Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10253 - Big Ben

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    Nice, not sure Id pay 250 USD for it, but nice. I want those clock faces
    AllBrick
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 795
    Had to be Jamie of course! I'm going to struggle to resist this one! Wonder how long it will be until someone manages to make a PF working clock mod?

The £170 price point is absolutely incredible- 4p a piece. I can see this selling out very easily due to people buying this for the actual build and for parts packs. 
    catwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,071
    edited May 2016
    Is this close to microscale?  I looks not quite the same proportions as the TB.

Edit - I should watch the video before engaging gum-flapping.
    hewman
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    ^ According to the video, the scale is "in line" with the TB
    SumoLegoMattDawsonkiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2016
    Still waiting for the press update where they made a mistake with the price. :)
    madforLEGOpharmjodkiki180703Bumblepants
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,473
    edited May 2016
    I've taken the parts list from the top of the box and skewed it. It's not great quality, but in the full-size image (click to view) you can just about make out the quantities for some of the elements, and you can see better what elements are included. I count 5 elements that there's more than 100 of.

MattDawsonAanchirColoradoBricksrd1899kiki180703PeteMcatwranglerGoldchains
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I like it. I don't want it but I like it. I'm very happy to see d2c that is both done well and nicely priced - gives me hope for the upcoming vw bug.
    AllBrick
    ^ I'm expecting the re-design on the VW to be something special.  

I just got the first VW - and despite my admiration - it's a friggin' ugly model.
    AllBrick
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    This is more like it! I'm glad that finally they didn't put out another over-priced fugly set that sucks big time. The design is nice and I'll be sure to grab it.

They have kept the price equal to the Tower Bridge rather than screwing us over, which is unexpected given the trend to go 50 - 100 Euro over what it should cost.

• Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142

It's really nice, but thanks god a pass for me :)

• CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,295
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I'm expecting the re-design on the VW to be something special.  

I just got the first VW - and despite my admiration - it's a friggin' ugly model.
    It's a California-style with a surfboard apparently.
    klatu003SumoLegokiki180703ARo2891AllBrick
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 82
    will this extend the life of TB?
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 944
    There looks to be large quantities of quite a few elements...!

I'd be quite worried if there weren't ;-)

Although there's obviously a lot of small parts, it does seem to be incredibly good value for money, and I'm almost tempted to stray from my purist SW collection....

edited May 2016
    ^  The TB has already enjoyed an unnaturally long life.  Why not?  I'll start worrying about it retiring once it hits 10 years.  

Maybe they'll sell a two-pack with both sets.  TB and BB - together in one UCS Creator Megabox Limited Edition!  (Where can I put in a request for a Globe Theatre?)

Any chance we'll see a SOH-scale Sydney Harbour Bridge?  I might just swoon!
    Lego_Starthedingman5MattDawsonkiki180703AllBrickcatwranglerSirBen
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 910
    This looks great and amazed by the price. Not just piece count but also it is a proper set. The Hoth and Batcave don't feel complete to me and they are massively expensive. The Hoth has lots of the same parts including small wedges and slope pieces. Also, Big Ben seems to have some new pieces and recolours.  Can't sat that about Hoth set
    catwrangler
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 239
    I've taken the parts list from the top of the box and skewed it. It's not great quality, but in the full-size image (click to view) you can just about make out the quantities for some of the elements, and you can see better what elements are included. I count 5 elements that there's more than 100 of.

Maybe 99 microfigures and 300 of the charcoal/translucent windows?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    TB just had the box redone to the new style so my guess is it will be around a bit longer, but I would have expected something like this to be the planned replacement.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,841
    As good as the finished article looks, I bet it would be an incredibly dull build - lots of repetition.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    I am definitely picking this one. And is making me think about getting the Tower Bridge. Already had my eye on the Opera House.

I guess I could re-purpose the 2nd bathroom in the apartment and place shelves in the bathtub area... turn the water on to remove the dust from the sets once in a while :)
    TheOriginalSimonBkiki180703
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    very happy they made reference to the Elizabeth Tower in the video, which is what this set is, now, Lego, if your reading, a Mrs Gold Queen minifig would be nice to celebrate her 90th birthday!

but at £170 I'll be buying!
    Maybe 99 microfigures and 300 of the charcoal/translucent windows?
    Quite possibly 300, although the minifigs looks like 47, which is how many I counted.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    I'm very pleased with this offering.  I have collected almost all of this series.  The price seems in line with the #10214 Tower Bridge (4287 piece) $239.  After six years a set with 4163 mostly common bricks at $249 sounds fair. There are no special large pieces like #10234 Sidney Opera House to justify a larger price tag.

We are just shocked that it hasn't been overpriced. #71040 Disney World Cinderella Castle at $399, I'm looking at you.  It is sounding like a lot of spendy Disney Fairy Dust™.  
    catwrangler
    ^ As long as you don't sniff.. snort the Fairy Dust.

I'm looking at you, @Pitfall69...
    bendybadger
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,310
    I expect a ton of 1x1. but it still looks great. 
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 800
    I thought the Architecture set was a tediously repetitive build and I can't imagine this being much different in that respect, but I suppose it's necessary. It does look fantastic.

A bit disappointed it doesn't include a working clock with a mutable Big Ben :)
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,861
    i will own this set.
    love the look of it.
  • yg77yg77 Member Posts: 32
    dont care about Big Ben persay, but this looks like a good set to easily modify into a minifig scale City building....imagine spider man perched atop that tower
    OrmskirkBricks
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 406
    Love it, and very pleased with the price - I'm even tempted to break my rule on only buying 'expensive' sets on double points.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    I do really want this....now I have to find somewhere to put it....
    SumoLego
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,406
    @GreenArrow57 - In the bedroom on the wife's dressing table, that's where I'd put it........ If I wanted it disassembled.
    bandit778kiki180703
    I do really want this....now I have to find somewhere to put it....
    Right between the Tower Bridge and the Eiffel Tower, and two spots down from the Sydney Opera House and Taj Mahal.

Definitely want to keep thinks balanced out.
    AllBrickGreenArrow57
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 187
    If star wars had a big ben it would be around £400 
    [Deleted User]madforLEGOAdzbadboybricktuarykiki180703
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 393
    And a Wampa feeding station of course...
    bobabricks
    Don't forget the lookout tower sticking out from the top.
    Lobotdonutboykiki180703Bumblepants
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,310
    also it would be built to scale with the AT-AT which is actually sold by lego. or well, was supposed to...
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 205
    Back to topic: what do you think about the back side of the set? Not as bad as the back of the Ghostbusters Headquarters with all those tan 1x4x5 panels, but.... 
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Back to topic: what do you think about the back side of the set? Not as bad as the back of the Ghostbusters Headquarters with all those tan 1x4x5 panels, but.... 
    But it's not the full building, so you would have a bunch of internal rooms just open at the back if you were going for 'realism'. The colours match so I think it is fine as it is.
    AanchirTigerMothLyichirchrisalddinkiki180703Adzbadboy
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Basta said:

But it's not the full building, so you would have a bunch of internal rooms just open at the back if you were going for 'realism'.
    Not really. It's not one building, but a whole series of them built around eleven courtyards (some used as car parks). Immediately behind most of the LEGO version is exactly that - Speaker's Court, now a car park.

The back wall of the model really is an external wall, although three other buildings are joined to it. It's not as ornate as the "outside", but not as drab as the model suggests either.

The line of the back wall continues across those other buildings and it is only directly against the Elizabeth Tower, where the knob for turning the clock hands is, that there would be "rooms open at the back".

Oooo... London Car Park sounds like the next set....
    GreenArrow57
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,955
    @SumoLego
    ^I heard that too, they said it's going to be on a crossroads base plate as you like them so much.

;)
    SumoLegokiki180703
    ^ I finally have a reason to save them.  I can have a 35-story car park.
    bandit778
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,861
    the only thing crossroad base plates are good for is spaceports or airports.
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 269
    I'm not going to be able to get that set home on the bus :D
    catwranglerkiki180703
    Concieveably, you could buy 20x TB and 22.5 BB, with a little MOCing...
    sklamb
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Istokg said:
    And then drive everyone insane with a single image instruction sheet to really make it challenging.... hehehe...
    Hehe, reminds me of these instructions on how to draw an owl:

bobabricksklatu003AllBrickgraphitepharmjodSumoLegoJern9277ncaachampsRainstorm26
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Istokg said:
    Maybe they ought to come out with an entire Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament) set.... ;-)

Wow, AFOLs used to wear jackets and ties!  What happened to us? :)
    bobabricksBumblepantscatwranglerVorpalRyuAdzbadboymatticus_bricks77ncaachamps
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 837
    ^ What?  You don't dress up nice to build? :)

Loving this set though - will be the first creator non-minifig-scale set I get - I'll brave through the inevitable building tedium (as I'll be honest, I can't see it being particularly fun) to have a nice building in the end!
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    TigerMoth said:
    Basta said:

But it's not the full building, so you would have a bunch of internal rooms just open at the back if you were going for 'realism'.
    Not really. It's not one building, but a whole series of them built around eleven courtyards (some used as car parks). Immediately behind most of the LEGO version is exactly that - Speaker's Court, now a car park.

The back wall of the model really is an external wall, although three other buildings are joined to it. It's not as ornate as the "outside", but not as drab as the model suggests either.

The line of the back wall continues across those other buildings and it is only directly against the Elizabeth Tower, where the knob for turning the clock hands is, that there would be "rooms open at the back".

I didn't know exactly what was behind I just knew it was much bigger then what was included in the set. Looking at the picture @Istokg posted I can see the segment that is the court yard. I suppose they could have made it a little more detailed but then the parts that have building attached would then need to be delt with.