Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building on the move?

Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
edited May 2016 in Building and Techniques
Does anyone carry around any of their Lego collection to build on the move? 

Back in the day Lego sold the X Pods for builders to have little set of parts they could carry around with them, but I didn't see anything comparable in the current lineup.

If you do, what do you carry with you and in what?

For those that don't would you consider doing it for those moments of inspiration? Suppose I'm thinking of it as akin to an artist carrying a sketchbook

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    But a sketchbook and pencil isn't very big.  Enough elements to do something meaningful would require a car to be with me at all times!
    I do carry a sketch book with me sometimes - when I have an idea then I can make a note of it and build it later (although I do use it for actual drawing too.  But it's not with me most of the time, just on holiday and such.
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    That's pretty much the problem i have! But if someone around here has some sort of solution....

LDD et al are the best portable (digital) solution I've found but it relies on having a device that runs it to hand. Or rather that the device to hand runs it suitably.

Mecabricks on my phone isnt the best for instance
    davetheoxygenman
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 623
    In my experience, simply bringing Lego out of the designated building/storage area of the house, much less in the car or airplane, is an invitation for all the parts to "grow legs" and disappear...
    SprinkleOtterMattDawsonmonstblitz
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    Get a microscale kit (biggest bricks allowed 2x2, although a couple of larger plates for bases) and a small box to put them in. Ideal for travel.

catwrangler
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,406
    I've been known to build the odd set in the car when on a break. I've also taken to sorting bulk buys in the car.

As for carrying some around to build when inspiration hits, nope. Don't think I could find the time.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 729
    I did start building #8880 Super car I received Christmas morning on the back seat while heading along the M4 from Slough to Fulham for Christmas lunch. 

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^that's frowned upon when your driving isn't it? You want to be careful you don't get pulled over.
    GothamConstructionCoTheOriginalSimonBSprinkleOtter
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,809
    Great thread idea!

In my late teens, I used to bring Lego into hospital with me for lengthy admissions (being a 17-year-old girl with a Lego collection was by far the least weird/embarrassing thing about me, in that context) - once, there was a vinyl case I used to carry around a couple of sets that lent themselves well to MOCing, and another time I had a Technic multi-model set in a Tupperware box (that worked less well; I've learned I'm not a great Technic MOCer). I think the fear of losing pieces was far less alarming than the horror of being away for weeks without any Lego to fiddle with! 

I think that with the right container it'll be secure enough. A couple of things to watch out for:

- It shouldn't jerk when you open any clasps that keep it shut; any jerk on opening can make pieces fly everywhere.
    - If it's a hinged case, it needs to have a very tight seal on the hinge side - I used a plastic suitcase (originally intended for a NES and accessories) to store/carry my Technic around the house for years, but the seams of the two halves tended to overlap on the hinged side, so the tiniest pieces were prone to escaping. 

A flat suitcase-type deal can be handy because you can easily spread out pieces and build inside it, but if you go for something deeper, like a lidded food-saver box, you could always put in a small baseplate too. 
    tallblocktooDon
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028

I do have some LEGO "doodle kits" I take around. They are basically small sets that I keep together in their original packaging, and mess around with when I have a bit of free time either at home or away from home.

The old LEGO Creator Mini sets were perfect for this. They are small 3-in-1 sets in their own small plastic container with a very secure lid. They are perfect for taking anywhere for a quick building session.

The included models themselves are very sweet, and I have also challenged myself with them in different ways; fastest to build the included models, building the included models from memory, building alternate models with all the pieces included, having a building contest with others, etc. There are sixteen sets in the collection, and even after all these years of playing with them I still find them fun.

I made a BrickList for those of you how are not familiar with this collection: http://brickset.com/sets/list-15485

There are other small sets great for quick projects, but unfortunately LEGO now rarely makes sturdy reusable boxes, so you would have to get your own container.

catwranglerTufted_ducktallblocktoobandit778
    I wonder why they stopped doing those/why sets-in-a-reusable-case aren't a bigger thing. Maybe the Juniors suitcases work well for kids in that age-group, but older kids don't want to carry something like that around. Or perhaps when they do it tends to be something very specific (like with the Slizer pods or Bionicle cans - didn't Hero Factory have pods, too?)
    I wonder why they stopped doing those/why sets-in-a-reusable-case aren't a bigger thing. Maybe the Juniors suitcases work well for kids in that age-group, but older kids don't want to carry something like that around. Or perhaps when they do it tends to be something very specific (like with the Slizer pods or Bionicle cans - didn't Hero Factory have pods, too?)

It might be cost related. I'm not an expert on the subject, but my guess is that plastic containers (and they have also done tin containers) are more expensive than simple cardboard. There were other collections in very similar small containers as well; small race cars and Bionicle are some that I remember seeing.

The Juniors suitcases are actually really awesome. They may be a bit too big to carry around on trips, but they make perfect and very sturdy storage containers for small specialty parts that I want to keep separate from my regular storage. I have two, and I use one for minifigs parts, and the other for greebling parts.

They are! I picked one up in a charity shop not long ago, and I was pleased with the sturdiness and space it offered - I'll probably use it to keep my light and sound bricks separate from the rest, because after the messy deaths of a couple of old space shuttle assemblies, I like to test them regularly to check the batteries still work/haven't corroded!
    They are! I picked one up in a charity shop not long ago, and I was pleased with the sturdiness and space it offered - I'll probably use it to keep my light and sound bricks separate from the rest, because after the messy deaths of a couple of old space shuttle assemblies, I like to test them regularly to check the batteries still work/haven't corroded!

Yeah, I really like them too. I bought some extra separators for both suitcases on BrickLink to create the maximum number of separate spaces. BTW, the suitcase are made by Room Copenhagen, the same company that makes other high LEGO branded storage solutions. I always keep an eye out for their products because they are great.
    catwrangler
    Had forgotten about the creator mini sets. Got one kicking around somewhere so will have to investigate 
    @catwrangler ;

Something like this? If so- awesome! 
    @Tufted_duck It was actually this - it used to have a moulded plastic insert for the NES, lightgun, controls and a few games, but I ripped that out pretty soon to accommodate the Technic! When I abandoned it recently, my partner pounced on it to keep his sketches in...
    Thats still cool. And reuse and repurpose is better than chucking out! 
    catwrangler
    akunthita said: BTW, the suitcase are made by Room Copenhagen, the same company that makes other high LEGO branded storage solutions. I always keep an eye out for their products because they are great.
    Thanks for the heads up. Will give them a look. Havent seen any of the Junior suitcases as it happens but will make a point of doing so.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Some one on a "mid life crisis gap year" trip to world heritage sites carried with her a couple of small plastic boxes with parts and created and photographed microscale models of some of the sites she visited.  Very cool:

https://midlifecrisisgapyear.wordpress.com/ 

catwranglerTufted_duck
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    A clone brand in the 90s, I'm fairly sure megabloks, used to sell bricks in clear boxes, I guess about 2*2.5*6 inches. The lids slide off and turned into a plate. I had a couple of used ones at one stage and these were great for travel. I cannot find them now though.

cmrt1014 said:
    Some one on a "mid life crisis gap year" trip to world heritage sites carried with her a couple of small plastic boxes with parts and created and photographed microscale models of some of the sites she visited.  Very cool:

https://midlifecrisisgapyear.wordpress.com/ 

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that blog. Fun idea. 
    edited June 2016
    CCC said:
    A clone brand in the 90s, I'm fairly sure megabloks, used to sell bricks in clear boxes, I guess about 2*2.5*6 inches. The lids slide off and turned into a plate. I had a couple of used ones at one stage and these were great for travel. I cannot find them now though.

The box with a sliding baseplate lid sounds useful. Might have a go at building a box with some spare wood parts lying around for a plate to slide into.

Anyone got any idea on parts inventory though? Some must have pieces? Obviously the small end of the parts and arent they all useful in some way...