Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What would you like to see out of SDCC 2016

Comments

• ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    Just checked eBay, prices are already below $100 for the Brick Heads
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    At this rate I might get black panther and dr strange just for the parts! ;P

If I can get cap and iron man for under $100, I'll get it and build it, it's the only one I really like out of the four.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    I acquired the first BrickHeadz set for just under £70 including postage to the UK a couple of hours ago. I decided that I would purchase the four if they cost less than £100 each so if this pricing trend continues it could be an expensive few days!
    tallblocktookiki180703DarthMorl
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,991
    Just something interesting I observed in another topic, but the BrickHeadz packages are branded as LEGO BrickHeadz, not as LEGO Super Heroes. Which leads me to think next year's BrickHeadz lineup will be like Dimensions or Funko Pop! figurines and encompass a wide range of different franchises, rather than being a Super Heroes subtheme like Mighty Micros.
    chuckpAdeelZubaircatwranglerkiki180703Lyichir
    Yes! I would love to get some Star Wars guys!
    chuckpAdeelZubairkiki180703
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    Aanchir said:
    Just something interesting I observed in another topic, but the BrickHeadz packages are branded as LEGO BrickHeadz, not as LEGO Super Heroes. Which leads me to think next year's BrickHeadz lineup will be like Dimensions or Funko Pop! figurines and encompass a wide range of different franchises, rather than being a Super Heroes subtheme like Mighty Micros.
    ^ I really hope this is the case. I've considered many times picking up a Funko Pop! but avoided it because I didn't want to start collecting something other than LEGO. Licensed BrickHeadz from other properties would be a great idea. 
    Aanchirkiki180703
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,368
    Aanchir said:
    I think LEGO themselves said it would contain iconic characters -and- super heroes.
    Aanchirkiki180703
  • BigHBigH Liverpool UKMember Posts: 79
    Got one more hour to collect 2 sets!
    MojoestCM4SBrickDancerkiki180703chuckp
    chuckp said:
    Aanchir said:
    ^ I really hope this is the case. I've considered many times picking up a Funko Pop! but avoided it because I didn't want to start collecting something other than LEGO. Licensed BrickHeadz from other properties would be a great idea. 
    Even non-licensed LEGO characters could be interesting. My brother has built some Ninjago BrickHeadz already, and the style really does a good job capturing the minifigures' characteristic cuteness at a larger scale. While it's a very different style than minifigures, it doesn't feel inauthentic.

But overall, I expect the first wave of them, at least, to focus on some of the LEGO Group's big-name pop culture licenses like Super Heroes, Star Wars, and Ghostbusters. Maybe even Disney, Adventure Time, and Back to the Future. Minecraft's another possibility but might be a little bit too on-the-nose. :P If we get any characters from LEGO-created IPs, it would probably be characters from The LEGO Movie or The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    The Lego are alright...the Funko rocky candy Harley Quinn is where it's at though!
    edited July 2016
    Rock Candy*

Perhaps yet another picture is in order...
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    edited July 2016
    So besides the exclusives, a couple of Batman and the Micro whatevers, that's all TLG had at SDCC this year? And there was nothing SW new at Celebration either.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I guess this is what happens when people moan about the Exclusives too much. Nobody gets anything.
    Brick_Obsession
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    ^ I suspect there is some truth in that. The lack of exclusives this year is notable and must be in response to extensive complaints.
    SumoLegoAdeelZubairbandit778
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,153
    Or, there simply isn't the need for as many promotional giveaways.
    Aanchirbandit778
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 855
    Works for me. I hate exclusive cuz the secondary market over kills price with supply and demand. I'd be way cool with a SH CMF line or just putting the exclusives in some random set. 
    Surely one ssdc exclusive minifigure to represent DC and one to represent Marvel is enough yah bloody gluttons.  :P
    Drmnezpharmjod
    Surely one ssdc exclusive minifigure to represent DC and one to represent Marvel is enough yah bloody gluttons.  :P
    Personally I quite like when there are giveaways for the LEGO Group's in-house themes, not just the licensed ones. Maybe there'll be more of a chance of that at NYCC, since for the past two years it's focused on in-house themes (then again, last year the only giveaway there was a poster).

Besides the possibilities listed above for having fewer giveaways, it's also possible that having so many giveaways was starting to create logistical problems for The LEGO Group. Like, say, creating too much of a crowd around their booth, or taking too much time for their designers or production facilities.

It's also possible that having fewer giveaway items allows LEGO to have more of each. We haven't gotten specific numbers produced for any of this year's exclusives, have we?

Or maybe LEGO just decided to do a trade-off: more exclusive sets for sale (have there ever been FOUR different exclusive sets before?) in exchange for fewer exclusive minifigures to raffle off.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if this is a trend or just a momentary blip.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Will there be any Pokemon there?

Gotta collect'em all

:D
    Legopassion8pharmjod
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    SumoLego said:
    Or, there simply isn't the need for as many promotional giveaways.
    True....but you no what?  I think many promotional giveaways are now used as crowd control.  How else do you get thousands of people to line up in an orderly fashion to enter an event or location.   I started thinking about that when I see bobble head giveaways at baseball games, thinking this game didn't need a promotion, but then agian, 25,000 people lines up to orderly enter the stadium...just my thought....
    Drmnez said:
    Works for me. I hate exclusive cuz the secondary market over kills price with supply and demand. I'd be way cool with a SH CMF line or just putting the exclusives in some random set. 
    I love exclusives just for the same reason you stated....no one says you have to buy it in the secondary market, but I like the idea of a special event having a special item.   Not sure in the Lego case, but many exclusives are the event asking and creating one.
    Aanchir
    Don't get me wrong, I really like the exclusive items too, but it just sucks for some. Sometimes people really can't afford to spend money to complete/collect these things. My SH mf set is complete, but at a cost. I don't mind when the market gets the price to teter around <$120-$130 for exclusive mfs. I remember the cost when these things first started coming out. Very sad wallet. Love that Lego made more to make them more available 
    MattDawson
    ryjay said:
    Drmnez said:
    I love exclusives just for the same reason you stated....no one says you have to buy it in the secondary market, but I like the idea of a special event having a special item.   Not sure in the Lego case, but many exclusives are the event asking and creating one.
    I also like exclusives even when I don't have a chance to own them just by virtue of how cool it is that they exist. I mean, I doubt Batman of Zur-En-Arrh was ever on the short list to appear in an actual SET, so an exclusive at an event frequented by comic geeks who are more likely than the average kid to even know the character was probably the best chance for an official figure of him to ever get made.

A lot of people's frustration with exclusives comes from the assumption that making a character as an exclusive rules out the possibility of ever seeing another fig of that specific incarnation of them. This seems to have been a lot of people's frustration with minifigures like Phoenix and Bizarro, which depict iconic incarnations of iconic characters.

But we've already seen that isn't the case. The Green Arrow minifigure from three years ago was based on his New 52 costume, and last year we got a new Green Arrow minifigure in a regular retail set, also based on his New 52 costume. While the retail version of Green Arrow lacked leg printing, he also had three new recolors for his hair, hood, and bow, whereas the SDCC version had no bow or hair and shared his Earth Green hood piece with Dr. Doom and two different Mirkwood Elves.

I guarantee that if LEGO ever wants to put a character in a set who's previously been released as an exclusive figure, they won't let their previous decision stop them — they'll just give the character a slight redesign just like they did with Green Arrow, or like they routinely do with other non-exclusive Super Heroes and Star Wars characters like Batman and Luke Skywalker.

Now, we're probably never going to see another minifigure of the movie version of Green Lantern. But there's a very good chance we WOULD have if the movie hadn't bombed. Conversely, if the exclusive version of him hadn't been released, then that version of him probably wouldn't exist at all. Choosing not to release him as an exclusive wouldn't make TLG any more likely to put that version of him in a set once the movie was revealed to be a dud.
    BumblepantsLyichir
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    ^ I suspect there is some truth in that. The lack of exclusives this year is notable and must be in response to extensive complaints.
    I was hoping that they would have shown us some of the upcoming sets, or has that be relegated to NYC Comic-Con and Toyfair?
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    I am attending SDCC and fortunately won Atom and Cap America on Thurs and Friday. Tried Saturday, but giveaway ran out much sooner than previous days (~30 mins or ~500 minifigs). Thursday and Friday, they must have had about 1000 judging by the boxes on the table. I'd be curious if quantity is similar to previous years, but split over 2 days. Supply is probably not significantly more this year.
    chuckpkiki180703
    Does anyone know the actual number of exclusives handed out this year?
    I was told 1,400 per day by an employee in line at the booth.
    BigH said:
    So almost 3,000 of each as we thought, that's quite a bit.
    BigH said:
    Was that for the brick headz, the mf, or all exclusives? I've been trying to keep track of the quantity of each of the exclusives I own. 
    He didn't specify at the time, but my question to him was specifically about the brick heads and the availability on the day, so I would say that's the answer to how many per day for this set only.
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 473
    Are the Brickheadz sets numbered? I'm sure I've see a photo of a numbered card to pick the set up, but I cant think that I've seen a photo of the set with the numbered seal that previous SDCC sets have had?
    Not sure at the moment and my sets are packed away to travel, so it will be a while before I can check.
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
    Mojoest said:
    Are the Brickheadz sets numbered? I'm sure I've see a photo of a numbered card to pick the set up, but I cant think that I've seen a photo of the set with the numbered seal that previous SDCC sets have had?
    Yeah they are numbered the highest I've seen is 1200 so the 1400-1500 stated before is probably right.  

The highest I could find on eBay was 1436 nothing above 1500
    Mojoestkiki180703
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    Everyone in attendance of the Sunday Lego Dimensions panel at SDCC received the Limited Edition Lego Dimensions Green Lantern polybag. The seating capacity for the panel was about 900. That should help those who want to collect these. No word about the Super Girl.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 805
    edited July 2016
    LEGO Batman trailer from SDCC. Lol Michael Cera's Robin

bobabrickspharmjodkiki180703
    Has anybody opened one of these BrickHeadz? If so, do they include extra parts? I want to buy Cap & Iron Man to build and just wanted to know if I would be getting a spare of one of those trans light blue tiles.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ^ ^ That made me smile! As a child of the seventies who cut his teeth on the original Batman TV series, I never could work out why Robin was running around in his jocks! Tights under your jocks? That's cool - Super Heroes do that! No tights or flesh coloured tights? Well that's just creepy!
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,153
    ^ (Flesh-colored tights are pantyhose.)

@MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    gmonkey76MAGNINOMINISUMBRAbobabrickskiki180703
  • ninjabricksninjabricks ChinaMember Posts: 7
    SDCC 2016 CA is being cloned plus the Stan Lee minifigure. Read here.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Satan bless their thieving little hearts >=)
    ^^ I love how it's also just pictures of the real thing vs. their product. False advertisement at its finest.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,894
    My brain processed this as "Stan Lee is being cloned", and that did not ping me as odd for at least five seconds.
    bobabricksGoldchainschuckpkiki180703
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,524
    Looks like minifigs.com Stan Lee.
    bobabrickskiki180703
    Anybody else's ATOM mf have a messed up back face?
    edited August 2016
    I like those brickhead style figures.  I wish they did they MLB Giants and Red Sox lego day figures as blockhead instead of what they did do as retro looking stupid figures.
    sklambkiki180703
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    Not totally related to the topic, but does anyone know when tickets are released for SDCC 2017 ? I have seen dates already, and I am looking to make the trip over next year.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Drmnez said:
    Anybody else's ATOM mf have a messed up back face?

Can you show a picture to we can compare?
    Looking at them now, they both look a little weird (not just the obvious one)
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited August 2016
    ^Oooof, the one on the right definitely looks off. Has LEGO ever had to deal with any sort of replacement or customer service issues on promos before? Could be an interesting test case. 
    They don't do it