Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL: Correct way to pronounce it?

nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
edited January 2012 in Collecting
Howdy all, I got to think the other day...what is the right way to say AFOL? I've never given much thought to it, myself I always just said a-f-o-l, but then I saw in a video that some people say it as ah-ful.

Sorry if its a stupid question, Im just curious :)

Comments

• korkor Member Posts: 392
    I've always said it the way you do but I've heard it both ways.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I tend to say AY-FOL. But then, I don't really say it out loud very often.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    I always say "a-f-o-l". However, after my dad found out what the initials stood for and he saw my pricey new 7965 Millenium Falcon, he merely grunted and said, "More like 'a-fool'" So, I guess there's a couple ways of saying it :)
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    Does anyone (other than me) pronounce it like 'awful'. As in inspiring awe, of course :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Its a horrible acronym, never liked it. It's either 'a fool' or 'awful', not a great term to be known by. I dont like to use it speaking, I prefer to just say 'adult Lego fan'.
    MorkMan
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I always pronounce it "AFF-OL", as in 'afford' and 'olive'. Never been a fan, or of all the other terrible derivatives (TFOL, KFOL, AFFOL, etc). There was a move to encourage the use of 'ALE' a few years back (adult Lego enthusiast), but it hasn't caught on yet.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    ^I felt the same way...it sounds like 'a-fool'.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I'm known as a BFOL in my house. 'B' meaning Big and the rest you can comprehend :P
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    I prounce AFOL as A-FOLE, but most of the time I have to say Adult Fan Of Lego to almost everybody who does not know about theres a adult community of Lego fans!

@bluemoose
    I prenounced 'AFF-OL' and it came out with a very bad word!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,964
    ^ It probably does rhyme with the US pronounciation of a??hole, but it's how we say it this side of the pond.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I usually just say A.F.O.L.

After all, it works for R.O.U.S.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ lol, you've just reminded me that I need to add Princess Bride to the Lego 'want' list!
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    @prof1515 R.O.U.S.?

and @bluemoose, im not to big on ALE either...we need to find something catchy that we will all like :P
    Rodents Of Unusual Size!
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 817
    I typically actually say "LEGO hobbyists", since people OUTSIDE the community more immediately understand what it is I'm talking about. Saying "enthusiast" or "fan" or "collector" doesn't always convey quite the right vibe, I've found (and they certainly won't get our acronyms!)

As for the pronunciation, the first time that it was used as an acronym was by Matthew Verdier back in 1995, where he noted that it sounds like "A FOOL" (albeit jokingly).

DaveE
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    ^^^ I agree with you. Also when in a conversation, there's no need to reference the 'adult'. It should be pretty obvious and mentioning it seems like some kind of admission that it's otherwise child's play.
    ^ yeah and that way we dont need to worry about all this TFOL, AFOL, KFOL stuff...we could just come up with one name for all of us :P any ideas?

hmm...how about...HOLB? hobbyists Of LEGO Brand? :P

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I would suggest a departure from Acronyms as a whole. Star Trek fans are Trekkies, Lego fans can be... Lego-ists?

Along the same vein as an "Art-ist" was before the term was institutionalized to represent a broad spectrum of medium, style, or form. Similar to what is happening with the various types of Lego users growing in different segments. Less hobby and more art & expression.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Adult Hobbyists of LEGO?
    leggies?
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    When I speak to anyone, I'm a LEGO fan. Whether that implies a fan of the company (as per their Fair Play policy), the brand or the bricks themselves is their interpretation - but they always seem to know what I mean. I really don't like the word "adult" in there. It always makes it feel a bit wrong, sometimes just superfluous...and almost seedy.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Si Leggies is brilliant!! Hmm I need that word to ferment a bit... but very catchy already right off the bat...
    edited January 2012
    ^ we could also say leggeeks :P JK

and @yellowcastle Adult Hobbyists of LEGO, as an acronym it looks and sounds too much like a-hole :P
  • MaverickDengoMaverickDengo Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2012
    I pronounce it A-F-O-L. I do agree that there should be a different non-acronym word though. Preferably something that can be used for all fans of lego, TFOLS, AFOLS, and KFOLS alike.
    edited January 2012
    For the record, many Star Trek fans prefer the term Trekker since Trekkie was coined as a derogatory name by those where not fans of Star Trek.

AFOL, Adult Fan Of Lego, does have a particular validity to it since Lego are children's toys and thus the default characterization of a fan or enthusiast of Lego is a child.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2012
    How about WALL...We All Love Lego.
    Just another Brick in the WALL...;)
    Corny...I know.
    Do shirts ala Pink Floyd's Wall cover stylizin' the brick to look like Lego bricks...hmmm, just thinking out loud.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I just tell people I'm a LEGO fan, or that I'm really into LEGO. don't care for the acronym or it's oddly-sounding pronuciated version.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Like others, I avoid the word altogether in speech. I agree with @Martin that qualifying 'adult' introduces a lot of unnecessary implications.

And, @yellowcastle, I caught your proposed 'AHOL' :P
    Lifelong Lego Loonies.