Collecting Architecture Sets

moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
Anyone else out there collect Architecture as their primary interest in Lego?  I have 15 and hope to collect every one although I know that may not be possible.  Missed out on some great sets while I was in my Dark Ages.

Comments

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    Not collecting these myself (there's only so many themes one can collect) but think most of these look great.
    Looking at BL gathering them all seems possible as retired sets are prices at a premium but within reach (Marina Bay Sands being the exception).
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    I have a few of those as they are good display pieces for my office desk (currently have the 3 skyline sets)

@henrysunset is the LEGO Architecture guru around here and wrote books about if I am not mistaken. Check out his posts/threads.
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    edited August 2016
    Before I started selling off my collection last September, I did own all of the architecture sets (up to 21024, the Louvre), including Marina Bay Sands and the two early BrickStructure sets (19710 and 19720).  I also had all of the larger advanced model architectural sets (Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, Sydney Opera House).  It's what got me out of my dark ages.  I eventually expanded into all of the modulars and all of the creator houses.  Not so many left now...

http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-ToddMyers
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/21131/selling-off-my-collection-southwest-ohio-usa#latest

Still my favorite theme!

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I like them, but I am trying to limit myself to only getting the ones of places that I have actually been.
    Yodaliciouscatwrangler77ncaachampsMaffyD
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ricecake said:
    I like them, but I am trying to limit myself to only getting the ones of places that I have actually been.
    This is exactly what I do. If I've been there, I get it. 
    77ncaachamps
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Same here. Except I'm having the issue of possibly going to Italy soon for honeymoon, but the Tower of Pisa is already EOL.
    77ncaachampsYodalicious
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    edited August 2016
    I collect the theme but I somehow managed to miss a few.
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 71
    ricecake said:
    I do the same.  I set them up next to a photo of me next to the structure or at least one I took while I was there.  Surprisingly, I have been to quite a few, almost half of the sets I've been to.  
    ricecakekiki180703stluxYodalicious
  • moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
    edited August 2016
    legoleppy said:
    ricecake said:
    I do the same.  I set them up next to a photo of me next to the structure or at least one I took while I was there.  Surprisingly, I have been to quite a few, almost half of the sets I've been to.  
    I wish I could say the same.  I've never been a die hard fan of real world architecture in general, but I went to DC last summer, and in October, I bought 21022. It brought me out of the dark ages. Of the 15 Architecture sets I have, I have been to exactly two. I'm visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend and I'll be going up the Willis Tower...so that will make three! I will also be visiting the Chicago Museum of Science+Industry and they have the Brick by Brick exhibit going on.  It features constructions by Lego Certified Professional Adam Reed Tucker. Hopefully they will have some Lego sets at the gift shop. I guess I am collecting sets in hopes to visit their real word counterparts one day. Until then, I will just keep on enjoying the hobby. Who knows where it will take me :)
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 229
    I also collect this theme. I have all official releases except for Marina Bay Sands - maybe some day. They are all good given the number of parts. The skyline series has been my favorite of late.

@legoleppy great idea of putting a picture next to the model. 
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    edited August 2016

At the beginning I wasn't a fan of the Architecture series. Too expensive, and many structures to my eye just didn't look good enough for me to justify getting them.

But I am a big architecture fan per se, so my interest in the series never completely went away. One day I saw 21031 at a sizeable discount and got it as an impulse buy. Since then I have added a few others to my collection (21011, 21017, 21020, 21023) with a yet some others still in mind (21005, 21010, 21028, 21030).

So while I wouldn't say I collect the series, I do indeed like it quite a lot now.

• HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310

I'm an avid collector, and have been since my brother got me Sydney Opera House as a Christmas present. I've got all the ones since then, and have been getting earlier ones as and when I can afford them. Getting the Robie House for 30% after it had ceased was a definite highlight of that!

Marina Bay Sands is just ridiculous though, so I've resigned myself to a hole in my collection...

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,531
    My only regret is not getting Sears Tower. Didn't know about it when it was released (DA) and I lived in Chicago back in '96 (summer job). Now I collect where I've been and where I hope to go! If they did a Skyline set of Chicago I'd be all over it (Sears, John Hancock, Water Tower Place - nearly met Oprah in there, The White Castle Building, Navy Pier, Tribune building).
    Bricklover18BrickDancer
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    These are some of our favorite sets....period. The books and packaging are first class. And it is a great way to remember places you have visited. (And yes, I have been to Marina Bay Sands and do own the set.) We have most of them, but do not buy the ones we don't care for. We love the cities of Berlin and Venice and the sets for each. Can't wait for more of these hit the shelf. 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    MaffyD said:
    ...Water Tower Place - nearly met Oprah in there
    Sounds interesting, I'd like to hear more about this story =)
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    To the original question: No, I do not collect them as my primary interest on LEGO.

I do share similar stories to others above.

Initially I did not care for them. Bought the first set to give to my Dad who has a degree in architecture; his very first LEGO set as he never played/helped with mine when I was a kid... well, he "helped" by buying them for me :-) He will not buy LEGO on his own but he enjoys building these sets very much, so I've been using his birthday, Father's Day, and my occasional visit (he lives in a different state) to gift him these (3 sets so far, fourth coming up later this year).

My first set was the Flatiron building as I thought it will look good/serious at my office at work instead of displaying a Star Wars ship or a City vehicle; that approach recently went to hell as the Architecture display is currently being invade by Mixels... yeah, Mixels!

I now have 15 sets, no skylines. Eagerly waiting for #21029 Buckingham Palace and #21030 United States Capitol Building. Weldos Mixels are already in place to assist in the construction of the sets.

Only 4 of the sets I have actually seen in person, but back in my Dark Ages. It might be too much of a hassle, but it will be nice to take a picture in front of the actual building and holding the set, not the box, but the finished, built set :-)
    stlux
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 71
    mooler said:
    legoleppy said:
    ricecake said:
    I wish I could say the same.  I've never been a die hard fan of real world architecture in general, but I went to DC last summer, and in October, I bought 21022. It brought me out of the dark ages. Of the 15 Architecture sets I have, I have been to exactly two. I'm visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend and I'll be going up the Willis Tower...so that will make three! I will also be visiting the Chicago Museum of Science+Industry and they have the Brick by Brick exhibit going on.  It features constructions by Lego Certified Professional Adam Reed Tucker. Hopefully they will have some Lego sets at the gift shop. I guess I am collecting sets in hopes to visit their real word counterparts one day. Until then, I will just keep on enjoying the hobby. Who knows where it will take me :)
    The Robie house is on the south side of Chicago.
    MaffyD
    MaffyD said:
    ...Water Tower Place - nearly met Oprah in there
    Sounds interesting, I'd like to hear more about this story =)

Ah, yes. Unfortunately, most of the details have been lost in the mists of time. All I can remember now is that I was browsing after work (I was a waiter/barman) in the store, and it was close to closing time so there wasn't many people around. Anyway, I went round a corner and I saw Oprah looking at some home ware stuff (I might be wrong on that detail, could've been practically any department) and I thought "Ooh, that's that person, from US TV, I think she's famous, probably. I should go say hello and ask who she is!" There was no-one else around (I thought) so I just walked over. At about 5 metres I said "Excuse me, but..." and that's when I saw the bouncers. Or rather, walked into them as they moved out from behind a display. They didn't say a word, just shook their heads and held up their hands in front of me like a stop sign. Oprah turned around, glanced at me then turned back to whatever it was she was doing. I thought about arguing for a second, thought better of it (how would it have helped?) and then just backed away into the lift and left.

And that's it.

Our restaurant was also almost the base for Bill Clinton's staff for the Democratic convention that was in town that year. We had a whole load of Federal agents in asking questions and checking out the access and security arrangements. But it wasn't to be. Although I heard some interesting stories from the agents. Which I'm not going to repeat as they are not forum friendly.

catwrangler
    legoleppy said:
    The Robie house is on the south side of Chicago.

I did not know that. Didn't do much sight-seeing south of the city centre (was advised against it) and spent more time out in Palatine (rather boring if my memory serves me correctly).

Did wind up south-side once after a particularly hard night's drinking, not knowing where I was and an hour late for my job, but that's another post...

• moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
    Just bought the Louvre set #21024. I remember going there with my family and eating lunch in the terrace outside Le Café Mollien that overlooks the pyramid.
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    mooler said:
    "Just like the real building, the dome of the Lego Capitol Building can be removed..."

Ok then.

MaffyDcatwranglerricecakeMynatt
    edited August 2016
    ToddMyers said:
    mooler said:
    "Just like the real building, the dome of the Lego Capitol Building can be removed..."

Ok then.

Have to try that out if I ever get to visit D.C. Did you read the bit about the rocket:

"...transforming the dome into the nosecone of a rocket buried deep underground, designed to carry senators and representatives into the upper atmosphere should they fail to cater to the will of the people."
    Bricklover18catwranglerricecakeMynatt
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    ^ I swear they have been working on that building for at least 5 years. 
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 673
    I am please by all the new (?) sand green pieces in the building.