Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Lego gear would you like to see Lego bring back

VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,231
Back in 2004, TLG put out a baseball cap with the classic Space logo (item number 4243730 on BrickLink), unfortunately I was still in my dark ages, so I missed out on the chance to buy one.

I have looked everywhere online in the hopes of finding somewhere that still has stock, but to no avail. It's the one piece of Lego gear I'd like to see TLG bring back, preferably in more colours, including green. Who else has a piece of gear they'd like to see TLG bring back?
LostInTranslationxiahnacatwranglermessyGothamConstructionCochuckptecjamSumoLegotallblocktoo

Comments

• xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 154
    ^NO!!! I'm kept in the kitchen enough without adding more reason for them to pester!!!! Lol
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    @LostInTranslation There's a lot of silicon moulds of generic building bricks and the like from other suppliers these days so wonder if they would bring them back just to have the 'official' version out there. 
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    Understated pieces like this:

VorpalRyutallblocktoo
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,231
    @rdflego, nice, when did Lego release that?
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 808
    I'm not sure about bringing back, but I'd like to see a well-designed necktie.  They've done a variety of neckties, but I was never crazy about any of them.  They were always either a bit TOO over the top:

Or they've been a bit too understated for me:

I actually just got one that's a little more right-on-the-money, but it's not official!

DaveE
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    This is a timely thread for me - today I learned that they used to make Fabuland keyrings! Would've been nice to get one for my partner, since he had Fabuland when he was little (we still have quite a few of the figures) and is very nostalgic about it. Bricklink records several variations (and also mobile phone straps) but this feels like the most iconic:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?G=4503056
    LostInTranslation
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    This one would be cool to have, pretty cheap on the after market too considering the limited numbers.

http://brickset.com/sets/852309-1/Light-Up-Brick-Key-Chain
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 238
    I'm a big fan of Lego "tat", ice cube trays, money boxes, alarm clocks etc but I wish I'd picked up some of the towels that came out in 2011, I thought they would be around for longer than they were :-(
    LostInTranslation
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 872
    There's a lot of silicon moulds of generic building bricks and the like from other suppliers these days so wonder if they would bring them back just to have the 'official' version out there. 
    The problem with the generic brick moulds is that while they look right on the outside, the internal shape and proportions aren't right. I have a fondant mould that has been made using real bricks (even slopes). I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon for an upcoming project. The minifig ice cube moulds are spot on though but the official ice lolly mould is the best as its solid, not silicon. I use it for my giant chocolate minifigs. Never interested in the cake mould, I'm more a 3d cake maker :)
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    ^ giant chocolate minifigs? Nice!

I made some chocolate minifigs a while back using the ice cube tray and had tried to colour them (white chocolate, food colouring). Wasn't the best experiment but not the worst. Maybe I should revisit....
    If you use white chocolate covering (ie the cheap non chocolate) works well with food colouring. Real chocolate is a tricky beast with food colouring. Candy melts are good to use too. If you are coming to warrens you may see/eat some of these treats (time dependant).
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,253
    edited May 2016
    The LEGO Minifig head Cookie Jar.

LostInTranslation
    ^ Want!
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    VorpalRyu said:
    @rdflego, nice, when did Lego release that?
    2014 according to Brickset. I can find it on ebay (5004115) but it's way out of my price range for a watch.
  • NeilCrosbyNeilCrosby United KingdomMember Posts: 77
    The only problem with the LEGO Minifig head Cookie Jar is that it's too small for me to put my hand inside properly!

It's nice, just not big enough.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    This one would be cool to have, pretty cheap on the after market too considering the limited numbers.

Because they are incredibly easy to forge?
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836

Because they are incredibly easy to forge?

Probably, ha ha! I've thought about trying to make one, maybe with the yellow light so it's a bit better of a keyring flashlight.
  • Panda_HeroPanda_Hero The bottom of the Mariana TrenchMember Posts: 24
    Id love them to bring back the 40 tooth gear! Get it... Anyone...?
    VorpalRyucatwranglerSprinkleOtterMattDawson
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500

any idea on size? If its not too big I'm thinking a hollow candy melt (or chocolate if I'm feeling adventurous) fig filled with bricks wont be too hard to make.

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    @nexander:

From the US site (not on UK yet):

"Bake the tastiest LEGO® minifigure ever!

Have a party and bring out the coolest cake in town! Bake up a tasty treat in one of your favorite LEGO® shapes with this easy to use, easy to remove silicone baking mold that can be used in both the oven and microwave, and cleans up quickly in the dishwasher. Bring a minifigure to life with this fun cake mold!

• Iconic minifigure shape in bright blue.
    • Easy slip-out silicone baking mold.
    • Oven and microwave safe – min. approx. 20°C (68°F) – max. 230°C (450°F).
    • Dishwasher safe – max. 65°C (150°F).
    • Measures over 15” (40cm) long, 14” (38cm) wide and 1” (5cm) high."
    ^thanks! Its big but might still work. Anyone think there is a market for giant edible minifigs with a smallish Lego set inside? Or even more edible mini minifigs inside. Probably need at least a kilo of chocolate or candy melts to do it thick enough so it stands.
    LostInTranslationcatwranglerkiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    I saw the new ruler set and stationery (pens, etc) a few days ago. They are incredibly expensive and I really don't see the point of the ruler. There is only one way to put the tiles together, or else you end up with a useless ruler. Pointless.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Here I thought this was a Technic-based question.  I'm out.
    VorpalRyukiki180703bandit778SumoLegocatwranglertallblocktoo
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 702
    davee123 said:
    I actually just got one that's a little more right-on-the-money, but it's not official!

DaveE
    Ha, I have that same tie!

In general, Lego could stand to do better about adult-focused clothing. Even just having some of the more kid-aimed clothing in adult sizes would be acceptable. One of the worst things about becoming an AFOL is that hardly anything fits anymore...

As for what other sorts of gear I'd like to see back... hard to say. I was noticing the other day that the Bionicle theme hasn't gotten nearly the same amount of gear as it used to since its return (stuff like foam swords, notebooks, etc.), which is a shame. But other than that I can't think of too much.
    SprinkleOtterAanchirkiki180703catwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,791
    edited June 2016
    I also have that necktie, lol! :P

I would love an octopus plush. I have sort of a collection of octopus plushes and puppets, so a LEGO one would combine two of the things I love! That one was apparently an employee exclusive so wasn't really available to fans like me in the first place, though.

I'd also like a larger selection of T-shirts in adult sizes, but for the themes I like best (Bionicle, Ninjago, etc) I don't know if there's ever really been a great selection of those. When Hot Topic had LEGO Movie T-shirts it was pretty amazing!
    Legopassion8VorpalRyucatwrangler
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    edited June 2016
    I need that octopus!

(But in blue or blue eyes)
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,435
    Silicon molds (large minifigure) are 50% off ($8.50) with any $50+ purchase.

i bought one to get to my $75 for the fountain!

limit 1 per transaction
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 321

Why is this ruler not availble anymore? And why is it impossible to find on the secondary market?

VorpalRyucatwranglerSprinkleOtterrdflegokiki180703chuckpbendybadger
    It's probably too useful, @Tkatt - if I had one I'd be holding onto it as well! I didn't even know that existed, and since it was apparently released in 2009 with no subsequent updated version, I'd guess there's no incentive for people to get rid of their old ones. Old-style element separators, on the other hand, are cheap and easy to get because they made the new version and started including one in all the large sets...
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Tkatt said:

Why is this ruler not availble anymore? And why is it impossible to find on the secondary market?

*snip*

Isn't the point of a ruler to measure something you can't simply count without it (like CMs)?  Surely a ruler that just counts studs and brick heights is made completely redundant by the very fact you could just count them.  And actually as Lego doesn't do bricks that are uneven length other than 1 and 3 studs, most lengths you can just 'see'.
    bobabricks
    Might be handy for people who lose count easily - probably sounds daft to most, but on my more brainfoggy days I've definitely got mixed up trying to grab the right length of beam! But yes, the fact it apparently didn't sell well enough to be kept available suggests we're in the minority...
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,402
    ^ You mean every set over $10. 
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2016
    @Tkatt
    There are 5 available to buy on Bricklink if you are really interested (part no.852759)
    Also the dimensions it measures from Brickipedia:
    Height: 1-10 Bricks high, Length: 1-20 studs long, Technic Beam: 1-15 studs long and Technic Axle: 2-12 studs long. It also has a hole for hanging the ruler up.
    catwrangler
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 808
    I bought one of those rulers, and yeah... I just... never used it.  About the only thing I could see using it for is for measuring slightly more difficult things like stacked plates/bricks, where counting by hand means alternating between counting by 1s, by 3s, or even by other strange numbers for certain elements.  But since it only goes up to 10 bricks, and doesn't have a "plates" increment, it's not really all that helpful even there.

So... cute, but I don't find it useful.  Mine sits quietly in a box of strange LEGO gear, along with some keychains, the LEGO folding ruler, a LEGO mini-basketball, and other similar quirky stuff.

DaveE
    bandit778
  • brickwifebrickwife Member Posts: 15
    @LostInTranslation Here it is! And it really is non-stick too. Highly recommend- although would suggest less terrifying decoration. 

LostInTranslationkiki180703catwranglerbandit778bobabricksricecake
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 461
    Tkatt said:

I found one these in my lot. Doesn't seem very useful to me. 
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    brickwife said:
    @LostInTranslation Here it is! And it really is non-stick too. Highly recommend- although would suggest less terrifying decoration. 

@brickwife  NICE CAKE! Did you have to  butter and flour the mold before using it, and does the cake slide out without a voodoo dance or some other weird performing act? Need to know fast as it is time to slide my test cake in the oven. Thanks!
    Other questions about using the cake mold:
    -how high should you fill the mold with cake batter?
    -do you need to place a baking sheet or pan under the mold so it does not melt in the shape of the rack it sits on?
    -how difficult is it to get the complete baked cake to flip out of the pan?
    -do you cook it at the temp called for on the box or in the recipe or sumpin' else as they say in the South? 

Call me nuts, but I love to bake cakes anytime. And this is a test run for my granddaughter's upcoming second birthday. Gotta get it right! This one is yellow cake with a pint of fresh blueberries as I usually put fresh fruit in my cakes. Blackberries and strawberries and peaches are calling to me at our farmers' market. Then there are raspberries and apricots along with bananas and apples and figs and raisins. This could take a while with just one mold. Duh!

^ haven't done that one but here are a few thoughts.

The norm is 2/3 but if you are using fruit in it will complicate matters. I imagine if you normally put fruit in cakes you will know light/dense your cake is and adjust accordingly.  the advantage Is that if you are a bit short on hit you still get the shape.

-do you need to place a baking sheet or pan under the mold so it does not melt in the shape of the rack it sits on?

I would, if for anything to catch any overflow if you do overfill.

Pass, I always butter tins, even non-stick. A trick is to give it a few minutes in the mould out the oven before flipping it, it normally helps.

-do you cook it at the temp called for on the box or in the recipe or sumpin' else as they say in the South? 

As long as you ensure you have filled all the base and give it a wee tap to get big air pockets out I would say a lower heat, (you know your oven). This should give it a more even rise and prevent it doming too much which well be a pain to chop off.

bandit778kiki180703LostInTranslation
  • brickwifebrickwife Member Posts: 15
    legogal said:

@legogal I'm not sure how much I can help here - I love baking, but I'm not really a details person, so take a more slapdash approach...

Greasing/flouring. No. I'd run out of cake-release spray and couldn't face greasing by hand! The cake slipped straight out though without any effort. 

How is high should you fill?
    I don't know! I just did a standard recipe and put it in. It seemed quite shallow, but was okay once it came out. 

Baking sheet?
    yes, I did. It seemed easier all round. 

Easy to to get out?
    amazingly, yes. I've never had any luck with silicone before, but this just slipped out. 

Temperature?
    I stuck with the temperature I always use for a standard sponge cake. 

I hope yours goes well!
    bandit778LostInTranslation
    Thanks! It came out just fine without butter and flour before pouring the batter in. It tasted wonderful, too! It took forever to bake with a pint of blueberries. Used maybe 2/3 of the box of cake mix batter, probably due to the berries, which sank to the bottom of the pan during baking. Good luck with yours!
    brickwife
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,088
    What LEGO gear would I like to see brought back?   Hmmmmm.... ;-)

kiki180703davetheoxygenmancatwranglerBrickmanVorpalRyu