Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    and purchased. I'll post a review in a month or so.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,757
    Wonderful. This topic has helped illegal activity. @drdavewatford , can you remove the above link?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Hey, maybe Brickset can get an affiliate link for Alibaba =) 

I kid, I kid. 
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegoPitfall69dougtsOmastarVorpalRyu
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 923
    dougts said:
    Apparently the transaction history is visible with 5 transactions so far (2 from UK, 1 from US, 1 Canada and 1 Korea). 
    Wonderful. This topic has helped illegal activity. @drdavewatford , can you remove the above link?
    Using google to search, just type Lepin 10179 and it's the very first link on the very first page.

In other words, doesn't help much to remove the link as those who know Lepin will find it in less than 5 secs.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 860
    Recce said:
    dougts said:
    Apparently the transaction history is visible with 5 transactions so far (2 from UK, 1 from US, 1 Canada and 1 Korea). 
    Yes, I saw that too. I figured the D. from US was him
    Jern92 said:
    Recce said:
    dougts said:
    Yes, I saw that too. I figured the D. from US was him
    So you adding your name there? :-)
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 860
    Recce said:
    So you adding your name there? :-)
    Haha nope. I've never been interested in Star Wars, plus I have my own local supplier here, who gets me stuff cheaper than the prices on Aliexpress :-P
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 524
    Gotta love the Warning section on the above listing - Warning : Do Not Eat 

:-)
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 524
    dougts said:
    Will you have in in a month? Shipping may take that long but theres no release date - it says pre-sell...
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    ^ It should say "Warning: Do Not Buy".

It says 'STAR WNRS' on the box photos for goodness sake! This discussion kills me :(
    VorpalRyu
    Muftak1 said:
    dougts said:
    Will you have in in a month? Shipping may take that long but theres no release date - it says pre-sell...

hence the "or so"
    Muftak1
    dougts said:
    Muftak1 said:
    dougts said:

hence the "or so"
    Need to read completely before posting... :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332

It says 'STAR WNRS' on the box photos for goodness sake! This discussion kills me :(

Then don't open it?
    Jern92
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 172
    I know I don't want this copycat junk in my collection.  My collection is too valuable to let folks wonder if its real or not.  I've stopped buying loose items, or eBay lots just to make sure that I don't get any fake stuff.  I stopped over a year ago when this all seemed to start getting worse.

Of course that played right into LEGO's hand didn't it......
    SumoLego
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited August 2016
    got my order from ali refused 5 times now. i gave up on ordering the copycat modulars!

and am quite happy with my decision. back to BL'ing a yellow/white/yellowed_white/tan grocer!
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 793
    ^ Why was your order refused? 
    Recce said:

Using google to search, just type Lepin 10179 and it's the very first link on the very first page.

In other words, doesn't help much to remove the link as those who know Lepin will find it in less than 5 secs.
    I meant the post.

Then don't open it?
    And there was me thinking this was a LEGO fan site...
    it is, but discussing clones/competitors seems fair game on a LEGO fan site.plus, its not like the title of this thread is vague in any way...
    cheshirecat
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,944
    ^Well, you say that, but rules used to be much stricter on that. Discussion of clones was strongly discouraged. I personally think it makes sense to discuss opposition (or alternatives if I was to be controversial), but supporting companies that are making money from dubious (to say the least - I might even say parasitic) methods just leaves a bad taste for me.

I guess it depends if you're a fan of the company primarily or the concept (interlocking plastic bricks) more generally.
    VorpalRyu
    In fairness I think lepins clones have more originality than some of Legos recent and upcoming releases.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    ^Well, you say that, but rules used to be much stricter on that. Discussion of clones was strongly discouraged.
    Things have changed a bit. Discussion of clones would probably have involved their original designs; now we're talking about TLG's - and coveted ones at that.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,914

Then don't open it?
    And there was me thinking this was a LEGO fan site...
    Well if you take a look in the market place, there were fan created (a.k.a. fake) versions of the stickers for the Moulding Machines set which sold very quickly. There were not Chinese made, and very little comment about fakes being sold on a Lego fan website. What would have happened if they were coming from a Chinese company?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,076
    The whole thing cheaper than the printed dish and LBG mast pieces on bricklink. If they can make cheese slopes that don't crack then TLG should be very worried.

TLG  seem to be Lepin-ing themselves right now by cloning #10188 and calling it #75159.
    CCC said:

Well if you take a look in the market place, there were fan created (a.k.a. fake) versions of the stickers for the Moulding Machines set which sold very quickly. There were not Chinese made, and very little comment about fakes being sold on a Lego fan website. What would have happened if they were coming from a Chinese company?
    I suspect that might depend on which country you came from yourself.
    @CCC It's an interesting point, but I do see a difference between AFOLs producing stickers so other AFOLs can build LEGO sets with LEGO, and the likes of LEPIN who steal TLG's designs to sell competing sets of inferior quality parts.

To clarify my earlier comment, it's not the discussion itself that I find out of place on a LEGO fan site, it's that there are comments in it from Brickset members advocating buying LEPIN sets.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    flord said:
    ^ Why was your order refused? 
    they always say its illegal to ship to my country! but i got a lot of things in the past from ali! like copycat-baseplates, display-stands, paracords, carabiner, camping stuff, skateboard stuff, stickers ....

To clarify my earlier comment, it's not the discussion itself that I find out of place on a LEGO fan site, it's that there are comments in it from Brickset members advocating buying LEPIN sets.
    Why do you care what someone else buys? How does that affect you ?
    Jern92
    ^ I don't recall saying it did. I'm also not sure what's so controversial about expressing an opinion that advocating buying knock-off Chinese sets seems out of place on a LEGO fan site.
    BrickDancer
    @CCC It's an interesting point, but I do see a difference between AFOLs producing stickers so other AFOLs can build LEGO sets with LEGO, and the likes of LEPIN who steal TLG's designs to sell competing sets of inferior quality parts.

Whether it's AFOL copying the stickers, some other individuals copying the stickers or China company copying the stickers, they're all the same. If they infringe, they all infringe, if they didn't, they all didn't. What makes AFOL any better than others?

By putting AFOL in front automatically makes their actions justifiable? Your logic is flawed.
    ^ You are right of course, but there are differences in terms of intent and scale.
    SprinkleOtter
    edited August 2016
    What about companies run by afols making profit of others IP?
    Yes, there is a difference.

AFOLs copying and selling stickers is illegal; LEPIN copying TLG's sets isn't.
    brumey
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Did someone just say 'Beetlejuice'?
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 587
    TigerMoth said:
    Yes, there is a difference.

AFOLs copying and selling stickers is illegal; LEPIN copying TLG's sets isn't (in China).
    I fixed that for you.
    SprinkleOtterBrickDancer
    eggshen said:

I fixed that for you.
    No you didn't. The letter we've seen is from European Customer Services. Apart from which China is still a signatory to things like the Berne Convention, and whilst they may try and wriggle out of some things, there's a limit to how far they can push that.

Furthermore, if the parts themselves are no longer protected, I can't imagine any basis where supplying a collection of those parts would be illegal anywhere. That is the problem. If anybody is breaking the law, it would be the person who assembles them - and that clearly doesn't work either.

This whole attitude is totally ridiculous. Pointing fingers and saying something is illegal when it isn't doesn't get anybody anywhere. Holding the moral high ground is pointless if somebody else laughing all the way to the bank.

In that regard, TLG are their own worst enemy. They say that they see their biggest potential for expansion as being in Asia and South America. For the former, they are sitting around with their thumbs stuffed firmly where the sun doesn't shine and letting that market walk away from them. THEIR iconic sets are being sold, and they've done nothing. It's not just one or two sets, but virtually everything that has any sort of reputation. And just as people here tend to stay loyal to LEGO as a brand, do you think that's going to be any different where people have started to buy another brand?

So what? Do you really think that the clone brands are going to stop at Asia? Somebody may find technicalities to keep them out of of the US or Europe, but then there'll be somebody else who finds a loophole to get them back in. Do you think those Westerners who declare an interest in LEPIN's sets are really any different from a typical customer looking for a toy? Clones are already available, and people buy them. If good-quality clones are available with good-quality designs, people are going to buy them too.

The weak spot for somebody like LEPIN is that they use TLG's designs. However, if they can use TLG's designs and get away with it, then can do the same with the countless MOCs that are spread liberally around the Internet. Many of them are much better than TLG's designs.

If anybody cares about LEGO as a brand, this needs to be stopped NOW. It should've been stopped yesterday. It should've been stopped a year ago. Making silly quips about the Chinese, or about "junk" or about things being illegal when they're not simply detract from the real problem - that this IS happening. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

TLG are between a rock and a hard place. For years they've fought the clones in the courts. It was probably inevitable that, eventually, they'd find something where this wouldn't work. LEPIN has. The problem for TLG is that the only way they can fight them is to abandon some of their current policies. Prime amongst those is pricing. They have plenty of room to manoeuvre, but all the time good-quality clones undercut them by a significant margin, they're going to lose ground. Clearly, that's not something they'll want to address, but I don't see that they have a choice. Secondly, they need to review the sets they make. If LEPIN are stealing market share in TLG's target markets by selling old LEGO designs, that's what TLG have to do.
    dougtspharmjodOmastar
    edited August 2016
    TigerMoth said:
    eggshen said:

I fixed that for you.
    No you didn't. The letter we've seen is from European Customer Services. Apart from which China is still a signatory to things like the Berne Convention, and whilst they may try and wriggle out of some things, there's a limit to how far they can push that.

Furthermore, if the parts themselves are no longer protected, I can't imagine any basis where supplying a collection of those parts would be illegal anywhere. That is the problem. If anybody is breaking the law, it would be the person who assembles them - and that clearly doesn't work either.

This whole attitude is totally ridiculous. Pointing fingers and saying something is illegal when it isn't doesn't get anybody anywhere. Holding the moral high ground is pointless if somebody else laughing all the way to the bank.

In that regard, TLG are their own worst enemy. They say that they see their biggest potential for expansion as being in Asia and South America. For the former, they are sitting around with their thumbs stuffed firmly where the sun doesn't shine and letting that market walk away from them. THEIR iconic sets are being sold, and they've done nothing. It's not just one or two sets, but virtually everything that has any sort of reputation. And just as people here tend to stay loyal to LEGO as a brand, do you think that's going to be any different where people have started to buy another brand?

So what? Do you really think that the clone brands are going to stop at Asia? Somebody may find technicalities to keep them out of of the US or Europe, but then there'll be somebody else who finds a loophole to get them back in. Do you think those Westerners who declare an interest in LEPIN's sets are really any different from a typical customer looking for a toy? Clones are already available, and people buy them. If good-quality clones are available with good-quality designs, people are going to buy them too.

The weak spot for somebody like LEPIN is that they use TLG's designs. However, if they can use TLG's designs and get away with it, then can do the same with the countless MOCs that are spread liberally around the Internet. Many of them are much better than TLG's designs.

If anybody cares about LEGO as a brand, this needs to be stopped NOW. It should've been stopped yesterday. It should've been stopped a year ago. Making silly quips about the Chinese, or about "junk" or about things being illegal when they're not simply detract from the real problem - that this IS happening. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

TLG are between a rock and a hard place. For years they've fought the clones in the courts. It was probably inevitable that, eventually, they'd find something where this wouldn't work. LEPIN has. The problem for TLG is that the only way they can fight them is to abandon some of their current policies. Prime amongst those is pricing. They have plenty of room to manoeuvre, but all the time good-quality clones undercut them by a significant margin, they're going to lose ground. Clearly, that's not something they'll want to address, but I don't see that they have a choice. Secondly, they need to review the sets they make. If LEPIN are stealing market share in TLG's target markets by selling old LEGO designs, that's what TLG have to do.
    Great big long post that boils down to... He was right, and he did fix it for you.

Also, you keep saying that all of this is our fault, LEGO is making it worse, etc. and never once offering a real solution. It is easy to be a nay-sayer, but much more difficult to be productive.

TLG isn't just going to re-release a couple old sets that have a reputation because they are rare. That would be completely pointless.

What the clone problem boils down to, in essence, is a parasite. They steal from their host to help themselves. Never contributing, never making anything for themselves. They can only live as long as their host is healthy- if they take too much, and their host dies, then so do they. How many years do you think people will want to buy the same Cafe Corners for? Won't they ever want a Brick Bank? But without TLG to do that for Leppin, then it won't happen.
    VorpalRyu
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,924
    edited August 2016
    TigerMoth said:

In that regard, TLG are their own worst enemy. They say that they see their biggest potential for expansion as being in Asia and South America. For the former, they are sitting around with their thumbs stuffed firmly where the sun doesn't shine and letting that market walk away from them. THEIR iconic sets are being sold, and they've done nothing.
    I keep seeing comments like this. What makes you think they've done nothing? For all we know the LEGO Group's legal department could be scrambling to find a way to shut down Lepin without jumping straight into a battle in a Chinese court that could potentially backfire. They could be collecting evidence until they're confident their case is rock-solid, or investigating where the parts are being produced to make sure that if Lepin gets shut down the molds don't simply change hands, or figuring out how to protect their rights to future designs in a complicated legal landscape. Or it could be that their legal department is divided between this and other equally important objectives, such as protecting the rights to LEGO product innovations from other threats, like the fight against mini-doll infringement we saw last year.

Just because we haven't seen any results in the fight against brands like Lepin yet doesn't mean nothing's been happening behind the scenes. It's ridiculous to assume LEGO just doesn't care about knock-offs like this. Do you think their whole legal department just sits in an office all day twiddling their thumbs? I guarantee you they're doing all they can to protect the LEGO Group's intellectual property wherever they feel it's most threatened.
    SprinkleOtterBrickDancerPitfall69dougtsOmastarVorpalRyu
    SprinkleOtter said:

Great big long post that boils down to... He was right, and he did fix it for you.
    Copying a set is unlikely to be illegal anywhere, so adding a country doesn't fix anything.

Clearly you hate LEGO as a brand. You are more interested in trying to make petty points rather than to accept reality and look at the real issues which can only be detrimental to TLG's future.
    Also, you keep saying that all of this is our fault, LEGO is making it worse, etc. and never once offering a real solution. It is easy to be a nay-sayer, but much more difficult to be productive.
    I've offered solutions. I don't have the information to determine whether they're viable.
    They can only live as long as their host is healthy- if they take too much, and their host dies, then so do they. How many years do you think people will want to buy the same Cafe Corners for? Won't they ever want a Brick Bank? But without TLG to do that for Leppin, then it won't happen.
    They can switch hosts. TLG isn't the only designer of sets. It's not even the best one.
    TigerMoth said:
    SprinkleOtter said:

Copying a set is unlikely to be illegal anywhere, so adding a country doesn't fix anything.

Clearly you hate LEGO as a brand. You are more interested in trying to make petty points rather than to accept reality and look at the real issues which can only be detrimental to TLG's future.
    I've offered solutions. I don't have the information to determine whether they're viable.
    They can only live as long as their host is healthy- if they take too much, and their host dies, then so do they. How many years do you think people will want to buy the same Cafe Corners for? Won't they ever want a Brick Bank? But without TLG to do that for Leppin, then it won't happen.
    They can switch hosts. TLG isn't the only designer of sets. It's not even the best one.
    Copying sets isn't illegal? Golly. Then I guess copying, what was it, Game of Thrones books and videos isn't either? There was a great post about that up above.

How is that clear? I can't help but feel that you are resorting to attacks, rather than points.

And yet you have information that allows you to determine what isn't going to work? That's fascinating.

And yet they are the largest, and quite apt to stay that way. And I'm not sure how you can say that they aren't the best- I've seen nothing of interest come out of MBs, Worstlock, etc. Care to enlighten me?
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 587
    Hey @TigerMoth, I'm actually in complete agreement with you. In fact, China does have laws in place that should prevent IP theft, but it still occurs there and other places as well. My previous company was essentially shut down due to an attempt to market in China (and the stubbornness of the owner). Our competitor's started beating us to market with our own products, and the owner decided to bail. Anyhoo, back to LEGO.

You and I had a conversation a few years ago about the "junk" out of China. You were concerned that TLG was going to get blown away by the clones eventually if they didn't do anything about their own quality and pricing. Looks like a number of your predictions are now reality. We have a clone competitor with good enough quality at a much lower price making a lot of the sets that everyone wants. Full points for you on that one, I never thought that a clone brand could match them so closely so quickly. My experience with clone brands in China is that they really didn't care about quality at all, just making a good enough product to sell before they closed the doors and moved their factories to another province.

Lepin's aggressiveness is what really surprises me. I'm thinking that they must know that they have to play the short game before TLG becomes fully functional there. I hope that TLG has a good plan in place and are planning on taking full legal action once their factory opens. I don't know a ton of Chinese law, maybe they will have some type of advantage we don't know about once they are fully in the market. Are there any Chinese law experts on the forum?

It does seem that TLG isn't doing anything now, and it is surprising that Disney hasn't really done anything about it yet (with the Star Wnrs sets). If they don't have a plan, they are sunk if they think that people are just going to fork over more money for "the real thing" just because of their Name. Like you've said, Lepin is the name brand in China that is providing good product at a good price. Why would anyone there change to pay more for essentially the same thing?

That being said, I will always stick to LEGO, no copycat brands allowed in my house.

BTW @TigerMoth, if you happen to go back and look at that conversation you and I had a long time ago, we were having a real miscommunication over the term "clone". When I was using the term "clone", I really meant "copycat". A lot of the dialogue in that conversation was due to my misuse of the term "clone". 

Anyway, hopefully no hard feelings over "fixing" your comment above. The law is a tricky, tangled place that I try to avoid stumbling into, and as far as this particular situation is concerned, a big black box that none of us on the outside (of TLG, Lepin, and Chinese law) can see into.
    pharmjod
    Aanchir said:

What makes you think they've done nothing?
    Sure. What I suppose I should've said is that they've not done enough. That's what happens when people try to divert debates from what are the most significant issues.

When the first LEPIN clone of a classic LEGO set appeared it was fairly obvious that others would follow. Indeed they have, and at fairly astonishing rate. It's even got to the state where people idly speculate on whether LEPIN will manage to produce a set before the original gets to market.

It doesn't actually matter whether "enough" is a lot or a little. I think the cat is out of the bag in Asia, and it's a lot more difficult to get it back in than to keep it there in the first place.
    For all we know the LEGO Group's legal department could be scrambling to find a way to shut down Lepin without jumping straight into a battle in a Chinese court that could potentially backfire.
    I don't think there's a way that this can be fought in court. Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that TLG can be sure of their position either - especially when it comes to Chinese courts. That means they ought to be looking to alternatives. Also, in five years time when a prospective court case is over, there's not going to much of an Asian market left; LEPIN might be forced to change tack but it'll still be their market.
    Or it could be that their legal department is divided between this and other equally important objectives, such as protecting the rights to LEGO product innovations from other threats, like the fight against mini-doll infringement we saw last year.
    A company's legal department isn't really a finite resource - not if the issues are worth contending.
    It's ridiculous to assume LEGO just doesn't care about knock-offs like this.
    I didn't say they don't. I think they care.

Overall, though, I see the same sort of arrogance that was around 15 years ago, not just in their attitude to clones but things like the number of very expensive sets. If you read discussions boards, there's grumbling in the ranks - more than grumbling because there are hardened fans of the brand buying products from competitors.

It seems that TLG is a lumbering giant surrounded by a number of more agile opponents who are just waiting for their opportunity.

If my suspicions are confirmed, then it doesn't bode well; if they aren't, then paying too much attention to issues like this simply won't matter.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,710
    "It is indeed annoying that companies copy our products, but that the quality is not the same and customers are therefor indeed kind of deceived. Other fans have already made us aware of the company LEPIN and we have already passed that on to the relevant department. If those companies would also use our name, it would be easier to close-down those online-shops. But as the company LEPIN sells their products under their own name and therefor doesn't directly use our logo/brand, the legal situation is not as clear."

Apparently the legal team for the LEGO group is less certain of the legality of LEPIN sets than the legal experts on this forum. Disney lawyers also have been conspicuously absent, given the number of Star WNRS sets (and a rodent-infested castle) LEPIN has produced.

The "new" Death Star would seem to indicate that LEGO is willing to re-release a retired set.

Most of the people making references to inferior quality Chinese knockoffs also state that they would never purchase them, indicating that they have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of the product. I don't either, as I have not actually seen them. Online reviews have indicated the quality of bricks to be on par with genuine LEGO, while the minifigures have received less favorable reviews. I have not seen any reports of defective cheese-slopes in LEPIN sets.
    dougts

Most of the people making references to inferior quality Chinese knockoffs also state that they would never purchase them, indicating that they have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of the product. I don't either, as I have not actually seen them. Online reviews have indicated the quality of bricks to be on par with genuine LEGO, while the minifigures have received less favorable reviews. I have not seen any reports of defective cheese-slopes in LEPIN sets.
    There is also almost no press of Lepin parts, a much, much, much smaller test pool, it is already expected of copies... Shall I go on?
    LyichirAanchirOmastar
    Copying sets isn't illegal?
    No. That's LEPIN's loophole.

You can protect a part, but you can't protect a collection of parts that the buyer assembles. They're not ordered or structured or anything. They're just a bag of bits.

And if you could, you just chuck in a handful of other parts.
    I can't help but feel that you are resorting to attacks, rather than points.
    Yep. Because you seemingly refuse to understand the single point above.
    And I'm not sure how you can say that they aren't the best- I've seen nothing of interest come out of MBs, Worstlock, etc. Care to enlighten me?
    The best designs are MOCs. Most could be reproduced. If you don't agree, then you haven't seen enough MOCs.
    eggshen said:

My experience with clone brands in China is that they really didn't care about quality at all, just making a good enough product to sell before they closed the doors and moved their factories to another province.
    I get the impression that some people think the Chinese are stupid and somehow "second class" - an attitude that still persists with some people calling any Chinese clone "poor quality junk". Some may be; some are not - there's even a new term "premium clone". In fact, the Chinese will do whatever is necessary to attain their target. Perhaps that means only doing the minimum to attain that target, but it doesn't matter - it will be reached. If it means improving the quality of their products, then that is what they will do.
    Like you've said, Lepin is the name brand in China that is providing good product at a good price.
    Unfortunately, there are others. LEPIN is just the name we know. Some of those brands are in some ways better than LEPIN, but worse in others. You can be sure they
    they'll be competing amongst themselves to fix that.
    TigerMoth said:
    Copying sets isn't illegal?
    No. That's LEPIN's loophole.

You can protect a part, but you can't protect a collection of parts that the buyer assembles. They're not ordered or structured or anything. They're just a bag of bits.

And if you could, you just chuck in a handful of other parts.
    I can't help but feel that you are resorting to attacks, rather than points.
    Yep. Because you seemingly refuse to understand the single point above.
    And I'm not sure how you can say that they aren't the best- I've seen nothing of interest come out of MBs, Worstlock, etc. Care to enlighten me?
    The best designs are MOCs. Most could be reproduced. If you don't agree, then you haven't seen enough MOCs.
    eggshen said:

My experience with clone brands in China is that they really didn't care about quality at all, just making a good enough product to sell before they closed the doors and moved their factories to another province.
    I get the impression that some people think the Chinese are stupid and somehow "second class" - an attitude that still persists with some people calling any Chinese clone "poor quality junk". Some may be; some are not - there's even a new term "premium clone". In fact, the Chinese will do whatever is necessary to attain their target. Perhaps that means only doing the minimum to attain that target, but it doesn't matter - it will be reached. If it means improving the quality of their products, then that is what they will do.
    Like you've said, Lepin is the name brand in China that is providing good product at a good price.
    Unfortunately, there are others. LEPIN is just the name we know. Some of those brands are in some ways better than LEPIN, but worse in others. You can be sure they
    they'll be competing amongst themselves to fix that.
    Really? Yet I don't see it happening in the USA. Almost as if it weren't legal here. Also, you can't claim that it is just a collection of parts- the box and instructions paint quite a different picture.

Ah, I see. Because I disagree with you, and raise counter-points, you have every justification to attack me rather than actually defend your way for thinking.

Now, you see, that's a false argument, isn't it? I could say, "if you think LEGO isn't doing the right thing, go read more articles on LEGO's legal battles."