Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do I get my wife to appreciate Lego?

2»

Comments

• Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Buy her a Lego rose, it never wilts. 
    MattDawson
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 570
    Have children! My budget has tripled now we have 2 kids. 
    cheshirecatDedgeckokiki180703Goldchains
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 83
    I think the issue sounds like she appreciates LEGO, she just doesn't appreciate LEGO as much as you do :-)  I suspect that's the case of many of us AFOLs who are married.

My husband comes with me to the LEGO store.  He generally carries the packages when we leave.  He always tells me "you don't need that, because you have sets at home you haven't built yet" but he never stops me from buying what I want.  :-)  I'm fortunate in that he also doesn't mind that I've taken over the dining room table with my recent builds for reviews.

He came with me to the Inside Tour last year and really had a good time, even participating in the MOC competition.  But none of it has sparked the interest in LEGO in him.  And that's okay.
    bandit778kiki180703Salamalex
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,567
    MaffyD said:
    They say "happy wife, happy life," but I like to edit it to include the husband side of the coin as well...Happy Spouse, Happy House.

I agree completely with this sentiment, but spouse does not rhyme with house. Something about the 's' sound at the end...

At least, the way I pronounce it anyway!

'Spouse' rhymes with 'moose' or 'Seuss'?

Or like 'espouse'?  

Happy Spouse, Happy Cows?
    brumeySprinkleOtterkiki180703pharmjod
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    What everyone has said above.  Just treat her well, appreciate her and show some enthusiasm/interest for a hobby of her own.
    mustang69kiki180703Mordoor
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,529
    My wife has recently started building with our grandson. She's been quite supportive of my LEGO obsession, watching bag after bag of used parts accumulate and slowly emerge as built sets, but until last week she was really not into building stuff herself.

That all changed when I stumbled across this LaserPegs set https://shop.laserpegs.com/product/national-geographic-landmarks-archaeology/
    for $5. It has a ridiculously large set of instructions for building a pyramid, and the LEGO-compatible parts are mainly very basic creator-style 2x bricks and plates. I showed it to her when I brought it home, mentioned that it needed batteries, and left it sitting on the table. Much to my surprise, the next day she installed batteries and built the pyramid while I was at work. She's built more in a week with that off-brand set than she did in a year with genuine LEGO, and interest in real LEGO has also seen a dramatic upswing. The lighting effects and simple builds got her hooked.

catwrangler
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 373
    My wife actually uses "LEGO Therapy" at her school (in the UK) and she has explained it to me and I think it is great and so does she, but getting her to agree to it being all over the house is another issue..... 14 years together and I'm still working on it!

In case you have no idea what LEGO therapy is click http://www.building-skills.org/
    stluxcatwrangler