Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Speculation on the upcoming Death Star

Comments

• GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 178
    edited August 2016
    ^I think 7142 has it beat.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I saw the images. I suppose one thing that LEGO has that we don't is: DATA. 

Clearly, with this being so similar to the old DS, they are not hoping that those who already have DS will buy the new one. Perhaps this is such a big seller, so consistently, that they didn't want to mess it up. So they made obvious updates (the figs), and that required them to change the model #. 

Does this take the place of a UCS set that would have been released? If so, that is a real shame. Otherwise... the bright side is that for the next 5-10 years, kids will gawk at this in the store, and beg their parents for it. 
    catwrangler
  • worldofpenguinsworldofpenguins USAMember Posts: 13
    I don't understand the pricing.
    Big Ben - half the price and 147 more pieces - ok, not licensed
    Ghostbusters Firehouse - $150 less and 618 more pieces
    Cinderella's Castle - $150 less and 64 more pieces - also Disney
    How does the price match the piece count? It's ridiculous. I guess in 8 years that price will be looking better.
    mustang69
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    I don't understand the pricing.
    Big Ben - half the price and 147 more pieces - ok, not licensed
    Ghostbusters Firehouse - $150 less and 618 more pieces
    Cinderella's Castle - $150 less and 64 more pieces - also Disney
    How does the price match the piece count? It's ridiculous. I guess in 8 years that price will be looking better.
    Big Ben has mainly tiny parts and no minifigs. DS has loads of large pars, and lots of minifigs.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Now that I see the set is exactly the same, I want to see the designer video, just for my own amusement. :)
    LegoboystluxA.BrickovskyprevereBrickDancerred5
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 596
    has anyone spotted any differences in the leaked images? I'm curious to know which small changes they made.. (darth vader's tie looks different and I see the border of palpatine's throne room is different too!)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    Since I doubt investors are gonna fool with this set, I fully expect it to have sales on it eventually. 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    wardm said:
    has anyone spotted any differences in the leaked images? I'm curious to know which small changes they made.. (darth vader's tie looks different and I see the border of palpatine's throne room is different too!)
    Wait, they changed Darth Vader's tie?

gmonkey76Pitfall69BumblepantsDiggydoesstluxDeeC2_Joshkiki180703catwrangler
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,955
    The intent was never to remake. 
    The intent here was a re-release, that way the price could be raised.
    (IMHO)
    dougtskiki180703
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    wardm said:
    Wait, they changed Darth Vader's tie?

Yes. The new one is a bow.

Bricklover18TheLoneTensorgmonkey76stluxGoldchainskiki180703
    What does the Death Star wear to a formal event?

A bow-TIE
    A.Brickovskykiki180703
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    tamamahm said:
    The intent was never to remake. 
    The intent here was a re-release, that way the price could be raised.
    (IMHO)
    Yep. $400 was far too cheap for Lego by their vastly overinflated prices of the last couple years. Easy solution: Slap a new number on it, update the figs, and bump the price 25%
    pharmjodkiki180703TheLoneTensor
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
    edited August 2016
    Well for the record these appear to be some of the changes:

Missle launder across from the trash compacted now uses the new spring loaded launchers instead of the rubber missle.
    New Vaders Tie Fighter.
    Revised colors for the trash compactor.
    The weapon of mass destruction has new peices.
    Some new parts used for the turrets in the back.
    Many more lasers on the box.
    And of course the new figures as well.

I am sure that there is more but that's all the ones I notice immediately.

brickupdatecatwrangler
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Looks like the Tractor Beam Vault Room floor was DBG, but is now black.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,111
    Looks like the Tractor Beam Vault Room floor was DBG, but is now black.
    OH! This changes everything! Back on the buy list!
    MattsWhatkiki180703pharmjodTheLoneTensorkizkizSumoLego
    @ISDAvenger no it was black before, it does seem that we get a dark blue R2 unit at the bottom floor instead of black. The black protocol droid and assassin droid seem to have been replaced with imperial officers which is a shame. I was hoping for an updated version of that protocol droid. :/
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    @ISDAvenger no it was black before, it does seem that we get a dark blue R2 unit at the bottom floor instead of black. The black protocol droid and assassin droid seem to have been replaced with imperial officers which is a shame. I was hoping for an updated version of that protocol droid. :/
    Ah, your right. Guess its been awhile since I looked at it. I have a couple, just unbuilt at the moment. We are getting a blue R2 and I do believe they said we are getting a new Death Star Droid that looks like the one from the movie (bug eyed version).
    Oooo, could that mean a possible 4-LOM in the future?? I'm now intrigued to see the new minifigure line up for this set. I also want to see what parts have been replaced. I know for sure they would replace the tie fighter window in Palpatine's throne room, though the one thing I actually enjoyed about building 10188 was seeing all the old pieces and building techniques. It was truly a nostalgic set that was still on the shelves.
  • ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57
    Its unfortunate that it is basically the same set as before. Whomp Whomp
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 949
    I must be in the minority of those who aren't terribly disappointed. I love my 10188 and I think I'd feel worse if this was just different enough to want, and put me into a dilemma. As it is, I'm content that I don't have to search for another few hundred pounds in the budget, and those who missed out on 10188 have another chance to pick it up.  
    bobabricksPeteMkiki180703dougtstallblocktoostluxJohnyk668catwrangler
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    If it's true could this we the SW Lego set to finally jump the shark? Assult on Hoth has issues, but at least there was an attempt to redesign what was there, to be fair the hanger doors and structure are vastly superior to the 2007 set, but here, nothing, not even a pretence to making an effort.
    if true maybe the issue is one of marketing and expectation, if Lego has simply said this will be a minifigure update and minor tweaks, the set will basically be the same at the same price etc. Then I doubt there would have been much fuss, especially if the new Snowspeeder had arrived this year and the main UCS. I don't know, all seems very slapdash to me
    cheshirecatkiki180703monkeyhanger
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 839
    edited August 2016
    ^ Loved seeing this at STEAM 2 years ago, was a contender for my favourite thing at the show!  My favourite bit isn't shown in the pic above but showed the transformation of the exoskeletons into proper minidoll cyborgs...

I have to say that part of me is a teeny bit disappointed that it's just a re-tread of #10188, but then it really is one of my favourite sets that I own - I know it's not a 'proper' Death Star and just a bunch of vignettes and all that, but I've filled mine with all my my loose Imperial Officers, droids, Stormtroopers and DS troopers and it looks great and certainly attracts attention!  I'm pleased that those who don't have the DS will have the opportunity to have it again :)
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 574
    More importantly can I bricklink the new parts and then sell my #10188 on ebay and charge even more? ;)
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 400
    ecmo47 said:
    I know it all about marketing but it would have been nice if Lego would have just put out a Memo that stated that "The beloved Deathstar Playset is going to go into "drydock" for a much needed "overhaul" and will be back in the Fall of 2016". That would eliminated false expectations for the AFOL community and gin up some excitement in the kid community.   Win-win for all.

Exactly this! ^

False expectations in the AFOL community are entirely down to the rumour-mill.  Lego could have quashed the rumours, but why should they?  I can't understand people getting upset because Lego haven't produced what they (incorrectly) expected.  It's not the end of the world.  Just another set you don't have to buy if you don't want to.
    LostInTranslationwardmcatwrangler
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,532
    edited August 2016
    ecmo47 said:
    I know it all about marketing but it would have been nice if Lego would have just put out a Memo that stated that "The beloved Deathstar Playset is going to go into "drydock" for a much needed "overhaul" and will be back in the Fall of 2016". That would eliminated false expectations for the AFOL community and gin up some excitement in the kid community.   Win-win for all.
    I think you're being overly optimistic there. People would then have been speculating on what the 'overhaul' would look like, and maybe they'll change the play features, or add a surround, or maybe even change the whole thing, and would they make it bigger, or... etc. etc.

And then people would have been just as disappointed when it's revealed.
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    I just can't get over the fact they didn't even add any slopes and tiles to make it smoother. Because not only minifigs in 10188 were outdated...
    It's like they rereleased the 2008 Beetle in Creator line. They didn't - the new Beetle is entirely new, original, modern design. But their bestselling Death Star remains the same for whatever reason... please don't tell me that if they changed the design for a modern one, plus updated minifigs, even if the overall structure remained the same, that it wouldn't sell...
    But their bestselling Death Star remains the same for whatever reason...
    I think you answered your own question ;)
    LostInTranslationLyichirgmonkey76
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    edited August 2016
    This is one of those times where I really would love to know the breakdown on how many of the original DS went to resellers / investors vs the general public. I suspect this is one set where the reseller community had a statistically significant impact on sales. I don't think that will be a problem with the new one. Part of me wants to see this set fail misserably and have to be put on massive discount to move. Of course $400 is still probably the floor for it, which given LEGO did no actual work for this one means they will still make good money. Sigh.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited August 2016
    Mynatt said:
    Well for the record these appear to be some of the changes:

Revised colors for the trash compactor.

Thank GOD they did this.  I can finally sleep at night, and my children now have a brighter world in which to grow up.  Well played Lego!  Bravo.
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    But their bestselling Death Star remains the same for whatever reason...
    I think you answered your own question ;)
    Not really - it can always be more bestselling ;)
    ^ erm, grammatically, no it can't. It's a generic term to denote that something sells very well. Sure it could sell better, but it would still be bestselling.

It's like the old saying - if it ain't broke, why fix it? If LEGO have a design that sells consistently well, then why risk that by changing it too much?
    SprinkleOttertallblocktoo
  • TX_5555TX_5555 TexasMember Posts: 2
    ^ erm, grammatically, no it can't. It's a generic term to denote that something sells very well. Sure it could sell better, but it would still be bestselling.

It's like the old saying - if it ain't broke, why fix it? If LEGO have a design that sells consistently well, then why risk that by changing it too much?
    Maybe Disney was upset that their name was not on the box and this fixes the problem.
    gmonkey76oldtodd33catwrangler
    ^ I was going to add that as a reason, but there have been redesigns of boxes before without changing the set number - see Tower Bridge, Pet Shop and Palace Cinema for examples.
    gmonkey76catwrangler
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    One consolation in this sorry business is the equivalent Death Star thread over on Brickpicker. There is much amusement to be had in reading it.
    maniacpharmjod
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited August 2016
    ^I bet! TLG just basically nuked the Horde like Alderaan with this news.
    I really don't know why Lego made a whole fuss about a new UCS set when really all they are doing is a rerelease. Something like this would have been a bit less misleading for the past few months...

ricecakebandit778kiki180703TheLoneTensorBricklover18
    One consolation in this sorry business is the equivalent Death Star thread over on Brickpicker. There is much amusement to be had in reading it.
    Indeed. It seems one guy has about 60 of #10188...!
    pharmjod
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    ^Every cloud I suppose...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2016
    ^If he opened all of them up, spent 1000 hours of work to create a gigantic Death Star, sell it as an UUCCS Ultimate Ultimate Custom Collector Series model, he'd double his money.
    bobabrickskiki180703eggshencatwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,830
    I really don't know why Lego made a whole fuss about a new UCS set when really all they are doing is a rerelease. Something like this would have been a bit less misleading for the past few months...
    How big a fuss have they really made about it, though? Weren't AFOLs mostly getting hyped about the new Death Star on their own? Mind you, I haven't been following the discussion here, but I don't think LEGO has even put out any official statements about the new Death Star yet.

Of course, once it IS announced, I'm sure they won't promote it any less than they promote any other new UCS set, because even a re-release of an extremely popular set won't achieve the best sales it can without any kind of advertising. But let's not start projecting the excitement we felt when rumors emerged about a new Death Star onto LEGO. They weren't really stoking the fire all that much.

As for the price increase, at least half of that just amounts to inflation. $400 in 2008 is equal to $457 in today's money. I haven't seen a specific piece count for the new death star but I've seen some guesstimates of around 200 more pieces than the old one, which could potentially add another $20. This isn't to say the price is reasonable, but is it really that much LESS reasonable than the price of the old one?

It sort of reminds me of complaints about last year's Millennium Falcon being an overpriced rehash of the previous one, despite having a better price per piece and price per gram than ANY of its similar-sized predecessors after adjusting for inflation. Really, for every set these days that seems unfairly priced, even in the Star Wars theme, there's usually at least one with a value as good or better than similarly priced sets from ten to fifteen years ago.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703LyichirbinaryeyeShibcatwrangler
    The fu$$ $tem$ more from the disappointment of $quandering a wonderful opportunity for advancing the craft of Lego.  Lego ha$ their prioritie$, and they are pur$uing them head on.
    That is kind of the point of a business.... LEGO has been quite good to AFoLs, better than can be expected.

Heck, do you know how many AFoLs were upset when this set retired? Now it is back.
    catwrangler
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Well this makes me even more happy about the £205 I spent on my 10188. I still love it, my son spent 11 days building it and still plays with it regularly. The next ucs set needs to be spectacular, otherwise the line truly ended with the tie fighter.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    eggshen said:
    #75159 The Death Star 2, The Search for More Money
    Stop the thread! We have a winner!
    What's the world coming to when a business actually wants to make MONEY?!

Jeez guys, are you for real? :/
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterkiki180703Stvoyager04GoldchainsSumoLegoSteve_J_OM