifigs are especially vulnerable as the rare figures have deviated so much from their intrinsic value.

News flash: Pogo has released Mr Gold.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited August 2016
    they say "building blocks" 

its an artform, sort of, like drawing, sketching, playing an instrument or just dance!
    surely great artists like to use great tools. (see professional moc'ers)
    or a dancer like to use dancing shoes

i can imagine some "lego artists" (or aspiring artists) dont quite like the quality of chinese bricks. lack of clutchpower, quality issues, color variants ....
    nhyone said:
    Minifigs are especially vulnerable as the rare figures have deviated so much from their intrinsic value.

In some cases, not just any old Mr Gold, but Mr Gold from Star Wars ...

Mind you, I'll wait until he is 50% off. There seem to be enough sellers at just under £2 that his price will drop.
    SprinkleOtterRainstorm26
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Shib said:
    I was really disappointed this weekend- was over one the Isle of Wight visiting my parents and popped into three different shops where I'd found decent second hand LEGO before and all three had counterfeit superhero figures, two obviously selling them knowing what they were (LEGO compatible signs around them, even using the LEGO logo)

the he one that really annoyed me was a shop called "Collector's Corner" that touted itself as selling rare, collectable items and antiques. As soon as I saw them I stated "Look counterfeit LEGO!" Quite loud and walked straight out. The other two shops were more general second hand shops so I could be a little more forgiving but still felt really disappointed to see fakes so numerous.
    Same problem round our way, except that instead of shops, it's markets and car boot sales - every one that used to have a Lego dealer how has someone flogging rip-off minifigs, often at very cheeky prices...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    CCC said:
    nhyone said:

In some cases, not just any old Mr Gold, but Mr Gold from Star Wars ...

Mind you, I'll wait until he is 50% off. There seem to be enough sellers at just under £2 that his price will drop.
    I think they are getting Mr. Gold and C3-PO mixed...
    catwranglerdougtskiki180703Dontcopythatfloppy
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 622
    Nah, it's legit. You just have to go *really* deep into the expanded universe...
    Muftak1AanchirSumoLegoDontcopythatfloppy
    @shib 1 question:

are you the famous tf2 trader SHIB ?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,431
    @brumey - had to google to find out what you meant, no, no connection there
  • raven1840raven1840 Member Posts: 9
    I've bought a fair amount of Lepin products and the difference is really difficult to spot other than the Lego embossment on the studs. In majority of cases, you'll find Lepin superior to Lego in terms of interbrick grip or clutch. Decool and Bela kits are the same as Lepin in terms of quality. Sluban is as bad as the horror stories.

I received some parts from Lego bricks and pieces service this week and they wouldn't hold together at all if you held them up off a surface. Spoken to Lego customer service and nada, other than thanks for telling us.

The issue you find with buying Lepin is the reseller. Many on Aliexpress don't give a rats ass about the sale and take the complete p*** when it comes to dispatch. You have to allow around 20 days for arrival from when they mark it as dispatched.
    TigerMoth said:
    Business success has nothing to do with innovation. How many very profitable drug companies, or divisions of them, do you think there are that simply make generic medicines - effectively clones?

Come to think of it, that isn't something that people tend to complain about either.
    The innovative pharmaceutical companies (or those big enough to simply buy the innovative companies) such as Pfizer, Sanofi, GSK, MSD are in a different league to the likes of your Dr Reddy/Teva/Accord/Bristol Labs generics companies.

The most innovative companies are almost without exception the most successful ones in their field.

You can make money manufacturing generic drugs, but you can make a hell of a lot more if you are an innovative pharmaceutical company with a healthy portfolio of blockbuster drugs still under patent protection.

The world needs innovation in all fields, without innovation these parasitic clone companies would have nothing to clone. Without patent/copyright protection to protect revenues, the innovators have no incentive to innovate - whether that be drugs companies researching and creating new drugs, car companies creating cars with cleaner emissions, or Lego creating new sets (recent UCS sets excepted).

Lego costs more because TLG need to develop sets, research what the market wants, market hte products it creates and obtain licenses - overheads that the out and out Lepin type clones of current and past sets simply do not have.

Generics pharmaceutical companies are acceptable because they follow the rules - the holder of a pharmaceutical patent has 20 years after filing for a molecule or collection of variants to develop formulae, put the successful ones through 4 stages of of trials, scale up and validate the manufacturing process  and get to market. All that can take between 8 and 12 years of the 20 the company has. After that, the patent expires and the generic companies get a crack at it, and everyone gets access to cheaper drugs. The big Pharma patent holder gets the opportunity to get their invested money back and make some before the generics companies come in with very low up front costs.
    The other point you missed out on is that these clone companies weren't sold the sack of balony called salary pensions. They cost a hell of alot for companies to run. That adds a massive overhead to every company that had employees in the 80s and 90s.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    and another 10XXX down the copypasta......
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94997&st=10025#entry2643886
    this time #10188 ....

raven1840 said:
    I've bought a fair amount of Lepin products and the difference is really difficult to spot other than the Lego embossment on the studs. In majority of cases, you'll find Lepin superior to Lego in terms of interbrick grip or clutch. Decool and Bela kits are the same as Lepin in terms of quality. Sluban is as bad as the horror stories.

I received some parts from Lego bricks and pieces service this week and they wouldn't hold together at all if you held them up off a surface. Spoken to Lego customer service and nada, other than thanks for telling us.

The issue you find with buying Lepin is the reseller. Many on Aliexpress don't give a rats ass about the sale and take the complete p*** when it comes to dispatch. You have to allow around 20 days for arrival from when they mark it as dispatched.
    The reason they take 20 days (sometimes more) is because you are using the very cheap subsidised shipping programme. Quite a few sellers allow you to upgrade to airmail if you want faster delivery. 
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Some Lepin I saw while I was away! ;) 

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Well, even though I enjoy building, I am a collector first and foremost; especially sealed sets. If I really like the set, I will buy one to keep sealed and one to open and build. LEPIN is NOT LEGO, so it doesn't matter to me how close they come to copying LEGO or their quality. 
    xwingpilotShibSumoLegokiki180703FireheartmonkeyhangerDontcopythatfloppyBrickDancer
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    ChanMcL said:

Is that a Bat-Pod on the tip right?
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    What about Dong Man next to the Millennium Falcon?
    plasmodiumkiki180703Pitfall69Bumblepants
    edited August 2016
    ricecake said:
    What about Dong Man next to the Millennium Falcon?
    I can't see him.  Is he in digsuise?
    (Maybe Dong Man is in Switzerland.)
    ricecakeSprinkleOtterkiki180703plasmodium
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 792
    Dong Man is in disguise and currently undercover playing for the Mannshaft soccer club in Germany.
    ricecakeTheOriginalSimonBSprinkleOtterkiki180703catwranglerDontcopythatfloppyBumblepants
    As an aside, the 'S' added to Creator on that Brick Bank is ridiculous.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Is it even in the same font? 
    DontcopythatfloppySumoLego
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    If it is, it's been squished up. A Friday afternoon job on the part of their graphic designer - about 4:55pm Friday afternoon to be precise...
    catwranglerSprinkleOtterDontcopythatfloppy
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited August 2016
    No - the ends are round, not just with rounded corners. But you need a different picture to see that.
    catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,024
    Pitfall69 said:
    It was at 9% when I clicked on this thread and started to read :)
    Like to live dangerously huh? :-)
    SprinkleOtter
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    ChanMcL said:

Is that a Bat-Pod on the tip right?
    Yes it is. 

The reason they take 20 days (sometimes more) is because you are using the very cheap subsidised shipping programme. Quite a few sellers allow you to upgrade to airmail if you want faster delivery. 
    Nope, that's with DHL, the DHL part is as advertised - 3 days. They just take 20 days + to ship the darn things. I've found a way to speed them up a bit, though not by much.

The batpod ranges in price from £10 to £25 depending on the seller. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10188 AliExpress sellers are advertising for £100 is actually the new one. Only way to know is to see if any of them actually check the minifigures in it.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,288

Nothing is safe...
    pharmjod
  • DontcopythatfloppyDontcopythatfloppy 'MuricaMember Posts: 43
    Anyone have a close-up on those Mighty Micros?
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    Are all those photos really necessary ?
    SumoLegostarwars4everBumblepants
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    edited August 2016

Why not? They illustrate the Lepin quality quite nicely, don't they? Ok, not so much the box art, but interesting still.

What I don't understand is why one buys the VW van from Lepin, or the Brick Bank. At least over here they are almost cheaper in original Lego form, and it saves the hassle of long transport times, missing parts, bad reseller service, etc. Plus, as long as it's stuff that is still available from Lego, why buy from Lepin at all?

Oh sorry, just saw you are from Singapore, so these sets might be available from local shops. That is not possible over here. Are sets like the VW van or Brick Bank that much cheaper at local stores in your country? Over here, a Lepin VW van or Brick Bank including postage is almost equal to (and at some resellers more expensive than) actual Lego.

legomentalDontcopythatfloppy
  • ___MIKE______MIKE___ Philippines Member Posts: 13
    Sorry for all of the pics, this was my first post and as this is a knockoff thread thought they were relevant.

you are indeed correct I buy all from local toy shops and I couldn't buy the LEGO camper as it wasn't in the shops.

i paid 16 quid for the camper
    all of the modular ranged from 36-39 quid
    Porsche 55 quid
    SSD 63 quid
    legomentalmonkeyhanger
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 346
    Thanks for the photos it's very interesting to see the quality close up (& it's missing features). If I lived in Singapore and could get the camper van for £16 when it wasn't available otherwise then I would too. Brick linking it is a complete pain and expensive so why not. 

Wow, ok, at those kinds of prices I can see the attraction. Over here, it's only worth it for sets like the old modulars that cost x-times as much on the secondary market.

Funnily enough, I saw a Lepin Brick Bank on ebay yesterday that would have cost me about 180 Euro including postage - versus 150 Euro for the original Lego version.

Brick linking it is a complete pain and expensive so why not. 
    But why bricklink the campervan? It's available at retail on Amazon, Lego [email protected] and almost everywhere else, locally sometimes even at a sizeable discount.

SprinkleOtter

Why not? They illustrate the Lepin quality quite nicely, don't they? Ok, not so much the box art, but interesting still.

It is not so much that there are there, but the resolution and the number of them means this page of the thread is almost dead to people on a slow connection or a mobile.
    SprinkleOtter
    omg. a lepin emerald night! i m shocked!
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 346
    But why bricklink the campervan? It's available at retail on Amazon, Lego [email protected] and almost everywhere else, locally sometimes even at a sizeable discount.

Because he clearly says it wasnt available. And at £16 a lego version is going to be much more posted. How much would postage from [email protected] be to Singapore for example. Probably not worth it if you aren't a brick perfectionist. I can see the attraction if you live somewhere where good copies are easy to come by 
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    CCC said:

It is not so much that there are there, but the resolution and the number of them means this page of the thread is almost dead to people on a slow connection or a mobile.

I wish there were a way to switch off downloading embedded images whilst on a mobile connection :(
    stluxSprinkleOtter

Because he clearly says it wasnt available. And at £16 a lego version is going to be much more posted. How much would postage from [email protected] be to Singapore for example. Probably not worth it if you aren't a brick perfectionist. I can see the attraction if you live somewhere where good copies are easy to come by 

Perhaps that is one reason why Lepin et. al. are so agressive at putting out new (and old) Lego sets at such a pace. They know the Asian market, possibly a bit overlooked (?) currently by Lego, will absorb the clone sets very easily.
    mmozzano said:

I wish there were a way to switch off downloading embedded images whilst on a mobile connection :(
    You might well find that you can.

Way back, when the dinosaurs ruled the Earth, browsers had a switch to disable the loading of images. With faster connections, the switch disappeared, but in many browsers, the functionality is still there. It was just that enabling it was a pain without some sort of add-on. The snag there was that many of those didn't work on Android, and people got used to working without them.

We've moved on since then. It largely depends on what browser you use. Chrome is probably the most obvious choice, but I don't use Chrome. Firefox actually lets you do it (that bit does work), and there are add-ons that are supposed to enable or disable it more easily (I don't know about them; they're on the "to do" list).

Seek and you might find. You might have to switch browsers.

The worst bit is when somebody posts a number of high-resolution photographs (way bigger than anybody can sensibly use without zooming a lot), and then half a dozen other people include the whole post, including the photographs, in quotes.
    catwrangler
    AustinPowers said:

Perhaps that is one reason why Lepin et. al. are so agressive at putting out new (and old) Lego sets at such a pace. They know the Asian market, possibly a bit overlooked (?) currently by Lego, will absorb the clone sets very easily.
    They also know that TLG is intending to try changing that. By swamping the market with the back-catalogue, they are trying to undermine their plans - but it might be a case of now or never. Brand loyalty works both ways - if you've several LEPIN modulars (and "several" presumably means you are happy with them), then you're unlikely to switch brands to something much more expensive, particularly if the difference is negligible.