Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First time making an offer to a stranger for a "Lot"

DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
Hi All,

I let my local Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade group know that I was interested in Lego recently and tonight I got my first response.  Except I'm not sure whether to low ball them or what.  Any tips (or other threads to peruse)?

The lot looks to be a mix of Lego and something else, but there's a 9v train set in there!

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited June 2016
    I dunno about asking folks if you should 'low-ball' someone as I consider that a bit rude to ask, but that is just me.
    I can say there is a #4559 cargo train.. I think it goes around 100 USD on eBay.
    Also the #6544 shuttle transcon2 plane is there, that is typically around 45 USD I think on eBay.
    Looks like some coast guard boat and some under sea sets from the mid to late 90's
    Looks like may some late 90's early 00's castle is in there as well (just too lazy to look on bricklink for which one.

Typically I find specific pieces and search bricklink's catalog for the part type and then what sets they appear in.
    Dedgecko
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Fair enough.  I just wasn't sure if there's a "code" that the better lot buyers use or not.  I have no intent to resell any of this, and I can see a lot of unwanted items in there (donate or burn ;)).  The seller is stating this was a storage locker auction, which I need to familiarize myself with.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,757
    Nice big boat hull, too... I've been looking for one of those...

Ask them what they want for them. If they are adamant about asking for an offer, offer them about 1/8 what you think they are worth. You can go up, not down from an offer.
    pharmjodDedgeckoAllBrickkiki180703
    They asked for $100.  I'm stupid to not take that right?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    It's a start. Personally, I'd probably counter with $50-$75 depending on how badly you actually want it and what your intended use will be (collection vs resale). 
    DedgeckoAllBrickSprinkleOtter
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,090
    If it's mixed up Lego, I would be paying what i'd deem the pieces to be worth as a bunch of random pieces and not as potential complete/nearly complete sets. If they can't be arsed to sort what they have into sets then treat it as random pieces and offer a fair price on that basis.

pharmjod
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    I find it all evens put when buying lots like this, some you get for peanuts, others you may pay a little over. Ultimately it all evens out and things often end in your favour. I've paid around £45 for about the same amount or more and there was some really good stuff in there. $50-75 sounds fine to me, I would want a closer look though before committing.
    I can honestly say that I have payed $20 for a full tub larger than that. I would definitely counter at $50-$75.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 690
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm... I guess you have to consider the following points:
    • Can't see any boxes or instructions (are you worried about this?)
    • No guarantee all the parts are there for any of the sets (how much time / money will it be to source them?)
    • Can't see any minifigures in there (same as above)
    • Who-knows what kindof megab&^x (or chewing gum or general crap) is hidden away (are you prepared to clean and sort it all out?)
    All of the above will reduce the value and be a drain on your own money, time and sanity!!  I'm not sure about the ethics of a "low-ball" approach (i.e. deliberately offering an insultingly low offer to capitalise on the seller's naivety / lack of knowledge) as this would generally be frowned upon by the community at large.  However, given the pictures and the comments above, if they've asked for $100 they probably expect (and will accept) lower offers.  Decide in advance exactly how much it's worth *to you* and then, as others have suggested, throw a much lower offer at them and see what they counter with, then go from there.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!
    datsunrobbieDedgecko
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,711
    Since it is being sold through a Facebook group I would expect that the members of the group share information. I'd pay the $100 for what I can see in those tubs and hope the group puts up more for purchase. I bought a similar lot via Craigslist a year ago, paid the seller's asking price without haggling, and the seller called back a week later because he found another tub in the attic. Was told by the seller to just come pick it up if I wanted it, for no charge, since he was getting out of LEGO entirely and I had not tried to low-ball him on the initial purchase. 
    JessyDooDahDedgeckoBuriedinBricksricecake
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  I ended up passing on it once my wife saw other images that showed how much random dirt and debris was in with everything (happy wife, happy life)!

The seller then told me he'd take $40.

Temptation rising again!
    pharmjod
    Dedgecko said:
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  I ended up passing on it once my wife saw other images that showed how much random dirt and debris was in with everything (happy wife, happy life)!

The seller then told me he'd take $40.

Temptation rising again!
    Go for it- a few pieces of track are worth that...
    BuriedinBricks
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I use around $7.00 to $9.00 per pound (CDN).  If there are no instructions and tossed in boxes like that then it automatically becomes bulk to me.
    pharmjod
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I'd buy at $40 I think
    madforLEGO
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Looks like it has quite a bit of #1822 in too.  Got to be worth a $30 offer.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 640
    I see the sea cowcutter boat haul in their