Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71040 Cinderella's Castle

Comments

• DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 594
    Not that I've looked at the top secret images which are all over the internet on nefarious websites who care nothing for good working relationships with LEGO..... But does it look like there might be ... stickers on some of the external walls?

tomahawker
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    It's hard to tell, but compared to the shield above the gate (which clearly is a sticker), the wall elements may actually be printed.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    edited July 2016
    The blockwork probably is although it it hard to see the edges of the stickers, the shield design on the bracket definitely is.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^too many of them are different - no way they would print that long sloping piece that is used on all the wall towers like that.  They image is the same but higher or lower on each wall piece - I'm calling stickers.
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    ^True... unless they're going to use them extensively in future sets :)
    Then it's possible they're actually printed (as pictures clearly show). Anyway, 70 minutes left!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,424
    edited July 2016
    Like the stickers in #70806 ?
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    For some reason, I thought it was going to be more colorful. I'm glad it's not. I'm now interested in this because it reminds me of Drangleic Castle. 
    DkS mocs should be a thing!
    Pumpkin_3CK5
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 485
    edited July 2016
    Well I guess I know what I am using $350 of that $500 I'm getting for that tree removal on. I'll probably "try" to wait until October to make good use of the double VIP points.

I'm also hoping that clock face will show up on the Bricks and Pieces website. I'd like to use those for a MOC.
    MooreFXkiki180703
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I feel like, even at the high price point, they will sell a bazillion of these. Not only because of Disney collectors, but because it is a showpiece for anyone's living room. 

For all the adult fans of LEGO out there who are trying to get their spouses into LEGO, this is the gateway drug! 

mustang69Pitfall69AdeelZubairkiki180703bandit778brumeycatwrangler
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Looks awesome. The image is absolutely everywhere on several Lego sites...
    brumey
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,569
    edited July 2016
    ^ It's been officially announced now so I'm not surprised  :-) 
    brumey
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,528
    It does look pretty good, but £290 for half a castle? :( 
    Really TLG, really?
    £580 for a full castle?

I guess I will have to get that second mortgage now. :)

mustang69kiki180703
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 485
    Venunder said:
    It does look pretty good, but £290 for half a castle? :( 
    Really TLG, really?
    £580 for a full castle?

I guess I will have to get that second mortgage now. :)

When I first saw the image of the front of the castle I was worried I might have to get two to make it a full castle. Luckily I am content with how the back looks so I "think" I can deal with just getting one ;)
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Love the castle and the little nods to the fairy tales that are sprinkled throughout. Very nice.

The fig line up is not so great though. For one, five figures feels kind of sparse after seeing GB HQ and the 60s Batcave. Then the figs we got... Mickey and Minnie were always going to happen, but I wish the ducks would have been replaced with Cinderella and Prince Charming. Tink looks decent but ugh... I hate fabric accessories.  Just print the skirt for god sakes!

Bumblepants
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    I hate it, and I covet it!
    pharmjodbandit778
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    CircleK said:
    Love the castle and the little nods to the fairy tales that are sprinkled throughout. Very nice.

The fig line up is not so great though. For one, five figures feels kind of sparse after seeing GB HQ and the 60s Batcave. Then the figs we got... Mickey and Minnie were always going to happen, but I wish the ducks would have been replaced with Cinderella and Prince Charming. Tink looks decent but ugh... I hate fabric accessories.  Just print the skirt for god sakes!

You know Mickey is wearing a cloth "skirt" (tails) too. The only things worse than cloth skirts are plastic/cloth combinations.
    CircleK
  • ChewybricksChewybricks Florida, U.S.Member Posts: 57
    This set looks totally awesome. My daughter will love it in a couple years when she gets older. I guess I'll have to love it in the meantime. Can't wait to do a review of it!
    tallblocktooericbkiki180703
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,771
    The licensed stickers would have peeled before your daughter gets her hands on it.  ;)
    Pitfall69
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 83
    This set looks totally awesome. My daughter will love it in a couple years when she gets older. I guess I'll have to love it in the meantime. Can't wait to do a review of it!
    Big fan of your reviews.  Your Tie Fighter review still makes me laugh.

"ChewyBricks HD!"
    edited July 2016
    CCC said:
    CircleK said:

You know Mickey is wearing a cloth "skirt" (tails) too. The only things worse than cloth skirts are plastic/cloth combinations.

No - I didn't catch that. Mickey won't look horrible if you leave the tails off so I can live with it.  Tink will be exposed without the skirt though. Cloth skirts are the worst. 
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Overall I think the set looks nice, but I do not like the price,  tower bridge has more pieces and is $110 dollars cheaper.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2016
    Tower Bridge doesn't have more pieces.

And, btw, if you really look at Tower Bridge's components, you'll find things like 174 1x1 plates, 256 1x1 bricks and 226 cheese wedges.
    legomental
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    Not to mention Tower Bridge came out in 2010, has no minifigures, and is not licensed. 

This is appears to be one of the better value sets this year. A large number of pieces contributing to one large overall build. There aren't pieces wasted on smaller builds and the pieces aren't divided up between multiple smaller builds. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    @TheLoneTensor   While I agree with your logic I must say the Tower Bridge set does in fact have 215 more pieces in it even though they are small. 
    There aren't pieces wasted on smaller builds and the pieces aren't divided up between multiple smaller builds. 
    And that's the thing I like the most. I just realized that now. Not one of 4080 pieces is wasted. Not one! Now that's what UCS should be like.  
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^well technically, there is stud shooters so they will have counted the standard 3 extra 'fireworks' in each colour.  Oh and the stud shooters themselves.  But a dozen wasted pieces out of 4000 isn't too bad ;)
    A.Brickovsky
    oldtodd33 said:
    @TheLoneTensor   While I agree with your logic I must say the Tower Bridge set does in fact have 215 more pieces in it even though they are small. 
    You're right, was looking at the incomplete Brickset listing of parts.
    edited July 2016
    A few questions...
    • Does the "kitchen" represent any specific movie or otherwise?  when I first saw it I thought it was supposed to be Gepetto's workshop.
    • On the same line, does the stuff in the "fireworks" room mean anything?  Tall tower room, hairbrush, scissors, Tangled?
    • Back to the kitchen, what is a buildable broom?  a) did they mean the mops? b) the mops aren't in the kitchen.
    • Those little 1x1 rounds in the archery vignette, what exactly are they supposed to be?
    • Shouldn't the guards count as minifigs?  Other than a printed face, they are full-on figs.  After all, they counted the mannequins in GE.
    I believe the kitchen alludes to Cinderella's domestic drudgery pre-Fairy Godmother (the pumpkin hints at the carriage). Totally need a couple of mice in there though. 
    CircleKtallblocktookiki180703TheLoneTensorpharmjodbobabricksbandit778Goldchains
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    @TheLoneTensor I'm assuming the buildable broom (which will use the mops) is a reference to The Sorcerors Apprentice - I'm thinking a mop with a couple of droid arms attached to carry some buckets...
    LostInTranslationAllBrick
    A few questions...
    • Does the "kitchen" represent any specific movie or otherwise?  when I first saw it I thought it was supposed to be Gepetto's workshop.
    • On the same line, does the stuff in the "fireworks" room mean anything?  Tall tower room, hairbrush, scissors, Tangled?
    • Back to the kitchen, what is a buildable broom?  a) did they mean the mops? b) the mops aren't in the kitchen.
    • Those little 1x1 rounds in the archery vignette, what exactly are they supposed to be?
    • Shouldn't the guards count as minifigs?  Other than a printed face, they are full-on figs.  After all, they counted the mannequins in GE.

I'm confused by the round tiles as well.  They are doughnuts right? I'm assuming that area is meant to represent Robin Hood (or maybe Brave), but I'm not getting the tie-in in either case.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    Pitfall69 said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    Paul Lee has mentioned a ton of points on Facebook why we shouldn't be sharing leaked images as it could impact the company and their relationships with IP's which will be reflected in the products. Maybe @Huw could also touch upon these points if he wishes to on the page regarding leaks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdultFansOfLego/permalink/1168019946552369/?comment_id=1168477583173272
    Why is TLG worried more about leaked images than all the couterfeit and knock-off Lego sets being produced? When is the Lepin Cinderella's Castle being released?
    One of the many reasons they're worried about leaked images is BECAUSE of those knock-off sets. These knock-off companies can get a copy on store shelves as early as twelve weeks after the real set is officially released. And LEGO doesn't want to give them any more of a head start than they need to.

But besides that, what makes you think LEGO is more worried about leaked images than about knock-offs? The difference in their responses can be chalked up to differences in the way they are ABLE to respond. With leaked images on LEGO fansites, if they're really concerned they only need to send a request for the images to be taken down, and most of the time the fansites are happy to comply. Shutting down a counterfeiter is many orders of magnitude more difficult.
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I think Lepin will wait until the set is retired.
    Unlikely — they started selling knock-off Temple of Airjitzu sets as soon as they could. Even though AFOLs generally don't take a huge interest in these knock-offs unless they're of retired sets with inflated aftermarket values, companies like Lepin still probably make a killing on current sets just by selling them in markets where the prices for real LEGO are high and the median household income is low.

Since they're already saving money hand over fist by copying other companies' designs and graphics, using cheaper materials, underpaying their workers, piggybacking off the popularity of the real sets instead of doing their own marketing, and probably not adhering to such rigorous safety standards, they'll always be able to offer their products at lower than the RRP for the genuine article. That means they don't have to worry so much about the audience they target opting for the real deal over their cheaper imitation.

This is part of why it frustrates me when people suggest that LEGO could stop these counterfeiters just by keeping the real sets on shelves longer. In fact, the longer LEGO keeps a set on shelves, the more knock-offs are likely to spring up during its lifespan, meaning a bigger market share for the counterfeiters and a smaller market share for the LEGO Group. And big sets like modular buildings or this castle already tend to stay on shelves longer than the average set anyhow.
    MattsWhat said:
    ^too many of them are different - no way they would print that long sloping piece that is used on all the wall towers like that.  They image is the same but higher or lower on each wall piece - I'm calling stickers.
    They did print those pieces in some 2002 Star Wars sets (where those parts were introduced), so they probably wouldn't need all-new fittings for their printing machines in order to print those parts. Stickers would still seem likely to me considering how long it's been since that part was last printed, but they definitely look printed in some of the high-resolution images and I can't reject that possibility as easily as I could if it were a piece that had never been printed before.

CircleK said:
    A few questions...

I'm confused by the round tiles as well.  They are doughnuts right? I'm assuming that area is meant to represent Robin Hood (or maybe Brave), but I'm not getting the tie-in in either case.
    As far as I can tell, that section represents Brave, and the printed tiles represent the enchanted fruit tarts from the movie (although, I think in the movie there was only one of them).

As for the guard statues, yes, LEGO has been a bit inconsistent about that kind of thing. They did not count the Sensei Yang statue from the Temple of Airjitzu in the minifigure count for that set either. Maybe the presence or absence of a face plays a role in their decision (the Grand Emporium mannequins' faces were only turned around, so by turning them back around you could still conceivably use them as people), or perhaps it's just a case where LEGO's standards for what they do or don't include in the minifigure count have changed in the past six years.
    catwrangler
    edited July 2016
    I believe the kitchen alludes to Cinderella's domestic drudgery pre-Fairy Godmother (the pumpkin hints at the carriage). Totally need a couple of mice in there though. 
    Yeah, ok, the pumkin sells that (didn't even make that connection).  I guess Cinderella gets a double-shot of easter eggs.
    @TheLoneTensor I'm assuming the buildable broom (which will use the mops) is a reference to The Sorcerors Apprentice - I'm thinking a mop with a couple of droid arms attached to carry some buckets...
    Yeah, I get the mops, which are buildable, but those are in the Fantasia vignette, and the description of "buildable broom" was for the kitchen.  The broom in the kitchen is the same one for the witch CMF right?  That was one piece.

Also, Just read the description for the fireworks room including a lock of black hair, so yeah, that's gotta be Tangled.

As for the archery piece, my heart wants it to be Robin Hood, but that's much more obscure than Brave these days.

On another note, the vignette descriptions throw me.  Why say "features a golden mirror, plus red apple and glass vase elements." instead of just saying Snow White?  or "buildable dark-blue curtains with curtain pole, ornate buildable candelabra and rose, and glass case elements" instead of Beauty and the Beast?  These all read like those second-rate videos that use the original stories, but aren't Disney.

And yes, I realize, way too much detail obsession here, but I really like Disney :)
    LostInTranslationbandit778Salamalexsnowhitiecatwrangler
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, ok, the pumkin sells that (didn't even make that connection).  I guess Cinderella gets a double-shot of easter eggs.

Yeah, I get the mops, which are buildable, but those are in the Fantasia vignette, and the description of "buildable broom" was for the kitchen.  The broom in the kitchen is the same one for the witch CMF right?  That was one piece.

Also, Just read the description for the fireworks room including a lock of black hair, so yeah, that's gotta be Tangled.

As for the Archery, my heart wants it to be Robin Hood, but that's much more obscure than Brave these days.

On another note, the vignette descriptions throw me.  Why say "features a golden mirror, plus red apple and glass vase elements." instead of just saying Snow White?  or
    "buildable dark-blue curtains with curtain pole, ornate buildable candelabra and rose, and glass case elements" instead of Beauty and the Beast?  These all read like those second-rate videos that use the original stories, but aren't Disney.

And yes, I realize, way too much detail obsession here :)

These are good points, but I think of them more as easter eggs for Disney fans.  We generally know what they reference, they just didn't want to specifically name them for various reasons.  I suspect they also didn't call it the Cinderella Castle for similar reasons; they want to keep it somewhat Disney generic, and perhaps to not lump it together with the "Friends" style Disney sets out there.  They may want to make sure people don't think they're from the same lines or scales.  The "Friends" style figures would work with this castle, but they might seem a bit out of place.  If they called it Cinderella's Castle, people may think it's for their "Friends" version, only to find they don't really fit.
    catwrangler
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    its an awesome set.
    i like it and will get it! when there is a promo or double points or something!
    edited July 2016
    Aanchir said:

Maybe the presence or absence of a face plays a role in their decision (the Grand Emporium mannequins' faces were only turned around, so by turning them back around you could still conceivably use them as people), or perhaps it's just a case where LEGO's standards for what they do or don't include in the minifigure count have changed in the past six years.
    I can buy the face thing, but still, you'd think they'd include them somehow if only to help offset the impression that you only get a measly 5 minifigs in a set this size.  If nothing else, use a Vader face turned around for the statues :)

Good call on the tarts too, perhaps that's not the "poison" tart, but the ones the boys stole earlier in the film.  But, still a bit stuck on it being Brave, since that would be the only Disney/Pixar one, as opposed to just Disney, which all the others are.  Oh well.
    ^ The set descriptions also came across quite weird to me! Specifically, the fact that they failed to mention any of the specific individual properties that the individual vignettes represent seemed very strange. Maybe there's some weird rules around the use of individual named properties? OR Maybe the set descriptions were actually written by someone with an extremely limited knowledge of Disnay? I'm looking forward to seeing the instruction manual for this one - I'm wondering if it will have an individual section that shows the Easter eggs and how they tie into the individual properties (similar to the page or two sometimes dedicated to play features)? I also can't help but feel we'd have a lot of our questions answered if we had an accurate list of S2 Dismey CMF's...
    Disnay? Dismey? Of all the words autocorrect recognises... I would have thought Disney would be one...
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    ^But the girl from Brave is considered an official 'Disney Princess' I think, so the reference fits their designation.
    MooreFX
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    If it is indeed Brave that would be really out of place as its the one movie of the selection produced by Pixar and not Walt Disney Animation
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited July 2016
    I wonder if the reason Cinderella, Snow White, etc. aren't named has something to do with Princess licensing or something.  Yes it's all Disney in the end, but licensing issues among a huge company like that aren't always so simplistic.  They have hundreds of licensing deals, and they have to make sure deal A doesn't violate deal B, etc, etc.

Just spitballing, I have nothing to base this on other than conjecture
    edited July 2016
    I suspect that it's because people don't read things properly and if they start putting Snow White and Beauty & the Beast in the text people will just see those names and assume the figs from those films are included. 
    cheshirecatAanchir
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    dougts said:
    I wonder if the reason Cinderella, Snow White, etc. aren't named has something to do with Princess licensing or something.  Yes it's all Disney in the end, but licensing issues among a huge company like that aren't always so simplistic.  They have hundreds of licensing deals, and they have to make sure deal A doesn't violate deal B, etc, etc.

Just spitballing, I have nothing to base this on other than conjecture

My thoughts exactly, and also what LostInTranslation said, people would get too confused and not know what's going on if they mentioned other themes that weren't necessarily meant to be included with the set.  It's tricky since they have the Princess series going on at the same time.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,147
    ^But the girl from Brave is considered an official 'Disney Princess' I think, so the reference fits their designation.
    Merida is definitely a Disney Princess.  I had to stand in line for 45 minutes to meet her.  (I was more aggravated waiting for 90 minutes for Princess Tiana.)

I get the impression that this is a Disney Parks-based set, so I would expect all sorts of random references to Disney films.  

Disney Schizophrenia is rampant at the theme parks.  Everyone shows up everywhere, without much reason.  Is Jiminy Cricket an Earth Day Ambassador?  He was at the parks in April.  
    LostInTranslationgmonkey76bandit778Salamalex
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 943
    uhm... typo? The following article from Oh My Disney says that the castle will be available August 1... at LEGO and Disney stores!

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2016/07/11/lego-walt-disney-world-cinderella-castle/?cmp=emc|omd|natural|disney-omd|2016-07-12|omd|box1
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2016
    ^^ @SumoLego Your lack of mentioning a reason for wasting 135 minutes to meet two Disney employees dressed up as cartoon characters is disturbing, but funny.
    SumoLegokiki180703gmonkey76bandit778Salamalex
    I suspect that it's because people don't read things properly and if they start putting Snow White and Beauty & the Beast in the text people will just see those names and assume the figs from those films are included. 
    Or... they didn't want to bring too much attention to the fact we don't have any of these figs. So far.
  • bluez3bluez3 Member Posts: 12
    Hmm now I am thinking this set would go great with a Death Star, Palace Cinema and the monorail system. I wonder if anyone has MOCed a whole theme park together. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,147
    ^^ @SumoLego Your lack of mentioning a reason for wasting 135 minutes to meet two Disney employees dressed up as cartoon characters is disturbing, but funny.
    I should probably add the queue times for the Mad Hatter and Alice, Chip and Dale, and Stitch as well.  Nothing says a fun family vacation than waiting in line!

(Although, I shouldn't imply that it wasn't the best vacation.  It definitely was.)

Next time - not standing in line for characters!
    Salamalex