Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Themes you hated

13»

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    I had the same thought about ben 10 at first but then i realized they are the best for building organic-looking bionicle MOCS. As far as wider use, they are too specialized for my taste.
    Yeah, the Ben 10 sets were generally a poor value, some of the parts like the heads were fairly specialized shapes, and many of the parts were lacking in connection points. But when the first reviews came out I was actually struck by how much LESS specialized those parts were than Bionicle parts in terms of motifs and textures. The parts had more of the same sort of solid, clean smoothness I associate with LEGO System and LEGO Technic, as opposed to the greebly, overtly mechanical details of many previous Bionicle parts or the more specific organic textures of most Galidor parts. It was probably the first constraction theme where most of the parts just as suited to mechanical characters as organic ones.

Between that aesthetic difference and the sturdier joints the Ben 10 sets implemented, I think those parts could be considered forerunners to the CCBS, which kept many of those traits while also implementing a more modular system of shells and beams.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 276
    There's lots of hate for Nexo Knights but I think the hate should be directed at Knights Kingdom II. So many problems with that series: the jelly bean knights and their ridiculous swords being the most obvious. The only redeeming thing about that series was the Scorpion knights of the evil faction. They were seriously cool looking and had great helmets.

What annoyed me about Knights Kingdom was that it was a supposedly serious "Castle" line. However, the swords looked like something that fell out of some anime rejected ideas bin. The knights were just cartoonish and silly while the castles tried to be serious. And the dubious play features such as wheeled horses, yuck. Nexo Knights, by comparison, is obviously sci-fantasy along the lines of He-Man. It's a totally silly mash-up of castle and tech and it does not pretend to be castle at all. It's castle-flavoured only. This, along with its much better character design, makes it a success as far as I'm concerned. I don't plan to collect it all but I feel it's much better executed overall. Plus I love how many new parts it has and the shields. I may have to collect those.
    catwrangler
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,249
    ^I've never seen the KK2 sets and it seems to be a very odd mish-mash of "System-style" and constraction... The swords are horrible and it looks as if some of the knights want to be ninja as well... All very odd...
    KK1 looks far nicer, in comparison, so what were TLG thinking??
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    There's lots of hate for Nexo Knights but I think the hate should be directed at Knights Kingdom II. So many problems with that series: the jelly bean knights and their ridiculous swords being the most obvious. The only redeeming thing about that series was the Scorpion knights of the evil faction. They were seriously cool looking and had great helmets.

What annoyed me about Knights Kingdom was that it was a supposedly serious "Castle" line. However, the swords looked like something that fell out of some anime rejected ideas bin. The knights were just cartoonish and silly while the castles tried to be serious. And the dubious play features such as wheeled horses, yuck. Nexo Knights, by comparison, is obviously sci-fantasy along the lines of He-Man. It's a totally silly mash-up of castle and tech and it does not pretend to be castle at all. It's castle-flavoured only. This, along with its much better character design, makes it a success as far as I'm concerned. I don't plan to collect it all but I feel it's much better executed overall. Plus I love how many new parts it has and the shields. I may have to collect those.
    I enjoyed the Knights' Kingdom II buildable figures (sadly I stopped buying the minifigure-scale playsets in 2005, which is sad because that's when the designs actually started getting good) and didn't have any issue with the concept, because I actually really like colorful characters with flashy, exaggerated weapons. After all, I'm a Bionicle and Ninjago fan as well!

But I agree that Nexo Knights feels a lot more well-executed than Knights' Kingdom II. From what I've read about Knights' Kingdom II on concept artist Mike Rayhawk's website, it was originally envisioned as more of that sort of He-Man "future fantasy", including Chima-esque castles with pronounced animal motifs, but during development it got watered down into a "safer" medieval fantasy where the flashy, elaborate armor and weapons (with energy attacks, because LEGO was very strict about violence back then and actually letting a character hit another person in their sword in the tie-in video game was apparently a no-go) no longer fit quite so well.

Nexo Knights feels a lot closer to what Knights' Kingdom II could have been if its original futuristic elements had been pushed FURTHER instead of dialed back. The throne on Jestro's Volcano Lair even resembles the scorpion-tail throne Mike Rayhawk envisioned for the corrupted Castle of Morcia. And of course, it also benefits from having a higher target age range, and from the general improvements in set design and functionality over the past ten years. Even if you think the Nexo Knights' hover horses are just as silly, there's no denying that they have a more developed look than the simplistic rolling horses from #8779.
    SprinkleOttercatwrangler
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited July 2016
    only 1 hover horse left for me to collect!  MACY

i love those hover horses. but it really needed to grow on me first.  yesterday my nephew paid me a visit with great "lego trivia set news" in the pipe!

you can combine fortrex with merlok library and it has this cute little girl with the violet outfit!  MIND BLOWN!
    so i need the set with macy's hover horse and merlok library. then i m set with first wave nexo!
    catwrangler
  • AnnaBuildsLegoAnnaBuildsLego IrelandMember Posts: 11
    I think "hate" is a very strong word. However, I did fervently dislike Clikits (like seriously, those were not LEGO at all and I think people have completely forgotten that theme) and Belville. Both were gross enforcements of gender norms, and also just bad themes that didn't connect well to the regular LEGO system. As a kid, there was nothing more embarrassing and annoying than going to the toy shop to purchase a City or Star Wars set only to find them labelled "Boys Toys" and being urged to check out the "Girls" section. 

Friends is open to much of the same criticisms, and I hated it in the beginning because of that - it felt like a step backward for LEGO. However, as the theme has progressed, I've warmed up to it because of one thing - it includes boys, too. The sets now frequently include male characters, which helps to present the overall product as something open to both male and female LEGO fans, and that actually does a lot to, surprisingly, undermine gender norms. I was at my local toy shop recently, where I found a young family at the Friends section, with a 5 year old son being tremendously excited to get some of the sets. 

Friends has also produced some great, versatile builds, unlike Belville. The cafes and supermarkets can easily fit into a City build, and of course, that glorious hot dog van! The only thing I truly dislike about Friends now are the minidolls, but I can live.

TL;DR: I dislike "girl's" themes due to their upholding of gender norms, like Clikits and Belville, but warmed up to Friends due to it having excellent builds and appealing to boys too.
    catwrangler