Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10252 - Volkswagen Beetle

Comments

• ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    $69.99 according to the picture. 
    Zoomed in it looks like 469.99, I wonder what store in what country put these out for sale so early?  LEGO must be fuming over this.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    I read the sticker as £69.99
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 110
    It's Romanian, according to Eurobricks, so 469.99 Leu (a little over €100 or $100 USD).

• bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 947
    Looks good - very curvy and I look forward to doing some alt-colour mods.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    edited June 2016
    drdesignz said:
    It's Romanian....
    This.
    Sarky
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,703
    Not too pleased with this set given how hyped I was. I own every other Creator Expert vehicle and had plans to purchase it August 1st, I still plan getting it for my collection however I'm not too excited about getting it. The shaping not round as I expected and the colour is really annoying and boring, I would have preferred yellow or the orginal #10187 colour scheme.

Maybe I have to wait until the official press release to convince me. Which should be within two weeks.
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 857
    From the initial box photos, I'm underwhelmed by it. I'll probably still buy it 'for the collection'. Be nice to get new Dark Azure parts though.
    Think it's a 'grower'.
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    Adzbadboy said:
    Maybe I have to wait until the official press release to convince me. Which should be within two weeks.
    The official reveal is today, 15:00 CET. 
    AdeelZubairkiki180703
    Adzbadboy said:
    The official reveal is today, 15:00 CET. 
    Yay!
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    #10252 is nice enough but I actually prefer #10187. The new one is too literal in its shape and the eye is drawn to differences whereas the earlier one suggests the shape and it is formed in the mind's eye.
    AllBrickkiki180703
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    £69.99 is a good price for this.  Will be picking it up for sure.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,367
    edited June 2016
    Revealed!

http://brickset.com/article/22070/10252-vw-beetle-press-release

Amazing, eh? You know, I actually made a comment regarding someone's guesses on the next D2C. They said "(B)atman (B)atcave, (B)ig (B)en, what's next?" and I guessed (B)lue (B)eetle which was actually a guess. Guess I guessed right! 
    MattsWhatcatwranglerchrisalddinkiki180703povolenie
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,093

^ Me too!

• SamJSamJ West Yorkshire, UK Member Posts: 118
    Really like it, better than I expected! Day one purchase for me to go with my other creator vehicles 
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    Designer video:

catwranglerchrisalddinkiki180703tallblocktoo
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,549
    I think that looks great! Okay, the surfboard looks a little odd, but the rest of it is an excellent representation, to my non-Beetle-expert eye.
    I've not got any of the Advanced Vehicles yet, but I think that I'm definitely going to get the two VWs and the Mini...
    Oddly enough, and as a fan of supercars, I'm not that excited by the Ferrari for some reason that I can't quite pinpoint.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    So for those who want to do a color switch - the wheel wells are the biggest concern, I would think. Are those, this part? #87559?

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,489
    #10252 is nice enough but I actually prefer #10187. The new one is too literal in its shape and the eye is drawn to differences whereas the earlier one suggests the shape and it is formed in the mind's eye.
    I agree, somethings not right with this. As someone said earlier, it resembles a 2CV.

I'm a die hard VAG fan (careful) and I know VW shells inside and out. I know it's Lego but it just looks odd.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea (and the VW printed 1x1 tile), just a tad off though.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    Looks like a new part to me, 5x5x1 and no studs, ^ is a 6x6x2.
    preverekiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,549
    ^^ I get your point about it looking a little 2CV-ish, having compared pictures... I think it's mainly the flat windscreen that does it, I think...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    And the wall flat sides. Its like the mini which looked like a cross between a mini and a land rover, this looks like a cross between a beetle and a 2CV. In reality it looks nothing like a 2CV either - covered real wheels, swept wheel wells, bonet decroation etc.
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 50
    Looks pretty cool!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,489
    edited June 2016
    I think its the roofline, nowhere near to the smoothness of a käfer. It's too tall, the rear windows are a mess (curves under a square frame) and, like JudgeChuck said, the flat rectangular screen. The screen and the roof edge together is almost exactly 2CV. 

This MOC has done a better job IMO.....

And it's yellow.

Edit: looks better in the designers video. Am i being too harsh? Maybe I was expecting too much.
    BrikingTheBigLegoski
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 624
    I like that new wheel arch piece but I thought Creator was not allowed to ask for new parts. I thought that Creator designers were only allowed to use pre existing parts/new colors of existing parts. 

• klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    I love everything about it.  The color is perfect for me. I drove several blue 60s VWs.  Yellow is for taxis. The new piece for the wheel wells is very convincing.  
    Mynatt said:
    I like that new wheel arch piece but I thought Creator was not allowed to ask for new parts. I thought that Creator designers were only allowed to use pre existing parts/new colors of existing parts. 

They also did it with the #10248 - Ferrari F40 by including 6106080 - Wind Screen 1X12X4 54 Deg "Deco No 1" and 6105951 - Hub Cab Ø24 W/Stud

I wonder what changed their minds? I'll have to save that question for LEGO Creator design team, considering they were very strong about the concept of not using any new moulded parts!
    Mynattcatwranglerkiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I like the choice of an unusual blue color, though would have preferred Light Blue for a more be beachy feel. And odd that it doesn't come with USA plates considering how California the model is with a surfboard.

Will go great with my living room decor:

catwranglerLegoboy77ncaachampspovolenie
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 110
    Two sold for $250 (USD) each on eBay today:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/401136983713

They were "pre-sales", which I thought was against the rules since they're items not in stock at the time of sale.  But I could be mistaking.
    drdesignz said:
    Two sold for $250 (USD) each on eBay today:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/401136983713

They were "pre-sales", which I thought was against the rules since they're items not in stock at the time of sale.  But I could be mistaking.
    How dumb do you have to be ..
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,894
    I'm impressed at how they did the curve of the bonnet!
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 857
    maniac said:
    From the initial box photos, I'm underwhelmed by it. I'll probably still buy it 'for the collection'. Be nice to get new Dark Azure parts though.
    Think it's a 'grower'.
    This is why you don't judge fully from box photos taken in bad light.
    Now I've seen the designer video, I'm liking it more. Medium Azure for a start (not Dark Azure) which is one of my favourite colours in the current Lego palette. The shape of the Beetle seems mildly better in the video, although not perfect as mentioned by some already.

Also a nice selection of useful new parts. 
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,335
    There are some really nice new parts in different colours in this set. It does, at a certain angle, look a bit 2cv-ish but all in all I think they have done a good job with this. It looks like a fun build and well thought out.
    Not really paid much attention to the creator cars before now but this is looking like it may be my first dip in the pool. 
    (Hoping they release some of the new parts in alternate colours as well). 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Mynatt said:
    If that rule does exist, it probably doesn't extend to parts that have already been designed and approved but not released. A part that's new to us may just be waiting for a set to contain it.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,024
    i like it.

this is all i have to say.
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    i like it.

this is all i have to say.
    Short and simple 
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,353
    My understanding is that the Creator team are allowed to request the creation of new parts, although they challenge themselves not to. I suspect that authenticity comes above everything else when licensed products are being produced.

I think the model looks fantastic. A new windscreen designed specifically for the VW Beetle would have been ideal but it looks reasonable in its current state to me.
    pharmjoddougts
    I'm sure the new fender pieces will be used in other sets. The first thing that came to mind for me was a new Jango Slave I
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
    CapnRex101 said:

A new windscreen designed specifically for the VW Beetle would have been ideal but it looks reasonable in its current state to me.
    It is new. Sort of. It's presumably a transparent version of 24607. I think, at least, that's, a new colour, but I don't think it was in any new set in any form either.

Yes, it was in later versions of #10242, but which came first? Was the windscreen designed for the Mini and just adopted for the VW, or was it designed with the VW in mind and then retrofitted to the Mini?
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,064
    And odd that it doesn't come with USA plates considering how California the model is with a surfboard.
    @BrickDancer Aren't the default plates California plates?

Image from the designer video: 
    BrickDancer
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    And odd that it doesn't come with USA plates considering how California the model is with a surfboard.

Yep. They're just a little bit hard to recognize because they're a very old style of plate (the 1956 to 1962 version). More info here: http://www.lamag.com/driver/the-colorful-history-of-california-license-plates/

Actually it'd probably be more accurate to the one pictured in that article if it were Bright Yellow or Flame Yellowish Orange rather than Cool Yellow. But Google Images shows plates in lots of different shades of yellow. Maybe they were prone to fading?
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,064
    Aanchir said:

Yep. They're just a little bit hard to recognize because they're a very old style of plate (the 1956 to 1962 version). More info here: http://www.lamag.com/driver/the-colorful-history-of-california-license-plates/

Actually it'd probably be more accurate to the one pictured in that article if it were Bright Yellow or Flame Yellowish Orange rather than Cool Yellow. But Google Images shows plates in lots of different shades of yellow. Maybe they were prone to fading?
    @Aanchir I think that the plates are not Cool Yellow but are actually Bright Yellow. If you look on the box, it looks more like Bright Yellow. I think it's just the lighting from the video that made it paler.
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 53
    Those wanting a "yellow" car (bright yellow?) should consider that the model represents a pre-68 model for which bright yellow to my knowledge was never an option. Yellow cars of this vintage were more like Cool Yellow.

Also, after the red/white T1 and the red F40 red for also this model would have been a silly choice.
    tallblocktoo
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Good catch @kiki180703 and @Aanchir was right on why I didn't recognize them, being the old school license plate type. But even then it doesn't look quite familiar.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    That number plate is a nice reference to the designer.
    bok2 said:
    Those wanting a "yellow" car (bright yellow?) should consider that the model represents a pre-68 model for which bright yellow to my knowledge was never an option. Yellow cars of this vintage were more like Cool Yellow.
    The UK plates says 1964; the US one seems similar. All of the VW colours of that period were fairly drab, even the reds. The only yellow was Yukon Yellow, for which the nearest TLG equivalent would indeed be Cool Yellow. Even that looked grey. Brighter (slightly, but with a couple of exceptions) colours had to wait until the 70s.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Good to see the VW is staying with Lego for some time.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 668
    Well... I like it more than the first one but not enough to want it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    I hope they eventually do a Thing and a Karmman Ghia =)
    AllBrickCurvedRoadPlate
  • SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    Bobflip said:
    Well... I like it more than the first one but not enough to want it.
    I've had the same feeling, but with almost all the Creator vehicles. Although, the VW Beetle may have enough charm to convince me!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    TigerMoth said:
    bok2 said:
    The UK plates says 1964; the US one seems similar. All of the VW colours of that period were fairly drab, even the reds. The only yellow was Yukon Yellow, for which the nearest TLG equivalent would indeed be Cool Yellow. Even that looked grey. Brighter (slightly, but with a couple of exceptions) colours had to wait until the 70s.
    The US plate would probably be a 1956–1962 plate, actually, since starting in 1963 the colors of California plates were reversed (yellow text on black instead of black text on yellow).