Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which sets make for nice pieces of art? best for display?

BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
edited March 2012 in Collecting
I wanted to get some feedback from members on which sets they feel will make for nice decoration in a home? Easy current ones (or recent EOL) for me are:

-All Modulars
-Death Star I
-Super Star Destroyer
-Imperial Shuttle
-Imperial Flagship
-Queen Anne's Revenge
-Blackpearl
-Shuttle Expedition
-VW Van
-Emerald Night
-Maersk Train

Any other current ones that will make classy additions? How about past sets? (Possibly too many to list)

Comments

• airjordanairjordan Member Posts: 33
    10214 Tower Bridge looks wonderful
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    I think the CMF's can make a quirky piece of art if displayed nicely.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Architecture, the obvious choice.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Ahh yes, Tower Bridge is a definite nominee. For Architecture, I'm waiting to pick up a Whitehouse, very nice rendition IMO. Farnsworth and Brandenburg are very nice as well, but borderline. Fallingwater not so much, as its less recognizable. But most of the Architecture skyscrapers don't do it for me.

Possibly the group of MMV, MVR, Joust and King's Castle as a combined entry for nomination? But hard to see each as a prominent standalone amongst the group of nominees.
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    Good list.
    My wife likes the 6751 Fiery Legend dragon so much that she asked that we keep it on display.
    I'd also add the Ninjago Fire Temple.
    @dsdg88 6751 is a nice Dragon indeed. Very similar to the dragon from the Fire Temple set, which I agree is a nice piece as well. Its only the second 'Asian-styled' building set I've seen from the "Orient Express" series if I'm right, with that first version being almost identical to FT except it had a special base-plate. However, FT is a bit light being only a facade. Wish they made it as a full building, like Diagon Alley.

Which brings to mind another good group entry, Diagon Alley, Hogwarts Castle, Hogwarts (smaller castle), The Burrows.
  • ButchaButcha Member Posts: 47
    Great thread. My top recommendations would be:

-Modulars
    -Imperial Shuttle
    -Imperial Flagship
    -Shuttle Expedition
    -VW Van
    -Emerald Night
    -Maersk Train

(Most of the D2C sets are amazing art peices, IMO)

Depending on what type of 'art' you're looking for, there's definately some great stuff to choose from :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    I would say the most striking would have to be the UCS Imperial Star Destroyer.
    @Butcha what does D2C stand for?

Art in the terms of giving a lasting 'impression' on a level beyond simply being a toy or building set, becoming Decorative Art. EOL sets that exemplify this would Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Grand Carousel, Death Star II, UCS MF, UCS X-Wing, Statue of Liberty... Essentially a model that would be symbolic or visually pleasing to the non-AFOL.
  • ButchaButcha Member Posts: 47
    @BrickDancer D2C means Direct To Customer - Exclusives (typically 10### sets) such as most of the sets coming up in this thread.
    @flump6523 The UCS ISD would be on the list for sure, but its EOL for a long time. Would love to have most of the SW UCS to be honest, such as AT-ST, Vader's TF, etc. They were classics the day they were born.

@Butcha ahh thanks for clarification. Bad part about most of the D2C sets are that they rarely go on to deep discounts. I'm holding my breath for a drop on the Expedition and VW.
  • airjordanairjordan Member Posts: 33
    @brickdancer , not to go completely off topic but get the Expedition ASAP. While at my local LEGO store I asked what set they would recommend me purchasing first from a list of about 10 and they unanimously agreed on Shuttle Expedition. They said they couldn't tell me why, but to get it while I can. I think it may be the spot where they are going to put the new 'vertical' box Town Hall...
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    I agree with @princedraven. The CMFs (and most minifigures in general) make for a great display. I have mine in several modified shadow boxes and adults and kids alike love it.

Best of all - no dust! And takes up no surface space.
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 41
    The Eiffel tower is fantastic as a decorative item as its tall and is relatively compact from a baseplate perspective - almost like a lampshade. The USC imperial star destroyer is also another eye-catcher although its not as easy to display without intruding on space. Indeed as others have pointed out many of the Star Wars UCS sets, including Darth Maul and the [email protected] exclusives have that wow factor for the casual visitor.Three unmentioned older sets that look good on the top of a book shelf are the Red Baron, Sopwith Camel and Wright brothers bi-planes. At Christmas time the winter village sets are very thematic, almost like the (non-LEGO) Department 51 houses that I liked so much to pick up on travels to the US.
    @airjordan thank you very much for that bit of info! I've been eyeing that one, but there hasn't been any chatter, so put it off. But the Expedition has now moved up to "immediate buy" on my list for this weekend.

@littletoki completing S5 was one of my first accomplishments and it was a joy (including the feeling part of the process making it a memorable experience coming out of the Dark Ages). But wasn't convinced of its artistic display possibilities until yesterday when I saw the modified shadow boxes you mentioned. On another thread the person made it for SW mini-figs. Gorgeous! With 99 boxes, it would be perfect to hold all 6 Series (with 3 extra slots).
    @Dfenz oh my god! I almost had a stroke when I punched up pics for the Wright Bros, Red Baron and Sopwith! Those are the kind of sets I'm talking about. And looking from their current market prices, they hold up their value and interest. And I really like Dept. 56 too, must be their inspiration for the WV line.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2012
    I use my own MOCs round the house. Generally prefer them to ornaments, and as I have expensive taste, it saves me money.

The only official sets I currently have on prominent show are the Grand Emporium (looks amazing), and a part MOC/part set of the landspeeder from Star Wars going in to Mos Eisley, after that I have several MOC castles dotted around.

Recently completed a scene from the film Excalibur (or Le Morte d'Arthur if you like).
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    I'd suggest the Ninjago Temple which I display without the dragon or minifigs as it looks a little more adult in my living room. Also there's a new Sopwith Camel coming out this year, so save some $s for that. I have the old Red Baron set, and that looks great on display.
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2012
    I like the Imp Shuttle but have recently started to create Mosaics using the LEGO photo app. I have only create one so far of my dog as I ran out of pieces. I literally ran out with a few pieces to go (as I was using the remaining pieces from my childhood bulk collection) and had to substitute for a couple. Since I am all out of usable pieces, I will be placing some bricklink orders and hope the costs is not too much. I figure it works out to about $100 a picture but it is worth it.
    bb.jpg 42.6K
    Note: That $100 is Australian cost due to shipping, but I'm sure Europe or US cost would be significantly lower
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2012
    @richo...love to see your Excalibur Moc. New film in the works I believe.

Off the top of my head I think these would go well with any decor...Falling Water, Robie House...Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Grand Carousel, Imperial Flagship...any of the Modulars as a group connected...ummm...Star Wars Imperial Shuttle (wings open displayed on stand), Super Star Destroyer (4 feet of display width needed) and the Space Shuttle...plus like Dfenz mentioned, the older bi-plane/Sopwith Camel/Red Baron kits. Beautiful stuff.

Overall UCS stuff with more details are a way to go.
    @Lambringo I like that mosaic you did. Did you use Lego Photo from the iPhone app? Its 60 x 40 studs? At $100, I think you did well. It costed me around $250 to do the same with a portrait for my gf and another $100 to have it framed. Done by parting out the current Creator sets (prehistoric hunter, blue roadster, transport truck, etc), so maybe not the most cost efficient route. But she's ecstatic about the art piece, so it was still worth it.
    edited January 2012
    @LegoDad,

I'll upload a pic tmr or saturday on this very thread!

It's a small scene of Perceval searching for the Grail in his armour and black cape in the desolate winter landscape and finding an old tower/folly. I always loved that part of the story where the knights are sent out to the four corners of the realm as part of their seemingly hopeless search.

rich
    @hewman that's excellent news! Do you happen to have any pics of the new Sopwith? Catch any word on a new Red Baron after that one? I would really want both of those and optional on the Wright Bros.
    I'd love to see some of these displays in their environment!
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    @Brickdancer, unfortunately there aren't any pics floating around of the to be released Sopwith as it will initially be a a shop at home exclusive so there aren't any pics floating around in retailers' catalogues. Hopefully the Sopwith sells well and they release a new Red Baron as well.
    edited January 2012
    @BrickDancer I did use the iphone app. I had the picture I wanted then I cropped it so that it was a reasonable size for the app. When I converted it to the LEGO pic and was happy with it I transferred it to my computer. Then I cropped the image again so that it fit a 32x32 plate. I did have to extend a stud or 2 on each side. To quickly mark off my progress I had the image open with photoshop and I just drew lines over the pieces I placed. When I had a look online, 1x1 are about 4-5c each, but 2x1, 3x1 are not that much more (about 5-7c each). This is on bricklink and PaB so it works out a lot cheaper if you don't purchase only 1x1 since you only need them for detail, the larger plates are better value and save time. Working on a 32x32 (1024 studs) @ 5c a stud is only $52. Postage is a killer for me though and there is the cost of the base plate.
    Hi,
    here's a pic of latest moc, just need a bit more snow (white plates!).
    will also add a distance shot to give you an example of how it looks as a display piece (or ornament if you like).
    rich
    from a distance.
    Great MOC @richo and you're right - it looks like some sort of sculpture on display!
    @richo that's a nice MOC piece. I need to watch that movie again now to see how it compares to the scene.
    edited January 2012
    @BrickDancer,

there is rather a lot of artistic licence in my creation, as it's a cross between Perceval looking for the Grail, and his dreamlike finding of the grail.

Brilliant film though. A good example of why you don't need lots of CGI to make a good film and believable fight scenes. I think the re-make is shelved now. Not too disappointed, would have been hard to live up to John Boorman's classic.

rich
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    The EMERALD NIGHT for me.
    I love that train and I love displaying it. It looks absolutely fantastic!!
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    richo, I really like what you've done. It conveys a feeling of foreboding in a lovely, understated, way.

I've never seen the movie, though I've read the book, Le Morte D'Arthur...
    @DaddyWhale,

thank you. Foreboding is exactly the feeling I was trying to get in to the scene.

Le Morte D'Arthur, excellent. Part 6 is the Grail search or 'The Noble Tale of the Sangreal'.

rich
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,352
    This was an easy question for me... the only LEGO item I display as art.... the 396 Thatcher Perkins... a true classic (both historically and LEGO wise)...
    @richo isolated and desolate were the adjectives that came to mind when I was looking at your piece. The way it conveys a sense of melancholy was tangible in the barren snow and partial path. Very nicely artistic sense to it.

@MattPetersen I'm not into trains (yet), but the Emerald Night just felt special. Somehow it embodies what my mind remembers as classic trains. Only thing that could make it closer to what I imagine is an EN in black with red highlights and dark brown wood compartment car. Do you display it with any other trains?

@istokg wow, never seen that one before. It doesn't even have a listing for that set number. I love the red wheels on it and don't get me started on that awesome sticker!
    edited January 2012
    @richo...I second the above...a desolate yet artistic piece.
    I ask you this richo....What is the secret of the Grail?...Who does it serve?

Didn't know they shelved the remake. The original is still my favorite fantasy film...but it would've been nice to see Arthur and the Knights in their great shiny armor on the big screen again.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    @richo - What did you use for the icicles on that model? I think they look great, but can't place the pieces to save my life.
    @y2josh,

thanks, that part came out pretty well. I used around 100 1x1 round clear/translucent studs. Bought them from a seller on bricklink for 1p each, very cheap!

rich
    @LegoDad,

Yes superb lines. The whole film is packed with quotable lines, probably enhanced by the amount of good stage actors that were in the film.

To answer directly; Perceval responds, "You my lord." With the answer given, the Grail begins to transform into the outline of a man. The voice then speaks again. "Who am I?" the voice asks. Perceval falls to his knees and replies, "You are my lord and king. You are Arthur." The outline of the man begins to become clearer and Perceval can see that it resembles Arthur. Then, the voice speaks one final time. "Have you found the secret that I have lost?", it asks. "Yes", says Perceval, "You and the land are one." The secret of the grail is the lesson Arthur first learned from Merlin, but had forgotten. The quest is achieved; Perceval wins the Grail.

The line that always come in to my head first is Mordred responding to Arthur saying 'I cannot give you the land. Only my love'. Mordred: 'That's the one thing of yours I don't want!'.

@rcicho...ok, you got me thinkin' Excalibur moc's but first, let me pop in the movie and enjoy it again!
    @pcirone thanks for the suggestion, just picked up the Architecture White House. I think this will make a nice addition to the list of 'artsy' sets I'm lining up for display pieces.

Also picked up a Shuttle Expedition, but hesitating on the Death Star.
    A lot of people have mentioned it and I concur - the Imperial Shuttle looks amazing displayed.

UCS Imperial Shuttle
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    I recently built the white house its very nice on display in my office
    @thecleator I'm looking forward to it. It'll be my first micro-build, thought the WH would be perfect choice.

I couldn't resist the Double VIP on the DS afterall and picked a perfect mint one. It's going to look real nice along side the Imperial Shuttle, UCS AT-ST and Obi Wan SF. Makes me itch for a Super Star Destroyer to compliment the line up. But space is become an issue and fast though.

• aeloleaelole Member Posts: 34
    If you are into technic model I recommend the 8043. It looks very impressive as a display model even though the target of TLG were not the AFOL in the first place.
    I haven't tried Technic recently, only when I was a child. Was interested in the two Ferrari's they have, but haven't taken a look at the heavy duty machines they have like this Crane and the Unimog. I'll take a keener eye on the line, thanks for the tip @aelole.

@princedraven took your suggestion and @littletoki's fine example to heart and just got the whole CMF Series 1-6 as the next 'framed' piece to be displayed. Thanks both for the great idea!
    @littletoki,

Excellent stuff. Not sure if I am ever so slightly OCD, but there is nothing I like more than an immaculately presented room with a couple of well displayed lego sets.

Richo
    @richo.

"Not sure if I am ever so slightly OCD" - maybe! Because I am a bit and I was immediately drawn to the display of your Castle MOC.