Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Speculation on the upcoming Death Star

Comments

• ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Same as the 10188. Very little changes were made.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,318
    First Cap'n Rex tells us that opinions will be divided (Which most likely means it will appeal to some but not others) and now everyone says it's the same as the old one? Come on people, which is it? Or is it both? 
    What? They'll be divided because some people will like that it's a complete rehash of the old one and some will not like it because it's a complete rehash of the old one. Divided.
    CapnRex101kiki180703
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    I bet they changed the price!
    bobabricksBumblepantspharmjodkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    LeonC said:
    I bet they changed the price!
    $100 more for 1000 less pieces sounds about right.
    BumblepantsdougtsLegoboyAdzbadboyMynattmadforLEGOkiki180703
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,279
    I would love a closed DS design as I missed out on #10143. If it's a rehash of #10188 I'll pass as I managed to get that one just before it finally retired. I guess in that case I'll save EUR500. Thanks LEGO?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,115
    German Lego Twitterers @Zusammengebaut tweeted a picture of what could be the new Death Star in the window of a Lego Shop. Looks to be different than the old one at least but could just be a store window custom.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,420
    SumoLego said:
    Perhaps we should all be thankful for the Ewok Village.  One of those crappy, non-UCS playsets...
    I agree. Hopefully they give a Cloud City UCS Playset some love like that soon.
    We should be clamoring for a non-UCS playset.  That'll be the one worth buying.  A UCS Cloud City would probably be the freezing chamber, a jail cell, a cloud car and the obligatory Wompa, tauntaun, Lobot and the guy carrying the coffeepot.

And one Stormtrooper, of course.
    MattsWhatMynattstluxBumblepantsbandit778Goldchainskiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    SumoLego said:

And one Stormtrooper, of course.
    ...In a snowspeeder (shaped more like a helicopter).
    stluxGoldchainskiki180703
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 224
    German Lego Twitterers @Zusammengebaut tweeted a picture of what could be the new Death Star in the window of a Lego Shop. Looks to be different than the old one at least but could just be a store window custom.
    To me at least, that looks 100% exactly like the 10188... 
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 508
    Already have a DS playset. Do not want or need another one. I was hoping for a UCS display set reminiscent of the DS2 USC. 

If this is true then thats 0/2 for Lego on the last few SW UCS sets.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 704
    Why remake the thing you just retired? Where's the logic? Is it just an excuse to up the price?
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    flord said:
    Why remake the thing you just retired? Where's the logic? Is it just an excuse to up the price?
    Disney
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,859
    flord said:
    Disney
    And to really annoy any resellers hoarding #10188.
    SumoLegokiki180703snowhitie
    edited August 2016
    Lego has already shown it will remake the sets it makes a lot of sales on - think helicopter, lighthouse, fire engine etc.  It's reasonable to assume that #10188 was a good seller, why would they not update it?  And why can we blame them if they do?

And of course, when they update they will bring it in line with current price - 8 years is a long time for something to stay the same price - inflation alone would make the cost £350 without any changes.  It was more surprising it lasted as long as it did without a remake and price bump to be honest.
    (Assuming it is just a rehash of course)
    Goldchainskiki180703
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 371
    The Death Star is a dream set for many. Many kids will ask for it, only a few will recieve it. Many AFOLs will desire this set, the lucky ones will have the money and space for it. The original sold well for 8 years, but the minifigs and availble parts have changed over those 8 years. Lego probably thinks that their flagship SW set should have the best possible figures, parts, and techniques in it. They couldn't update those things and keep the same set number. So it's either a new set or nothing(?). The Death Star is a round grey ball. It could be made as a flat playset(like that Kenner one), but then it loses it's immediate recognizability and could be any other space station. So any Death Star model is pretty much going to be a grey ball much like the first two.
       So I'd say the logic is this- Lego wants to sell a Death Star, people want to buy Lego's Death Star. It will be more expensive, but everything costs more money than it did 8 years ago. Some people will be upset it is nearly the same as the old one, many more will not care.
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Tkatt said:
    The Death Star is a dream set for many. Many kids will ask for it, only a few will recieve it. Many AFOLs will desire this set, the lucky ones will have the money and space for it. The original sold well for 8 years, but the minifigs and availble parts have changed over those 8 years. Lego probably thinks that their flagship SW set should have the best possible figures, parts, and techniques in it. They couldn't update those things and keep the same set number. So it's either a new set or nothing(?). The Death Star is a round grey ball. It could be made as a flat playset(like that Kenner one), but then it loses it's immediate recognizability and could be any other space station. So any Death Star model is pretty much going to be a grey ball much like the first two.
       So I'd say the logic is this- Lego wants to sell a Death Star, people want to buy Lego's Death Star. It will be more expensive, but everything costs more money than it did 8 years ago. Some people will be upset it is nearly the same as the old one, many more will not care.
    Agreed. Don't think of 10188 as a retired set. There was simply an hiatus. Repackage and reprice at Disney's behest.
    ^if they are sold separately, how can it be fully functioning?  I reckon the plans instructions show it as non operational but it's a whole different story when your friends are falling into a trap.
    stluxcatwranglerJohnyk668kiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,036
    I may be in a minority but I really hope that it is a newer version of #10188.
    I didn't get back into seriously buying Lego until Feb 2015 and really would have liked to get the Death Star set, but due to my long absence from Lego, I had a bell of a lot tocatch up with, so it came down to choice, buy the Death Star or lots of other sets that were going to disappear.
    For me the choice was easy. Since then I have had the good fortune to be able to build #10143 and
    eggshenkiki180703snowhitie
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 542
    I will most likely get the new DS, but had no interest in #10188. The build is fine but the figures look quite dated. I got into LEGO a couple of years ago and even then they looked dated. I think @Scatterbug has it right, just a repackage/update of a solid set.
    ^ I bet there are far more people out there hoping for a properly new one to add to their collection than a mild rehash of the old one.

Could #75095 Tie Fighter be the last great UCS model? What a disappointing thought.
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • stevecook132stevecook132 Member Posts: 112
    Feeling like I'm caught between a rock and hard place with this DS saga - I felt the price point was OK on the last one (quantity of bricks, features and figs), but turned it down on the grounds that I thought the minifigs were dated. I suspect the new one will fix the minifig problem, but escalate the price to the point where I think its not worth it. Give us five to eight years and I suspect I can go around the loop again...
    I think I ought to be buying EV shortly instead as four play sets in the SW UCS range strikes me as one too many.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
    Could #75095 Tie Fighter be the last great UCS model? What a disappointing thought.
    Well we do still have the UCS Snowspeeder next year, kinda hard to make that into a "UCS Play Set." 

My expectations are set kind of high as the snow speeder is one of my favorite Star Wars ships. Hope it can make up for the assault on hoth, and what it is sounding what might also be the UCS Death Star. But hey, maybe my expectations for the Death Star have been lowered so I will like it more when I see it. 
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 178
    edited August 2016
    Mynatt said:
    Well we do still have the UCS Snowspeeder next year, kinda hard to make that into a "UCS Play Set."
    It's actually just 75049 with a Wampa, if the recent trend is anything to go by.
    Mynattmonkeyhangergmonkey76SumoLegokiki180703
  • Dtrimpi87Dtrimpi87 San DiegoMember Posts: 56
    Gremer said:
    Mynatt said:
    It's actually just 75049 with a Wampa, if the recent trend is anything to go by.
    It's UCS though so it will have a modular Wampa cave and Tauntaun as well.
    Gremerkiki180703
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 542
    ^ I bet there are far more people out there hoping for a properly new one to add to their collection than a mild rehash of the old one.

Collectors? Yes, there are a lot of collectors that want a new, different one. People? No. There are tons of people that will want the new one. 

I work at a toy store part time, we sell a TON of firestations and police stations. The reason why is that there are always new LEGO fans coming into the hobby. Those new fans bring their parents long for the ride. 

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that bought #10188 do not hang out on this site. I would bet they might not even know we exist. The same will be true with the new DS.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,036
    edited August 2016
    ^Plus the fact that it's going to feature in an upcoming film to a new set of Star Wars fans riding the wave from TFA.
    eggshen said:

Collectors? Yes, there are a lot of collectors that want a new, different one. People? No. There are tons of people that will want the new one. 

I work at a toy store part time, we sell a TON of firestations and police stations. The reason why is that there are always new LEGO fans coming into the hobby. Those new fans bring their parents long for the ride. 

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that bought #10188 do not hang out on this site. I would bet they might not even know we exist. The same will be true with the new DS.
    There are tons of people that already had the recently retired one, 8 years worth of sales to anyone and everyone who wanted one. If the new one is almost the same, but with a big price hike, those who already have a 10188 will almost certainly not be buying it, which is plenty of lost sales from a bunch of people that are already people who are confirmed Lego big spenders. I'm sure there's plenty of people who saw the old one, liked the look of it but decided it was too much money on one set. Along comes the new one, looking the same, but 20% more expensive - those same people are even less likely to buy it. I hope these recent rumours are wrong.

If the next UCS set wasn't going to be a Snowspeeder, i'd be all over bricklinking that Technic based Moc with the moving flaps.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,513
    edited August 2016
    I think the main difference though is if this really is nearly #10188 but with newer figures then it will also likely be out for another 8 years, which means LEGO is into it for the long haul and the numbers of those with the old one vs those that want the newer one will start to shift more toward those wanting the newer one as there will be more fans of LEGO coming into their own that will not lament getting it cheaper 10 years earlier.
    bandit778 said:
    ^Plus the fact that it's going to feature in an upcoming film to a new set of Star Wars fans riding the wave from TFA.
    For that exact reason, surely there's got to be some Rogue One related Diaramas in the new set to make it look a little different than the old one?
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    I think LEGO has made an error by allowing such anticipation to grow as anyone who owns #10188 is liable to be very disappointed.
    kezCM4SSumoLegokiki180703
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    natro220 said:
    You guys are missing the obvious reason for the remake - the new one will be a "fully functional" Death Star, complete with planet destroying Power Functions (sold separately of course).

Wife: OMG honey!!! The neighbors house is completely gone! There is just a smoldering hole in the ground! What the hell happened?!?!

CircleK: I... I ummm... I don't know anything about that. Just.. Just keep the kids away from my Lego Death Star for now. OK? 
    natro220kezcatwranglerbandit778stluxkiki180703khmellymel
  • farnoldfarnold Mount Vernon INMember Posts: 5
    How long do you think till it is revealed CaptRex/Chris, Were all dying! Every day I Check and its not there, a little bit of me dies. Pretty soon I'll be just be a little shriveled up mummy. ;)  
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,115

I am guessing similar to the old one with modern slope and angle bricks smoothing out the frame where the old one was blocky

als-1971kiki180703
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I think LEGO has made an error by allowing such anticipation to grow as anyone who owns #10188 is liable to be very disappointed.
    I interpret this to mean that #75159 is so superior to #10188 that owners of that set will look at it and think "it's pointless owning the old one now".

And I interpret this to mean that #75159 is so inferior to #10188 that owners of that set will look at the new one and think "there no point upgrading to that load of ****".
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    @mountebank - I took the comment to mean more of the latter.  Or CapnRex is trying to just mess with us.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    @farnold - I don't know but I would guess that it must be revealed by the end of next week at the very latest.

Lots of people have assumed that the set is going to be more akin to #10143 Death Star II and those people are going to be disappointed. #75159 is an impressive set in my opinion but so was #10188.
    farnoldkiki180703snowhitie
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I do hope not. On the off-chance that it is, I hope they release the UCS Snowspeeder before they retire the Tie Fighter and Slave 1 so I can still get my UCS fix if the Snowspeeder turns out to be an Assault on Hoth.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    From the sound of it, there will be a few references to the WV Toy Shop in the discussion following the reveal.
    dougtsLegoboyCircleKBrickDancerAdzbadboykiki180703
    OMG, a WV Death Star!
    CM4SBumblepantsAdzbadboyKevin_Hyattkiki180703
    @farnold - I don't know but I would guess that it must be revealed by the end of next week at the very latest.

Lots of people have assumed that the set is going to be more akin to #10143 Death Star II and those people are going to be disappointed. #75159 is an impressive set in my opinion but so was #10188.
    Hopefully both impressive and different enough to warrant owning and displaying both - I get the impression that this won't be the case though.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,318

Hopefully both impressive and different enough to warrant owning and displaying both - I get the impression that this won't be the case though.
    It is literally 10188 with a few color swaps. 
  • worldofpenguinsworldofpenguins USAMember Posts: 13
    edited August 2016
    I would totally buy a WV Death Star.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Fast forward to Christmas 2016

What they didn't show was when he finds out it is the same as the previous one ;)
    Legoboybandit778stluxkiki180703
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 596
    I would buy a UCS star wars holiday special with sound bricks!
    JooTogBumblepantscatwranglerkiki180703
    wardm said:
    Please stop...
    bobabricksSprinkleOtterwardmkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    edited August 2016
    Pitfall69 said:
    wardm said:
    Please stop...

You of all shouldn't be telling people when they are crossing the line, ha ha.
    CM4SPitfall69Bumblepantswardmkiki180703
    Pitfall69 said:
    wardm said:
    Please stop...

You of all shouldn't be telling people when they are crossing the line, ha ha.
    ...but...but....It's the "Holiday Special" :0
    bobabricksgmonkey76wardmkiki180703