Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

German Footballer CMFs - Dot Codes

martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
Hi All,

Just wondering, to those with open sets of German Footballer Minifigures, can someone have a go at trying to link the dot codes to the player?

I want to do my best to work out the contents of the packets I have without opening (at least initially).

Thanks

Martyn

Comments

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,484
    This will possibly change from shipment to shipment, depending on the production code. Which is also printed on the packet. If you post your dots please also post the other code at the same time.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    I was hoping that with a relatively small product run (No US sales and limited in Europe) we may only have one set of dot codes. I will try to work out what I have based on box distribution and try to publish something but if somebody has the dots for an open set it would be much appreciated.

Hopefully we can use the manager to verify.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,952
    I wonder if there is enough variance in the weights to be able to identify them reliably?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2016
    ^maybe (but only if you have pretty damn sweet gear) on your own, but the difference would be far to small to rely on my calibration against yours (even if we both had equipment accurate enough).
    I could measure down to 0.001g at work. 
    But like you say the calibration of my scales will be slightly different to yours. :)
    Unless we calibrate from the same standard weights, at the same atmospheric pressure and humidity, at the same place on earth to remove any variance from gravity.
    Although at those weights any air currents would also affect the reading.

The real problem is that multiple figures use the same hair piece. :)
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    Venunder said:
    I could measure down to 0.001g at work. 
    But like you say the calibration of my scales will be slightly different to yours. :)
    Unless we calibrate from the same standard weights, at the same atmospheric pressure and humidity, at the same place on earth to remove any variance from gravity.
    Although at those weights any air currents would also affect the reading.

The real problem is that multiple figures use the same hair piece. :)
    But the printing is different- if you measure small enough, you can totally tell the difference ;)
    ^do they always pack the same amount of air in each packet?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,933
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    BumblepantsMattsWhatkiki180703adukbrumey
    Calibration is irrelevant, as long as you have a large sample to plough through and heavier ones give larger numbers :) Probably not the kind of thing to do in a shop, though!
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,857
    edited May 2016
    I've done the dot codes within a box, there were two pairs which were impossible to distinguish, but they had different hair. I've checked and it was all correct. However, when I compared the ones from the box with loose ones from another source, they didn't always match up.

This is my first time checking these and Im not sure how I can share the info. Pictures will be difficult with the blackness of I all. It was really though to distinguish, with air bubbles and stuff, you had to hold under different lights. It was a cool experiment, but I won't be trying it again I think.

I can try and take some pictures tomorrow, but not sure how useful they'd be...
    martynLego_StarLegoboykiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    I can only suggest using a CD marker or something similar to highlight the dots on the packaging so they'd show up in a photo, but then I don't know how light/dark the packaging on these minifigs is...
    Calibration is irrelevant, as long as you have a large sample to plough through and heavier ones give larger numbers :) Probably not the kind of thing to do in a shop, though!
    Your large sample would have to have at least one of each, so would need to be a sealed box.  If you used a combination of weight and dot codes (you could sort the dot codes into the distribution numbers) then it would be easy*

(*not particularly easy)
    Ok, I have just knocked up a word template (hopefully attached) including an example of the dot codes I have for the Mermaid in the Disney CMF's.

If you don't mind @snowhitie can you fill this in (you will need to change the production code) for the figures you have, maybe adding the players name or shirt number.

Hopefully easier than photos

Many Thanks
    ^ I will have a look tomorrow on my laptop.
    MattsWhat said:
    Your large sample would have to have at least one of each, so would need to be a sealed box.  If you used a combination of weight and dot codes (you could sort the dot codes into the distribution numbers) then it would be easy*

(*not particularly easy)
    Yes, hence a large sample :) I think I tried to do something like this years ago (possibly with the Team GB CMFs?) and it was easy to determine the lightest and heaviest packets, with everything else fitting somewhere in between. Doesn't matter if the scales are calibrated or not, as long as they are consistently out by the same amount :)

Even with 0.01g scales, there were a couple of bags that were hard to distinguish. I suspect most of the German football CMFs might be too similar to distinguish by weight, as there were some much more varied parts and accessories in Team GB.
    My figures arrived very quickly.
    I only seem to have 4 duplicates.
    But even though they all have the same production code of 14885, the dot codes for the manager seem to be the same as for a footballer. I can feel the 2x2 pitch plan in a couple, and footballs in the other two. 

Unfortunately the dots are sometimes not in exactly the same position in relation to the edges of the bag. But in the same batch the relative position and number of dots is usually the same.
    Without using the same font as the bags, some of the lettering in both lines of text are just slightly out of position in relation to each other but the bottom line of text is usually my main reference and the dots should be positioned correctly in relation to that. This is just my transitional guide. I will post an update later when I confirm who is in which bag. 

snowhitie
  • Mr_PogleMr_Pogle Member Posts: 13
    Just as an aside, TLG appear to not want us to open these........ there's no scissor 'cut-guide' on the packets lol
    SumoLegokiki180703
    edited May 2016
    ^  Maybe TLG is just assuming the folks in Germany are smarter and don't need ridiculous instructions.

(Which we do need in the North American market.  I don't know how many times I broke Lego CMF pieces using my machete cutting it down he middle of the pack.)
    kiki180703Lego_StarTheOriginalSimonB
    You mean you cut your bags open? 
    We just tear them open, Up North, where it is grim, in the UK. :)
    snowhitieTheOriginalSimonBkiki180703
    Okay, when I open the .docx document I can only see typed words - maybe it has to do with the fact I use Open Office, although usually that doesn't make a difference.

I looked at @Venunder, and although my production number is different, the coach is the same - the other one with that dot code was Neuer. I don't know if you could send me that document with it not filled in so that I can add my dots and names, maybe just a jpeg and I'll use paint? I do have to say, when I looked at them, I did it on the back cause that was easier, but to report on them it's easier with the words.

I started adding names to Venunder's document, but then some don't match up, or are just a fraction different, so not much use me thinks.

• sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 455
    I only get a JPG not a *.docx.

I always sort via the dots, and I can confirm the dots change per serial number.

I have seen german football figures with 249B5, 349B5 and 449B5 serial numbers, all with subtly different dot codes.

I have some boxes of 449B5, and my experience shows we have 4 pairs of figures with very similar dots.

I have found the dots the same for

Low and Neuer. You can resolve by one has a football the other doesn't
    Howedes and Mustafi. One has spikey hair the other doesn't
    Hummels and Boateng. One has spikey hair the other doesn't
    Schweinsteiger and Gotze. Very hard to tell the hair types apart.

As for other serial numbers I have found Low and Neuer to be the same dots and Schweinsteiger and Gotze, but not the others.

Lego_Starkiki180703
    Ok so I have done a first pass at my box (production code 448B5) and have the following. Based on the distributions out there I am one short on #16 and have one too many of the x4 figures, but the dots and hair match on all of these so I am struggling now:

Note: I find it easier to look for dots on the back of the packets, where there is less writing.
    Found the missing packet and it looks like it is a #16 in the chart above. Just need to tie these to players now and open a set
    I tend to read the back of the pack and then locate the dots on the front next to the text. 
    From the notes here and after taking another look it would seem that my production code should be 148B5. I also had to reposition the code slightly.
    A closer look has found a few smaller secondary dots on some packs and the one with a single dot was very variable so I actually have 4 of that Mario Gotz. :(
    I only have the named characters for now, but I still have to swap with some friends in Nottingham. I will not be able to swap with other people until after next weekend.

Perhaps we ought to consult a professional.

CM4Sbobabrickskiki180703ricecake
    edited May 2016
    So I have now opened one of each dot code above and got a set of 16 without duplicates, so if you have production run 448B5 there is a pretty good chance of knowing the figures from the dot code chart. I have updated it with the names of the figures added. Many thanks to everyone who helped, chuffed I have a full set opened and two full sets still sealed and identified. 

• caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 385
    Reus is the same for batch 249B5.  Reckon I've 6 of them out of 32!  Haven't opened any others yet, but can feel Low, and he's also the same as above too.
    martyn
    I would like to know where all the Kramers, Boatengs and Howedes have gone. Nobody seems to be trading them. 
    They are so scarce Ebay sellers are asking high prices for them...