Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Edinburgh AFOL Meetup

warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
edited April 2016 in Community and Events
Hi all,

Steve (LEGOAvon) and I were chatting and thought that we're well overdue for another meetup in Scotland. That - and I think he wants an excuse to come and visit my studio :-)

So, we're going to have an open Scottish AFOL meet, inviting any AFOLs in Scotland to come and have a cup of tea, show off your MOCs, talk LEGO etc and then go the pub :-)

When:    Saturday 21st May
Where:   My studio, just outside Edinburgh off the ring road. I'll email directions to anyone that needs them.
Times:    From around 10am
Pub:       http://cockatoomidlothian.co.uk/. We'll adjourn at some point!

If you'd like to come, then all are welcome - Scottish or not! There's no fixed agenda or timetable, though it would be great to try to get as many people there as possible and I suspect they'll be discussion of a Scottish LUG too at some point! (big hint: I am NOT volunteering to organise that! Been there, done that...)

If you can reply here to let me know if you are coming then I can make sure we have enough biscuits! Hopefully we can tempt some of the more northerly members to come down too - LEGO_Star? We're easily accessible by train now too.

Anyway, hope to see some of you there!

Warren
LegoAvonDougTemplarnexanderkiki180703raygunn

Comments

• LegoAvonLegoAvon AberdeenshireMember Posts: 10
    Thanks Warren. see you there
    Photo of the old studio, Last time I was there was April 2014, from the youtube clips the new place looks alot nicer. 
  • TartanDarrenTartanDarren Cruden BayMember Posts: 4
    should be a really good day can't wait
    LegoAvonkiki180703
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 872
    Should know tonight once I clear it with the boss but hopefully will be ok!
    LegoAvonkiki180703
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 528
    I can't make it :( But hopefully can make the next one!
  • dmtadmta EdinburghMember Posts: 2
    I'm pretty interested in coming along. I'm in Portobello so not too far from the Cockatoo by car.
    Also, a reminder that the free Lego in the Daily Mail (I'm not a fan of the paper but can't resist the Lego) starts on that day (Sat 21st May)- it tends to go quick so if you want it it might be best to pick it up before the event!
    LegoAvonkiki180703
  • DexscotlandDexscotland Livingston, ScotlandMember Posts: 11
    Really interested in this, hopefully work schedule will fall in my favour (rota system for saturdays). Very kind of you to open up your studio to everyone Warren.
    LegoAvon
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    Sounds great! If i can make travel work It'd be good meet some other afols
    LegoAvon
    Looks like I'm in! Any other of the Glasgow lot coming? Im driving so am willing to give a lift to anyone who gets to Cumbernauld. Sorry, don't have time to come into town.
    Anyone able to stream this live for me since I'm dead jealous that i'm missing out? :)
    Don't worry, we will send you lots of pics!
    LegoAvonDougTemplarkiki180703
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 236
    Would like to have come along but working that Saturday. The joys of working shifts gets in the way of Lego again! :-(
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,226
    I'm working but I'll see if I can swing the morning off as it would be fun! :)
    ^It should be a fun day, hope u can make it. There is a few coming down on the train from Aberdeen, picking up a few stragglers on the way, a proper Lego train! I'm wondering if warren knows what he has gotten himself in for :)
    khmellymelkiki180703
    I'm in but need directions am afraid. 
    Don't worry, I'm sure warren will release directions to his secret base/studio/lair in good time :)
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    I will :-) I'll do it in one big swoop nearer the time! I wish I had a lair though.....
    LegoAvon
  • purple_toadstoolpurple_toadstool Member Posts: 2
    Hi I've just seen this thread and would like to come along, would be nice to meet some local afols, would you be able to send me directions.  Thanks.
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 596
    I might be able to come for a bit in the morning/early afternoon. Will do my best to get there as it will be swell to meet more AFOLs
    Hope everyone is looking forward to tomorrow! If you are planning on coming and don't have directions - not ow is the time to shout!
  • dmtadmta EdinburghMember Posts: 2
    Hope everyone is looking forward to tomorrow! If you are planning on coming and don't have directions - not ow is the time to shout!
    Hi, I hope to come along- I've sent a private message requesting location/directions details.

Cheers, Dave
    Thank you to Warren and Kitty for letting us all visit the Lego studio, and cheers to the folk that came along. Nice to meet you all, I hope we can all build on some friendships made.

cheers Steve L.
    raygunnDexscotlandBOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    Would like to say a massive thanks to @warrenelsmore and Kitty for being great hosts and let us nosey around the studio. it was a great turnout and met lots of new people. looking forward to building on it and meeting up again!
    DexscotlandLegoAvonBOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    Brilliant day yesterday at Warren and Kitty's secret lair. Thank you for inviting us and making us feel most welcome. Was good meeting everyone that made it and hopefully it won't be too long before the next meet-up.

Derek
    LegoAvonBOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
  • raygunnraygunn Member Posts: 90
    I'd also like to thank Warren and Kitty for being so welcoming yesterday and for posting the invite on Brickset (I wouldn't have known otherwise). It was a great day getting to know some other likeminded people. Already looking forward to the next opportunity to meet up again.

Steve.
  • Kitefly123Kitefly123 EdinburghMember Posts: 6
    Just joined this site but met a few of you's at Warrens on Saturday,was great to meet/chat to all,Dexscotland are you the same Derek I spoke to afterwards in the car park?(am more commonly known as billy/William Wallace) 

Yes Kitefly123 that was me. how drenched did you get walking down the road?
    LegoAvon
  • Kitefly123Kitefly123 EdinburghMember Posts: 6
    Actually missed it,got a bit drizzly but nothing heavy

• BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 465
    A belated thanks to Warren and Kitty for their hospitality on Saturday. Hopefully the event will be the catalyst for many friendships and collaborations going forward.

P.S. Happy birthday Kitty, hope you had a good day!
    Hi everyone, I've been speaking with a few folk and we propose to have another social gathering of AFOLs in Edinburgh just to touch base(plates) and build (see what I did there) on the gathering Warren kindly hosted.

I've organised the function room on the 27th of June at Mccowans Brewhouse, Fountain Park, 134 Dundee St, Edinburgh EH11 1AF.  Starting from around 6pm but lasting a good few hours for those who are going to be later (which could be me as well)

The Pub Function room is an average size and has tables in case anyone wants to bring stuff to show or swap etc but more importantly for anyone who is travelling into the city centre, there's car parking (4hrs free if you validate) and it's got good transport links and walking distance to Haymarket Train Station.

As you all know I was gutted that I missed out on the gathering in Edinburgh at Warren's Top Secret Base (It's in an old hollowed out volcano or a large cave under Wayne Manor isn't it?). And I know I wasn't the only person who couldn't make it in the end so hopefully those who couldn't make it then might be able to make it on the 27th.

I want to stress the idea is an open to all, social and relaxed gathering just to keep the communication momentum going and putting names to faces. No need to bring anything along other than yourselves but if you want to show stuff you are more than welcome.

Please do spread the invite far and wide not just on Brickset or Facebook etc.  Let me know if you think you can make it so we have a rough idea for numbers.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    Been given the ok by the boss to go! Can bring some cmf/polys/sets to trade/sell. If anyone coming is interested pm me, I need warning to get them out of storage :)
    DougTemplar
    I can't commit 100% but will certainly try to make it. I'll know for definate nearer the time. Thanks.
    DougTemplar
    Should be able to make it on the 27th! 
    DougTemplar

Just a wee reminder for Monday. Not sure when I will be there but prob about5-6ish.

also I feel the need to address the obvious scheduling issue. No, not the football, those of that persuasion will be catered for with tvs in the pub. I'm talking about the bigger issue, Game of Thrones!

As committed afolers I expect everyone will have their vcr set, with a new tape, to watch when you get home. For those nutters who intend to watch it in the early morning can we have a no spoiler pact? can we agree on a death by a thousand flick missiles punishment?

raygunnCommanderRaabDougTemplar
  • FraserDallFraserDall GlasgowMember Posts: 2
    It'll probably be around 7 before I get there. I'm one of the few people who doesn't watch GoT which may make me a weirdo, but at least not a spoiler hazard!
    DougTemplar
    Good to meet folk last night. Hope you all managed to get to GoT spoiler free. We did make it to the cinema but perhaps we shouldnt have done... In a related note the new Independence Day film is not good. 
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBDougTemplarkhmellymelFraserDall
    Yep, a great meetup and handy location too. Looking forward to the next one, wherever it is!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBDougTemplarFraserDall
    Sorry all, I was planning on coming through but I got caught up at work.
    Thanks for the invite, will try to make it next time.

Bob

Had a great night as well, was nice to meet some new faces too!

expect another one some point over the hols, not sure when though.

Venue was spot on as well, good choice @dougtemplar

Hello everyone since the festival is still on and the city is as busy as usual the next Edinburgh AFOL Meet up will be on TUESDAY 6th of September.

I've organised the function room on the at Mccowans Brewhouse, Fountain Park, 134 Dundee St, Edinburgh EH11 1AF.  Starting from around 6pm but lasting a good few hours for those who are going to be later (which could be me as well)

So same AFOL-place new AFOL-date (in the style of Batman Producer Voiceover) .

I don't think that will clash with the West of Scotland Gatherings and indeed my general plan was to meet the first full week (we might have to move the day depending on everyon) of every odd number month.