Is this baseplate damaged? And what the rapture??

RirinetteRirinette CanadaMember Posts: 84
I received today a BrickLink order and I noticed that one of the baseplates included in the order has "droopy" holes, as if they melted. Should I request a replacement or this is normal?

Also, how should I respond to this??? It was infuriating to find in the package. Can't people just keep their religious propaganda to themselves? NOT appreciated. I am not sure I am ready to leave a positive review for this BL store. :-/

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I don't even know what to say to this. XD
    The droopy holes, whatever that's a factory problem, the rapture card is quite the little added bonus. Maybe they accidentally threw that in instead of a BL business card. Seems a tad strange. Look a little harder, maybe they sent you a Trump hat as well!

Ririnettekiki180703AllBricklegomentalRsa33
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    @Pitfall69 Honestly, how quick were you able to put that meme together? :P
    Pitfall69tamamahm
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^Was it that fast? I don't notice anymore.
    bobabrickscatwranglerpharmjod
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907
    ^ I'm not worried, Kirk Cameron will save us all.
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    SumoLego said:
    I'd rather have his sister save me ;)
    adol7
    And you could probably get a Valeri Burr autograph.
    chuckpLegoboy
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    So, they're outspoken- if you don't agree with it, toss it out.

At least they aren't standing on a street corner shouting it to you through a megaphone.
    GoldfreekFurrysauruspharmjodRsa33waynegg
  • RirinetteRirinette CanadaMember Posts: 84
    You guys aren't helping, lol. I do find the meme brilliant though. I also noticed that the plate is in the wrong color (dark bluish grey instead of dark grey). Is it worth fighting over $6 USD? I am pretty annoyed that I did not get what I ordered, and contacted the shop owner to complain, but has anyone disputed over a single item like this? Honestly I don't know what to do. Help!
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    Um, yeah, I have disputed over less. Most of the time, if I didn't the seller would not know they sent me the wrong color until they got to the next order, and into more trouble.
    Ririnettekiki180703BuriedinBricksMattsWhatcatwrangler
    So, they're outspoken- if you don't agree with it, toss it out.

At least they aren't standing on a street corner shouting it to you through a megaphone.
    True that. I am not that upset about the note, as I am about not getting what I ordered. I will never leave a bad review over freedom of expression, but the fact that product is not up to par and doesn't match the order? I am not so sure.
    (Bure)  

Maybe 'Hamilton' fever has taken over my autocorrect.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 481
    I'd start by privately sending the seller that photo of the "droopy" baseplate, with your causes for concern about it. Play it by ear after that depending on the seller's response. I've found most Bricklink vendors are eager to deal with problems like this!
    Ririnettekiki180703drdavewatfordpharmjod
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    The baseplate should be fine, but if it is the wrong color ask for a refund or an exchange.  The religious card well that is a different story. 
    Ririnettekiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,784
    Do bricks stick on the baseplate? As for the religious propaganda, leave feedback as you see fit.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2016
    ^agreed. The bottom of basplates is largely useless anyway - they can't attach to anything, so if stuff goes on the top OK and it sits flat that's not really worth the bother is it?  It's a different issue if it is the wrong colour though - that's always worth complaining about - no bricklink vendor should be mistaking the old and new greys.

As for the religious stuff, give them a break - if you really thought the world was ending and you thought you had a way to save people, would you just keep it to yourself or would you try to reach out to others?  You can just throw it in the bin (or recycle it).  You frequent an online forum (and it's this one), you have to be pretty good at ignoring random opinions already.
    xwingpilotRirinetteFurrysauruspharmjodecmo47
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2016
    No point complaining about it, but they shouldn't be putting religious crap in there - I'm sure people would be annoyed if it was a vote hilary, or vote trump card (although not particularly useful as its in Canada) or something neo-nazi or communist. There's just no need. Stick it in the bin and do something they'd find abhorrent to bring balance to your world once more. 

And yes, definitely complain about the colour mistake. Mistakes happen, they really may not know depending on how new they are. Not worth a negative but they should either fix it or refund. Either way, you're doing them a favour so they don't make the same mistake again.
    Ririnettedrdavewatfordkiki180703Jern92TheBigLegoski
    Thank you everyone. I emailed the owner about the color mistake and mentioned the issue with the holes in passing. I would expect them to suggest an exchange or reimbursement. I did not say anything about the rapture, and if all this gets resolved, I won't leave a negative. But I agree that some things are more appropriate than others... and for being a Lego shop, I would have appreciated for them to stay on topic. Will let you know how it goes!
    TheBigLegoski
    MattsWhat said:
    ^agreed. The bottom of basplates is largely useless anyway - they can't attach to anything, so if stuff goes on the top OK and it sits flat that's not really worth the bother is it?  It's a different issue if it is the wrong colour though - that's always worth complaining about - no bricklink vendor should be mistaking the old and new greys.
    The reason why I am a little hung op on this is because I would like to sell the set that has this baseplate and I feel that I am offering a sub-par or defective piece. It does not make me feel good about the sale in this case.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2016
    Ririnette said:
    I received today a BrickLink order and I noticed that one of the baseplates included in the order has "droopy" holes, as if they melted. Should I request a replacement or this is normal?
    It's normal.

Some are; some aren't. I've seen it on a Taj and on an Opera House (curiously, both blue) so it's neither new, nor something historic that's gone away.
    rd1899RirinettePumpkin_3CK5
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    Just a comment regarding the card.

Not a professional move by the vendor, they are there to sell you bricks and nothing else. Personally, I would mention it in a friendly message.

Opinions aren't always best shared, or forced, or added to your BL order to completely throw you.
    TigerMoth said:
    It's normal.

Some are; some aren't. I've seen it on a Taj and on an Opera House (curiously, both blue) so it's neither new, nor something historic that's gone away.
    Good to know! Phew.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    color aside, the 'droop' is from the part being pulled from the mold at production. sometimes things stick and it appears that was the case here. the part was likely inspected by machine for thickness and stud form. both passed meaning that plate went on as acceptable by Lego to sell and there for could appear in any set using that baseplate.

as for the rapture... it seems like there will be several events planned for that day perhaps we should try and get a Lego convention set up too. wouldn't want to be bored for all eternity.
    catwranglerMattDawsonTheBigLegoski
    color aside, the 'droop' is from the part being pulled from the mold at production.
    Baseplates are vacuum-formed so only one surface is "finished" - the top. Deformation by sticking to the mould would therefore be unacceptable because it would affect the studs.

Of course, it doesn't really matter because the bottom surface doesn't really conform to the system in any way.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^only issue would be if the 'melted' looking bits prevented it from sitting flat on the ground.
    Bumblepants
    You'll be lucky to get a baseplate to sit flat on anything! Because they're so thin, the tension between studs tends to make them curl slightly anyway.

They are indeed slightly raised, but the deformation of the hole itself makes the lips look a lot worse than they are.  It might be a little more than the "daylight gap" between bricks, but not much.
    I vaguely recall a vendor that acquired cases and cases of off-color dark grey bases with similar production errors.  He sold thousands of them at a large toy/Lego show for $5.00 apiece.

The rumour was that they had been surplused from a facility in Mexico for pennies.  
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,697

For anyone needing to read up on revelation.

http://www.bricktestament.com/revelation/index.html

pharmjodPitfall69RirinetteBOBJACK_JACKBOBcatwranglerGothamConstructionCo
    FYI the seller offered to reimburse the dark grey plate, so all is good, aside from the fact that I fear to be left behind.
    catwranglerkiki180703bobabricksnatro220
    SMC said:

I haven't read the Bible to be able to understand all this, but I applaud the dedication. Something tells me that not everything I saw is very kosher.
    catwranglerkiki180703
    ^pun intended?
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Ririnette said:
    SMC said:

I haven't read the Bible to be able to understand all this, but I applaud the dedication. Something tells me that not everything I saw is very kosher.
    Yeah...the guy deliberately created his series to make fun of Christian beliefs. Occasional good points made, but he takes more of the Bible out of context than the average 'Christian encouragement meme' generator. I won't go into any theology because a) this isn't the place for it (I believe forum rules discourage it!) and b) no-one really wants that....
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,446
    Pitfall69 said:
    SumoLego said:
    I'd rather have his sister save me ;)
    But what about the droopy holes?
    Pitfall69
    ^ (Smirk)
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 801
    Seems a little rude to force religion on anyone. It's akin to someone walking up to you and shouting in your face about how you're going to hell (experienced that before, wasn't pleasant)
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,875
    I hardly consider including a business card with some websites listed and a statement of belief "forcing" religion on anyone. And any "Christian" that walked up to you and told you you were going to hell wasn't really following Christ's example at that point, so I'm sorry you experienced that.
    Pitfall69kiki180703Furrysaurus
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Would you feel the same if it was promoting a different religion, Islam perhaps?
    jadeireneTheBigLegoski
    Remember that this is not just religious belief, but the idea that many people will soon be removed from the earth because of their beliefs. If they believe in Jesus, then they will be removed from the earth by Jesus. Whether this will be angelic-like or Waco-like, who knows?

If somebody put a leaflet through your door proclaiming that Tatania was going to cast her evil spell over you, would you give it a moment's thought?

It's a piece of printed card. The significance attached to it, good or bad, is yours and yours alone.

Before somebody says that mentioning the Queen of the Fairies is ridiculous, in some circles fairies were regarded as the folk that were thrown out of heaven, but weren't evil enough for hell - so there is a religious connection.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,529

@CCC - you're right (not that you need me to confirm that for you). There's a big difference between telling people how great religion is, and saying that the second coming will be upon us shortly. But AFAIK in the UK there's not a big 'Rapture scene' so I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it all...

Also, getting a bit off-topic for Buying & Selling maybe? Sorry. I'm off to check my baseplates for droopiness. And Windows has just told me 'droopiness' is a word - quite surprised there.

TigerMoth said:
    If somebody put a leaflet through your door proclaiming that Tatania was going to cast her evil spell over you, would you give it a moment's thought?

If I went in a store and the cashier told me that, then I probably wouldn't shop there again. This is not putting advertising through a door, it is part of a business transaction. I don't care what religion a shopkeeper is and I don't care if they advertise it on their person (such as wearing a cross or a turban). But forcing unrequested literature on customers is, for me, a line crossed. I'll shop at The Entertainer, but if they started including religious material in shopping bags, then I'd probably stop using them.
    TheBigLegoski
    edited June 2016
    ^why does another persons opinion bother you that much though?  You're happy for people to have an opinion as long as they don't tell you is what you are saying essentially.
    It makes no odds to me if someone gives me a religious leaflet.  They put leaflets in shopping bags all the time.  Sometimes they are interesting enough to look at before the bin but often not, the fact that it is about religion (whether Christianity or Islam) is no different to if it was about a computer repair shop (for example).
    In fact, as I said above, it's probably better - they guy shoving a shop leaflet on me is trying to make money, the religious leaflet person is trying to save me (in their own way).  I'll ignore them, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the fact they thought of me.
    FurrysaurusTechnicNick
    CCC said:

If I went in a store and the cashier told me that, then I probably wouldn't shop there again.
    You don't buy magazines in WHS then? They include unsolicited and unrelated advertising. Some shops even provide bins for you to dump it!
    SprinkleOtter
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,697
    MaffyD said:

@CCC - you're right (not that you need me to confirm that for you). There's a big difference between telling people how great religion is, and saying that the second coming will be upon us shortly. But AFAIK in the UK there's not a big 'Rapture scene' so I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it all...

'Rapture scene' a great name for a christian rock band.

Mind if I use it? :)

ShibSprinkleOtterFurrysaurusMaffyD
    TigerMoth said:
    CCC said:

If I went in a store and the cashier told me that, then I probably wouldn't shop there again.
    You don't buy magazines in WHS then? They include unsolicited and unrelated advertising. Some shops even provide bins for you to dump it!
    I don't but it is not because of the advertising. Advertising products is fine for me. Advertising religion is not.

CCC said:

Advertising products is fine for me. Advertising religion is not.
    I wonder why. It's a product - a club, that someone wants you to join. If it's down to somebody pushing their morals being better than yours, most advertising is about what you should have or should do.
    edited June 2016
    MattsWhat said:
    ^why does another persons opinion bother you that much though? 
    It is not just an opinion if it is printed on a leaflet and included with shopping. If they are forcing their own opinions on their customers, then they risk losing those customers if the customer doesn't like the "product" being advertised. Whether that is an actual product or a belief.

I know quite a few Manchester United fans and they will travel on Etihad despite them sponsoring City. Yet if Etihad changed all their planes to sky blue and had Manchester City Football Club written on the side, and they gave out free Man City scarves and signed photos when you travelled with them, then they will have probably crossed a line for many of them. Even though they offered the same service as before.