Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

brick and mortar store for used LEGO

2»

Comments

  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,735
    Checking in... Did you ever open your store @goingdeepe ?
    pharmjodbobabricksPitfall69SumoLegokiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    Looks like he went off the grid. Interesting. 
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    We own a business and are always actively looking for other locations, but the proposition of being committed to another location scares me. It is hard enough running one location; we just sunk another $2,000 into the shop for renovations and upgrades. The $2,000 is tax deductible, but you only get a small percentage of it back. To me, online retail is still the way to go when selling your wares.
    pharmjodkiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^but buying online means I wouldn't get the ambience of pony, isn't that one of your main draws?
    pharmjodPitfall69kiki180703SumoLego
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,735
    Pitfall69 said:
    We own a business and are always actively looking for other locations, but the proposition of being committed to another location scares me. It is hard enough running one location; we just sunk another $2,000 into the shop for renovations and upgrades. The $2,000 is tax deductible, but you only get a small percentage of it back. To me, online retail is still the way to go when selling your wares.
    Can I ask what kind of store?
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    MattsWhat said:
    ^but buying online means I wouldn't get the ambience of pony, isn't that one of your main draws?
    I like the smell of pony in the morning, it smells of victory
    pharmjodFurrysauruskiki180703bobabricksSumoLego
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^for me it is toast, I like the smell of toast in the morning.

    I think you might have been spending too much time with @Pitfall69
    Pitfall69kiki180703bobabricks
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    Pitfall69 said:
    We own a business and are always actively looking for other locations, but the proposition of being committed to another location scares me. It is hard enough running one location; we just sunk another $2,000 into the shop for renovations and upgrades. The $2,000 is tax deductible, but you only get a small percentage of it back. To me, online retail is still the way to go when selling your wares.
    Can I ask what kind of store?
    A Barbershop/Salon. 
    FollowsCloselykiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,735
    Ah.

    Didn't realize Gungans had hair. ;)
    pharmjodPitfall69kiki180703bobabrickschuckp
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    @Pitfall69
    The way your shop was decorated on the outside you should have said it's a fully armed and operational Barbershop / Salon
    pharmjodPitfall69kiki180703chuckp
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I have actually considered this option.  It isn't something that you can do for a living, but I would do it as a hobby.  I had a sports card shop for 15 years and it broke even to made a small profit which was enough for me because it gave everyone a place to hang out, gave me a place to store, display and turn over my collection, established me as a "go-to" guy in the community for sports card collecting.  Alos, it gave me an opportunity to buy collections and appraise things that most others wouldn't have access to.  This was pre-ebay and pre-craigslist, so those outlets would cut into things today, but I could see a brick and mortar store being the same way for used Lego.  If you incorporated birthday parties and other events, you could probably sustain your inventory just based on collections coming in the door.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Pitfall69 said:
    To me, online retail is still the way to go when selling your wares.
    How does this work for hair cuts then?
    SprinkleOtterFollowsCloselyPitfall69kiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    wagnerml2 said:
    I have actually considered this option.  It isn't something that you can do for a living, but I would do it as a hobby.  I had a sports card shop for 15 years and it broke even to made a small profit which was enough for me because it gave everyone a place to hang out, gave me a place to store, display and turn over my collection, established me as a "go-to" guy in the community for sports card collecting.  Alos, it gave me an opportunity to buy collections and appraise things that most others wouldn't have access to.  This was pre-ebay and pre-craigslist, so those outlets would cut into things today, but I could see a brick and mortar store being the same way for used Lego.  If you incorporated birthday parties and other events, you could probably sustain your inventory just based on collections coming in the door.
    My assessment of the business model was that it might break even or allow a modest living to be made. Not enough to replace my current income anyway. Even doing gangbusters in sales. The idea of a hangout type place was attractive to me, but my wife would not be happy with me if I did that =)
    wagnerml2Pitfall69kiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    MattsWhat said:
    ^but buying online means I wouldn't get the ambience of pony, isn't that one of your main draws?
    I like the smell of pony in the morning, it smells of victory
    Napalm and Pony is a great combination in the morning.
    Ah.

    Didn't realize Gungans had hair. ;)
    We do; just not where you would expect.

    MattsWhat said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    To me, online retail is still the way to go when selling your wares.
    How does this work for hair cuts then?
    Most of what we sell are services, not retail items. 
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    bandit778 said:
    @Pitfall69
    The way your shop was decorated on the outside you should have said it's a fully armed and operational Barbershop / Salon
    The shop changes from time to time ;)
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterFurrysaurusnatro220pharmjodkiki180703SumoLegocatwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    @Pitfall69
    I preferred the Star Wars window, but I love the way you think having Mrs Lovett's as a barbershop. That's dark. 
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,175
    MattsWhat said:
    ^for me it is toast, I like the smell of toast in the morning.
    You may be having a stroke.
    MattsWhatkiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    pharmjod said:
    wagnerml2 said:
    I have actually considered this option.  It isn't something that you can do for a living, but I would do it as a hobby.  I had a sports card shop for 15 years and it broke even to made a small profit which was enough for me because it gave everyone a place to hang out, gave me a place to store, display and turn over my collection, established me as a "go-to" guy in the community for sports card collecting.  Alos, it gave me an opportunity to buy collections and appraise things that most others wouldn't have access to.  This was pre-ebay and pre-craigslist, so those outlets would cut into things today, but I could see a brick and mortar store being the same way for used Lego.  If you incorporated birthday parties and other events, you could probably sustain your inventory just based on collections coming in the door.
    My assessment of the business model was that it might break even or allow a modest living to be made. Not enough to replace my current income anyway. Even doing gangbusters in sales. The idea of a hangout type place was attractive to me, but my wife would not be happy with me if I did that =)
    I can imagine a place like that. A Lego store much like the bar in "Cheers". TigerMoth would be Cliff ;) Who would be Norm??
    SumoLegobandit778pharmjodkiki180703catwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,175
    I feel like we had this conversation before.  And I feel like I nominated myself to be Fraser Crane.  

    Anyway, I definitely think @Pitfall69 is our Sam Malone - the silly anchor that keeps us coming back.

    Norm... not too sure about that...
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    I'm just imagining the hilarity of only using Brickset screen names at such a hangout.
    MattDawsonkiki180703catwranglerPitfall69
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,735
    pharmjod said:
    I'm just imagining the hilarity of only using Brickset screen names at such a hangout.
    Imagine trying to find one of us in real life by asking strangers if they are such-and-such username.

    "Hi, are you bumblepants?"
    "Excuse me?!?"

    "SumoLego?"
    "Did you just call me fat?"

    Eventually you would give up with usernames, and go with icons.
    "Jar Jar guy?"

    ... Before getting punched in the face for asking if someone is "Jar Jar guy"
    bandit778kiki180703BumblepantsFurrysauruscatwranglerPitfall69dougts
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,943
    It would also just be really weird to find out no one looks like how you picture them in your head.
    SprinkleOtterpharmjodcatwranglerPitfall69bandit778
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,735
    It would also just be really weird to find out no one looks like how you picture them in your head.
    ... Are you telling me Ptifall isn't a gungan?
    BumblepantspharmjodcatwranglerPitfall69bandit778kiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    edited June 2016
    @SprinkleOtter
    He can't be, there is no way a Gungan would be seen in shorts in the middle of winter.
    BumblepantspharmjodcatwranglerPitfall69kiki180703
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2016
    < Would be recognised, alas.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.