Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Fire Brigade 10197 missing parts

Comments

• jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 259
    Has anyone else in the UK apart from @flump6523 had any from this batch. From what I can tell most of the people who have had this problem and posted here are from the US? I have a few of these but they are burried and I really don't want to have to dig them out (but I suspect I will have to). Is there any news on when these were produced or roughly the time period they were sold?
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    So maybe my approach was a bit preemptive but like I said, I didn't really feel it was right to just return a damaged box which I got a discount for through another company to LEGO. I also didn't want to be waiting on a small bag that in the end could just be counted as some extra pieces. I also had a feeling that through Amazon warehouse it could be an open box/return so I didn't want to risk it. I just mentioned the pieces missing from the list earlier to narrow down the bag.
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I just stumbled into this thread. I was in a similar situation the other day when I bought a SW Clone Turbo Tank. It was missing not 1, not 2, but 3 bags. And it was sealed with all security tape in place. Basically it had bags 1-4 but there was supposed to be a second bag 2,3, and 4. At first they were going to send me the missing bags but then I also noticed some pieces that were missing from the second bag I had. I'd never seen a Lego set so screwed up, nor had he apparently. They wound up sending me a label to send the set back to them and shipping out a replacement that same day.

Weird stuff, the set couldn't have been tampered with. Must have been a problem with packaging. The mini fig bag (1) was there and complete. Must say though, Lego customer service was great.
    So my 10197 just got here. I think my hunch was correct. The one I bought was selling with "slight box damage" but I saw the tabs were opened and resealed (can't make out the batch number because of it). When I emptied out the box there were some loose bricks in the box (grrroan). That's when I discovered all the # 1 bags and the manual/baseplate bags were retaped (not very well it seems) and the # 2 bags were all sealed. Anybody want to guess what happened? Lol. I just hope there are no other missing pieces now thanks to the shitty repackaging.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2012
    ^ Wow, I would not take "slight box damage, item in excellent condition" to mean "box opened, bags opened and taped back up, and loose bricks in the box." Shame on amazon for the poor description.

But hopefully nothing else is missing, still. I guess mine will be the same, I should probably just call Lego now...

Edited - I notice now that amazon has one listing as "Item may come repackaged, packaging may show signs of wear." That's a better description of what you received.
    To be fair, it wasn't Amazon but the Amazon Warehouse which I'm told is a 3rd party, but still. I'm pretty sure when Amazon unloaded they understood that parts were missing so a little sketchy yeah. There was another Warehouse 10197 that said "Item may be repackaged" so perhaps I just got sent that one instead.

I would call them.
    The funny thing is the box is in excellent condition. Haha. I don't care in the end as long as I have everything I need to build it at some point.
    It's true that it's not Amazon, but I think the Amazon Warehouse are still fulfilled by Amazon (and they certainly don't make it look like they're separate entities), so it's a wee bit sketchy of them.

I don't really care either, I just want to build it and not pay $150 for it, haha. It'll be here tomorrow or Friday so I'll probably just wait and see what shows up. I have several other things to build first anyway, so it doesn't really matter if it takes a few weeks.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    I called Lego and they are sending me a bag of parts for the one I opened. The rest will go back to Amazon.
    Amazon gave me a partial refund.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    intromission-that was nice of Amazon...I love their customer service.
    I was not expecting it. I have to agree.
    That's great! I would not have expected that either, return on their dime sure, but not a discount.
    edited January 2012
    They offered a return refund first but I explained I wanted to keep it and had already done the work of contacting LEGO and obtaining the missing pieces. I guess it's something to think about should you find yourself in a similar situation with the one on its way.
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 245
    Not sure if this means anything, but went to TRU flagship in NYC and they had some FB sets. I noticed that they had 2 seals: 39R1 and 51R1 on the same box. Wonder if LEGO fixed these and relabeled them. Those that recently ordered, you may want to check.
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    anyone try to bring the offending box into a lego store? to get a replacement? for me that would be my easiest way to fix the problem since i bought it at [email protected]

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    About two weeks ago I swapped out 4 sets of 39R1 for 4 sets of 44R1, they were happy to do it...
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    okay thanks for the information, that is where i will be going soon
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    I swapped mine at Lego about a month ago but in all my weekly trips since I have not seen any there.
    Well, I can beat intromissions's amazon warehouse experience.

The one I purchased said "Packaging may have minor damage. Item is in excellent condition."

What I received was an opened and re-taped box (fine, I expected that), containing a wad of empty plastic bags (all the bag 1s), a ziploc bag full of lego pieces, unopened bag 2s, baseplates loose in the box, and NO INSTRUCTIONS.

NOT what I would consider excellent condition, no? I'm furious.
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Talk to them. They will try to offer you a partial refund (15%) of the order or a return for a full refund. You can press them for more by asking what the maximum partial refund is under their policy. They'll offer you 25% of the order. That's what I did. Or see if you can get a new one straight from Amazon for your troubles.

Maybe someone has a suggestion on where to get the instructions at a good price? The missing pieces you're covered for from LEGO.

Good luck.

I'd like to know if it really is Amazon operating the Warehouse Deals because that just makes it extra shady when they know why it was returned. And if they are passing the problem along to some 3RD party are they letting that 3RD party know or is Warehouse Deals selling bad stock with the knowledge?

Curious stuff.
    For 25% off I'd be willing to deal with sorting out the giant ziploc bag and dealing with any missing pieces (in some ways that would even be fun), but geez, how do you sell something as "like new" with no instructions?? It says on the main warehouse page that everything is inspected and repackaged, so somewhere something is definitely shady. Either they're not inspecting like they say, or they're knowingly sending out bad stock.

I'm still furious so I just want to send it back and drive up the lego store tomorrow to buy a new perfect one, but once I calm down I will keep the 25% discount or trying to talk them into a new one instead. Thank you for mentioning that!

My 5 year old was all excited about opening it and just kept asking "mommy, why did they send us trash?" (the empty bags)
    Haha. Yeah exactly. If you do end up keeping it another plus is that LEGO will be kind enough to send you something small to entertain your 5 year old while you wait for the bags. Someone had mentioned it earlier in the thread and LEGO did indeed offer something for the inconvenience as well so don't be embarrassed to hint at it. The LEGO customer service folks are pretty solid.
  • dk1007dk1007 Member Posts: 49
    Recently I purchase the 10197 at my local lego store. It was label 39R1 on one side, and the other has a different number label. I can't remember exactly the number, but its something like "51??". You can clearly see that it was open and re-sealed with new serial tape. At first I was skeptic that someone might just opened it and put other set serial tape on it. I inspect 4 of them at the store, they are all the same way. I think lego has gone through the set to make sure they are ok and resealed. Just make sure you check both side of the box.
    I ended up emailing Amazon (I was cranky enough that I didn't want to risk being rude on the phone), and they didn't offer any kind of refund, just a return label. So I'm taking that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be from amazon. They did reply quickly, I'll give them that.

I'll probably just pick one up from the lego store instead - of course now I wish I hadn't already used the 10% coupon at someone here so generously gave me! Oops.

Also, apologies for the numerous missing words in the original post above! Apparently typing while angry doesn't work so well, ha.
    Try Amazon chat.
    ^ I did, and they had the same response. I actually asked if they could exchange for a full price and they said no, too. Oh well. I didn't pursue the discount further, because I would still need to track down the instructions and parts list, wait for that, then inventory, then contact Lego, etc etc.

Though I may actually reorder a full price one from Amazon, hope that it's a 39R1 with missing pieces, and hope that Lego send my daughter a small freebie set, lol.

My original plan was to wait a while to build it, but now of course I want to build it NOW...

Anyway. While the Warehouse Deals seem somewhat shady at best, Amazon did take care of it and apologized. But I certainly won't be buying used Lego from them anymore!

Thank you for listening to me vent.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    @herekittykitty: Just curious... How much of a discount was it for the used FB set @ Amazon Warehouse?
    It was $134 instead of $149.
    It was 134.99 instead of 149.99, so $15. A decent discount, but given what I ended up with, not worth it. I'd only do it if you know going into it that you may end up missing parts (and instructions) and you're willing to argue with them for 25% off.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    A couple of people here have mentioned/complained about the baseplates being loose in the box. This is how mine was and I bought it from a Lego store. Are they supposed to be in separate packaging or something?
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Mine were loose too.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    ^^ Loose
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    Mine has a strange batch number, 02SO. I opened it last night, and it seems to be missing the parts listed earlier in this thread. I'm going to build it tomorrow just to make sure, but I can't se the golden helmets anywhere (some other things I looked for also seems to be missing).
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    @Duchessa, for me the gold helmets and such were inside a little bag, within a bigger bag. Look for that.

(I have no idea how much packaging like this varies between sets and batch numbers)
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Haha! Same for me again! Helmets in a bag within a bag.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @ Duchessa I have one with the same batch number.It is just an older batch. I purchesed it in Nov of 2010.
  • ENeuman600ENeuman600 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I got the UCS Super Destroyer 10221 that we build the set and then open the box 3 and process the building and found missing piece for bag number 6 then I had order the report missing piece for replacement total of about 150 pieces. Last few days received the missing pieces and build it and found there are lot of extra pieces around 80 pieces.

Sound like they put double bag of #6 and missing whole one bag number 6.

I wonder anyone out there had same problem for set 10221 for this type batch?

EN
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    @JP3804 and @Odindusk - I hope you're right! We'll see if I find them tomorrow when I build the set. But I haven't seen them yet even if I searched for them...
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I just got my FB from my store today and it had the two different batch stickers on it. 39R1 and 51R1. I asked an employee about it and she said that all the 39R1 sets were opened and inspected in the warehouses to determine which were bad. Apparently all the stores in my area never received any bad batches. I wonder if the stock currently in amazon has been inspected as well. Has anyone received a good set from amazon yet?
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    edited January 2012
    Posted AGAIN on Amazon today

LEGO Creator Fire Brigade 10197
    by LEGO

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Wow, makes you wonder...

What if Amazon has 10,000 FB, all batch 39R1?
  • louislegolouislego Member Posts: 17
    I just got an RMA from Amazon for a 39R1 set. I wanted to keep this as an "investment," so can't request a replacement bag from LEGO, as I figure that would bring the resale price down in the future. What would such a listing look like?

MISB (except one separate little bag)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    No wonder Amazon removed the listing. I was looking for it furiously.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    @louislego It depends who buys it. Knowing the problem, I would think at worst case I get the full set with one bag outside the box. Best case, I get the full set missing no pieces with an extra bag of pieces as a bonus. I can see the majority of people not wanting to take the risk though.
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 41
    It is interesting that as a thank you for a large Bricklink parts order from Poland I received some small bags of parts as a bonus. One of them had two gold helmets along with a reasonable amount of other bricks!
  • drakusdrakus Member Posts: 16
    Ok so I got my missing parts bag today from Lego (took 2 weeks from Denmark). Wow! I did not expect to see such a big bag with so many parts. Lego must have pulled their hairs over this one.
  • louislegolouislego Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone made a new Amazon order in the last couple of days since the FB was put back on sale for the 2nd time?
    Got my bag yesterday.
    edited February 2012
    Has anyone made a new Amazon order in the last couple of days since the FB was put back on sale for the 2nd time?
    I have one coming tomorrow (ordered Monday night), I'll report when it's here.

I fully expect that it'll be a 39R1, but I'd be very happy to discover otherwise! I have high sales tax and some amazon gift cards, so it was cheaper to order that way and deal with it, rather than just buying from my local Lego store. (Even with the whole Amazon Warehouse Deals snafu a couple of weeks ago.)