Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Who has the most LEGO?

LegoAerologistLegoAerologist Mid Ameica USAMember Posts: 25
edited May 2016 in Everything else LEGO

Who has the most Legos on Earth? Excluding Lego Land,  and the  production factory's.

Clarifying: (excluding Lego itself) Who, or what group, publicly clams ownership of the most logos, model sets, and individual pieces, on Earth?

(In short: Who is the real life "Lego Maniac"?)

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Michael LeCount?
    LostInTranslationSalamalexkiki180703
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    edited May 2016
    ^ except Walmart is probably the largest retailer in the world that stocks LEGO and their supply chain probably has massive warehouses so they're probably way above TRU.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,313
    I don't know about Walmart but their UK arm (asda) is pretty good at selling stock, so even though they sell a lot, their turnover makes it appear like less. I imagine the same with Amazon, huge sales but huge turnover. I really don't know about TRU, it was a joke.
  • jon11380jon11380 25 minutes from the LEGO Shop MKMember Posts: 56
    I second Micheal Lecount. There are houses in Sheffield where floors are support by it!
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Does anyone here actually have any legos? 
    pharmjodPitfall69SprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    No legos. Just a lot of Lego.
    RonyarOldfankiki180703
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 495
    MattsWhat said:
    Does anyone here actually have any legos? 
    Yes, lots in fact and in many different colors too.  Deal with it.  ;)  :p
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    No legos. Just a lot of Lego.
    Nope, no Lego. Just LEGO Bricks.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    I collect plastic. 
    catwranglerbrumeykiki180703
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 376
     Merlin Entertainment owns  all the LegoLand parks and the Discovery Centers. Lots of Lego at those places.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 917
    No "Legos" for me, but I do have some Lego bricks/sets :P
  • LegoAerologistLegoAerologist Mid Ameica USAMember Posts: 25

So, Michael LeCount, is a hoarder, and collector. But is he a "Lego maniac"?

(my apologies to the group, I meant "Lego" plural not Legos) Any other thoughts? 

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,518
    If you are just talking private collections/hoards, then I am sure there are a few individuals with more than 10 million bricks.
    There will be several companies with much more than that. 
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    No offense to Michael, but does he really have 10 million bricks?

Reading what I can, he said he had 10 million bricks, and about 3,000 sets (in mint condition), and *A* room dedicated to LEGO?  I've got a bit over 1 million, and very little of it is boxed, and it takes up a VERY LARGE room (about 15'x25' maybe?), and doesn't even fit all of it.  Supposedly the LEGO model shops have around 3 million, and they have extra storage rooms for "backup LEGO" beyond what's sorted.  And they don't have boxed sets, which are horribly inefficient space-wise.

I'm assuming that 3,000 sets is just the MISB stuff he's got, since I have more than 3,000 sets, and nowhere close to 10 million pieces.  3,000 sets should be in the ballpark of 500k-1M elements, depending on how big your average set is.

Mostly, I ask because I've met people in the past who have claimed they have "millions of pieces", but they had no basis for that number.  Just gut feel.

I've met fans with 1-2 million bricks, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see people with 2-3 million, or even 5.  But given how much space my LEGO takes up in my house, I'd imagine a collection of 10 million bricks taking up 3,000-5,000 square feet of space, which is a HUGE house in its own right, let alone having space for humans to live alongside the LEGO.

DaveE

In the end, it may be an open question, personal bias clouding the issue. But like all things, the discussion has been fruitful, and opened many side issues to consider.

I would think anyone with "1 room for Lego(s)" would actually be too small a collection for what we are discussing.

I agree the, "5,000 square feet of space", is a good estimate for 10 million "bricks".

But what then, dose "the largest private collection of Lego (s)" look like? When Lego company builds a tower, what is the estimated number of bricks in it?

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,703
    ^ I used to live in Halifax. That is a gorgeous recreation of Dean Clough! Wow!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,545
    jon11380 said:
    I second Micheal Lecount. There are houses in Sheffield where floors are support by it!
    No no, he didn't use it to support floors, he just used it as roof insulation.

I'm not even joking either...
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,545
    ^^^ Yes, given that he has a whole separate house for his Lego, you'd think that there wouldn't be any in the house that he lives in. But there's loads!

In terms of quantity of pieces, I probably have about 150,000 pieces now, and that's almost all in one small back bedroom. I can actually see Michael having somewhere around the 10m mark altogether.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited May 2016
    When Lego company builds a tower, what is the estimated number of bricks in it?
    Obviously it depends on the actual design, but the more recent 35m towers had something like 550,000 bricks.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    @davee123 I've no idea how many bricks Michael has but he doesn't have a large room dedicated to LEGO, he has a large (Victorian?) House dedicated to it.
    Alright, THAT sounds much more plausible.  The article I was reading seemed to state something along the lines of "we had to move to accommodate the LEGO, and now he has a room dedicated to it", which... sounded very suspicious.

DaveE
    edited May 2016

Well, then I would have to include LEGOLAND and Lego corporate itself, I think we should keep the discussion to "private owners". Charity groups, or clubs, might be an exception.
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    I'm beyond a LEGO Maniac, i'm a true LEGO Master.