Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

World Racers

50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Seems like this theme was DOA.... some of the sets look really cool though. Any thoughts?

Comments

• pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I never looked twice at these. Kind of a garbage series to me. I didnt like even one of the sets.
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    Same here. I just walked right by those every time I went to look at Lego in the store. None of them really looked that interesting and I thought others looked just silly. Comes down to the fact that I'd rather spend money on something I really want to have rather than something I don't care about that much.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    I enjoyed the theme - the figures, color schemes and some pieces were unique, and the vehicles were quite imaginative. The minifig heads were somewhat cartoony, which I enjoy. Some sets were weaker than others - "Gator Swamp" used the big raft piece that is difficult to work with, but "Wreckage Road" was very cool, with a nod to the 8-wide cars from the Speed Racer sets (which I unfortunately missed out on - I would've been all over those like a sauce). "Jagged Jaws Reef" had some nice stickers (I don't care, I find them useful :P ) that will find their way into some of my future starfighter MOCs. "Snake Canyon" was okay - the highlight of that set is the inclusion of the 'Space Police Commando' helmet with the 'Team X-treme' logo printed on it. "Blizzard's Peak" had some really interesting vehicles. All the sets coming with trophies was a nice touch, too.

The only set I don't yet have is the flagship set, 'Desert of Destruction', but I plan on getting that one when a good sale comes around. I'm kind of happy it was a 'one and done' theme, so I don't feel the need to "collect 'em all" over and over again. I could've seen an 'expanded universe' that introduced another team or two with different, equally striking, colors, had they continued the theme.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited April 2011
    I figured this theme would appeal to those people who liked the Agents theme. It seems like it is very focused on play action. It also seems to be larger than life and not really geared to be realistic.

The theme didn't really appeal to me.

• VBaskin2009VBaskin2009 Guest Posts: 6
    I Wish That The Good People Of Lego Should Create Mor Of These World Racers Sets Don't You Think So Guys?
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ I am going to ask once more, please use proper sentence case. There are studies that show how incorrect case usage makes sentences much harder to read - all caps being a good example (as well as indicating shouting).
  • cbowerscbowers Member Posts: 21
    ^I agree. I'm also not perfect.
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    At the risk of making suggestions without sufficient evidence, one cannot help but wonder about the age of a certain board member. Just sayin...
  • CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    While I haven't really touched this theme, I thought some of the sets looked pretty spiffy - and would probably be good MOC fodder. That beefy 18 wheeler truck set comes to mind >.>
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I bought the $30 US set with the two racers and the finish line. Very nice set but the stickers took me longer than the actual building. I'd wait for a good sale before I try to buy any of the others. In Canada though, best to just skip buying all of these sets.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2011
    I sort of agree with crackseed... also, @brickmatic - I agree about the agents... at the same time, all those sets are fairly MOCable... here's what I did with the agents 4wd vehicle: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/226413
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    This seems to be the theme you get when you don't have alot (if any) of "City" stuff as it doesn't really fit into that genre size-wise but more as a way to bridge the gap between Duplo and City maybe?
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    That seems like a strange generalization. I can't see WR as being in any way related to Duplo, nor do I see it as something someone would buy simply because they "don't have a lot of CITY stuff". There are plenty of reasons why a theme attracts buyers - for me, as I've said, WR appealed to me for the pieces, colors, minifigures and stickers (believe it or not).
  • jake9jake9 Member Posts: 4
    The vehicles in these sets were well designed and cool looking, like the diesel truck and the two racers. Colors were also unique. They all reminded me of the movie Road Warrior.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    The designs were good and the figs had great graphics on them.
    Much like vynsane said, the stickers are fabulous for Moc's.

From what jake9 said above....I think if they went MORE Road Warrior and less trophy cup winning racer, it would've sold better.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,784
    In my opinion World Racers looked like a rehash of the Agents line. A LEGO Store manager I know felt the same way.
  • hans_olohans_olo Member Posts: 5
    I always preferred the minifig-based racers over the pull-back or micro racers...but this theme never caught my eye. It just seems to silly and pointless to be expanded on. It would have been a more attractive theme had Lego gone with a sleeker design that could be integrated into the Lego City sets, but that's besides the point.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    There are a few of the vehicles I find cool, but not enough to justify $50 for a particular set.
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    I bought 2 of the Snake Canyon Race set for the motorcycles... otherwise I didn't care for the World Racers theme.
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    Ditto, Snake Canyon is great just for two motorcycles... the rest of the theme does not appeal to me. I wish LEGO would bring back the Ferrari race cars!
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    I thought the whole theme was pretty boring. There just wasn't anything overtly special about the sets. Like I told my little brother, "I came, I saw 'em, I bought Star Wars" :)
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 931
    I wonder why there was never a "Race 7" set. The large one, Desert of Destruction was #6, and the Polybag buggy was #8.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    not sure what #7 was, but #9 is 30031-Powerboat Polybag.