Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

More OCD goodness - Lego printing on studs

GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 463
I previously asked about saving the brick bags and got a really good response. Nice to see a mix of keepers and chuckers. So now I'm curious about another thing, and I'm asking without any judgement on people who this might apply to (and I hope fellow Bricksetters don't pass judgement either because we all collect and build differently with our own quirks).

It once crossed my mind to have all (or as many as possible depending on the required orientation of the brick) of the studs facing in the same direction. And by this I mean having that little printed Lego word on each stud being the same way up as the rest of the bricks. I quickly dismissed this because it would have taken longer to check each brick before I stuck it down, and also because nearly all of the studs would be covered up, and only I'd know what I'd done.

Does anyone out there actually do this though? And if not, are you aware of any little quirks you might have when you're building your sets that others may not have?

And again, I hope that people feel they can reveal any quirks without being laughed at or judged. We're all different!
catwrangler

Comments

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    A similar discussion came up a few years ago:
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/8043/building-lego-sets-to-perfection/p1

Personally, it depends on the size of the build and how much time I have. If it's a smaller set, I'm more inclined to have the logos facing the same way when possible.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,296
    Yes. Of course sometimes it is impossible depending on the shape.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    I only do it on certain pieces that are supposed to be symmetrical, but have a slight asymmetry to them. The one that comes to mind right now is the modified 1x2 brick log.  I find if I stack them with the sprue marks aligned, they match up much more smoothly than if I do not.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
  • glosminifigfanglosminifigfan United KingdomMember Posts: 93
    I try and make sure the Lego printing is facing the same way, except where it is impossible or where a brick is slightly damaged on one side, in which case I try and make sure the 'best' side is most visible. 
    If I have a choice I prefer the 'Lego' to be the right way up (not upside down), or on the side readable from the right. (not sure if I have explained that well).
    My wife knows she has to follow the same method if she is helping me build one of my sets!

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    You're all bonkers... ;-)
    FurrysaurusGoldchainsmampepinbandit778RecceGothamConstructionColegomental
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,296
    I'm still not sure whether I should point out that it isn't printing, but moulding...
    SprinkleOtterbobabricksCurvedRoadPlateJern92
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    ^moulded printing? I'm a 'happy medium' kind of guy...
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,421
    I considered lining up the logos when I first saw the older thread, but abandoned it when I realized most new bricks have a "damaged" logo on at least one stud, and it always seemed to be a stud that was visible when the set was complete. It appears LEGO changed the molds at some point, because I have a lot of older bricks that don't have the defective logo.
    catwrangler
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 463
    @CCC You're right of course, it's molding and not printing. I'll get used to the correct terminology as I go along.
  • dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 133
    edited August 2016

I previously asked about saving the brick bags and got a really good response. Nice to see a mix of keepers and chuckers. So now I'm curious about another thing, and I'm asking without any judgement on people who this might apply to (and I hope fellow Bricksetters don't pass judgement either because we all collect and build differently with our own quirks).

It once crossed my mind to have all (or as many as possible depending on the required orientation of the brick) of the studs facing in the same direction. And by this I mean having that little printed Lego word on each stud being the same way up as the rest of the bricks. I quickly dismissed this because it would have taken longer to check each brick before I stuck it down, and also because nearly all of the studs would be covered up, and only I'd know what I'd done.

Does anyone out there actually do this though? And if not, are you aware of any little quirks you might have when you're building your sets that others may not have?

And again, I hope that people feel they can reveal any quirks without being laughed at or judged. We're all different!
    i have tried. you have to be very thorough :) 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,544
    I thought we were going to be discussing the old baseplates which had white guide printing on top of studs to show where to start construction like this:

davetheoxygenmanSumoLegoAanchircatwranglerbobabrickslordzaraklegomentalPeteMMorkMan
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,475
    ^ Forestmen's Crossing - a most excellent set!
    BumblepantsCurvedRoadPlate
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,544
    ^Yup my older sister had that one. The white spots were annoying when mocing with it. I think we usually covered them up with bricks or plates to represent rocks or other stuff as green bricks still were still extremely rare.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    edited August 2016
    I considered lining up the logos when I first saw the older thread, but abandoned it when I realized most new bricks have a "damaged" logo on at least one stud, and it always seemed to be a stud that was visible when the set was complete. It appears LEGO changed the molds at some point, because I have a lot of older bricks that don't have the defective logo.

Indeed! I'm currently building the Ferris Wheel and was trying to align the text all facing one direction and then noticed the "damaged" stud surface. Not sure from which year onwards they had this. 

The flat tile pieces also seem to have a visible dot pattern on all of them. 

Looks like the quality is getting worse... :(
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    I consider myself OCD, but I've got to draw a line somewhere. GeordiePaul, your comment is where, to save my sanity, I must draw that line :P
    stlux
  • saturncoupe1999saturncoupe1999 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, I admit it. I'm guilty as charged. Viewed from the top, all of the words face forward or to the left, depending on the part in question. Viewed from the side, all words are placed in the normal position for reading. And I'll take this one step further, to maximize my insanity. These rules also apply to all "hidden" words such as those on the bottom of tiles. This is quite a chore when building a floor of 1x1 tiles, as you might expect. But you know, that's the way I roll and it increases my pride factor because I know I have really put my heart, soul, and time into building. The fact that I am a machinist/inspector by trade adds to my insanity. :-)
    stluxMorkMan
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 463
    @saturncoupe1999 - I actually like the fact that there's someone on here who really embraced their quirkiness! Like I said earlier, we all build in our own unique ways and the Lego world is all the better for it I think. Bravo to you sir.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    edited August 2016
    Recce said:

Indeed! I'm currently building the Ferris Wheel and was trying to align the text all facing one direction and then noticed the "damaged" stud surface. Not sure from which year onwards they had this. 

The flat tile pieces also seem to have a visible dot pattern on all of them. 

Looks like the quality is getting worse... :(
    The "damaged" logo is actually where the sprue attaches to it now when it's being molded.
    stlux
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2016
    You guys do WHAT with your bricks???

Back in my day (yeah before many of you were born)... they had the molding pip (or sprue), in the middle of the short side of the bricks, and the studs all had "LEGO" in perfect form.  But that caused a more serious problem.  You may not have wanted to see any of those molding pips, and had to place the LEGO element so that the side with the molding pip was against another brick.  This also took a lot of work, but the results were more than just having your (not seen) brick tops facing the same way.

Of course the conversion of side molding pips to stud molding pip did not happen overnight (nothing ever did with TLG).  This was a process that was gradually phased in as old LEGO molds were retired (circa 1980-93).  So back then you had to look at the sides and top of bricks in order to find the pip, and build so that they were not showing.

catwranglerstlux
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    It dawned to me that if I oriented the Lego logo the same way, any imperfection would be magnified when stacked up vertically, i.e. if one side were 0.01 mm thicker than the other. Thus, I had to orient the logo opposite on alternate layers.

Thankfully, I have cured myself of that. I now pick the piece, close my eyes and lay it.

Vertically placed stuff, like window panes and tires, are still oriented properly (or at least consistently) because they are visible on a very close inspection.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    nhyone said:
    It dawned to me that if I oriented the Lego logo the same way, any imperfection would be magnified when stacked up vertically, i.e. if one side were 0.01 mm thicker than the other.
    That doesn't work, even assuming that there are such "imperfections".

If you take two "identical" pieces, then there's on a relatively small chance that they are actually identical, even if produced on the same day from the same mould, as most moulds produce multiple pieces. The "imperfections" in one mould position might be the exact opposite of those in another
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 208
    Oh man... I am in no way OCD about any other thing in my life... but yes, I am severely OCD about the orientation of the Lego logo's on the studs. I do always make sure they line up in one direction, as far as it is possible considering the necessary and possible orientation of parts. Even on other plates, where the logo is on the bottom, I still orient them all in the same direction (which makes building the ground floor of modulars a right PITA). I have been known to take apart whole assemblies (almost always sub-assemblies where it isn't immediately obvious what position the sub-assembly will have in the finished model) to rebuild the according to 'proper' stud-orientation. 

My secondary rule is that, if at all possible, I make sure mold pips on parts are out of view (for example on the side of the 2412 1x2 grill plate, and on the 4653267 round brick 1x1).
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    See, that's one of the few advantages of getting old.
    In a reasonably well lit room with my glasses on I wouldn't be able to notice which way the Lego logo is facing unless I get that close I risk a mini-figure up the nose.
    If I take my glasses off, It becomes a whole new ball game as it then becomes more of an issue to see which way the model is facing. 
    catwranglerTheOriginalSimonBdutchlegofan50Gremer
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    bandit778 said:
    In a reasonably well lit room with my glasses on I wouldn't be able to notice which way the Lego logo is facing unless I get that close I risk a mini-figure up the nose.
    Would you notice the logo at all?

Perhaps there's a whole new market for clones?
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    @TigerMoth
    That is why I only buy big sets, so the Logo on the box Is readable. 
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    I'm currently building the LEGO 8169 Lamborghini Gallardo (which was a 40th birthday present in addition to me getting to drive one that day)! It's going to be a showpiece and won't be taken apart, so I am placing all the parts with the LEGO logo the same way. I hadn't read this discussion until today, so I am smiling that there are others out there doing the same as me. Cheers, all you OCD folks!
    stlux