Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Legends?

TownTown Member Posts: 68
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
A few years ago, Lego re-released a bunch of classic sets under the "Legends" line. I was hoping that they would continue, but it seemed to be a one off line.

Anybody have any idea why it stopped? Did it not sell well?

Comments

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I hope it comes back, it could shut out a lot of the outrageous prices some resellers ask. The only legends sets I know of though are the pirate stuff, I got a couple ships that way. If they did do a legends I'd like a rerelease of the older modular building sets and ..... well I can't remember what else I wanted but yea....
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ Here's a bricklist of all the LEGO Legends sets:

http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?720

Here is a link to a post Brad Justus made announcing the LEGO Legends line:
    http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=38

LEGO very much had a pulse on the collector's market when they chose the sets because Guarded Inn, Metroliner, Railroad Club Car, Black Falcon's Fortress, Black Seas Barracuda, and Main Street all were standouts with respect to the values they were fetching.

I mentioned this previously in another discussion: As a LEGO enthusiast I loved the re-introduction of some of the greatest LEGO sets of all time, but as a collector I hated it since I owned nearly all the original sets and saw their value decline with the re-issue.

I'm not sure why they stopped it, but I do think their latter choices -- USS Constellation, Hot Rod -- were questionable and, as a result, interest and sales waned.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    They re-released some of the Town Jr sets, though don't ask me why. They'd have been better off re-releasing earlier Town sets like the Carnival Scene or a house from the 1980s. It's a shame they never released any Space sets in Legend. My money would have been on something like the Blacktron 1 base, Alien Moon Stalker or that big spaceship from 1986.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 832
    LEGO decided to stop since sales of Legends weren't very popular. Fans that wanted the sets complained about the discrepancies between the orginals and re-releases. Fans that didn't want the sets complained that they ruined the market value of sets they already owned. But mostly, it seemed that fans didn't buy the Legend sets because by-and-large they already owned copies of them.

Anyway, we heard from Jamie Berard in roughly 2006 or 2007 that LEGO wasn't likely to do any more Legend sets. Instead of re-releasing old sets, the focus would be on making new sets that AFOLs would find desirable, like the modular town buildings, landmark series, UCS sets, and so forth.

DaveE
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,484
    edited April 2011
    LEGO decided to stop since sales of Legends weren't very popular. Fans that wanted the sets complained about the discrepancies between the orginals and re-releases. Fans that didn't want the sets complained that they ruined the market value of sets they already owned. But mostly, it seemed that fans didn't buy the Legend sets because by-and-large they already owned copies of them.

Anyway, we heard from Jamie Berard in roughly 2006 or 2007 that LEGO wasn't likely to do any more Legend sets. Instead of re-releasing old sets, the focus would be on making new sets that AFOLs would find desirable, like the modular town buildings, landmark series, UCS sets, and so forth.

DaveE
    Like noted above, while I loved them because I liked the idea of having a 'new' main street and a Metroliner (which I did not have) I saw ALOT of these just sitting on shelves gathering dust. I mean Metroliner they had to sell for 75 bucks at lego.com because they could not get rid of them at the time (now they hit about 200 for a set..lol) what was stunning was the rapid retirement of the legend club car.. I mean that was crazy.. apparently everyone wanted those for sure.
    I think also While Lego does not re-release 'legend' sets, they are building new sets that also look like older ones...
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    I would love to see a new Legends line. Just thinking up sets they could add is making me excited...
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 609
    Yeah, many nights still go by where I dream of a world where the LEGENDS line was not discontinued. Where some Space sets were released under this line, like the Unitron Monorail or any of the Blacktron series sets. Where old gray and un-notched angle plates could still happily coexist. But then the new grays came, and they started redesigning parts. And as much as I accepted these changes, I knew then that my new favorite line could not last in this world. Alas, alas!
    One idea we came up with a while ago (dunno if it's gotten formally pitched to LEGO) was for a combination Legend/New set. Basically, LEGO has a lot of "never released" set ideas from way-back-when. Classic space sets that never saw the light of day, or something similar. Now and then we see them in things like BrickJournal articles and such. But what if they released them as "quasi-Legend" sets? Sort of "throwback" sets or something?

I'd be all for a new Blacktron vehicle in the same style as "ye olde times", or a new Black Falcon castle or something.

DaveE
    ^ I think that's a great idea. Even taken so far as to include models found in the Idea Books but without directions. They could be called "The Lost Sets"
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,328

DaveE
    I bet a lot of Bricklink store owners were bummed that the re-release of the 6390 (USA only) Main Street set didn't contain a Cypress tree... or perhaps the re-release of the 398 U.S.S. Constellation didn't contain 16 rare 1x1x1 yellow classic windows (instead they used the backside square opening of the headlight brick).

The irony of the re-release of the LEGENDS sets is that some of them weren't good sellers the first time around.

The 390-398 Hobby Sets (only sold in Continental Europe, UK, Ireland and Australia) were not popular back when they were released back in the mid-to-late 1970s. And that contains my favorite set of all time... the 396 Thatcher Perkins Locomotive Set.

The 398 ship was a very rare set (circa 1000 pieces), and I bet a lot of original owners of this rare set were pissed at TLG when it was re-released.

I guess the re-releases are over...

Cheers,
    Gary Istok

I think they could do new sets in the style of old ranges. I always thought it was a shame there were no more Blacktron 1 sets, for example. They could have made a giant Blacktron 1 spaceship, or a large walking machine like the Alien Moon Stalker. The fact they introduced a new Space range every year from about 1988 onwards meant they couldn't really expand on each individual range.
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    Hi,

> I guess the re-releases are over...

unfortunately not really. Just look at #10155 (Maersk ship).
    I'm pretty sure, that we'll see sets like "cafe corner" or "statue of liberty" (had already 2 releases) again some day.

What about a bundle rerelease of maersk promotional trucks: 1552/1651/1831?

ThomaS

ThomaS.... there's already a lot of very angry Maersk blue construction helmet owners out there (with 3 found in the new Maersk train set)... some folks have spent hundreds of dollars on those helmets... they'd likely have a stroke if those Maersk sets were re-released! :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    ThomaS.... there's already a lot of very angry Maersk blue construction helmet owners out there (with 3 found in the new Maersk train set)... some folks have spent hundreds of dollars on those helmets... they'd likely have a stroke if those Maersk sets were re-released! :-)
    :-)

I suspect some owners of the 'original' 10152 Maersk Sealand sets might have been similarly miffed when 10155 came out. That having been said, even though I myself have two 10152 sets (largely because I just can't resist those gorgeous Maersk Blue pieces !) I'm actually quite pleased that others will have a chance to experience this set as it's neat !

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    edited April 2011
    ^^ That's their lookout :-)
    I wouldn't dream of spending hundreds of dollars on just one part (unless it wasn't my money!)
    There were a lot of angry folks regarding the *original* re-release of 10152 in 2005, let alone the one in 2011! But that had to do more with Jake McKee and LEGO's comments that implied that the 2004 version would be the last time EVER to get Maersk blue, only to be overturned 1 year later!

DaveE
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Of course they are not going to listen to the collectors. Collectors want them to release a set for a couple months, discontinue it, and not make any money off of it. The less money TLG makes on a product, the more collectors make.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    edited April 2011
    Sheesh, I thought people were nuts for paying $45 for a Jango Fett Helmet/jetpack. :| 168.68 and 200.00 were the last two used ones sold!! I just cannot imagine myself ever paying that much for a LEGO hat any piece ever.
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    I would like to see the Harry Potter theme stick around...
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I cannot say I am shedding a single tear for anyone that pays that kind of money for a hat. I look at it like this, there are two kinds of collectors. The first are the "investors" and the second are the people who just love the sets and display them. (I know alot of people fall into both segments, but that will not deter my point) When you buy a set like I do it is for the sole purpose of my enjoyment, and I will never sell them. So people like me would welcome re-releases and such. Those that are doing it on investment side, well you take a risk with any investment, and honestly if there were no risk involved at all then everyone would buy LEGO for investment alone. As it stands LEGO is a pretty solid long term investment, minus the economy completely crumbling and anarchy rules take effect, well then many of us would wish we collected guns and gold :-).
    ^ You're confusing two points: the people that paid $45 for a Jango Fett helmet most likely were not doing it for investment with the purpose of reselling.
    When it comes to LEGO parts in rare colors... I say beware.... as long as the mold is still in production, there's a good chance it can be reused.

I once bought 2 386 Ambulance Helicopter sets JUST for the 2 white 2x2 concave corner 45 degree slopes they each had. I used these 4 very rare slopes in the top mast of an Art Deco office tower I built many years ago. And for 30 years none of these were ever produced again in white... until the Harry Potter Shrieking Shack came out..... :( Well it wasn't that big of a deal expense wise... but there are some parts today that I wouldn't touch at current prices, such as....

I would never pay this kind of money for black lattice fence gates and gate bases...
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3186&colorID=11
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3187&colorID=11

All TLG needs to do is come out with a new set with these.... :(

For some parts where the mold has been retired, I would be more comfortable in buying the items... such as the tall Cypress trees... although they're way overpriced.

Cheers,
    Gary Istok
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,625
    I'm with Dr.D. I don't mind Lego re-releasing old sets because I didn't buy them as an investment. The fact that they appreciate in value is good, but I never intended to retire off of them anyway. As for a re-release of the Blacktron 1 line. That will never happen as I believe the reason for the logo change is that Nintendo told them they owned it for their Zelda video game theme.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,625
    It also doesn't hurt my feelings one little bit to see some prices come down because of a re-release, $249.99 for an original Maersk helmet? I would be embarrassed to ask $10.00 for it!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,484
    The only time I buy parts that are expensive is if I am buying in mind for my personal collection..
    Plus I find that there are people in AUS that sell rare train parts (which is usually what I need) all the time and no one bids on them due to the shipping price (an off times the auction finishes, due ot AUS time difference), but even then it is still substantially less than BL prices... I did have to buy a 1 x 2 x2 classic Black window for 25 bucks to finish a 7730 Electric goods train, but then again I have found those same black windows for good prices now via Auctions... I will say what they really need to reproduce (maybe in a figure collection) is the WHITE pigtails that they once had ohh so long ago!

Recently (in the last 6 months) someone bought 100 of the 1x2x2 classic black windows (new condition) for $10 each on Bricklink. Sounds like someone got a hold of some remaining TLG old replacement parts inventory.
    They could bring Blacktron 1 back without the logo.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I doubt that there was an intellectual property problem with the similarities between Blacktron Logo and Zelda Triforce. Repeating triangles isn't really original you know.
    They even used to use repeating triangles on the clocks on the telly a few years ago whenever they were announcing some programme or other. I remember thinking "it's a Blacktron clock".