Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    Planning permission received for the new house, including a 15.8m2 Lego Room. Will finally be able to display a decent city.
    LegoboycatwranglerJELJ1SlegomentalAll_That_Rockstallblocktookiki180703AllBricksnowhitie
  • JELJ1SJELJ1S Member Posts: 94
    @mattdawson @geordiepaul @sumolego The plan for the door is a secret Bookcase door!!  so it will be a type of "secret lair" kind of place!! 
    catwranglerMattDawsonBumblepantsFarmer_Johnkiki180703AllBrick
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Okay, I now have an official "only regret" about the place we bought a couple of years ago - lack of opportunities for a secret door! :D
    JELJ1Skrklintkiki180703AllBrick
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 680
    JELJ1S said:
    @mattdawson @geordiepaul @sumolego The plan for the door is a secret Bookcase door!!  so it will be a type of "secret lair" kind of place!! 
    All he needs is a pool of sharks with "lasers"...
    chrisalddingmonkey76JELJ1Skiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    JELJ1S said:
    This means, of course, that you will have to show us pictures when it is done.

And, also, that dozens of contractors around the world will suddenly be getting requests for installing "secret bookcase doors."
    JELJ1Scatwranglerkiki180703AllBrick
    No secret door nor sharks with lasers planned for my Lego Room. Door will be locked though when kids are visiting; supervised access only!
    josekalelkiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    stlux said:
    No secret door nor sharks with lasers planned for my Lego Room. Door will be locked though when kids are visiting; supervised access only!
    so, you will be installing a keypad, using a 10 digit code with palm and retinal scanner's, for a full 3 levels of safety.

josekalelstluxAllBrick
    @sprinkleotter For sure!!  I will definitely post photos once It gets along!  I have just finished baseboards.  Will need to get closet doors and storage room doors next.  then carpet.  The bookcase door is in design phase at this point.  still trying to work out the types of hinges to use and all that. 
    SprinkleOtter
    JELJ1S said:
    @sprinkleotter For sure!!  I will definitely post photos once It gets along!  I have just finished baseboards.  Will need to get closet doors and storage room doors next.  then carpet.  The bookcase door is in design phase at this point.  still trying to work out the types of hinges to use and all that. 
    I think you might want to put the carpet in before the closet doors? Usually seems to go easier for me...
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 309
    JELJ1S said:
    Google viral nova and secret bookcase door. There is a very easy step by step set of instructions. I've used them and even I managed it. 
    JELJ1S said:
    Google viral nova and secret bookcase door. There is a very easy step by step set of instructions. I've used them and even I managed it. 
    Interesting and inventive, but not very secretive.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Thanks for this - just showed it to my partner and he says we can actually use it for the understair cupboard he's renovating! :D 
    legomental

@legomental That is interesting.  that one is way too obvious for my plans.  Im doing something that looks like a built in bookcase.  Google "instructable Hidden bookcase doors to secret lair".  It will be a single instead of a double, but will move similarly.  It will also appear to be floor to ceiling so as not to look like a doorway of any kind. 

catwrangler
    stlux said:
    so, you will be installing a keypad, using a 10 digit code with palm and retinal scanner's, for a full 3 levels of safety.

I like the sound of that; will need to investigate!
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    You should engineer the bookshelf so that tilting one fake book acts as the opening mechanism for the hidden door.
    stluxJELJ1SLEGO_Dad77
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    those of you displaying modulars on top of cabinets:

dont you have issues with dust? 
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 485
    brumey said:
    those of you displaying modulars on top of cabinets:

dont you have issues with dust? 
    Yes

stluxJELJ1SSumoLego
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 244
    JELJ1S said:

@legomental That is interesting.  that one is way too obvious for my plans.  Im doing something that looks like a built in bookcase.  Google "instructable Hidden bookcase doors to secret lair".  It will be a single instead of a double, but will move similarly.  It will also appear to be floor to ceiling so as not to look like a doorway of any kind. 

Be interested to see what you end up with. If we ever move out of rental apartments into an actual house, I'm going for a Mines of Moria door http://imgur.com/gallery/vOnt5
    stluxJELJ1Skiki180703
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    Finally have had time to set up a train for the first time ever! The layout is not the final; I just wanted to get a feel for it and use all the track I had.  I need more track that I know...
    BumblepantscatwranglerMooreFXjosekalelkiki180703tallblocktooAllBrickMattPetersensnowhitie
  • TommyFTommyF northern irelandMember Posts: 29
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I have one wall of a room covered with Ikea Billy Bookcases (+extensions and glass doors). I now have another wall that I can only use at a higher level. I was looking for some display cabinets (preferably with glass doors to keep the dust at bay) Don't really want to go down the route of just using open shelves. Just wondering if there was something else out there. Hope it to hold Lego Castle, Lego Pirates & ships. Any help / advice appreciated ps low cost would be good too
    LEGO_Dad77kiki180703
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 456
    Finally have had time to set up a train for the first time ever! The layout is not the final; I just wanted to get a feel for it and use all the track I had.  I need more track that I know...
    looks like that one dead end track needs a buffer stop for now...
    vwong19
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 464
    @Rsa33 Love the display. I see you have that Sisyphus model. Where do you get directions for it if you don't mind?
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    I just put up random shelves somewhere in my house when I run out of room. It works!
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    @monkey_roo is that a mini tumbler you moc'd into a black one?
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    @GeordiePaul lol, agreed.  I have two other rooms stocked w built models, but I am outta space and have quite a few still in boxes that I can't build: including R2, newer modulars, and customized mocs...

@TheMaker37 found on rebrickable or jk brickworks website...one of my favorite builds ever, truly worth the experience.  Not sure how much it will cost now to bricklink, but I believe it cost me around ~$150 awhile ago.
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 640
    UPDATE: Builders started work on my extension last week. Nothing too exciting yet, just foundations but for anyone interested I've done a couple of Lego Room/Building videos on my youtube channel over at youtube.com/brickarena

Will try and post pics here too as things progress.
    catwranglerAllBrick
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,464
    edited September 2016

@All_That_Rocks. I have an alternative for your plan.
    Lose the Living room and expand your dining /sitting area. When you are not using the expanbdable table for Family gatherings you can move the sofa back for a better view of The Lego Movie. You will probably end up not using the Living room. Unless you plan a lot of formal gatherings?
    Move the bent kitchen sink area, to get better views of your new TV/movie screen and view out of your bifold doors from the expanded sitting area. Remember you only spend 20 minutes at the sink 3 times a day? But spend up to 4 hours a day watching tv/ or The Lego Movie with your kids?

Gain a lego display area and a bigger store room, because you will always have more lego. You can always cut your study off from the Lego Display using a folding room divider?
    josekalelkiki180703
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 640
    Venunder said:

@All_That_Rocks. I have an alternative for your plan.

Thanks for taking the time in redesigning my house. You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it. There are some great ideas there but unfortunately like all things its a compromise that has to be balanced with my ever tolerant wife. 

Don't take too much notice of sink positions or the study layout, thats just what the architect threw in and are all up for change.

Your a little off on my TV consumption though which in probably half your estimate and my kids are all grown up so I can watch the Lego Movie on the Lego room cinema display :)

No matter how much room I have it will no doubt not be enough, but then I do now have three spare bedrooms upstairs :)

SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,777
    edited September 2016
    ^ Great googily moogily.  I thought my 18-foot table was obnoxious.

(Edit - obnoxious in a good way.)
    prevereGothamConstructionCoSprinkleOtterTheMaker37Legogramstluxkiki180703AllBrickGoldchains
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    The little thumbnail images are key. There's a tabletop below you can't see - which is always messy as hell.
    LegoboySumoLegokiki180703
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    edited September 2016
    I printed, cut and taped my own thumbnails from BL, because I wanted them in color. I know there are those really nice formatted ones floating about the forum as well. Each time I'm looking for a part it saves 5-10 seconds.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,402
    Wow...I just noticed that Brickset is removing images from threads after some time period...probably due to space constraints. Does anyone know the magic time period after an image is posted before they Brickset deletes them?
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    prevere said:

Working on updating my Technic parts section. So many new parts...those have to get shoved in bins on the floor. To be fair the left half is Technic, far right starts tires/wheels.

Very nice parts storage system!

Though the OCD in me points to at least 20 drawers that are not fully closed. :)) 
    preverestluxTheMaker37AllBrick
    ^Or that have labels....it's a never-ending siege. I've changed drawers many times based on how much I value time for that part...
    AllBrick
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Some fine looking LEGO rooms here for sure! After moving the collection around through five different rooms and several other areas of the house, it is about settled in one downstairs large hobby room without windows but with a double glass door to a well lit room. It can be tough finding a room that is large enough and has few windows in a home with rooms that have windows on at least two walls. The amount of sunlight striking your LEGO is a critical design factor. Common window blinds with slats often block out little light and have leaks on both sides that can allow a huge amount of light to hit your prized objects. If you store LEGO in transparent containers, this also can be a problem around windows. And of course you have to add enough controlled lighting (to a relatively dark room) to be able to see your LEGO! My LEGO containers (on tall metal rolling shelving) for storage are located in a different room upstairs, so building usually happens upstairs. If there is too much LEGO in one room, it can be overwhelming and hard to take in at one time. In a dream world, it would be cool to have a different room for each theme, wouldn't it!
    AllBrickEverythingIsAwesome
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 339
    Was about to start a new thread, and I was lucky I came upon this one! We have one last unfinished room in our basement that my wife is going to banish me and my collection to.

I plan on doing the framing myself, does anyone have any tips/ideas, or things they wish their Lego rooms had? (e.g. extra 2x4 reinforcement behind sheetrock to anchor shelves to, things like that?)
    SumoLegoClutchPower
    Also, I'm not a MOC guy at all (yet, say my friends who do), I'm more interested in display, and just a little storage for random/extra pieces.

My IKEA shelf is just plain running out of room here:

chrisalddinAddicted2OxygenAllBrickClutchPowerpreverejosekalelMooreFXGoldchainsCosworth3d
    @Farmer_John Do you have any photos of your Lego room (Before/progress/after?) Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm not seeing them on this thread and would love to see what you ended up with. Thanks!
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    well just to show off what i got in one part of my room.

LegogramTyresOFlahertyMooreFXClutchPowerGoldchainsCosworth3d
    I plan on doing the framing myself, does anyone have any tips/ideas, or things they wish their Lego rooms had? (e.g. extra 2x4 reinforcement behind sheetrock to anchor shelves to, things like that?)
    Definitely seal the basement walls and have good ventilation - musty basements make for stinky boxes.
    TyresOFlahertySprinkleOtter
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    I'm thinking of having my basement remodeled. I have a Lego city down there already, as well as one upstairs. Neither are big enough. Plus I need storage space and a work area. I might have my garage removed to open up the entire basement. The city could be 36' X 8'
    @SumoLego Thanks for the advice, from reading this and other posts, looks like I need to invest in an air purifier to cut down on dust, too? I need to strike while the iron is hot, my wife is itching for me to finish this room so I can have all my Lego in one place....total win/win situation here!
    SumoLego
    ^ I have a UV ultraviolet filter in my HVAC system.  Night and day difference in the level of dust in my house.  I thought it was a bunch of malarkey - but I swear by it.

And as an aside, if you plan to heat the basement, make sure your furnace can handle the extra square footage.  And a return register to keep the air circulating.  Most people don't take the extra step to install one.
    catwranglerSprinkleOtterTyresOFlahertyFollowsClosely