Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your pcs/hr?

DatoDato Member Posts: 111
edited December 2011 in Building and Techniques
Have you ever timed how long it took you to build a set? What was your pieces/hour? I know it depends on the complexity of the set. Still, it would be interesting to see how fast people can build.

Comments

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    I might have to gauge mine in pcs/wk. :o)
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    Well, I build at a leisurely pace while I'm watching a Football game or something. If I knew I was being timed, I'd probably bang a set out a lot faster than usual.
    My last large build was the Fire Brigade and that took me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I usually like to build while watching tv or something so I have never timed myself. I think it would take away from the fun to just race through it. I can build an average 1000 piece set in an hour or so I would guess. Of course that depends on what I am watching and how interesting it is.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I almost always build the larger sets slowly. I finish a page of the instructions and then leave it for a while... heck, I've had a 1/3rd built Fire Brigade for well over a year... lol

Brent
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    I am a shockingly slow builder. I love to savour every building step, and am quite happy to allow the build to drag on for weeks in the case of a big model like the UCS Falcon so I can enjoy it for as long as possible. And I never build watching TV or anything else - I like to relish the experience undisturbed.
  • kw1980kw1980 Member Posts: 48
    The only set i sort of timed was the Death Star which took me about 25 hours but a large chunk of that was sorting out all the pieces.
    Just out of curiosity, when would you start the clock? As soon as you cut the tape on the box? Or could you separate and organize the bricks first? So the clock starts as soon as you snap the first two bricks together? ;-)
    edited December 2011
    I would never time myself - it isn't a race - but for me the pleasure starts from the moment I see pictures on the 'net, then source the set, carefully open it, sort the pieces by size and type etc.. Lots to enjoy before you put any bricks together, not least because it builds the sense of anticipation.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    I wonder if there's any LEGO speed building contest? Every contestant starts with a sealed box. It should be fun.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited December 2011
    ^ There are, and it can be quite fun, particularly if it is done in teams
    ^ I've seen it - it's rubbish.

:-)

I've done one speed build and hated every moment....
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    ^ Based on your posts above, I imagine your team was none too pleased with you either! ;o)
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    My Lego set building is an escape from the time clock and other responsibilities, just a way to relax and be creative. Timing myself sounds too much like work, i.e.. productivity reports and deliverables.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I am a shockingly slow builder. I love to savour every building step, and am quite happy to allow the build to drag on for weeks in the case of a big model like the UCS Falcon so I can enjoy it for as long as possible. And I never build watching TV or anything else - I like to relish the experience undisturbed.
    Same here. What's more, I have very limited working space on my desk. And I think building a set is the second most prized part of owning Legos.

^ Based on your posts above, I imagine your team was none too pleased with you either! ;o)
    You're right - we certainly didn't win, that's for sure.

:-)

• JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Funnily enough I have actually timed 3 builds inadvertantly.
    They were Apple Tree House, Family Home and Hillside House.
    I was going page by page and then taking a photo for time lapse.
    They all took roughly 2-2.5hours so it wasn't just a straight build as such but if that helps....
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    My father in law and I have done races with the mini creator kits before. I'm about 3 times as fast as him! No idea the speed though. But it's a fun little game :)
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    I've thought about this quite a bit, although clearly it depends what sort of set and how well sorted the parts are. For a new set where the pieces are already pre-sorted in the bags (I tend to tip them out into small piles by individual bag) then I reckon up to about 1000 pcs/hr. That stacks up for me, which is a piece about every 4 seconds. That would be going fast though; for a build I wanted to savour more it would take longer. So for something like the DS, I remember it taking about 6-7 hours over three days.

If it's a set I've already built a few times and am reconstructing then I tend to try to build quickly - e.g. building a series of sets for display - I can usually do a ca. 500 piece set in about 30mins.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 838
    I find that the size of the set and level of sorting makes a HUGE difference. For me at least, the bigger the set the slower my piece rate is-- a lot of time (especially in the beginning) is spent sorting, looking for pieces, or both. Once the pile of pieces starts thinning out, it becomes much easier to find the piece you're looking for.

Also, with newer instructions (last 10 years or so), it's been difficult to tell the color of the pieces from the instruction booklet. Especially with black vs. dark gray, or blue vs. dark blue, or a few other particular color combinations. Often, I'll find myself looking for a dark gray element, and I'll be at the point of giving up until I realize "Oh, right, it's supposed to be black." As the build continues, I get a bit better at it, as I sort of get into more of a groove of finding which elements are what colors.

Generally, I'm a pretty fast builder, but it often depends on what else is going on. For large sets like the ISD or Millennium Falcon, I like to try and build them all in "one session", if possible, or at least in one day-- so I race through them. But with your standard 200-500 piece set, I won't race through them.

But with small sets, I often like to challenge myself to build them as much as possible WITHOUT instructions-- just using the images on the box. And that obviously goes at a much slower pace.

DaveE
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    small 100 piece sets about 15-20 mins with instructions obviously and 100% focus. Built the ucs shuttle in 6hrs (with short breaks every so often and again full attension) so that's about the same ratio I guess (no sorting of pieces but were kinda sorted already in bags also took my time on gear system as recommended by the guy at the lego store) so maybe 400 an hour, thought I was quite quick with building until I read others comments on here but might actually take my time going forwad to savour.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 838
    edited January 2012
    Out of curiosity, I timed myself while building various sets to see roughly what my "pieces per hour" would be. I used various sets that I got for Christmas, and started the timer from the moment I cut the tape on the box, and stopped when the last piece was assembled. ... So, it includes box and bag opening time, as well as time spent flipping through instruction booklets. However, I should note that it does NOT include sticker application, because I rarely (if ever) apply stickers:

3300002 - 117 pieces - 00:07:25 (946.5 pph)
    5883 - 136 pieces - 00:09:46 (835.5 pph)
    5885 - 271 pieces - 00:19:22 (839.6 pph)
    7961 - 479 pieces - 00:40:01 (718.2 pph)
    7985 - 685 pieces - 00:51:06 (804.3 pph)
    7962 - 810 pieces - 00:54:16 (895.6 pph)
    10223 - 1575 pieces - 01:42:32 (921.7 pph)

And the average (depending on how you count it) came out to roughly 851.6 - 859.1 pieces per hour. Or, about 1 piece every 4.2 seconds.

I definitely noted that the complexity of the building affected my time. Things with brick-and-plate built sections went pretty quickly, while things with technic connections were slower.

DaveE
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    I'm a fairly fast builder. I don't normally time myself but I do recall back in 2003 reading on a forum that someone said they took over an hour to build a particular set while another person had said they did it in forty-five minutes. When I bought it, I figured I had an hour to kill which I could either use to go to the grocery store or build the set. I figured I had the time so I started building. Fifteen minutes later I was done and cursed myself since I now no longer had enough time to head to go to the store but also had nothing left to build.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,437
    I have never timed myself building sets on a stopwatch, I do it at my leisure. I don't see the point timing myself. I always only start building after having held the box in both hands, turning it over studying the box from all sides relishing at the pictures of the set. Then gently with the aid of a sharp big kitchen knife, I slice through the little plastic seals, open the flaps, after which I let all bags slide out of the box, while intently listening to that familiar swooshing sound while the bagged Lego bricks part with the box and I set my first site on them. Next, I sort through the bags and carefully start cutting them all open with a pair of scissors. then I usually start assembling the minifigs. Then it is time to turn to the manual, and the real sorting of bricks etc. and only then can the actual building commence.

The medieval market village set (10193), which I bought twice from lego.com, took rather long to build. Mainly because you spend so much time sorting all the different bricks, since the bags aren't numbered. Both times it took me, I guess about two and half up to three hours (maybe even a little longer), chilling out, sitting on the floor with bricks scattered about all around me.

The largest set I own is the Imperial Flag ship (10210), that set I build while watching the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies on DVD on a lazy grey rainy day, during the last Christmas holidays. Taking some brakes in between to drink and eat something, while watching a bunch of swashbuckling pirates on the screen. Again this set did not have any numbered bags either. It took me from start to finish almost as long as the running time of the first three PotC movies, exchanging one DVD after the next as soon as the movie was finished. So in total mmmmmmh.. I'd say about 6 hours.

Maybe it is because I am not really into technic Lego (the look of most of the models don't really appeal to me, and they don't include minifig's), but I have never thought building a set was challenging to build in terms of difficulty. The real challenge for me is to build other stuff, using only the bricks that come with one particular set. Though often, especially with the big sets, like the ones I mentioned, I will only take them apart weeks or sometimes months later.

To me, building a new set is just a relaxing activity, and sometimes has an almost meditative peaceful quality. the only thing I can worry a little about is whether all the right bricks are included as it has happened a couple of times that a set did not contain all the pieces it should have.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I timed myself making the 10197 Fire Brigade, it took me 8.5hrs including a few little breaks here and there. I could've done it quicker but I was enjoying it :) (and filming it)
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    I'm definitely someone who savors the experience, whether I'm eating food or building Lego. With the Modulars, I like to build the different sections over a period of days. My wife once noted that for the amount of time it takes me to build a Modular, it justifies the price when compared to fair-groud tickets for example.
    I put the Imperial Flagship together on Saturday while watching the Playoffs. I started at the beginning of the early game, took a short dinner break, and finished just before the end of the late game. So it was about six hours.
  • beatlefan1966beatlefan1966 Florida, USAMember Posts: 31
    I used to time myself because the most common question I get when people see my models is, "How long did it take you to build it?" But I've stopped timing...my five-year-old granddaughter loves to help me, and that throws off the time. I find it more relaxing not to time it, and I'm pretty good at estimating the time when people ask.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I dont time my builds either as I would find it stressful and would build at a faster pace. In turn that can cause a person to screw up. For small sets though 150 pieces or less I can get done in like 15mins and the even smaller sets in about 5mins or less. I do know it took me about 13hrs to build the DS, around 4hrs for the modular. With the new Town Hall though I am thinking it'll be about 6 hrs or so. I tend to get up and walk around for a few mins to stretch out as it can make me sore being in one spot to long. I do though tend to listen to music though as I build, mainly bands like Metaliica, KMFDM, Disturbed, Korn, etc.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    edited January 2012
    It's the **** stickers! Loathe those things! Spent a hour futzing the stickers on the Slave I set and it still didn't come out as I liked.

For Lego to tout quality in their playsets, I'm surprised they didn't go the way with pad printing. Stickers just degrade and peel off over the years.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    It took my six-year-old son and me about six hours, spread over two nights, to build FB, at a leisurely pace. We enjoyed the build process immensely. I was surprised that he was able to build a large portion of the second floor all by himself on the first night. He did make some mistakes in using pieces of the same shape but wrong color, yet I think the instruction books were partially to blame-- I myself had a hard time telling apart light gray/gray/black and gold/yellow pieces from the instructions.