Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Ben Fogle needs to get a clue

MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455

He's a brand ambassador, yet he comes out with this rubbish:

"When I was a child, Lego came in brick form. You would buy boxes of random bricks and you would use your imagination to build your mind. The box of multi-coloured bricks would be transformed into anything you wanted, free from the mantles of prescription. There was no right and no wrong. Everyone was a winner."

"Today, Lego sells most of its bricks in kit form. Big and, dare I say, expensive boxes with intricate instructions on how to build remarkable things like space rockets or sunken ships.

“Where once Lego offered a whimsical form of escapism into the world of sub-conscious encouraging creativity and imagination, it has transformed into a rigid box-ticking discipline where children are encouraged to build by conformity.

“One misaligned brick during assembly or one tiny lost component can spell disaster."

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/education/lego-ruined-world-says-ben-fogle/

@drdavewatford - someone needs to tell Lego so they can do damage limitation on this nonsense.

The only thing he's right about is that he can dare to say they're expensive. Although considering he was educated at Bryanston School casts a small amount of doubt as to whether he would consider Lego to be expensive as he was growing up.

Jackad7

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    Wow. I expect that nonsense from the average parent that isn't knowledgeable about the brand, but an ambassador? How does he not know that LEGO makes a TON of general brick boxes???
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 680
    Wasn't that the point of the LEGO movie. Also Ben Fogle is younger than me and my first sets had instructions in the mid - late 70's.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455

He seemed fairly happy with playing with an actual set here:

http://prexamples.com/2012/04/lego-choose-fogle-as-first-ever-brand-ambassador/

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    donutboy said:
    Also Ben Fogle is younger than me and my first sets had instructions in the mid - late 70's.
    It's been a lot longer than that. There were kit-type sets at the end of the '50s, although they really started to become more plentiful in the mid '60s. By the time that Fogle was old enough for LEGO sets, most of them were kit-type.

I'd say his memory was faulty, but there's another possibility explanation. The largest sets used to be just boxes of bricks. Coming from a wealthy background, it's not hard to imagine that's what he as given as a child, even though other children might've wanted, or be given, "complete toys" like a plane or a car.

Yes, you can still get boxes of bricks, but there's only a limited number of variations of those that you can sell. So the rest are kit-type.

MaffyD said:

He's a brand ambassador

No he isn't. He WAS an ambassador for a short while a few years ago.

This whole thing is weird. He was riding on the tails of the anti-SATs strike, criticising how children "now face a constant stream of assessment by an education system obsessed with box-ticking". Kit-type LEGO sets are supposed to be much the same sort of thing - follow the instructions and tick the box - "a mirror to our education system as a whole". You can agree with any of that, or not, as you will. The thing is that, at the time he was talking at the Boarding Schools Association conference, a system of education that already applies much more frequent and rigorous testing that SATs ever will.

Another twist is that "he had watched his son fall apart because the finished product did not resemble the photograph on the box". Huh?

Something else is going on here.
    LostInTranslationcatwranglerbrumeyMasterBeefy
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    edited May 2016
    "Something else is going on here" 

Maybe he has a new venture he wishes to promote and knows that criticising Lego in such a ridiculous way will get him media coverage? 
    Hmmm..... 

What an idiot he is. 
    catwrangler

What an idiot he is. 
    Perhaps somebody spiked his drink with LSD again? Again?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2016
    I try to follow the instructions to avoid falling apart too.  It never resembles what it is supposed to...

Rainstorm26OldfancatwranglerGoldchains
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    edited May 2016
    Never seen a Lego employee or representative threaten non-instruction users. At the least, it's not Lego's problem. I only use instructions when I want to and could care less when I don't want them.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Wait.. You could care less? ;) 
    RogerKirkSumoLegoPitfall69TheBigLegoski
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    Sethro3
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    MattsWhat said:
    It means he actually cares. ;)
    jhuntin1SumoLego
  • jhuntin1jhuntin1 Indiana, USAMember Posts: 40
    MattsWhat said:
    It means he actually cares. ;)
    At least a little... ;)
    SumoLegoOldfan
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    TigerMoth said:

Something else is going on here.
    Yes, he's a [email protected]
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    if we went his way every set would probably be made of just bricks looking ugly and unattractive. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,724
    dragon114 said:
    if we went his way every set would probably be made of just bricks looking ugly and unattractive. 
    Ah, they would be full of imagination and nobody would judge anyone...

Unicorns, rainbows, lollipops and everyone couldn't care more.  Or less.  More or less.
    gmonkey76chuckpLostInTranslationTheMaker37brumey
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2016
    Does he like Minecraft sets? They hark back to the "good old days" more than a lot of modern sets. I think we should ask him...

Okay, I'll stop, I promise... ;-)
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    Apart from perhaps this little quote:

"Only adult superfans, known as AFOLs (adult fans of Lego) painstakingly preserve their original creations."

I'm not sure that's fair on the huge number of AFOLs who spend many, many hours creating the most amazing MOCs...
    dutchlegofan50
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    --+ keep messing with Lego and see what happens.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited May 2016
    Does this Ben Fogle guy ealize that kids are free to build other things with the pieces? Saying that "LEGO has ruined the world" sounds more like he has an axe to grind. Perhaps he's upset he didn't get a May the 4th Space Slug offer.
    SumoLegopharmjodgmonkey76Rainstorm26Oldfancatwranglerbrumeyiso3200
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2016
    Does the imagination in a box count as part of the pieces and can I buy it from Bricks and Pieces as I seem to have lost all of mine? (Does that mean I also no longer have the set?)

catwrangler
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    Why is it that people always remember Lego as just a big box of bricks rather than sets? Do they think that large plastic tub their parents had for them was bought from the shop like that rather than filled over years of birthdays and Christmas presents? Always seemed rather ungrateful to me.

Comments are right though does seem like he had a greivance against them, or perhaps as an ex Lego ambassador thought he could be taken as some sort of expert on the subject. 

Was his removal as an ambassador particularly notorious? 
    catwrangler
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    The line about his child being frustrated by a misplaced or lost piece really stuck out to me. Kids will always struggle with frustration or difficulties while growing up in both play and school. Teaching them how to overcome and conquer is what turns a child into an adult ready to live on their own. If your kid misunderstands the directions in a Lego set or writes a letter 'e' backwards, great! Take time to help them figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. Wanting everything to be perfect and easy for your kid is the worst thing you can do and frankly, lazy. 
    LostInTranslationMattsWhatbandit778Oldfancatwranglerchuckpgmonkey76pharmjod
    Why is it that people always remember Lego as just a big box of bricks rather than sets? Do they think that large plastic tub their parents had for them was bought from the shop like that rather than filled over years of birthdays and Christmas presents? Always seemed rather ungrateful to me.
    A good many children have inherited collections - which are almost always a box of bricks, not sets. Even if they subsequently get large sets of their own, they're still going to be add-ons to the original collection.
    Was his removal as an ambassador particularly notorious? 
    No. He was only used for one campaign when Forest Police was launched. He had presented some children's TV with a nature twist, so it fitted. He was more of an ambassador for TLG and the new range, rather than a LEGO Ambassador as such. "Removal" may therefore not be an appropriate word.

He hit the news about a year later when he flipped and had to be locked up by his wife until he could be sedated and taken away. He claimed that somebody had slipped psychotropic drugs into his drink. He hasn't seem to have done a lot since then. Draw your own conclusions but, whatever the facts, I can understand companies dealing with children quietly forgetting him.
    Tufted_duck
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    I still take issue with some of the reply...

Lego was always about following instructions. Not really, it was only if you wanted it to be. My parents bought me and my brothers a bucket full of second hand lego. There were some instructions in there, but we rarely looked at them. We had the occasional set. They were normally build once and then junked into the bucket for parts.

I am not a fan of Lego’s increasing reliance on tie-ups with big Hollywood franchises, nor its rather cynical attempt to make many of the sets collectible - encouraging parents to shell out yet more money to make, for instance, the Nexo Knights Fortrex as interactive as possible. I agree with the first bit, I think there are too many licenses these days. But not the second part (if I am reading it correctly). I think it is great that sets are released at a range of different price points and that there is choice within a range. The sets can be as interactive as money allows. A kid can play with a cheap sub-£10 set or they can go full on in for £200 if they are really into it.

Only adult superfans, known as AFOLs (adult fans of Lego) painstakingly preserve their original creations. Some of us don't! I rarely build 50% of the sets I buy, they go straight in the parts bin. And at the other extreme (not so much for me), the creations don't get created as they are kept in sealed boxes.
    catwrangler
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I evidently missed when he was appointed as a Lego ambassador in the first place. I only knew him as a nature presenter, and I had no idea he ever had any connection to Lego!
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    That URL may be my favourite thing about this whole thing.

"There are many things ruining the world for our children, BUT LEG"

10/10
    catwrangler
  • LegoAerologistLegoAerologist Mid Ameica USAMember Posts: 25

I usually built everything in the instructions, then I tore them apart and built what I wanted.

Its for fun: you build what you want (free style I think they call it), or follow the detailed instructions and come up with something else to play with. This seems like the same argument one would have with "Tyco", "Mega Blocks" or "Lincoln logs". Lego is more then a modeling kit! Lego is a Key to a child's imagination. It can help them to grow  up into engineers, or construction workers, or an assembly line workers, or a car mechanic. O it can have no affect on them at all!

It depends on the child, and the imagination of the individual.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    I evidently missed when he was appointed as a Lego ambassador in the first place. I only knew him as a nature presenter, and I had no idea he ever had any connection to Lego!
    As a nature presenter; he should know that his comments stink of manure.
    snowhitie
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,807
    I did like him presenting 'the big fish' recently on BBC but now he's just fishing for attention whilst sprouting carp....
    LostInTranslationTufted_duckbendybadger
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    So I must be missing what he's talking about? I grew up with the instruction based sets and yes I would buis them with the instructions, that would stay for about a week and then I would take them apart and make ships and other stuff with them. I think he grew up from the free building imagination of a child to the reality of being an adult (who do have imaginations, many of us are more compulsive about following the instructions).

snowhitie said:
    I did like him presenting 'the big fish' recently on BBC but now he's just fishing for attention whilst sprouting carp....
    You have your "a" and "r" reversed ;)
    Regardless whether there are instructions or not, nobody is forced to build exactly what is pictured on the box. I buy lots of sets just for the parts and build MOC's, especially with Modular Buildings.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^You are forced. Each set sold comes with a person to watch you as you follow the instructions exactly as they are shown.
    Lyichircatwrangler
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Instructions force kids to build only the pre determined model just as a sign saying the speed limit is 50 keeps anyone from going faster :P This guy sounds like a dink.
    ...must follow instructions...  must follow instructions...
    catwrangler
    ^ I think he is saying "take this ****er out, ram him from the side."

Meanwhile the girls get to play on their 1/4 of the table with no interaction from the father at all.
    Oldfancatwrangler
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    According to Google Translate: "build it this way! No! The car goes here!"
    Pitfall69
    Yes, it is a meme that (I assume) pitfall made to illustrate the point (the point of the thread and the point of the father).
    Pitfall69
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 462
    MattsWhat said:
    I try to follow the instructions to avoid falling apart too.  It never resembles what it is supposed to...

Hahah, that's ace! What's it from?
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,807
    Interestingly, the guardian has also picked up on Ben's speech but although the beginning of the article seems to agree with him at the end I was pleased to read:

"And that’s where Fogle, who drew parallels between Denmark’s most famous export and an education culture “obsessed with box-ticking”, was perhaps unfair to Lego. For the toy company is now actively campaigning for kids to break up their flatpacks and invent something new with the pieces.

That was the thunderingly obvious theme of last year’s hit The Lego Movie, which (spoiler alert) told the story of a boy banned from playing with a Lego cityscape built by his prissy spoilsport of a dad. Naturally the kid can’t resist, and so begins an animated adventure whose subversive message is that creativity sometimes means breaking rules. "

(From " our education system needs a Lego moment ")
    catwranglerAllBrick
    ^ Wait, what was the Lego Movie about?

I totally saw that as a triumph of the Man Upstairs quelling some silly child's notions of mixing sets.
    MattsWhatAllBrickMasterBeefyOldfan
    Well, at least Ben Folge didn't pick up Jared Fogle's obsessions. 
    MasterBeefySumoLegoKingAlanI
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 51

I vaguely remember another (or this one) article bemoaning the loss of the brick built model and the lack of imagination that the new sets breed with their specialty parts.

I have been in to Lego for nearly 40 years and remember with great fondness the models that I built, both sets and MOCs and have watched the evolution of parts and now my son has caught the habit, I can watch him as he uses the Lego as he sees it, building sets and then MOCs, the variety of parts only expands the possibilities and therefor the imagination.

If 2 2x4 bricks can be put together in 24 ways http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71971then the permutations can only go further when you add SNOT technics made possible by angle pieces or any other specialty part.

My view is the more parts the more scope for imagination.

catwranglerRogerKirkLyichir
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,435
    Sounds like Ben Fogle was a huge Gallidor fan spurned that people accuse that set for ruining the Lego experience.
    catwrangler
    ^ That would be pretty ironic, because Galidor was devoid of any creativity or imagination.

And building blocks...