Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Hanging on wall!

ndennden Member Posts: 18
I use some Paracord and hanging most of my Lego Technic on the wall. Here it is:

Save me some space on the shelf!
catwranglerTheOriginalSimonBkiki180703drdavewatfordchuckpobi_gbobabricksBumblepantstallblocktooplasmodiumJackad7Tufted_duckMynattjosekalelmadforLEGOFizyxmafonFowlerBricksprevere

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    You are playing a dangerous game my friend... ;P
    plasmodiumJackad7chuckpkiki180703Switchfoot55madforLEGO
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    You are playing a dangerous game my friend... ;P
    Ah yes, my brother and I suspended the big Indiana Jones plane from the ceiling once. That was fun to clean up...every single time it fell down. :P

I can imagine Technics is a bit more robust, though. I would imagine it would 'bounce' rather than shatter straight away...
    josekalelFowlerBricks
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    I'm certain I once saw a photo where someone had mounted a UCS Millenium Falcon on their wall...
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    This isn't it, but still...

MattDawsonchuckpndenjosekalelFowlerBricks
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    ^Wasn't it with a TV wall mount bolted around the Technic innards? I need to do this too as i'm out of room in the mancave.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    That's a terrifying image - I didn't have that thought about the Technic models at all; I suppose I agree with the theory that they'd bounce rather than shatter... can see the temptation, though - such a great storage solution, and it's a really nice way to display aeroplanes and spaceships in particular...
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    I suppose I agree with the theory that they'd bounce rather than shatter...
    This makes the material scientist in me worry more - the shattering of system sets absorbs a lot of the energy - yeah bits fly around all over the place, but very little breaks.  The technic parts not coming apart means lots will be bent or broken in the process (that's where all the energy goes, like a crumple zone) - a much worse end result!
    plasmodiumcatwranglerkiki180703sed6

Anybody else have a mini heart attack at the sight of this?
    nden
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^nope, I went 'holy cow, it's bigger than I remember it.  How would I sneak that into the house? Maybe it's better I can't afford it'
    bobabrickskiki180703MattDawsonJackad7Tufted_duckmafon
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731

Anybody else have a mini heart attack at the sight of this?
    No. That's obviously the floor, with trap door in it and wood paneling for walls. Nobody would be crazy enough to put their UCS Falcon on the wall like that. ;)
    bobabrickskiki180703OldfanJackad7MegtheCatmak0137
    To be honest, though, going back to the OP's picture, I'd trust suspended Technics more than suspended (standard) Lego. I feel like you'd get more solid 'anchoring' points and a generally more robust structure with Technics. 
    bobabrickscatwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,536
    Anyone see the video where they drop a SSD onto the floor in slo-mo to see how it shattered? Broke my heart to see that. So I won't find it and link to save you guys the trauma.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    This one is close:

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    MaffyD said:
    Anyone see the video where they drop a SSD onto the floor in slo-mo to see how it shattered? Broke my heart to see that. So I won't find it and link to save you guys the trauma.
    Or SSD thrown at Deathstar.

Jackad7Natebwmadejp86MattDawsonkiki180703catwranglerbobabricksFizyx
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,295
    the millenium falcon resisted pretty well
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    Those videos are a perfect example of why LEGO retains so much of its value over time. When I was a kid the Kenner Star Wars toys also flew and crashed, but putting them back together did not work out so well...
  • ndennden Member Posts: 18
    This is how the back looks like:

For some other Technic sets, there are different spots to tie up the paracord. Hope you like the idea.
    plasmodiumcatwrangler
  • ThoughtsonblocksThoughtsonblocks United StatesMember Posts: 178
    I actually think those technic sets hanging on the wall look great.  I have half dozen of the technic airplane and helicopter sets and have been trying to find a way to display them.  I might try hanging them from the ceiling above my Lego layout, but if they fell and landed on my modulars or trains......
    Yeah, that looks pretty solid. Also, since you're hanging then from a wall, not ceiling, you can use sturdy paracord, not the flimsy thread we used to make it look like they were flying.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,308
    Not sure I'd trust my skill with knots.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,536
    Yeah, that looks pretty solid. Also, since you're hanging then from a wall, not ceiling, you can use sturdy paracord, not the flimsy thread we used to make it look like they were flying.

Always thought that displaying hanging Lego would be problematic as the 'normal' models that are hung would be considerably lighter due to the lack of internal structure that is present both between the bricks and within bricks of Lego models.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,295
    edited May 2016
    I've just dropped deep sea submarine. not even a single piece popped out. it first fell about 20 cm onto a shelf and then bounced right on my feet like 50cm below, so I suppose it amortized the fall.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    I have bad luck with sets falling over and me knocking them over.  I knocked over my detectives office while I was building it, and a few pieces fell off.  But the loose pieces that were on the table did not fare so well.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @nden Nice Technic collection!  
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    That's a very nice and unique way to display them

I like to hang things on wall. Addition to my Watercooled PC as well. :)
    catwranglerchuckpbobabricksstluxMorkMan
    @nden Looks like you just like to live right on the edge when it comes to your expensive items, ha ha.
    MattDawson

Bump up my old post. I like this since I just got the new 75192, it's gonna be some where on the wall, maybe next to my Technic sets. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,572
    ^^^Please tell me you've hung your watercooled PC on the wall with paracord as well?
    ^^^Please tell me you've hung your watercooled PC on the wall with paracord as well?
    nah... of course with tv wall mount :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    bandit778 said:
    They just need to paint that wall to look like the back of a Star destroyer and it would look really good.
    That or paint a Space Slug around the floorboard to about 1/3 of the way up the wall
    bandit778datsunrobbieFowlerBricks