Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Retired modular v Space Slug

DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
Hi All,
firstly I hope it's ok to post this given its prompted by a current listing for trade. If it's not ok @Huw @drdavewatford please delete it :-)
So as mentioned there is a Space Slug promo set listed for trade with a selection of modulars wanted. Unfortunately a trade would be to difficult for me as I'm in the UK and the cost of shipping my NISB Fire Brigade makes it a non starter. 
However it really got me thinking which of the 2 sets would be more highly prized by our community? Obviously on a head to head for build and value for money per piece the FB wins hands down. However as a collectors piece the SS is far rarer..... to purchase of eBay prices are very similar for both. So which you rather own???

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Both. 
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 949
    SS is rare but I have zero interest in it. I'll have an FB please.
    Pitfall69pharmjodkiki180703dougtsJackad7Rainstorm26AllBrickmadforLEGOlegomental
  • Dtrimpi87Dtrimpi87 San DiegoMember Posts: 56
    Id rather have a FB. Im dying to get my hands on one.
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    You can have my slug for your FB.
    Pitfall69kiki180703snowhitie
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I would rather own the Fire Brigade and I am a die hard Star Wars fan.
    pharmjodkiki180703Dtrimpi87AllBrickBumblepants
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,093
    I think this is one of those fundamental questions when it comes to collecting just about anything.

Substantial sets that are more common versus 'special' smaller sets that are far more rare.

Dollar for dollar, I'd rather have a FB, but the resale potential of a SS may ultimately be much higher.
    monstblitz
    edited June 2016
    SumoLego said:
    I think this is one of those fundamental questions when it comes to collecting just about anything.

Substantial sets that are more common versus 'special' smaller sets that are far more rare.

Dollar for dollar, I'd rather have a FB, but the resale potential of a SS may ultimately be much higher.
    I agree, unless the owner opens up the Space Slug. Has anyone opened theirs up and displayed it? Before I berade anyone for being so foolish; is there any "special" pieces in the Space Slug set that make it unique? 
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    As a collector rather than someone in the mindset of a reseller, I can build my own space slug fairly cheaply. On the other end the FB...not so much.

Fire Brigade for sure.
    Pitfall69kiki180703dougtssnowhitieAllBrick
    edited June 2016
    But if you build one cheaply, that is not the same as possessing a rare, unopened one.

I don't plan on opening my SDCC classic Batmobile, as the parts have little value.
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
    I own a space slug still sealed I might open it one day but without a doubt I'd take the fire brigade it comes down to this if you cant have both take the one youll enjoy more that more than not is going to be the fire brigade but If you can buy both go for it, the space slug seems like a neat little set (though I recommend the SDCC mini dagobah ($100) and Celebration Mini tatooine ($100) over the space slug) 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 634
    Glad my trade offer is stimulating good discussion!  I guess it's pretty clear what I'd rather have.  But if I can't get a set that I would love, I plan to sit on the slug for a long time and see what happens. 
    DarthMorl
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    edited June 2016
    FB for sure. You can knock up a SS for under £30, all the value is in the rarity rather than the desirability as a display piece. Got shot of mine and ended up with a "free" Ewok village after ebay anf paypal fees.

Once opened I guess that SS will be worth a lot less than an opened FB.
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,388
    For me, the value of the bricks in the FB is much more than the cardboard box of the SS.

catwranglerkiki180703DarthMorlmonkeyhangerdougtsBumblepants

You just need to look at the marketplace to see how many people are trying to get rid of one. The value could well go down even if kept pristine and sealed.
    dougts
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    CCC said:

You just need to look at the marketplace to see how many people are trying to get rid of one. The value could well go down even if kept pristine and sealed.
    So, given that logic the German minifigures should just about be free...
    MattsWhatkiki180703
    No, because the German minifigures are moving as there are demand as well as supply posts. Whereas for the Space Slug, they are all supply with very little demand, especially recently.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^but you can't judge SS demand looking at trading within a LUG that had access to it.  That would be like me saying there is no demand for brick seperators as no one around here wanted to trade one with me.  It isn't a fair sample.
    Bricklink has about 25 sold (decents prices too) and about 25 listed for sale (discounting bricklinked versions), seems like it's going OK to me.
    (I'll point out that I would trade mine for a FB, but I don't think that SS is unpopular)
    Not everyone here had access to the Space Slug. Just like not everyone had access to DFB. But many did.

• monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 634
    Judging strictly from Ebay selling prices, SS started out through the roof, dropped significantly, especially when people started building and selling loose pieces, and then recently seems to be trending back up.  No idea what long term outlook is for it.  Will be interesting to see. 
    I also just checked BL prices. The past 6 mo average is ~£150 for new, whereas the current average listed price excluding BL'ed versions and the one crazy seller is about £200. Only two current sellers are below the 6 mo average, so the current sale price is very high compared to the 6 mo average. That leads me to expect that the price will drop if those sellers want to sell them. Of course, there might be a sudden influx of buyers that have just realised the set exists, but often sellers wanting a quick sale will give in before buyers crumble and pay. £150 now for something that was relatively cheap / free depending on interpretation is still a good deal for the seller.

The other strange thing about a set like this compared to many other sets is that the sum of the parts is not worth more than the set. There is not the option to part it out if the set doesn't sell. The value really is in the cardboard, not in the parts.
    monkeyhangerMattDawson
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,347
    Slightly off topic - but how does the Bat-Pod compare in relation to the Space Slug/Fire Brigade comparison?
    mampepin
    CCC said:
    Not everyone here had access to the Space Slug. Just like not everyone had access to DFB. But many did.

This makes no sense.  Long story short, keep your speculation to the Predictions thread.
    Not everyone had access to the Space Slug - if not VIP members, or couldn't access a store. Yet many members did have access.

Not everyone had access to purchase DFB figures - they weren't for sale in the US. But they were for sale across Europe online. So many members did have access.

What is it that makes no sense to you?

Can we really completely compare the Space Slug to the DFB Minifigures? There were a total of 3,500 Space Slugs produced correct? How many cases of DFB Minifigures were produced? The Space Slug was only available to VIP members that belong to a LUG. The DFB Minifigures were not available in the US, but even though they were sold across Europe online, there were many people in Europe were unable to obtain them. I was told that Lego cancelled many online orders. There are just too many factors here. The only thing I can say is that both sets had limited availability. 
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,017

When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting some sort of Godzilla-type MOC but perhaps that's just me....

Personally I'd prefer the Space Slug, although I refuse to pay the current market rate for one.  I'll probably end up Bricklinking it at some point, but it's a shame that it won't have the nice shiny packaging as well! 

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,524
    I opened my space slug to see what was in there, the seal was pretty dodgy and had clearly been applied more than once, so I thought I best check, can't really sell something as new in that state anyway.

Not built it yet but I quite fancy a Dragobah to go with it.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,490
    I opened my space slug to see what was in there, the seal was pretty dodgy and had clearly been applied more than once, so I thought I best check, can't really sell something as new in that state anyway.

Not built it yet but I quite fancy a Dragobah to go with it.
    Any rare or special parts? Easy to BL?
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Jangbricks reviewed the Space Slug set and said there were no special parts in it.  It should be easy to Bricklink.
    natro220 said:
      It should be easy to Bricklink.
    When they get it working properly.
    ^ It is.
    SumoLego
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    CCC said:
    Not everyone had access to the Space Slug - if not VIP members, or couldn't access a store. Yet many members did have access.

Not everyone had access to purchase DFB figures - they weren't for sale in the US. But they were for sale across Europe online. So many members did have access.

What is it that makes no sense to you?

This part, I think.

It assumes that people who shop at Lego stores are VIP members and of those that were VIP members, they belong to a LUG.
    ^ everyone here (in Europe at least) belongs to a LUG.
    CCC said:
    ^ It is.
    Good, I've been waiting to upload some more sets to my store.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    CCC said:
    ^ everyone here (in Europe at least) belongs to a LUG.
    Not quite.  This isn't a members only thread but I get what you're saying.  :)

For what it's worth, many legitimate and regular members here didn't know anything about the event until afterwards.
    Pitfall69MattDawson
    ^ that is the point I was trying to make. If you look at the post I was referring to (mattswhat) I was told you cannot judge demand for a set by looking at trades within a LUG that had access to it. Although in principle all (euro) users using the marketplace could have had access to it many will not have. Hence seeing more people trying to get rid of one than trying to get one is an indication that supply is greater than demand and that prices could well go down because of this.
  • blade_guyblade_guy ManchesterMember Posts: 219
    I would totally swap a set of DFB figures for a FB modular.
    Who wouldn't, lol.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 451
    This is all in all a fascinating discussion, because it goes beyond the face value of either the Space Slug or the Fire Brigade and moves into the realm of perceived value to both you and potential buyers and sellers. The problem with Lego as collectors items is that it is very much a fiat currency: unbacked, and only commands value because we give it value as consumers. (Yes, I get that they are purchased. You could say, though, that being paid is purchasing your time and effort by your employer, at occasionally an arbitrary number when compared to other job opportunities in similar professions.)

I think the problem with the SS is that is has uncommon pieces, at best. A better example would be the SDCC Superman Comics cover where Superman is lifting up the green car: the green roof piece, last I checked, is unique to an already very rare set, meaning you can't reasonably Bricklink it and it's already hard to find. FB doesn't have anything unique to my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't built mine yet) but it's much harder to Bricklink. Which brings me to my next point with this particular trade.

I literally just looked at the parts breakdown for the SS and could have it assembled in one or two PAB or Bricks and Pieces orders for probably under $20 USD.  I did the same thing with my Bat-Pod: it took about $150 total; a very fair price in my opinion given the $2K for a new one- because its a collectors item. Fire Brigade will take you MUCH more money and time.  Modulars are much harder than the Space Slug and even Batpod to get pieces for - I know, as I just finished orders for Market Street and Cafe Corner.

If you have a FB and want to get a Space Slug for investment purposes, I say go for it. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what they should do with their time, money, and hobbies, ever. I have no room to talk with two 3-feet high Lego skyscrapers built for a 12x8 foot city and 4 more designed. Here is a shining example of why caution on Lego investments may be warranted:

There is a Futuron Monorail 6990 on eBay. Price is $3,299. The listing has been up forever, and keeps being relisted. It's mighty expensive......and there are other new/sealed versions of the same set for a fraction of the cost.  You don't want to find yourself on the same end of things when trying to flip the SS in the future.

I apologize if this seemed rambling. My two cents, for what it's worth. 
    pharmjodchuckpDarthMorl
    ^ I read an article that said Lego was worth more than gold.  Definitely not a fiat currency... it's gold!

Also, there are a few parts of the Bat-Pod that are pretty expensive.  (Relatively speaking.)
    pharmjodMattDawsonkiki180703
    MrJackson said:

I literally just looked at the parts breakdown for the SS and could have it assembled in one or two PAB or Bricks and Pieces orders for probably under $20 USD. 
    This is the problem with the SS as an investment. It is very simple to construct from cheap parts. The value is not in the bricks. It is the box that is valuable. The same could well be true of the Superman set, if they release that roof piece in a common set - the total price of the bricks will drop massively, which is usually accompanied by an increase in the price of the box / instructions to keep the set price at what it was.

The (cuusoo/ideas) Mars Rover has gone a similar way. The 6 mo average price for the parts (new) is about £35. And £15 of that is due to just two technic steering arms. The box and manual will cost you about £70 or more, if you can find a new box that is. So that is £35 if you want to build a set, or £100+ if you want to buy the set. The Batpod is similar, again a relatively few expensive parts but it is reasonably cheap to build if you want the build experience; but crazy expensive if you want the box.

It then becomes crazy to open a boxed version. When you can sell the set and buy all the parts three times over, if you don't mind not having the box.
    pharmjodkiki180703ARo2891
    edited June 2016
    CCC said:
    MrJackson said:

I literally just looked at the parts breakdown for the SS and could have it assembled in one or two PAB or Bricks and Pieces orders for probably under $20 USD. 
    This is the problem with the SS as an investment. It is very simple to construct from cheap parts. The value is not in the bricks. It is the box that is valuable. The same could well be true of the Superman set, if they release that roof piece in a common set - the total price of the bricks will drop massively, which is usually accompanied by an increase in the price of the box / instructions to keep the set price at what it was.

The (cuusoo/ideas) Mars Rover has gone a similar way. The 6 mo average price for the parts (new) is about £35. And £15 of that is due to just two technic steering arms. The box and manual will cost you about £70 or more, if you can find a new box that is. So that is £35 if you want to build a set, or £100+ if you want to buy the set. The Batpod is similar, again a relatively few expensive parts but it is reasonably cheap to build if you want the build experience; but crazy expensive if you want the box.

It then becomes crazy to open a boxed version. When you can sell the set and buy all the parts three times over, if you don't mind not having the box.
    Seriously.  Can you please move your opinions to the predictions thread?  I'm all for the open sharing of opinions, but you seem to miss the point that just because you post constantly does not mean that everyone must agree to your points.  

There is a dedicated thread for you to speculate as much as your heart desires.  Please use it.  
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    What? This entire thread is an opinion thread. The OP is asking for opinions. 
    SumoLegoLegopantsCCCTheLoneTensormonkeyhangerPitfall69madforLEGOkiki180703BACbrix
    pharmjod said:
    Nope.  As soon as the discussion turned to investment, it became a speculation thread. 
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited June 2016
    If there is only one set in the last 6 months that could be speculated on for exclusivity, increased value and investment, it's this ugly little thing.  That being said, this thread is all about that, because the OP directly correlated its value to a modular, which, if you go by size alone (and quality), is a bit ridiculous, unless you account for second-market valuation.

Really, I found your multiple posts to be the most distracting and off topic in the whole thread.
    pharmjodLegopantsPitfall69madforLEGOkiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    pharmjod said:
    Nope.  As soon as the discussion turned to investment, it became a speculation thread. 

Speculating is just one way of saying this is my opinion...  According to dictionary.com

Speculate:
    verb (used without object), speculated, speculating.
    1. to engage in thought or reflection; meditate (often followed by on,upon, or a clause).
    2. to indulge in conjectural thought.
    3. to engage in any business transaction involving considerable risk or thechance of large gains, especially to buy and sell commodities, stocks,etc., in the expectation of a quick or very large profit.

So it appears you just have a problem with the third definition of speculating where profit is concerned. 
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    edited June 2016
    In fairness there was an agreement that any discussion of future possible value of sets would be limited to the predictions thread, which at least many of the posters here are fully aware of, despite the snarky comments.

Although, that said I didn't see anything particularly objectionable here, although most of the posts would generally fit better in the predicitons thread.
    ^this. 
    In fairness there was an agreement that any discussion of future possible value of sets would be limited to the predictions thread, which at least many of the posters here are fully aware of, despite the snarky comments.

Although, that said I didn't see anything particularly objectionable here, although most of the posts would generally fit better in the predicitons thread.
    It was my post that he has an issue with and I didn't say anything about future possible values of a set. I made no predictions about its value. I said why it is not necessarily a good set to buy for investment as the value is not in the bricks, it is in the packaging. So only appeals to boxed set collectors. And most of those are going to want a sealed one, hence the comment about open boxes.

But then, I'm not trying to sell one.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited June 2016

No, the "agreement" was that if it was part of a logical, conversational flow, it would be fine.  It was focused on the shopping threads at the time (way back in Jul 2014), but there's no reason why there should be any (reasonable) subject that has to be attacked by thread nazis like this was Eurobricks.
    pharmjodkiki180703datsunrobbie